Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Personally I find the too often argued take that the Silmarillion is written in the form of an unreliable and biased narrator pretty dumb and really just an unnecessary attempt to be contrarian. Yes it is accurate that it’s essentially the in-universe Elvish biblical account of creation and the early days of Arda but the difference between that and the real life Bible, and especially even older mythological tales, is that several of the key figures who took part in these events were still alive and well in the LoTR. Galadriel was only one generation removed from the first born Elves and grew up with them. And plenty more Elves, including those who were among the very first awoken, are still hanging around in Valinor with the lower case G gods who know first hand everything since before the universe was a thing. So they really do know first or second hand what happened in mythological times.

Same, I've always enjoyed the more mythic parts of the Silmarillion, but quite literally people who spoke and knew Earendil are still in Middle Earth, so either he is actually Venus or Elrond has a giant memory problem. Also the untold number of elves that still remember a time before the sun and the moon, such as all of the Sindarin elves. I just eventually handwave it as Tolkien getting a bit to carried away a few times and letting poetic license take over. Having immortal characters inherently creates a problem if you want to evoke a mythic quality to it, unless you then do the subsequent layer of unreliable narrator and say that actually the Silmarillion is the account as told by Bilbo as well from his own memory of his time in Rivendell. And frankly that's unsatisfying as hell.

I just shunt all of these things in the same place I put the idea that Middle Earth is actually our Earth just in 15000 BC or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
670 pages of people discussing textual composition, layers of authorial intent, redaction, and stylistic elements.
Tolkien the scholar is presumably cackling at us all from beyond the grave, rubbing his ink-stained hands together.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Data Graham posted:

ok once a year starting ... now

I’m just giving you poo poo, brother. Love your posts in all the threads.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I subscribe to the "biased Silmarillion author" interpretation just because it provides a very tidy solution to the dilemma of Orcs. Melkor didn't create them at all, Eru didn't create a whole people solely to be despised by the other Children, and they don't lack free will: rather, Orcishness is a spiritual condition which can be made to both proliferate under and reinforce oppressive social hierarchies, and Elves, whose grudges also can live forever, weren't exactly inclined to view them with sympathy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. Tom Bombadil isn't powerful because he's a level 300 arch-something with a +7 to BLT who takes half damage from AGV. He's just Tom Bombadil.

he needed all those levels to survive being thrown down the toilet

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. Tom Bombadil isn't powerful because he's a level 300 arch-something with a +7 to BLT who takes half damage from AGV. He's just Tom Bombadil.

Tom! Ol’ Tom, Tom Bombadlillo! was by far the worst omission from the OG Deities and Demigods D&D rulebook

Armor class: 25
Hit Points: 10^*(10^100)

Post his attacks and special abilities below.

e: Once per turn, Ol’ Tom can point his finger at anyone, PC or NPC, and the character completely vanishes.

This character is now the property of the DM, will never again be seen in the primary game world, and now lives on in a completely featureless, soundless, heatless void which is completely empty until Tom points his finger at another one

(If using discord, recommend using Private Room #1)

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 18, 2022

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What the gently caress is the Embracer Group and how did they just purchase all the rights to LoTR?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

and before long, you too will be in its embrace

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tom! Ol’ Tom, Tom Bombadill-O! Roll a D8 and take a big chance-A-rill’o!

1-2: No effect, Ol’ Tom has taken pity on the player character

3-6: Player character becomes a beautiful, multi-colored butterfly, who flits around the party for the duration on the campaign, but has no ability to partake in or influence events

7-8: Player character becomes a reed, gently bending in the golden, flowing waters of the nearest stream, for all eternity

OK, I promise I will stop now.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MrMojok posted:

This character is now the property of the DM, will never again be seen in the primary game world, and now lives on in a completely featureless, soundless, heatless void which is completely empty until Tom points his finger at another one

Still a kinder fate than listening to Jolly Tom's rhyme-a-dillo, merry dong.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Toke-a-lid! Smoke-a-lid! Pop the mescalino!
Stash the hash! Gonna crash! Make mine methedrino!
Hop a hill! Pop a pill! For Old Tim Benzedrino!

Snorting, sporting! Speeding through the arbor,
Pushing till the folk you burn toss you in the harbor!
Screeching like a dying loon, zooming like a thrush,
Follow me and very soon, your mind will turn to mush!
Higher than the nowhere birds grooving in the air,
We'll open up a sandal shop where everyone will share!
Flower folk are springing up, wearing bead and boot,
And if you down me you can stick a flower up your snoot!
To Love and Peace and Brotherhood we all can snort a toast,
And if the heat is on again, we'll all split to the Coast!

Oh uncool bush! Unloose this passle
Of furry cats that you hassle!
Tho' speed my brain's destroyed,
I'm not half this paranoid!
So cease this bummer, down the freak-out,
Let caps and joints cause brains to leak-out!
These cats are groovy here among us,
So leave 'em be, you up-tight fungus!

Tim, Tim, Benzedrine! Hash! Boo! Valvoline!
Clean! Clean! Clean for Gene!
First, second, neutral, park,
Hie thee hence, you leafy narc!

O slender as a speeding freak! Spaced-out groovy tripper!
O mush-brained maid whose mind decays with every pill I slip her!
O mind-blown fair farina-head, friend of birds and beetles!
O skinny wraith whose fingernails are hypodermic needles!
O tangled locks and painted bod! Pupils big as eggs!
O flower-maid who never bathes or even shaves her legs!
O softened mind that wanders wherever moon above leads!
O how I dig thee, Hashberry, from nose to sleazy love-beads!

I've brought four with me to crash,
So now's the time to pass the stash.

Then celebrate and take a toke,
To make us giggle, gag and choke!

Hither come and suck a pipe,
Turn your brains to cheese and tripe!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What the gently caress is the Embracer Group and how did they just purchase all the rights to LoTR?

Some Swedish video game producers by the look of things. They bought LOTR rights fron the Saul Zaentz Group?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OK, this was just plain mean. Reported.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not the anachronism that bothers me about Sexy Shelob, it's that it just strikes me as crass commercial capitalism sexualizing literally anything vaguely female because sexy art sells more copies of the game than a non-sexualized spider would.

Tolkien's Middle-Earth: A Non-Sexualized Spider

Also if we're talking Bored of the Rings, it's sort of interesting that Shelob being Sauron's ex is something it and shadow of whatever have in common.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was very strange reading this at like age 11.

I thought it was just a bunch of Mad Magazine randomness

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

It was very strange reading this at like age 11.

I thought it was just a bunch of Mad Magazine randomness

Yeah nobody would explain why "dildo" was a bad word

Book ended up going to goodwill over my protests

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EenEfXZ24JA

Mini trailer about Numenor and the role it will play in the show. Looks like the conflicting ideals between the Faithful and the King's Men will be the focal point.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i'd get sick of the elves too if they all talked in that voice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm in agreement with whoever said that Elves should sound like Finns. Just a whole bunch of ethereal beautiful people who sound like the Hydraulic Press Channel guy.

And here ve haf dis Dragön creaturr of Morgott. It is extremely dangerous and could attac at any time, so ve must deal vith it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They should all have that accent and do it in a total monotone, like Kimi Raikkonen.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't like PJ's interpretation of elves or dwarves tbh. Dwarves with the dumb laddie scottish poo poo and then elves sounding like they're on valium all the time. I never got the sense reading the books that elves sounded like that. They're not just stoic robots.

Before anyone says I'm overly negative I do think PJ generally did a good job with men/hobbits, with a few small exceptions like Denethor being way off and Faramir beating the poo poo out of Gollum for some reason.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Embracer group owns THQ Nordic, Gearbox, Coffee Stain, and Asmodee among others.

Really want to see a Coffee Stain LOTR game

Also, I didn't really like making Shelob sexy, but it wasn't completely indefensible. Shelob and Ungoliant are only ever described as "in the shape of a spider" and they're not mundane mortal creatures so we don't know what powers they have

Also Shelob was super creepy in game because I KNOW she's a giant spider, I do NOT want her getting close to me and acting all sexy, that's terrifying. So there's that, it definitely added something.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 18, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't like PJ's interpretation of elves or dwarves tbh. Dwarves with the dumb laddie scottish poo poo and then elves sounding like they're on valium all the time. I never got the sense reading the books that elves sounded like that. They're not just stoic robots.

Before anyone says I'm overly negative I do think PJ generally did a good job with men/hobbits, with a few small exceptions like Denethor being way off and Faramir beating the poo poo out of Gollum for some reason.

I think they had the word "ethereal" taped up on the wall or something, because they stuck with that one note.

Hell, one of the only bright spots of the Hobbit movies was the portrayal of the elves. Lee Pace is one of the only truly interesting and good parts of the movies, and showing the elves getting drunk and just being the petty bitches they are was nice.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

the dwarves in the hobbit trilogy were actually better than in the lotr movies because they actually sounded like they might be people

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm in agreement with whoever said that Elves should sound like Finns. Just a whole bunch of ethereal beautiful people who sound like the Hydraulic Press Channel guy.

And here ve haf dis Dragön creaturr of Morgott. It is extremely dangerous and could attac at any time, so ve must deal vith it.

Replying to say I appreciate this.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

This has been my take for a while now, welcome!

The animated Hobbit movie did this a little with Thranduil and I thought it worked, although visually he looked goofy as hell.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pham Nuwen posted:

The animated Hobbit movie did this a little with Thranduil

He’s just Austrian

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

One day we will get a Tolkien adaptation with the moral courage to recognise that tril-lil-lil-lolly, the valley is jolly

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Gotta say, not a fan of the Numenor teaser.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

One day we will get a Tolkien adaptation with the moral courage to recognise that tril-lil-lil-lolly, the valley is jolly

I'm reading The Hobbit to my kids for the first time, and my wife (who has zero knowledge of Tolkien outside the PJ LotR movies) has been sitting and listening with us. She's quite enjoyed it, more than even the kids.

But when they first meet the Elves in Rivendell her reaction was a solid :chloe:. PJ may have poisoned that well too badly.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Arc Hammer posted:

Hilarious was when I looked him up again for fresh reference and in the first video I turned up he was wearing an Amon Amarth t-shirt.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm reading The Hobbit to my kids for the first time, and my wife (who has zero knowledge of Tolkien outside the PJ LotR movies) has been sitting and listening with us. She's quite enjoyed it, more than even the kids.

But when they first meet the Elves in Rivendell her reaction was a solid :chloe:. PJ may have poisoned that well too badly.

I read it to my wife over the course of a few months. She enjoyed it, I enjoyed reading it to her, but I couldn't bring myself to sing the songs--I wasn't ready to tackle them without music, and I didn't feel like reading them out as pure poetry either. Except for the "Fifteen birds" song, that one rules and I definitely sang it like in the cartoon.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I read it to my wife over the course of a few months. She enjoyed it, I enjoyed reading it to her, but I couldn't bring myself to sing the songs--I wasn't ready to tackle them without music, and I didn't feel like reading them out as pure poetry either. Except for the "Fifteen birds" song, that one rules and I definitely sang it like in the cartoon.

It's not the songs in general, just the elves were not at all like her preconceived notions of them. "Why are the Elves so jolly and whimsical?" *Thinking hard how to answer this concisely* "They just are."

I haven't skipped any of the songs even though I know I'm butchering the meter of most of them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasn’t Shelobs appearance not actually “real” but a projection of what the main character probably wanted to see (and also the player in a meta commentary )

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
All LOTR songs should be sung to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

euphronius posted:

Wasn’t Shelobs appearance not actually “real” but a projection of what the main character probably wanted to see (and also the player in a meta commentary )

I always assumed she must have some way to communicate directly with mortals or Gollum wouldn't have been able to make a deal with her and she wouldn't give a poo poo about his 'worship'. It's implied that she can read his mind, in that he maintained his secret little plan to get his revenge on her after she tossed away the Ring but hoped to conceal it from her.

Also isn't she given actual dialogue read by a woman in the BBC Radio adaptation?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No I meant just in the dumb game

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

No I meant just in the dumb game

its not explicitly in his head. In the game, they posit that she is a Maia essentially by treating Ungoliant as either another Valar or a similar being that chose to manifest as a giant spider. That is not entirely off base as Melkor was able to converse and make a deal with her.

As a Maia, she is able to shapeshift, and appeared in human form with Sauron, becoming his lover in the second age. When Ar-Pharazon invaded, he abandons her. This leads to her being scorned. Initially she manipulates Talion into giving her the new ring he and Celebrimbor made. After the Nine attack her, she gives it back, hoping Talion will succeed in killing Sauron and then mostly is out of the game.

And i'll maintain that she is not sexualized in some kind of cheap way. she is a woman in a black dress. There is literally nothing in the game that treats her as a sexual object.

if you think this is sexualization, that's on you.

The game whips rear end and orc pokemons is the best version

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its not explicitly in his head. In the game, they posit that she is a Maia essentially by treating Ungoliant as either another Valar or a similar being that chose to manifest as a giant spider. That is not entirely off base as Melkor was able to converse and make a deal with her.

As a Maia, she is able to shapeshift, and appeared in human form with Sauron, becoming his lover in the second age. When Ar-Pharazon invaded, he abandons her. This leads to her being scorned. Initially she manipulates Talion into giving her the new ring he and Celebrimbor made. After the Nine attack her, she gives it back, hoping Talion will succeed in killing Sauron and then mostly is out of the game.

And i'll maintain that she is not sexualized in some kind of cheap way. she is a woman in a black dress. There is literally nothing in the game that treats her as a sexual object.

if you think this is sexualization, that's on you.

The game whips rear end and orc pokemons is the best version

She's a giant spider, and they made her a hot lady. No they weren't strutting her around in nipple pasties and a thong, but if you can't see why taking that character and anthropomorphicising her as a hot lady seems a little pandering, I don't know what to say. The actual execution didn't end up being terrible, it isn't some horribly sexist thing they did, but it does rub people the wrong way a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s the bare shoulders and strong lipstick probably (I don’t agree with they just probably the issue )

Looks like an elf .