Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Someone in my network got me in touch with some career coaches that are also recruiters. Here’s their recommendations

quote:

More than 5 years ago = Don’t mention it
Under a year = Don’t mention it
Maternity Leave = Parental Leave
School = Educational Leave
Just couldn’t find a job = Personal Sabbatical
Laid Off = Post-Layoff Job Search
Family Issues = Family Care Leave
Health Issues = Family Care Leave
Travel = Travel Leave
You moved = Relocation Leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

010724_4
Jan 7, 2024
tell me about a time when you had an angry client and the steps you took to resolve the issue. Go!

010724_4
Jan 7, 2024
welcome to your future, delirious chum bucket :smug:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Someone in my network got me in touch with some career coaches that are also recruiters. Here’s their recommendations

Thanks!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Huh, I was just going to ask about this. So if I've got an application asking me to explain any gaps in my employment, and I've got an 8 month gap between jobs that was basically spent recovering my health and sanity from that job as well as searching for another one, then I should just not mention it in that section? Or what?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I recently got asked to re-write my CV to cover all kinds of gaps and the recruiter didn't take the hint that my "heavily NDA'd freelance" work was illegally getting paid under the table to help a friend out when he was over-capacity and I was unemployed, without his clients being told that he wasn't doing the work himself. Apparently the client the recruiter was hiring for wanted to know every job I've ever had including two days spent in the stockroom of a bedding store before a big sale, and at that point I just could not be arsed and told the recruiter to either hand over the CV I had already submitted or gently caress off.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Thanks for the feedback goons, it was SUPER helpful!! Gonna take a metaphorical hatchet to those bullet points today.

Also, I am a big ol idiot who can't find the Game Jobs megathread :(

themaninblack
Aug 14, 2007
So a baby seal walks into a club...
Thank you all for your feedback. A lot of the criticisms validated my concerns. Here is my 2nd draft after trying to implement the feedback, does this seem any better - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TM5hTAzpwpw9ePQsVYLw4A83RtsNWuu5jx1jnPUEjrA/edit?usp=sharing

Lockback posted:

imo this is not a very good resume. I am not as anti-intro paragraph as others, but this is way too long for saying almost nothing. Cut it down to 2 sentences and actually say what you are instead of buzzword salad. You can have a couple of these resumes for different flavors of TPM.

3 pages is kinda ridiculous. No one is reading more than partway through the 2nd, so are you burying things you want people to see? Your full list of certs, awards and volunteering is probably better as a supplement rather than part of your resume (unless you are doing a full CV, which is rare in the US).

Your bullets are good (though they are too verbose), but I see a lot of things that sound very technical but I see absolutely zero technical skills listed. That is a problem, are you a technical project manager or are you a non-technical project manager who manages technical projects? These are two different things and your resume seems like its straddling both.

I'm curious what kind of jobs you're looking at for the next role, that might help in steering you on how to fix this. I don't think it was a waste of money, but you need to cut down what you got here and get it more focused. Likely you want 2 or even 3 resumes and use the one that fits the job the best.

Ideally I would be a technical project manager, or even transition back into a fully technical role. I am open to both, though I think my experience has made me a generalist which might make it harder to find a position. Maybe a manager/director at a smaller place would be an option. Based on what you read on my resume, what do you think might make the most sense? I am willing to cert up and do whatever, guess I need to focus and target a more defined role.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think summaries are a waste of space, but this one in particular..

reads like an ironic parody written by a junior writer for a straight-to-netflix “tech startup comedy”

also, cut down to a page

I really didn't like the summary either. Seemed corny as hell, the ChatGPT theory made me laugh. Maybe that's the Fiverr dude's hustle.

Magnetic North posted:

Fiverr Freddie hosed up his verbs. You bullet points need to start with action words, and most of the time they should be past tense: sold, managed, commited, accomplished, led, directed, created, etc. It starts out good but then goes to Ongoing (an adverb, move this within if you still want it) and then Speadhead (which is present, use Spearheaded or Drove instead), and you end it with Learning (the present participle or gerund, I am not good enough to know which but I know it's not past!)

There is some advice that says you're supposed to make your current job present tense, and while I disagree and think it reads better as all being past tense, but they should all share a tense within a listing. Make them align so they're all past tense, which will mean ending in ED unless it's a weird one like Built.

Will try to correct this.

Habibi posted:

This is just too much. Too many words, too many education accolades (that are not directly related to what you're applying for), too many volunteer roles (that are not directly related to what you're applying for), too many sections (interests are not necessary, certs can be balled under education, etc), and so on. Too many things that don't need to be there.

You just need to pare this down to its essence (of ideally no more than a page, given you have two actual jobs listed). If you really want to show that you volunteer because it'll give you a leg up (else why mention it?), pick two. Is your CPR and Stop-the-Bleed certification relevant to your target role? Probably not - but if it is, the AWS certification almost certainly isn't! Your technical certificates can probably (but maybe not because that's not my department) drop the bullet points.

Also, there are formatting inconsistencies. For example, your first and last listed jobs have organization followed by title, but all the ones in the middle have title followed by organization.

Too much sums it up well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

themaninblack posted:

Thank you all for your feedback. A lot of the criticisms validated my concerns. Here is my 2nd draft after trying to implement the feedback, does this seem any better - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TM5hTAzpwpw9ePQsVYLw4A83RtsNWuu5jx1jnPUEjrA/edit?usp=sharing

Ideally I would be a technical project manager, or even transition back into a fully technical role. I am open to both, though I think my experience has made me a generalist which might make it harder to find a position. Maybe a manager/director at a smaller place would be an option. Based on what you read on my resume, what do you think might make the most sense? I am willing to cert up and do whatever, guess I need to focus and target a more defined role.

Ok, you've kind of over-corrected. You are listing wayyyyy too many certs, volunteer experiences, etc. You've only had 1 job in the last 12 years and never got promoted? I still don't know what your skills are. Any programming skills? You have an AWS cert but have you done anything? This is really heavy on "I check a lot of boxes" but you aren't really saying what you can do at all.

While there are some times you hire someone without any management experience as a manager, but it's very rare and usually some kind of exceptional circumstance. I don't really see that in this resume.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

neogeo0823 posted:

Huh, I was just going to ask about this. So if I've got an application asking me to explain any gaps in my employment, and I've got an 8 month gap between jobs that was basically spent recovering my health and sanity from that job as well as searching for another one, then I should just not mention it in that section? Or what?

"6 months isn't even that long," she said to me.

I think a year long break is becoming more common and not as big of a eyebrow raise. Once you get over that then you get into the other reasons. Or just call it family care leave if you're super paranoid.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I just had an interview over Zoom. What's the etiquette around sending a follow-up email after that? Like, should I send a thank you email immediately? Or wait a day? Or what? Should it be a general "thank you for taking the time to speak with me today" sort of thing? Or is there a specific template I should follow?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Doesn't matter. Do whatever. I used to say "I don't care about them I rarely even read them", though my wife who has done hiring in the legal field said "They don't influence my decision but I notice when I don't get one", so I guess you should send one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I notice if I don't get one, yeah. It can't hurt you unless you say something very stupid or write poorly.

Basically you should include:

1. Greeting
2. Thanking the person
3. Very brief mention of something you enjoyed about the interview / ways to pump your own tires without seeming too aggressive. one sentence.
4. Expression of continued and reinforced interest in the job and excitement about next steps

The end. It's a bit of a meaningless formality but like with a lot of things like this it's important to be able to follow the rules and "be normal"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 9, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't notice or care. They go straight in the trash.

However it is very much a corporate form of Pascal's Wager. Sending the drat things is like 90% to not matter, 10% to help, 0% to hurt you, so the rational thing to do is send the drat things.

If you're so much of a tool that you manage to write something in a "thanks for interviewing me" note that can hurt your candidacy, I'm sure you already trashed it in the interview itself so don't worry about it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If I got one I'd wonder how the person got my email address.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

ultrafilter posted:

If I got one I'd wonder how the person got my email address.

Usually when you interview via zoom (or whatever);you get their email address that way

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i give my card to interviewees because it's one of the only remaining ways to get rid of them

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i give my card to interviewees because it's one of the only remaining ways to get rid of them
Head to the wargames terrain thread and offer them there. That's what I'm doing with all of my wife's business cards.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
I'm sorry if I missed if this wasn't okay, but I need some eyes to look at my resume. It was 3 pages. "Take off stuff that isn't relevant!" It's all relevant. I'm down to two and to my eye, it's still wordy AF (I can only decrease the font and margins so much). I have tweaked and tweaked, I've run it a little through AI and tweaked that. But I'm at my wits end. I've gotten exactly one interview (before this last round of tweaking) out of over 50 applications since November. I just don't know what else to do and could really use some fresh eyes. I got laid off in October after almost 10 years and I'm struggling to figure out wtf the landscape is like now.

(and no, I don't send these out with that filename. I was frustrated.)

No AI: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RBzOxVsgKNYlrnfyQOWOnp9uZZdhVF-6ZjtAV6Dqfus/edit?usp=sharing
AI tweaked: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NkfTmzPCViOudn4dckzqRx9Su8Ln1PTgUdbs9xW2l3A/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: I think the links should work now. I'm so sorry.

topenga fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 9, 2024

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

They say Access Denied?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

They say Access Denied?

Goddammit. "share with anyone with link" Set to ON.

No AI: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RBzOxVsgKNYlrnfyQOWOnp9uZZdhVF-6ZjtAV6Dqfus/edit?usp=sharing
AI: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NkfTmzPCViOudn4dckzqRx9Su8Ln1PTgUdbs9xW2l3A/edit?usp=sharing

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Same thing I always say: I'm not a hiring manager; just a software dev who does this as a hobby. Listen to others before listening to me.

Here are my initial thoughts. I switched between both at random because they were similar and I couldn't be hosed to keep them separate.

Your Masters was 10 years ago. Just list the degree, field and year of graduation. I don't care about your skills there; if you're confident in them, put them in the skills section.

Similarly, your work experience from 10 years ago should be made into something very short, if it's there at all. It's just not as relevant as what you've done lately, unless there is some compelling reason you disagree.

Could you break up your skills into enough categories to make them single lines? For instance, could you put Software Testing or something as its own thing with Bugzilla, Selenium etc?

Also, order your skills in a way that the important ones on top. I doubt Operating Systems is on top, even if you're Linux wizard, unless you're an IT Admin? I dunno, I could be wrong.

In fact, what is the difference of Core Competencies and Technical Skills? You may be able to put these together into a single set of categories. Like, all the testing references could be under the Test Etc category. I'd have to play with it more than I have time for at the moment to know if I'd actually like that, but it's an idea.

I don't care you did flag football.

Most of your points are okay (though you violate the -ED action word rule a few times), but they read like duties and not accomplishments. Your impressive stuff is in the profile at the top. Personally I hate those types of wordy bios, but I may be in the minority there. I similarly hate having that massive clot of text at the top of every entry, blocking up the information flow. The people who read your resume are going to be incredibly bored and probably stupid so you don't have much time to wow them. That's why resumes have such a different prose than an email or an article.

That's all I've got time for, might give it another pass when I have more time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1. Your profile only needs that first sentence. You just repeat yourself for two additional sentences for no reason.

2. I don't mind your core competency section for QA, honestly. Your skills section looks fine. I'd say keep those.

3. You spend way too many lines describing your job. Cut it down to 2 sentences explaining the "what" and the rest should be accomplishments. Ex: You don't need a whole line explaining you attended scrum meetings. Just add "In a Agile Scrum environment" on one of the sentences.

4. Cut down the 2000-2008 job down to one line. It's good you have it but you don't need more than a dozen words.

5. I don't mind the leadership and other stuff. I kinda like that especially if you can keep it brief.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

Same thing I always say: I'm not a hiring manager; just a software dev who does this as a hobby. Listen to others before listening to me.

Here are my initial thoughts. I switched between both at random because they were similar and I couldn't be hosed to keep them separate.

Your Masters was 10 years ago. Just list the degree, field and year of graduation. I don't care about your skills there; if you're confident in them, put them in the skills section.

Similarly, your work experience from 10 years ago should be made into something very short, if it's there at all. It's just not as relevant as what you've done lately, unless there is some compelling reason you disagree.

Could you break up your skills into enough categories to make them single lines? For instance, could you put Software Testing or something as its own thing with Bugzilla, Selenium etc?

Also, order your skills in a way that the important ones on top. I doubt Operating Systems is on top, even if you're Linux wizard, unless you're an IT Admin? I dunno, I could be wrong.

In fact, what is the difference of Core Competencies and Technical Skills? You may be able to put these together into a single set of categories. Like, all the testing references could be under the Test Etc category. I'd have to play with it more than I have time for at the moment to know if I'd actually like that, but it's an idea.

Most of your points are okay (though you violate the -ED action word rule a few times), but they read like duties and not accomplishments. Your impressive stuff is in the profile at the top. Personally I hate those types of wordy bios, but I may be in the minority there. I similarly hate having that massive clot of text at the top of every entry, blocking up the information flow. The people who read your resume are going to be incredibly bored and probably stupid so you don't have much time to wow them. That's why resumes have such a different prose than an email or an article.

That's all I've got time for, might give it another pass when I have more time.

Master's: Gotcha. It was a recommendation I got from someone else. "You spent the time! Promote it!"
Work Experience: 10 years ago was just one job ago. I stayed at jobs 6+ years at a time. If I didn't put what I did 10 years ago, I'd have one job on my resume. But agreed, I can shorten that job experience as well.
Break up skills: Okay, that's good to know! I've had that block of text there in that format forever.
Reorder skills: Will definitely revisit and re-order
Core Competencies vs Techskills: I HAVE NO IDEA. That's what I was told to put long ago and just never took it out. Maybe CC's are supposed to be more soft skills? More vague than tech skills?
Flag Football: LOL. Fair. I didn't like it either but it was supposed to show I had leadership/team skills outside of work? gently caress if I know.
Action words: I know, I KNOW! It is very hard for me to write it out with action words and have it make sense to me.
Text clots: not a huge fan either, but I was always told "a summary then bullet points".

These are good (to me), thank you very much. I very much appreciate it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Add context about your company, most hiring managers will not know wtf Abstract Rectangle Company does that doesn't appear in regular news headlines or a popular product. Just a simple line about what they do and their hard numbers help here. Good spot to show scale.

Your most recent should have 6 points max, ones after 1-2 and more like a summary of accomplishments. If you got promoted list it as a first line in the newer position.

Formatting: Name, Personal Info, one sentence summary, work history, education then skills in that order. It should get picked up by a lot of HR software in that format. 11pt font. Name in 20pt font

https://leopard.fyi/blog/leopardfyi-resume-guidelines

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

topenga posted:

Flag Football: LOL. Fair. I didn't like it either but it was supposed to show I had leadership/team skills outside of work? gently caress if I know.

So, culture fit is a thing. I don't think it's a waste of a line or two to say "Hey, I'll be a guy who will go to the work things and represent". It's not taking up much room. I think SA tends to lean too heavy into the "Work robot" mode but there's a good chance your resume will be looked at by someone who does value that stuff. Don't spend much real estate but I don't think it's hurting anything.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

topenga posted:

Action words: I know, I KNOW! It is very hard for me to write it out with action words and have it make sense to me.

Just think of it like this: A sentence where you are the subject describing an accomplishment or duty. The remove the subject, in this case "I."

(I) Developed an industry-changing method for manufacturing chocolate teapots.

That would be serviceable, though something more concrete or numerical would be nice if you could manage it.

(I) Developed an industry-changing method for manufacturing chocolate teapots, increasing profits by 15% in the next three quarters.

The later clauses are what can feel a little backwards sometimes.

Another I've seen suggested is the PAR method: Problem, Action and Result. What problem did you face, what action did you take, and what was the result. This is more typically profitable to pursue for an accomplishment rather than a duty. The example I saw was "Created a new color coded filing system that reduced overtime by 10%" The one thing in this example is that the P is essentially implied, which is why it can be hard to get your head around. Sometimes the "problem" is banal like "the company isn't efficient/profitable enough." Still, it's a way to look at what the hiring manager wants. They have problems and perhaps they want someone to act on them and get results. Hopefully they will look at your history and can imagine you being able to help in some way so long as you can convey that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So I applied for a job and got an email from an HR person an hour later asking for times to schedule a phone chat. I replied and have been ghosted since. Should I send a follow-up message in case the first reply went to junk mail or something?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So I applied for a job and got an email from an HR person an hour later asking for times to schedule a phone chat. I replied and have been ghosted since. Should I send a follow-up message in case the first reply went to junk mail or something?

When did you first reply?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lockback posted:

When did you first reply?

This was all on Monday

Maybe the person is busy idk, but it seems unusual to reach out almost immediately but not find 5 mins to check a schedule

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This was all on Monday

Maybe the person is busy idk, but it seems unusual to reach out almost immediately but not find 5 mins to check a schedule

Reach back out this afternoon. Work under the assumption they are already passing over you.

Getting hired is a potentially life changing thing for you but it's just task #17 for the HR person. They might have forgot, they might be busy, they might decide your name is dumb and don't want to look at it in the address book. All this poo poo happens.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Add context about your company, most hiring managers will not know wtf Abstract Rectangle Company does that doesn't appear in regular news headlines or a popular product. Just a simple line about what they do and their hard numbers help here. Good spot to show scale.

Your most recent should have 6 points max, ones after 1-2 and more like a summary of accomplishments. If you got promoted list it as a first line in the newer position.

Formatting: Name, Personal Info, one sentence summary, work history, education then skills in that order. It should get picked up by a lot of HR software in that format. 11pt font. Name in 20pt font

https://leopard.fyi/blog/leopardfyi-resume-guidelines

Company Context: Noted.
Formatting: Out of curiosity why should skills go LAST? That seems backward (to me) for a technical position.

Lockback posted:

Magnetic North posted:

I appreciate all of your comments! I will incorporate them today!

topenga fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 10, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

topenga posted:

Company Context: Noted.
Formatting: Out of curiosity why should skills go LAST? That seems backward (to me) for a technical position.

It shouldn't, skills should be up front for software roles.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

This was all on Monday

I had the same last week. They got back to me yesterday. They're just busy I guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just interviewed an (internal) guy who launched into a review of his code before I could even ask a question (also: it was bad) and then proceeded to badmouth his team and their processes. He then answered a question about the role he is looking for by insinuating if he feels he is being managed by someone insufficiently experienced he won’t stand for that.

It was an amazing performance and I didn’t want to bail on it early just to see where else it went.

His only question for me was how much the relocation package was, lol.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Greetings resume and interviewing thread friends! After 17 years with my company, I'm most likely accepting a buyout offer that is being made and will need to get back into the market. I've worked with Danny in SA-Mart and have a great resume to work with, which I'll adjust as needed for whatever roles I'm targeting. Haven't put together a cover letter yet, but will work on that later.

Question I have is what is the process/approach to actually apply for jobs in 2024 for a non-tech employee? Last time I applied monster.com was a thing. Is blasting away on LinkedIn jobs effective or a waste of my time? I will be working my network above this, but looking to understand where I should be looking for the day-to-day random firing of applications. My background is in the Energy/Utility industry, but not interested in relocating. Highly focused on Strategy and special projects but also loads of project (field and office) management and execution stuff to boot, if it's relevant.

Appreciate any insight.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh also that guy’s resume was 9 loving pages long of just solid text.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Appreciate any insight.

Yeah, Linkedin is probably the basic one. Indeed is ok depending on industry, glassdoor is also becoming a little more common.

priznat posted:

I just interviewed an (internal) guy who launched into a review of his code before I could even ask a question (also: it was bad) and then proceeded to badmouth his team and their processes. He then answered a question about the role he is looking for by insinuating if he feels he is being managed by someone insufficiently experienced he won’t stand for that.

It was an amazing performance and I didn’t want to bail on it early just to see where else it went.

His only question for me was how much the relocation package was, lol.

Every so often someone posts here something like "How bad could an interview possibly go?" and its amazing how often people walk into these so totally tone deaf of basic expectations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lockback posted:

Every so often someone posts here something like "How bad could an interview possibly go?" and its amazing how often people walk into these so totally tone deaf of basic expectations.

If I was not a bit of a softie I would have pulled the rip cord after 5 minutes of such a not obvious fit but also I was keen to see how bad it could get in a perverse way.

But it’s mostly I would feel bad on their behalf to not let them salvage it at least a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I usually give a ton of rope for internal people too just because you have no idea where they might end up and you don't want to be working with the guy who knows you as "The rear end in a top hat who shut down the interview after 5 minutes".

I don't think anyone has ever salvaged themselves, but taking a bit of time to play nice in the sandbox, you know?