Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw some dude in a brotruck with a big Confederate flag in the back. A Confederate flag with sliced bread loving arranged on a cutting board superimposed in the center of the flag, taking up maybe 1/4 of it. I have no idea what that dude was trying to get at. Wish I could have taken a photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe he was white bread and raised?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I hear stuff about someone sleeping in their car, or in their driveway/garage working on stuff being technically "DUI". I don't know if it's true or just hyperbole, but I'm not in any way trusting enough of the law and its application to dismiss it out of hand.

Mate sleeping in his car got woken up by the police (reported as a suspicious guy in a car parked outside someone's house at night I assume). They left him to it. They did however hang around nearby and pulled him over when he decided a short while later to move his car to somewhere further up the road where he wasn't being watched.
So it sounds like my local police apply the law reasonably and you will be ok if you are not stupid.

You would also likely get a nights undisturbed sleep if you slept in you car only on Friday and Saturday nights when the police are too understaffed to respond to suspicious car reports

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
It's dark out and I'm approaching a green light around 40mph, decent traffic right left and center, when I catch two silver hoops wobbling slowly from right to left. "Is that a bike oh holy poo poo" is all I have time to think before I panic brake to a stop. Idiot is riding through a red light at 2mph, at night with no lights or reflective gear, and is incredibly lucky (both of us are) that my brakes work better than my dash cam.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Unless we know that the guy truely is a habitual drunk driver then I am willing to admit that DUIs can be kinda bullshit sometimes. What if you have one drink and then find yourself in a checkpoint, or what if you decide you are too drunk when leaving the bar at 3am and choose to sleep in you car in an empty parking lot instead of driving home. . . Maybe the guy is a complete rear end in a top hat who will never learn his lesson, but unless we can prove he endangered (or killed) other people, I am not going to condemn someone for loving up a few (er, several) times over a seven year time period. Seven years is a pretty long time.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

Unless we know that the guy truely is a habitual drunk driver then I am willing to admit that DUIs can be kinda bullshit sometimes. What if you have one drink and then find yourself in a checkpoint, or what if you decide you are too drunk when leaving the bar at 3am and choose to sleep in you car in an empty parking lot instead of driving home. . . Maybe the guy is a complete rear end in a top hat who will never learn his lesson, but unless we can prove he endangered (or killed) other people, I am not going to condemn someone for loving up a few (er, several) times over a seven year time period. Seven years is a pretty long time.

4 DUIs is a lot.

3 DUIs is a lot

Even 2 DUIs is a lot. Don't drive drunk, its not hard. If you're going to a bar call a cab.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If there were ever a place for three-strikes sort of poo poo, DUIs are definitely it.

One, sure, rehab and an interlock for a year. Two is pushing it. Three, you don't need to be on the road again or have access to alcohol ever.

My uncle just got his fourth DUI, fortunately damaging only his own truck and a telephone pole. Another guy my dad used to work with has had FIVE. None of these were bogus "sleeping in your car while drunk" DUIs. There is no excuse for this poo poo.

The even more depressing punchline? Uncle drinks because his son died. In a crash with a drunk driver.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe he was white bread and raised?

Inbread racist?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Fruit posted:

but unless we can prove he endangered (or killed) other people,

He drove drunk. Repeatedly. Ergo he endangered other people.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

He drove drunk. Repeatedly. Ergo he endangered other people.

Driving around other people endangers them. Just because your sober doesn't mean that your judgement is any good. Yet we only jail those people when something actually happens.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

mungtor posted:

Driving around other people endangers them. Just because your sober doesn't mean that your judgement is any good. Yet we only jail those people when something actually happens.

But something did happen, bad judgement was proven by driving drunk.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Minnesota has an interesting way to deal with multiple DUI offenders - they are often issued something called "whiskey plates", which are undecorated license plates beginning with "W". They allow any officer to pull the vehicle over without cause, simply under the pretense that the driver has established a precedent of driving under the influence. They also have the secondary benefit of warning any driver aware of the plate: "this person is a known drunk driver, and braindead moves should be anticipated."

Plus they socially haze whomever is equipped with them, which seems to be the most significant DUI deterrent these days. "I'm OK to drive, I won't get pulled over" doesn't go very far when you're trying to convince a group that just watched you consume four drinks in two hours. Similarly, "I'm a good driver" doesn't go very far when you're wearing DUI plates.

EDIT: Looks like on state supreme court appeal, whiskey plates don't mean "can pull over with no cause" but it still reduces the threshold of when an officer can pull you over to petty offenses, which equates to even one MPH over the speed limit? Either way, anytime I see a car with a whiskey plate I consider that driver/vehicle to be a massive danger zone.

Cellular Suicide fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 10, 2015

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Cellular Suicide posted:

Minnesota has an interesting way to deal with multiple DUI offenders - they are often issued something called "whiskey plates", which are undecorated license plates beginning with "W". They allow any officer to pull the vehicle over without cause, simply under the pretense that the driver has established a precedent of driving under the influence. They also have the secondary benefit of warning any driver aware of the plate: "this person is a known drunk driver, and braindead moves should be anticipated."

Plus they socially haze whomever is equipped with them, which seems to be the most significant DUI deterrent these days. "I'm OK to drive, I won't get pulled over" doesn't go very far when you're trying to convince a group that just watched you consume four drinks in two hours. Similarly, "I'm a good driver" doesn't go very far when you're wearing DUI plates.

I like that. I usually fall into the "crush drunk drivers into a fine, red paste" camp, but public mockery isn't a bad idea either. Has it led to higher license plate theft rate, though?

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 10, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Cellular Suicide posted:

EDIT: Looks like on state supreme court appeal, whiskey plates don't mean "can pull over with no cause" but it still reduces the threshold of when an officer can pull you over to petty offenses, which equates to even one MPH over the speed limit? Either way, anytime I see a car with a whiskey plate I consider that driver/vehicle to be a massive danger zone.

I'm ok with the scarlet approach, it seems like a better idea than hiding it away in a sealed court house record. Peer pressure and an "I drive like an rear end in a top hat" symbol seems like the kind of thing that could actually make a difference.

How common are those plates on your local college campus??

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Cellular Suicide posted:

anytime I see a car with a whiskey plate I consider that driver/vehicle to be a massive danger zone.

In Ohio they're called 'Party Plates' and they're bright yellow with a string of red numbers. Usually found on the back of a beat to poo poo '95 Blazer or '00 Neon, they work really well at advertising the kind of person behind the wheel. Although they aren't probable cause for a traffic stop, they stick out like a sore thumb and you can bet your every move is being scrutinized. I would personally rather sell my cars and walk everywhere than wear those plates, if it ever came down to it.

It was always a surprise to catch someone up from New Mexico though, as their plates from 10+ years ago looked exactly the same:

Flint Ironstag posted:

Has it led to higher license plate theft rate, though?

I can't tell if it did or not. Generally the cars I'd seen wearing party plates were in lovely areas of lovely cities already... places where putting wheel lock lugs on a 2005 Cobalt with steelies is still a good idea if you wanted to keep them all.

And just posting this because I've never seen it before:

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm ok with the scarlet approach, it seems like a better idea than hiding it away in a sealed court house record. Peer pressure and an "I drive like an rear end in a top hat" symbol seems like the kind of thing that could actually make a difference.

How common are those plates on your local college campus??

They show up quite a bit around college towns, and surprisingly often in day-to-day driving. Even in college I remember the plates being a recognized symbol of irresponsibility; if you had a car on campus and you decided to drive it drunk you pretty much deserve the chastising. Especially in some of the more populated campuses, vehicle-pedestrian collisions are way too common.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Getting onto the highway this morning I'm in the left lane of a dual merge lane. The right lane ends shortly before the merge onto the highway. The car in the right lane doesn't appear to be in any real hurry. I figure I have time and room to get pass them without having to floor it, and we can both be on our way without any problem at all. Boy was I wrong.

As I start to pass them they maintain speed. I draw even with them and they maintain speed. As my front bumper is pulling ahead of them Dick decides I'm an rear end in a top hat for being there when he's going to need to merge soon. Now there are a few different ways this could have been dealt with:

1. Just maintain speed and pull in behind me and get over it.
2. Pull in behind me and tailgate me and flash high beams to let me know I'm an rear end in a top hat.
3. Wait until we're on the highway and pull up to me or pass me in the next lane flipping me off to let me know I'm an rear end in a top hat.
4. Pull in front of me and brake check me to let me know I'm an rear end in a top hat. This probably would have been his second choice.

None of those were good enough. The option he chose was gun it as he pulled into my lane, with me still next to him, honking his horn and missing my car by inches as I pull to the shoulder to avoid him. Then, he and his friends stick their hands out the window flipping me off because clearly I'm the one with the problem in this scenario.

I just don't get it. It's not like I floored it at the merge to try to keep him from getting over, I just passed somebody moving slower than me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some loving dingbat in a white commuter car bumblefucked out into the left lane, directly in front of me, and utterly failed to pull their head out of their rear end and accelerate, so I got to stare at their rear bumper for some time. All they did when I flicked the passing lights (no, wasn't tailgating) was flip me off and wave their arms madly like they had no idea what I wanted them to do.

... as we watch the car I was grouped up with previously recede into a tiny spot in the distance, with a wide empty expanse of passing lane between them and my retarded leader...

gently caress people I hate them all.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
'Tis the season. It's loving dark. Our poor excuse for sunlight is between 9:30am and 2:30pm, so commute times are dark as gently caress.

Naturally, a few times a week, you run into a newish econobox (usually a Renault, for some reason) with absolutely no rear lights, and only a few LEDs in front, mounted about four inches off the pavement, all in the holy European Union's name of improving fuel economy.

So you flick your brights. You give them a little honk as you pass. And, as a last futile resort, you furiously cycle your rear fogs as you get ahead of them.

It never loving works. I even checked, today, when arriving at work, by backing up to a wall, that, yes, my rear lights and my rear fogs actually work.

kastein posted:

Amen.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I'm driving to work. It's early morning, cold and dark. I exit a roundabout and am driving along a 30km/h street with raised pedestrian crossings every 100 meters. The ground is bare and it's very icy due to constant rain and +-0 weather. A woman is jogging on the sidewalk in my direction of travel pushing a stroller in front of her. She has blinking lights on the stroller and a safety vest so she's easy to see.

I'm coming up on her and am a few seconds away from passing when she abruptly and without stopping swerves out across the raised crosswalk right in front of my car. I stand on the brakes but even with studded winter tires i can't stop from 30 in the 2 meters I've been given to do so. The only thing that saves the situation is the fact that the crosswalk is raised, the bump is enough to halt the car.

She looks at me like i'm a terrorist while she keeps on jogging and i notice she's wearing headphones. Some people need drivers licenses for baby strollers. For a second i thought i was in a russian insurance scam video.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Pedestrians, especially headphones-wearers, should be treated like deer. They're unpredictable and could jump in front of your car at any moment because most of them have brains the size of walnuts.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PT6A posted:

Pedestrians, especially headphones-wearers, should be treated like deer. They're unpredictable and could jump in front of your car at any moment because most of them have brains the size of walnuts.

Spotlighted and shot?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
As someone that is currently walking more than normal due to my only vehicle's engine being torn down right now, gently caress most pedestrians. I'm more aware of what's going on when I have my Shure earbuds pushed snugly into my ears.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
There's lots of construction and traffic flow changes going on lately, so I let my traffic app tell me the best route to work. Today it chose this route (in red):

So I turn left from the service road onto Sandy Lake, and it used to be two lanes eastbound, but now it's one lane eastbound and the left lane is a left turn only lane. Oops, sorry! I signaled and someone let me into a gap to go eastbound. Some people aren't poo poo!

Except the guy following the yellow line. He was an angry Harley rider, and he pulled up next to me at the light at Royal and yelled something at me. I presume because I passed him and got ahead of him. Oh well.

Rolling down the road I was wondering why he was so angry, and how great it would be if I crossed paths again with him later. And his path led him to be waiting to turn right at Bethel as I rolled through the green light headed south on Freeport. I marked a railroad crossing with a red X, everyone slows down, but the right lane is graded better than the left so I always get in the right hand lane, then change into the left to get in front of traffic. What does motorcycle guy do? He's in the left lane, and behind a few cars that are slowing to go over the rails.

I see him throw BOTH HANDS UP (on a motorcycle?) when he sees me change lanes to get in front of him again, and then I hear the roar of his engine and see him weaving through traffic to catch up to me. Anyway, he had to turn left before he caught up to me, but that dude was super angry and I don't know why. I signaled and everything.

I wonder what he was going to yell at me the second time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EightBit posted:

As someone that is currently walking more than normal due to my only vehicle's engine being torn down right now, gently caress most pedestrians. I'm more aware of what's going on when I have my Shure earbuds pushed snugly into my ears.

I walked nearly 6km yesterday and I agree with this message.

Does anyone else get pissed off at drivers that stop for jaywalkers? Obviously, you can't hit them, but if you can proceed safely, they're probably expecting you to do so! Don't stop, it's confusing for everyone involved.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
In Minnesota you spot drunk drivers by "Whiskey Plates" which are plain white with no state of Minnesota badge and have a big honking bold W infront of the plate number

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah

Cellular Suicide posted:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'd be all for that nationwide but it'd probably bankrupt New Mexico trying to print all of theirs

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I already treat everyone with a NM plate as a bad/drunk driver.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

kastein posted:

Some loving dingbat in a white commuter car bumblefucked out into the left lane, directly in front of me, and utterly failed to pull their head out of their rear end and accelerate, so I got to stare at their rear bumper for some time. All they did when I flicked the passing lights (no, wasn't tailgating) was flip me off and wave their arms madly like they had no idea what I wanted them to do.

... as we watch the car I was grouped up with previously recede into a tiny spot in the distance, with a wide empty expanse of passing lane between them and my retarded leader...

Had the opposite happen on my way home yesterday, some douchebag in a giant heavy duty Silverado decided he didn't want to let me merge from the right lane to left, on a 2 lane road that merges into a single lane. Thankfully he was tailgating someone else in a Ford Escape, who decided to take a left without making use of the left turn lane, and I was able to sneak past the Escape and merge over, no problem. Happens all the drat time here, and people wonder why rear-end accidents are so common...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Was sitting behind someone at a red light on a slight decline. He was first in line, and would let his car roll backwards, slip the clutch for a few feet, and then roll backwards again. First time it happened I shifted into reverse because he got so close to me. Didn't see him touch the brakes once.

Thank you for letting me know you drive a manual, outback driver. You get +2 points.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

go3 posted:

I'd be all for that nationwide but it'd probably bankrupt New Mexico trying to print all of theirs

PenisMonkey posted:

I already treat everyone with a NM plate as a bad/drunk driver.

Guess they were the same thing all along? :shrug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Stopped a wrong way driver on the 202 by priest last night. End of shift in the ambulance, heading home.

Guy tried driving away, so I jumped out and ran down the median and ran in front of his car. He kept saying he didn't need cops, but I convinced him to stay and at least give a report.

Blew a .17.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 11, 2015

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Cage posted:

Was sitting behind someone at a red light on a slight decline. He was first in line, and would let his car roll backwards, slip the clutch for a few feet, and then roll backwards again. First time it happened I shifted into reverse because he got so close to me. Didn't see him touch the brakes once.

Thank you for letting me know you drive a manual, outback driver. You get +2 points.

Hasn't Subaru had hill assist braking since the early 90's?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

The Mandingo posted:

There's lots of construction and traffic flow changes going on lately, so I let my traffic app tell me the best route to work. Today it chose this route (in red):

Good thing you don't work down Bethel, it turns to poo poo quickly past Freeport. Which is hillarious since Coppell is really pushing to make that area a "traditional" downtown, whatever that means.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

moxieman posted:

Hasn't Subaru had hill assist braking since the early 90's?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder says 2003. Im not too keen on subarus but it looked like it could've been older than that.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Alighieri posted:

Good thing you don't work down Bethel, it turns to poo poo quickly past Freeport. Which is hillarious since Coppell is really pushing to make that area a "traditional" downtown, whatever that means.

Yeah, I've made the mistake of going that way before in the evenings.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Cage posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder says 2003. Im not too keen on subarus but it looked like it could've been older than that.

I had a '92 Loyale which I seem to remember having it, but I could be wrong.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

Stopped a wrong way driver on the 202 by priest last night. End of shift in the ambulance, heading home.

Guy tried driving away, so I jumped out and ran down the median and ran in front of his car. He kept saying he didn't need cops, but I convinced him to stay and at least give a report.

Blew a .17.

Thank you for this.

Too many people getting killed by drunks going the wrong way on freeways around here recently.

How did you get him to stop anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
He was in a red nissan altima going about 5mph, scraping his passenger side along the center median. Easy to turn the ambulance lights on and pull behind (past in the direction of traffic) him. He stopped for a bit so I jumped out and ran up the center median and then in front of his stopped car. He was on and off the brakes for a bit and eventually got out.

Entire passenger side of his car was hosed and his side curtain airbags were deployed.