Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

YF19pilot posted:

"Hark! A Vagrant!" is a great comic that I always forget exists. The artist is a big history/Canadian nerd, and although I'm American and know little of Canada's politics, I find her Deifenbaker(spelling?) comics quite amusing.

That's one of those things that I wish I could like more, but I can't get away from associating it with the sort of "history nerd" who over-romanticizes the Anglo-American 18th and 19th centuries without acknowledging all the horrible diseases people got, the more deliberately kept servant class, the racism, the corsets, the rape, the treatment of non-heterosexuals, the OSHA violations, the unfettered exploitation of the laborer, et cetera.

Sort of like how I can't think about romanticized sailors without also thinking about eating hardtack every day, sleeping in a tiny bunk with no personal space, being ordered around by a practical slave driver, and having very little protection from horrible weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stinky_Pete posted:

That's one of those things that I wish I could like more, but I can't get away from associating it with the sort of "history nerd" who over-romanticizes the Anglo-American 18th and 19th centuries without acknowledging all the horrible diseases people got, the more deliberately kept servant class, the racism, the corsets, the rape, the treatment of non-heterosexuals, the OSHA violations, the unfettered exploitation of the laborer, et cetera.

The only thing Hark! A Vagrant! romanticizes is Nancy Drew covers.

It doesn't romanticize romance, even.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

In my mind the only better comic is Gunshow.

...I miss Gunshow :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stinky_Pete posted:

I haven't read much of it but some of that stuff has definitely been called out explicitly. Probably all of it, actually

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The best thing about Hark! a Vagrant is that so much of the humor involves having historical figures acting like the petulant children humans pretty much always are. We like to romanticize the past but all told history is just full of nothing but humans that suck as much as we do now. The only difference is now we have fancier toys and better ways to murder each other.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=251

"Get rid of that neck beard, you look like a dickhead."

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If Hark! A Vagrant romanticizes anybody, it's the historical figures who fought against the racist and/or sexist status quo. For example:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
So he hasn't come back yet?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So he hasn't come back yet?

I mean Fishmech was here but that's the only bite we got

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe he took the month to really reflect back on the interactions he's had with people here, that perhaps he wasn't probated for having unpopular opinions but in fact because his rhetorical style is unproductive and disingenuous, considered that maybe there are some facts of human life that his ideology fails to cover in a satisfactory manner, and decided he should go out and build some perspective on what the world is really like for people less fortunate than himself.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Stinky_Pete posted:

Maybe he took the month to really reflect back on the interactions he's had with people here, that perhaps he wasn't probated for having unpopular opinions but in fact because his rhetorical style is unproductive and disingenuous, considered that maybe there are some facts of human life that his ideology fails to cover in a satisfactory manner, and decided he should go out and build some perspective on what the world is really like for people less fortunate than himself.

Pfffft ahahahaha.

No, not really.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Stinky_Pete posted:

This Is the funniest poo poo I've ever seen on these forums.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jrode is probably still mid-speech with a police officer who pulled him over on the 12th for driving without a licence.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Jrod is not capable of reflection. Please read the thread.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Tesseraction posted:

jrode is probably still mid-speech with a police officer who pulled him over on the 12th for driving without a licence.

Now he's curled up on the ground after being tased by a police officer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Now he's curled up on the ground after being tased by a police officer.

In a later lawsuit over alleged police brutality, jrode loses as the judge notes that the taser itself never consented to joinder either.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Everyone's thinking it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7U5eJN3hLI

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i can never decide what part i like more

teh first bailiff's little eye rolls

the second one's complete and utter lack of fucks to give

or homeboy's "you guys are really oversteppig your bounds" after getting fuckin tased

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

my favorite part is the smug "i do not wish to create joinder" line

also I like to imagine that since the voice is so similar that it's Jack Black behind the camera

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

QuarkJets posted:

my favorite part is the smug "i do not wish to create joinder" line

also I like to imagine that since the voice is so similar that it's Jack Black behind the camera

he would make his way through using his sweet comedy rock jams

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I like the part where he is in pain from being tazed!

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
So I guess fishmech left when he realized you can afford to overeat for a month with merely 80 dollars?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Please read the thread.

Come on, yo. Don't condone torture.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dreddout posted:

I like the part where he is in pain from being tazed!

same, but unironically

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Come on, yo. Don't condone torture.

Don't kinkshame

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Don't kinkshame

Don't shame on me

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Don't kinkshame

Well it isn't torture if you specifically asked for it.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"Please torture me by (detailed description of torture)"

"I can't"

"Why?"

"I devote myself to the concrete school of linguistics. Torture has a set definition that requires no consent."

"Fine I'm going to go have sex with Chomsky"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

"I can't"

"Why?"

"I devote myself to the concrete school of linguistics. Torture has a set definition that requires no consent."

Chomsky just married a woman who's younger than his children.

RIP Carol

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stinky_Pete posted:

So I guess fishmech left when he realized you can afford to overeat for a month with merely 80 dollars?

They're on probation. Again. Also why they stopped replying last time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

"I can't"

"Why?"

You have a future in Washington, my friend.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

"I can't"

"Why?"

Sam Harris sighs and returns to his bed as the door slams shut.

"I guess it's just you and me tonight." He lifts the covers to reveal a blow-up doll with George W. Bush's face printed on it.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Stinky_Pete posted:

Sam Harris sighs and returns to his bed as the door slams shut.

"I guess it's just you and me tonight." He lifts the covers to reveal a blow-up doll with George W. Bush's face printed on it.

"Bush-Chan tell me I'm brilliant" is heard between the sound of a plastic balloon repeatedly being squeezed.

No seriously the one book I read by that dirtbag taught me that he is huffing his own farts because he is so enlightened

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

so I'm reading this thread because I hate myself but this:

"Mr Molyneux, myself nor any other libertarian will have any power to force any particular vision of society on anyone else, apart from our moral admonition that the initiation of force is illegitimate and should be prohibited."

is sure a relief

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

jrodefeld posted:

I'll try and answer this question. Why wouldn't a private system of "common" law that emerges on the market also simply favor the wealthy just as most State monopolized legal systems do?

The reason is that for a DRO to have any authority or jurisdiction over you, you have to voluntarily become a client.

it's like, voltaire couldn't have written this

like I only have to add in the ironic circumstances and his post history is a perfect libertarian Candide

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 20, 2016

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Literally The Worst posted:

same, but unironically

Who said I was being itonic? :colbert:

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Zas posted:

so I'm reading this thread because I hate myself but this:
Are you reading the Jrod posts? Don't do that. Everything of possible interest will be quoted (don't read the quote) and you can figure out what the wall o'text is getting wrong from the reply.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Did the Property Rights thread get gassed?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Did the Property Rights thread get gassed?

No, it got sent to the LF goldmine: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745862

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

lol