Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Naramyth posted:

You are so wrong on these points. Having 3 HQs means they can run 3 flyrants before an allied detachment/formation and since you can generally only have 2 detachments at tourneys this means 'nids can easily have 4 flyrants on the table.

And a walking flyrant isn't the end of the world when Malanthropes/venomthropes, cover/area terrain, and having 60 bros to soak wounds exist. Both of those options are extremely strong and will help put 'Nids on the top tables.

I'm not a tournament guy so I didnt see the value of the new detachment in that environment so I'll defer to you on that.

But I said the Skytyrant Swarm was "Baller" aka really good so I'm not sure how I could be "so wrong" about it when you then proceed to agree with me about its quality and the importance of having nearby shrouding... I just said to buy lots of Gargoyles and pointed out that is not gonna enjoy the benefits of flying so get ready to shuffle gargoyles off the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah its bonkers. Aren't all vehicles considered leadership 10? Because if so, then its hilarious on a master of signals or siege breaker.

Train of thoughts as I quickly looked up with TS had received as a toy.

Oh it's one of those lovely characteristic tests.
Oh it's actually... S = Ld?
In a game where most armies are high Ld and those that are not son't really require high strength to paste?

Aww yiss.

e. Just noticed that Leviathan Warlord table doesn't have the usual lovely "Warlord gets gear hur hur" result. bravo GW, you're learning.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 20, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The new Tyranid rules give hope that there could be a campaign for Orks vs something and the Orks would get some cool new Formations and troops / new units.

So I super like what GW is doing with these Campaign books and hope to see more of them.

I'm not sure what the campaign would be with Orks vs. but GW could just go crazy and be like RETURN TO ARMAGEDDON or make everyone happy and redo and release some new formations for Chaos with a Eye of Terror campaign.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Orks just got Sanctus Reach stuff. I mean I'm all for new Ork stuff but they just got the hook up on detachments. Personally I want to try The Air Armada and Mogrok's Bossboyz real bad.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hot drat, Soulfucker, your Nids look amaaaazing.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Master Twig posted:

Screw Troops. I just made up a list that would be an abslute pain in the rear end to play against.

*snip*

How is that at all different from existing Skyblight lists, other than having much weaker scoring and one Tyrant replacing a Harpy? Tyranid Flying Circus lists are a pain to play against, sure, but they struggle a lot with the current meta because they suffer so badly going second.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edits:never mind

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 20, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

AbusePuppy posted:

How is that at all different from existing Skyblight lists, other than having much weaker scoring and one Tyrant replacing a Harpy? Tyranid Flying Circus lists are a pain to play against, sure, but they struggle a lot with the current meta because they suffer so badly going second.

Current skyblight only gets you three flyrants. And you get two crones instead of a crone and two harpies. Plus, that deep striking toxicrene is a pretty big threat. Going second shouldn't be too much of an issue thanks to the venomthropes. Plus you're not wasting a lot of points on gargoyles. Yeah, it's similar, but it's a lot better. Sure, it lacks scoring, but it's really the kind of list that bases itself on just wiping out your opponent.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Hahahahahah I just loving noticed the Thousand Sons relic. Hopefully this means Thousand Sons are actually loving good in 30k.

rules for Thousand Sons aren't done yet and are still in the "I have some notes" stages.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Current skyblight only gets you three flyrants. And you get two crones instead of a crone and two harpies. Plus, that deep striking toxicrene is a pretty big threat. Going second shouldn't be too much of an issue thanks to the venomthropes. Plus you're not wasting a lot of points on gargoyles. Yeah, it's similar, but it's a lot better. Sure, it lacks scoring, but it's really the kind of list that bases itself on just wiping out your opponent.

Sure, but your number of FMCs is the same; you're gaining a bit in that department but completely losing out on any game plan other than "go first, win big."

I would consider the Toxicrene and Venomthropes essentially just dead meat the moment turn 2 rolls around. There's lots of Ignores Cover weapons (as well as Barrage, melee attacks, etc) in the environment, meaning they will relatively often have to rely on shoddy armor saves and with the rest of your army flying, they are an obvious place to point the guns that won't be effective against the Flyrants.

I think you're overestimating how much protection the Venomthropes will give you; they're not hard to remove, and there's plenty of ways around them.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Oh yes - this arrived today finally! Nottingham was good to me while I was there. Black Legion here I come!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Sure, but your number of FMCs is the same; you're gaining a bit in that department but completely losing out on any game plan other than "go first, win big."

I would consider the Toxicrene and Venomthropes essentially just dead meat the moment turn 2 rolls around. There's lots of Ignores Cover weapons (as well as Barrage, melee attacks, etc) in the environment, meaning they will relatively often have to rely on shoddy armor saves and with the rest of your army flying, they are an obvious place to point the guns that won't be effective against the Flyrants.

I think you're overestimating how much protection the Venomthropes will give you; they're not hard to remove, and there's plenty of ways around them.

The Toxicrene and a brood of two venomthropes will be deep striking in Tyrannocites. Yeah, the two that start out with the rest of the fliers won't do much once they're pulled out of synapse.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not trying to say that it's the end-all be-all list and is unebeatable. It's just a list I literally thought up in a couple minutes that I think would be really brutal. Being able to take 4 Flyrants with one CAD and one formation is just really good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that formation adds a 3rd Hive Tyrant for Skyblight bringing the total to 4 and with the new Troops being 15 loving points, you can pretty much just have all FMCs almost.

I mean I'm sure the most you can have in a 1850 is 12 possibly but that's still a fuckload.The army was pretty competitive before, now it just got more so. I don't see how you can argue that it didn't become even more powerful because of those new formations and new models.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I do love seeing a lot of resin on the table. Nice haul!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The army was pretty competitive before, now it just got more so. I don't see how you can argue that it didn't become even more powerful because of those new formations and new models.

Honestly? I don't think it was that competitive. In 6th Edition Tyranids could pull a lot of shenanigans, but with the increased presence of Knights and the changes to Smash, they really don't have a lot of good ways to deal with that army and, as noted, they get punked pretty badly when going second. (I have, at various times, killed off 3-4 FMCs in one turn in that way without too much difficulty.) They also struggle a lot against Eldar (Wave Serpents, Wraithknights) regardless of first/second turn. I just think it's too risky of a plan to expect to get through four to six rounds of tournament play without ever getting a trap sprung on you.

Ghost Hand posted:

Oh yes - this arrived today finally! Nottingham was good to me while I was there. Black Legion here I come!

Holy poo poo, mang.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Four flying hive tyrants with devourers and electroshock grubs would absolutely wreck knights. Knights literally can't hurt them, and four Tyrants will take down a knight a turn if they can get into side or back arc. (and can even do a hull point in the front with the grubs. Seriously, all flyrants should take electroshock grubs).

And yeah, they can get beaten up turn one by massed shooting from Wave Serpents. Sadly, that's true of every single Tyranid list. With Malanthropes and Venomthropes you at least have a chance.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
To be fair "gets shot to poo poo by Wave Serpents" isn't really a Tyranid problem.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Comparing things to the level of " Will this die if we play on a open field and I just deploy my entire army in such a way as to let them get shot at by everything my opponent has which is Wave Serpents" doesn't work.

Also, 4 Flyrants would own the Adamantine Lance formation.

Also Yay or Nay?

Fighter Ace, will you guys be playing with these new rules because the Tyranid one is.

:catstare:

5-6 : if the Fighter Ace is within 12 inches of a table edge it can enter Ongoing Reserves at the start of your opponents Shooting Phase, before any shooting attacks are carried out.

Almost all of them have something completely insane like this in the chart.

Chaos Daemons

5-6 Add 1 to the Invulnerable save , cumulative with like everything else.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 20, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Fighter Ace, will you guys be playing with these new rules because the Tyranid one is.

:catstare:

5-6 : if the Fighter Ace is within 12 inches of a table edge it can enter Ongoing Reserves at the start of your opponents Shooting Phase, before any shooting attacks are carried out.

Almost all of them have something completely insane like this in the chart.

Chaos Daemons

5-6 Add 1 to the Invulnerable save , cumulative with like everything else.
Could you link some leaks or something, because you keep mentioning this and I have no idea what is going on. I know there is a supplement for Flyers on the way, but this is just you tossing out random poo poo and freaking out about it. Okay, guys get... things? That's... cool?

Chaos Daemons don't even have a flyer unless they go Forgeworld or this lets you make a Bloodthirster some sort of fighter ace, which is dumb as hell. I, RAGE CRUSHDICK, AM MASTER OF HITTING PLANES.

This is also a good time to point out how disappointed I was with DEATH FROM THE SKIES. Updated Flyer rules were cool, but the actual Dogfighting was pretty lame (Hey, complicate the game and make fighter combat a series of dice rolls that can end with nothing happening or even you getting shot at while attacking!) and the tables you could upgrade and roll on varied from mediocre to unusable, because most of them required had an option or two that only applied if you used the aforementioned Dogfighting rules.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They're all in the last couple of pages of the Tyranid thread on Dakka.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/7230/572843.page#7368389

It's a optional rule for all missions, it's kind of interesting, but really expensive. 35 points for the upgrade, but kind of worth it considering the abilities they get.

I think everyone that has a flier has some sort of special chart maybe.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

They're all in the last couple of pages of the Tyranid thread on Dakka.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/7230/572843.page#7368389

It's a optional rule for all missions, it's kind of interesting, but really expensive. 35 points for the upgrade, but kind of worth it considering the abilities they get.

I think everyone that has a flier has some sort of special chart maybe.
You expect me to give traffic to Dakka? :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
NO MR. VON HUMBOLDT , I EXPECT YOU TO TRY

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
I'm a 20 year IG player. I haven't played in the last 4 years.
Will my old 5th/6th ed tactics still work (infantry swarm)?

Oh here's a WIP

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Rules lawyers - orbital bombardment 'always scatters' full 2d6 if an arrow is rolled. However servo skulls can reduce scatter to 1d6.

What would win out? My logic says you would do 1d6 without deducting bs.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

Rules lawyers - orbital bombardment 'always scatters' full 2d6 if an arrow is rolled. However servo skulls can reduce scatter to 1d6.

I thought servo skull just worked for Deepstriking. An orbital bombardment is a shooting attack, yeah?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

I believe this was actually in a FAQ at one point, though it's since been removed. It scatters the full 2d6" even when a Skull is nearby.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I need a large flyer stem for a Dakkajet. Is there a decent place to get one other than ebay or GW? I'm trying to avoid paying $10.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ToyotaThong posted:

I'm a 20 year IG player. I haven't played in the last 4 years.
Will my old 5th/6th ed tactics still work (infantry swarm)?

Oh here's a WIP

Infantry hordes have treated me pretty well; the only thing that's been a problem for me have been Tau ignoring cover and wrecking my poo poo. I like your style with the retro Yarrick and Guardsmen too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yarrick is actually pretty decent now so that's a plus too.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

ghetto wormhole posted:

Yarrick is actually pretty decent now so that's a plus too.

And the old Yarrick has the 'sodimizor'pattern of power claw!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yarrick is the poo poo unless you're me and can't win melee challenges without a wild disparity in power.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Big Willy Style posted:

And the old Yarrick has the 'sodimizor'pattern of power claw!

Don't forget the 'Dead Monkey' pattern bolter.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Commissar Yarrick was better in I think 5th edition where his power field reduced the str of incomming attacks by d3 or d6. I recall a apocalypse game where a large unit of Eldar Guardians were in a tower mid field being a pain in the rear end and nobody really could budge them without overcommiting the big firepower that we needed elsewhere, so I had Yarrick charge out of the Fortress of Arrogance (Best Baneblade btw), up the ladder, and then he spends the rest of the fight happily mulching Eldar while laughing off their feeble attempts to hurt him.

Ever since then He's been "Commissar 'Muthafuckin' Yarrick" to me and my group.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Yarrick getting Senior Officer was definitely his biggest boost. Being able to issue orders from the safety of a blob of guardsmen is very useful. Plus, then that very blob is getting orders at Ld 10. He's definitely my goto HQ choice for IG.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Does anyone have a side by side of the HH iron father and one of the AdMech Myrmidons? I want to eventually make a Myrmidax Magos and that looks like a solid basis that's not just a differently painted myrmidon.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Master Twig posted:

Yarrick getting Senior Officer was definitely his biggest boost. Being able to issue orders from the safety of a blob of guardsmen is very useful. Plus, then that very blob is getting orders at Ld 10. He's definitely my goto HQ choice for IG.

Stick him in a blob of 50 conscripts with a priest (175 pts) for a pretty nasty anchor to put between two blobs.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I really do love how much better they made so many IG units in the new codex. It's got so many more viable options. If only FW would get off their asses and FAQ IA1 to match.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

ghetto wormhole posted:

I really do love how much better they made so many IG units in the new codex. It's got so many more viable options. If only FW would get off their asses and FAQ IA1 to match.

totally - they are sitting around slacking!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Slimnoid posted:

Don't forget the 'Dead Monkey' pattern bolter.

Is that not supposed to be a dead grot? Have I been wrong all these years?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Ghost Hand posted:

totally - they are sitting around slacking!

I don't care about all these crazy knights and horus heresy books and primarchs and stuff, I could :spergin: and crank out that errata in a day.

• Locked thread