Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

http://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/prepare-for-the-future-fallout-4-important-release-info/2015/10/08/35
SPECS, BRUH.
Minimum
Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended
Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

Console Storage Space
Make sure you have enough space in the vault to store Fallout 4.
Fallout 4 requires 28-35 GB depending on territory and languages supported.

e: My 7870 will suffice it seems, I would've been very shocked otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

sout posted:

http://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/prepare-for-the-future-fallout-4-important-release-info/2015/10/08/35
SPECS, BRUH.
Minimum
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space

Console Storage Space
Make sure you have enough space in the vault to store Fallout 4.
Fallout 4 requires 28-35 GB depending on territory and languages supported.

e: My 7870 will suffice it seems, I would've been very shocked otherwise

That's quite CPU heavy on recommended. I may have to upgrade my i5 after all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

oblomov posted:

That's quite CPU heavy on recommended. I may have to upgrade my i5 after all.

No you won't, I have an i5 that can run Witcher 3 at the highest settings, this sure as poo poo won't be more intensive than that game.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

this sure as poo poo won't be more intensive than that game.

I'm thinking less about intensity and more about optimization. :ohdear:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

No you won't, I have an i5 that can run Witcher 3 at the highest settings, this sure as poo poo won't be more intensive than that game.

This is Bethesda we're talking about. They'll find a way to make it run like poo poo on everything.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gently caress...well it was about time to update my CPU. drat I remember with some tweaking Skyrim ran on toasters, hopefully that will stay the same

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Assuming whoever is doing the system requirements isn't just pulling them out of their rear end (big assumption, but let's go with it), the only prominent differences between i5s and i7s are hyperthreading and cache size. If hyperthreading is relevant, I would imagine that would mean F4 can actually utilize at least 8 threads. If that's true (and I'm building a Jenga of assumptions here), that could mean that F4 might be able to handle more things going on at once.

I have no idea what more processor cache would do for F4.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Nevermind I have google

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

OK, given the fact that they specify a 4790 instead of a 4770 for recommended and the difference is like, 100mhz when Turbo Boosting, I'm going to say there's some bullshit going on.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Hmm 8 GB for both Minimum and Recommended? That doesn't raise any alarms at all for me. This is perfectly fine.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

SunAndSpring posted:

This is Bethesda we're talking about. They'll find a way to make it run like poo poo on everything.

Aren't mods that make the game run 4 times smoother usually the first to be made? I remember how much smoother Skyrim ran on ultra after a couple of those that optimized loading and what not.

I don't know any :techno:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

crime fighting hog posted:

Aren't mods that make the game run 4 times smoother usually the first to be made? I remember how much smoother Skyrim ran on ultra after a couple of those that optimized loading and what not.

I don't know any :techno:

Yeah, but you figure it'd just be better for them to have the game be decently optimized to start off with instead of just letting the mod community fix it.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
My system is

3.2Ghz Dual Core
16Gb Ram
GT740 w/2gb ram
Win7 Home Premium

So it looks like I'm about in the middle ground in terms of what the game wants.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Hmm 8 GB for both Minimum and Recommended? That doesn't raise any alarms at all for me. This is perfectly fine.

I could see a case where you need X amount of memory but that anything over that isn't really necessary. Especially if they addressed the weird texture-mirroring issue Skyrim has.

But yeah, these system requirements are bad, and whoever wrote them should feel bad.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, but you figure it'd just be better for them to have the game be decently optimized to start off with instead of just letting the mod community fix it.

That's gotta be a weird feeling, knowing now matter how well or poor your game is on release, hordes of nerds will polish the poo poo outta it for free.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fallout 5 will literally just be the GECK tools.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

That's gotta be a weird feeling, knowing now matter how well or poor your game is on release, hordes of nerds will polish the poo poo outta it for free.

At least once a day, somebody at Bethesda makes a crack about not needing to fix something because "the modders will take care of it."

The team shares a laugh, then there's an uncomfortable silence as their lead seriously considers it.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

a 30gb install is relatively small nowadays right?
I guess some workshop texture packs will fix that little convenience.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

sout posted:

For comparison, Skyrim with all the DLC and the HD textures is about 11 gigabytes. With insane modder textures, it can get to 60 gigabytes.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate is supposed to be 40 gigabytes.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

sout posted:

Last few games I've gotten on xbox have been about 30 gigs.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Peztopiary posted:

A whole bunch of innocently whistling people walk past J. Fallout, each with at least one extra skull worked into their clothing.

Speaking of that, I hope the armour crafting system allows me to mount skulls and bones on everything, one from each type of creature that I've slain. Skull shoulder pads, skull elbow pads, skull kneepads, skull knuckle dusters, skull boots and an antlered skull helmet with extra mounted skulls. I want Power Armour decked out like a goddamn skull golem.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SunAndSpring posted:

Considering that Xbone and PS4 both have 8GB of memory, it makes sense that the minimum would be 8 for PC too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

All of that stuff sounds cool in theory, but there's not much to these games aside from cleaning out warrens of trash mobs. If you take that away from the player by having trash mobs run in fear, then what's left?

Chasing them down :getin:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

ymgve posted:

Considering that Xbone and PS4 both have 8GB of memory, it makes sense that the minimum would be 8 for PC too.

That's pretty much it. The game has to run on the latest consoles and those specs are the rough PC equivalent of them. Or at least what the console makers claim them to be. Your mileage may vary. Use no hooks. This poster takes no responsibility for whatever crazy poo poo MS & Sony say they're capable of.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

sout posted:

SPECS, BRUH.
Recommended
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space

Hmm I have an i5 2500K OC'd to 4.3 GHz, is that adequate? Or is it all the threads that the i7 does that make it better for this game I wonder?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm not that good at parsing system requirements, would a lovely CPU (AMD fx6300 6core 3.5ghz) paired with a decent gpu (7870xt - basically a 7950 with some features turned off) be enough to run at settings that won't involve me tearing my eyes off in frustration and anger?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

TorakFade posted:

I'm not that good at parsing system requirements, would a lovely CPU (AMD fx6300 6core 3.5ghz) paired with a decent gpu (7870xt - basically a 7950 with some features turned off) be enough to run at settings that won't involve me tearing my eyes off in frustration and anger?

You're above the minimum specs in both regards, I think you'll be fine. As to what degree you'll have to turn down settings, who knows.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

boneration posted:

Hmm I have an i5 2500K OC'd to 4.3 GHz, is that adequate? Or is it all the threads that the i7 does that make it better for this game I wonder?

There's no way to tell at this time. The specs themselves are kind of wonky, but even if they weren't we'd just be speculating on how they actually relate to the way the game works.

TorakFade posted:

Usually the way this goes is that the GPU is more important than the CPU.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I should be able to run this game real pretty

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gyrotica posted:

Usually the way this goes is that the GPU is more important than the CPU.

This relieves me quite a bit, my GPU while certainly not stellar has always handled everything I threw at it admirably. This means I can wait until the next shiny things come out in 2016 to upgrade instead of getting something for "early Christmas" :v:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Knowing Bethesda, I seriously doubt Fallout 4 can utilize hyperthreading or octas. Is that particular AMD quad so it uses at least all four?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

GuyUpNorth posted:

Knowing Bethesda, I seriously doubt Fallout 4 can utilize hyperthreading or octas. Is that particular AMD quad so it uses at least all four?

He mentioned it's a six core, so yeah.

I would also be surprised. As you can see above, I figure those specs are off base because of the 4790 recommendation.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Pre-ordered this bad boy for my PS4. First time playing a Fallout game on a console. Was this a big mistake since I gated myself out of mods?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

smertrioslol posted:

Pre-ordered this bad boy for my PS4. First time playing a Fallout game on a console. Was this a big mistake since I gated myself out of mods?

They said they'll have mod support on consoles but something makes me doubt it. I dunno.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

smertrioslol posted:

There is zero chance that it isn't going to be a shitshow the first week/month/year. Bethesda doesn't do consoles well. Also, never pre-order.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

smertrioslol posted:

Big mistake, Bethesda has not confirmed mods for the PS4.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Yaos posted:

Big mistake, Bethesda has not confirmed mods for the PS4.

Yea I think at one point todd howard mentioned that they want to work with sony to do the same thing they're doing with microsoft but who knows if they'll actually do it once the game has been released and they've gotten everyone's money already

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

smertrioslol posted:

Mods for consoles are one thing, mod management tools are another. And I've not seen any mention of those for consoles.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GuyUpNorth posted:

They probably had no choice but to, both big consoles this generation have a lot of slow cores because they're much cheaper than a few powerful cores.

• Locked thread