Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Analysis of a cartoon dust cloud fight between three dogs and twelve geese

in water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
On one hand, stealing from the audiophile thread is lazy and redundant.
On the other hand :

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
at least they are recognizing that there is no perceivable difference between 192kbps and 384!! :v:

e: well depending on how high 384 is

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

at least they are recognizing that there is no perceivable difference between 192kbps and 384!! :v:

that's not kbps, my friend

edit: consider that MP3s with 320 kbps are at the very bottom here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's kelvin.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

On the other hand :

Where is this audiophile thread?

Also, why even bother with a subwoofer if it's not submerged in water?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BonHair posted:

Where is this audiophile thread?

Also, why even bother with a subwoofer if it's not submerged in water?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VictualSquid posted:

On the other hand :

Ok but what if you enable X-Fi

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Obviously if you go above 384k then your wings melt and you fall to the bottom of the ocean, your sound files turning into 2005 cameraphone concert footage

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Not as high as 420, maaan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HenryEx posted:

that's not kbps, my friend

edit: consider that MP3s with 320 kbps are at the very bottom here

To expand on this cryptic answer, units are kilohertz. It’s the sampling rate.

Mathematics proves there’s no benefit to sampling at more than twice the frequency of the signal, and since humans can’t hear much past twenty kilohertz, nothing is gained after forty kilohertz and change.

e: I don’t know if this is a browser problem or a forums problem, but I find now that that link does not work. Here’s a redirect that does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist-Shannon_sampling_theorem

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 15:36 on May 30, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Mathematics proves there’s no benefit to sampling at more than twice the frequency of the signal, and since humans can’t hear much past twenty kilohertz, nothing is gained after forty kilohertz and change.

Yeah, next you will tell me that copper wire is copper wire and that this 100 dollars per meter oxygen free polarity corrected cable is no better than the cheap hardware store cable.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BonHair posted:

Yeah, next you will tell me that copper wire is copper wire and that this 100 dollars per meter oxygen free polarity corrected cable is no better than literally using a coat hanger stuffed into the connection

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Platystemon posted:

:doh: ofc its sampling rate

But then why is it based off of 2^n...?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

:doh: ofc its sampling rate

But then why is it based off of 2^n...?

If you mean 2*n, that is the Nyquist rate.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If you double the sample rate, you double the quality. But if we double the doubled sample rate, quadruple quality! :eng99:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's worthwhile to pay attention to higher than 20khz just so we can avoid annoying animals and the rare humans that can hear higher freqs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Unreal_One posted:

If you double the sample rate, you double the quality. But if we double the doubled sample rate, quadruple quality! :eng99:

thats the difference between studio quality vs x-perience

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BonHair posted:

Yeah, next you will tell me that copper wire is copper wire and that this 100 dollars per meter oxygen free polarity corrected cable is no better than the cheap hardware store cable.

We'll see what Ea-Nasir has to say about that

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

jjack229 posted:

If you mean 2*n, that is the Nyquist rate.

I mean that 192 = 2^7 + 2^6. I'm very familiar with nyquist.

Watermelon Daiquiri has a new favorite as of 01:29 on May 31, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CommonShore posted:

We'll see what Ea-Nasir has to say about that

motherfucker *furiously writes 4 tablets*

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I mean that 192 = 2^7 + 2^6. I'm very familiar with nyquist.

I think it's mostly historical, a combination of using values that were convenient for computers decades ago and choosing multiples of existing conventions to extend the series. Also, software people love binary.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

taqueso posted:

I think it's mostly historical, a combination of using values that were convenient for computers decades ago and choosing multiples of existing conventions to extend the series. Also, software people love binary.

yeah that was my point-- these audiophiles who fetishize analog are using digitally inspired things

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

When contemplating audiophiles, you can't expect any sort of coherency in beliefs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

motherfucker *furiously writes 4 tablets*

Your complaint has been registered and will be dealt with within 4-6 business millennia.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

Mathematics proves there’s no benefit to sampling at more than twice the frequency of the signal

There is, though: Your presample filters don't have arbitrarily steep response, so if you don't want to roll off the signal at the Nyquist limit you sample at more than twice the frequency of the signal to give your presample filters room to work. We typically 5x oversample at work, so if the stress engineers want to see 50 Hz data we're sampling our strain gages and accelerometers at 250 hz. If we only sampled at 100 Hz there'd be attenuation of the 50Hz signal they want to observe (our filters are basically 6-pole Butterworths). CDs are sampled at higher than 40 kHz for the same reason. Oversampling also lets you improve SNR.

That said, sampling audio at 2822.4 kHz like SACD is fuckin' pointless and audiophiles are nuts.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 20:00 on May 31, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Allow me to clarify: there’s no benefit to publishing at more than twice the frequency of the signal.

There are good reasons to work with higher precision in the production process.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Allow me to clarify: there’s no benefit to publishing at more than twice the frequency of the signal.

There are good reasons to work with higher precision in the production process.
I think you want a little bit of room for output filters too, but yeah not much. 44 or 48kHz is more than enough.

Phanatic posted:

That said, sampling audio at 2822.4 kHz like SACD is fuckin' pointless and audiophiles are nuts.

SACD is overkill, but I do want to make it clear that it's sampling at a depth of 1 bit so at least approaching the megahertz range is necessary for reasonable quality.

Also apparently using 1 bit samples screws up dithering very badly? Huh.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dylan16807 posted:

I think you want a little bit of room for output filters too

An oversampling DAC (which is like 99.999% of audio DACs) will do this automatically as part of the conversion to analog, you don't have to bake it into the distributed files.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

KozmoNaut posted:

An oversampling DAC (which is like 99.999% of audio DACs) will do this automatically as part of the conversion to analog, you don't have to bake it into the distributed files.

This is known as having big DAC energy.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been reading this thread from the beginning due to overwhelming amounts of free time.
The first Coronavirus chart is on 269, and man what a time machine that is

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

If only we'd paid attention to those original 80.174 cases!

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Jun 2, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Yeah, let’s just shelve the derail for a couple of months until the panic has died down and covid-19 has gone the way of SARS, the swine flu, and countless others before it. I’m sure the alarmist idiots will be very quick to congratulate themselves for stopping what undoubtedly would have been the next Spanish flu if not for their heroic efforts :newfap:

this aged like the finest unpasteurised milk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This graph only got more divisive with time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah with a year of hindsight that kind of thinking was only used to justify the worst possible response, half-assed measures and hoping for the best.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Does this need a labelled y-axis?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
"Let's make a 2-axis plot of one-dimensional data" is what happened here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Maigius posted:

Does this need a labelled y-axis?
Things I feel about this graph

e: vvv oh that makes a lot of sense vvv

Splicer has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Jun 3, 2021

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

"Let's make a 2-axis plot of one-dimensional data" is what happened here.

I don't think so? i think it's 'how many people rate x word at y intensity.' So there's wide disagreement about how intense 'repugance' is while nearly everyone thinks revulsion, abhorance and loathing are very intense, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Magnusth posted:

I don't think so? i think it's 'how many people rate x word at y intensity.' So there's wide disagreement about how intense 'repugance' is while nearly everyone thinks revulsion, abhorance and loathing are very intense, etc.

You're inferring a lot of context which is not provided by the graph. You could be right but there's no way of knowing from that picture.