Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Biblical loving posted:

Haha they didn't even try? jfc torres

I didn't think I'd ever say that, but this piece of voyager plot actually I can grasp. If I could send my cheap as poo poo low-powered AMD SoC system back to the mid 80s it would classify as the fastest computer in the world. (with an enormous gap, too) Top people back then could certainly comprehend it, but reproducing or even really analyzing/reverse engineering it in a meaningful way (which also would mean destroying it) would be out of reach with the technology of the time, and that's only about 30 years ago.

E: Observations would certainly cause rapid technological advancements in many fields though

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Isn't that what basically happened in the 20th Century episode that they did? Some hippy came across 29th Century technology and was able to make observations/reverse engineer enough of it to cause the technological revolution and become rich in the process? Torres wasn't even trying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Isn't that what basically happened in the 20th Century episode that they did? Some hippy came across 29th Century technology and was able to make observations/reverse engineer enough of it to cause the technological revolution and become rich in the process? Torres wasn't even trying.

Pretty much. And still fell apart with him declaring "I MUST GO TO THE 29TH CENTURY TO GET MORE TECHNOLOGY!" while he still had poo poo like working Holographic technology he'd never marketed.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
drat, forgot that episode. Shame on me thinking that show actually made sense for once

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Latent Image;

The Doctor discovers he performed surgery on Harry Kim eighteen months ago... and doesn't remember it. Every attempt to discover why is thwarted, and it's not a bad conspiracy story with the reveal being the crew wiped his memories of the even for his own good... until the halfway mark in the episode when Janeway declares the Doctor isn't an individual, he's a mere thing, putting a bullet in five seasons of her treating him otherwise and encouraging his individuality. All spoken in in a firm tone of voice not unlike racist bigotry while Janeway explains in no uncertain terms to Seven that the Doctor is closer to a Replicator than a person.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I mean I get what they were trying to do, but the writers forgot that he was a hologram and I'm surprised they never :techno: up a reason why they couldn't just alter his program so that he could project multiple forms of himself around sickbay or give himself extra arms or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I mean I get what they were trying to do, but the writers forgot that he was a hologram and I'm surprised they never :techno: up a reason why they couldn't just alter his program so that he could project multiple forms of himself around sickbay or give himself extra arms or whatever.

It's really not a bad premise, but it's another episode that would've been far better served by being written present-tense instead of witnessing bits of it after the fact with the Doctor slowly losing his mind.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

But then they'd have to have continuity.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Imagine the doc projecting copies of himself. The same processor having to now handle two AIs. Then three. Then four etc.

A swarm retards with sharp instruments

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

But they easily made other holograms capable of performing surgery and poo poo like the Cardassian doctor and even had a backup Doctor stored away but then they couldn't figure out how to do that when they send the Doctor off to the Alpha Quadrant. In general having all your medical needs looked after by one holographic doctor and one guy who knows some first aid doesn't seem wise.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Having the most useful member of your crew be an unstable misfit who was full of self-loathing was dangerous too.

Yes Tom Paris was the most useful non-Tuvok member of the crew.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Bajoran comfort women :aaa:

Was surprised that Trek went there. S6 has a few of these type of episodes but it still caught me off guard. Finally got the I banged your mom call reference people in the thread have eluded to.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

the most useful non-Tuvok member of the crew.

MOST USEFUL
Doctor w/ mobile emitter
Tuvok
Lon Suder, Betazoid Murderer
Seven of Nine
Icheb
Ayala
Hogan
Thomas Eugene Paris
Doctor w/o mobile emitter
B'Elanna

Everyone Else

Naomi WIldman
Heap of The Caretaker's Remains
Tal Celes (deceased)
Leola Root (boiled)
Neelix
LEAST USEFUL

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gutcruncher posted:

Imagine the doc projecting copies of himself. The same processor having to now handle two AIs. Then three. Then four etc.

...Gary? Gary!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
7s borg stuff and borgblood are the go to plot device of the last two seasons. They're just fixing everything and anything with them. As plot device she doesn't get to count on a list of useful crew members.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

7s borg stuff and borgblood are the go to plot device of the last two seasons. They're just fixing everything and anything with them. As plot device she doesn't get to count on a list of useful crew members.

Any time Seven is a key character in an episode, the line "when you freed/removed/took me from the collective" will be spoken to Janeway.

Guaranteed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is Keiko O'Brien just a future version of Peggy Hill?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Nanoprobes fix everything. At one point they fix a murderer's brain so he feels guilt over all the people he killed. They're just magic at that point.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Seven was an interesting character as far as these shows go, also her "borg stuff" was pleasant to look at if you catch my drift. I don't have good memories of anything voyager especially since I didn't really see all of it but didn't they have lots and lots and lots of borg episodes after she showed up on the show? It almost felt like "the borg show" at some point

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
The Doctor and Borg show, guest starring Janeway.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They never should've turned Picard back. It was cool at the time but it ruined borg forever. Didnt it take forever in Picards case and wasn't it a huge deal on some medical starbase ? I guess if a hologram can turn people back, ehhhhhh

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Gutcruncher posted:

tfr?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Is it just me or was Troi way hotter in the Starfleet uniforms than she was in her yoga suit or crazy lady dresses?

What's up with all the bronzer she's wearing in season 6? Never noticed that before everything was remastered.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh wow somehow I've missed this ds9 with Ezri's mom, this is a treat after seeing most of them several times.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Peggy Hill is witty and is nice to her husband and family, so no.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thought this was a Dax episode and here's O'Brien walking in suffering.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Keiko is future Debra from Everybody Loves Raymond except O'Brien's sense of humor has been murdered and all he can do is stare and remember his time with his lover cellmate. Every now and then he puts a phaser up to his chin.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
o'brien should have gone with the spoonhead chick that was very fertile that is my opinion and i am sticking to it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Police Automaton posted:

o'brien should have gone with the spoonhead chick that was very fertile that is my opinion and i am sticking to it

:agreed:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If there is anyone that does not hold that opinion they need to confined to the TVIV thread.

I'd even go so far as to say that Dejar would be an acceptable substitute if Gilora was later found to be infertile as when she was sabotaging the Defiant she displayed some solid technical aptitude and is not a picky eater like Gilora and Keiko both are.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Police Automaton posted:

She was fine.

Not sure if she'd be worth leaving his daughter for though, even though life without Keiko might be easier.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Sten Freak posted:

Not sure if she'd be worth leaving his daughter for though, even though life without Keiko might be easier.

"Keikos Shuttle was shot down over the Sea of Bajor. It spun in. There were no survivors."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sten Freak posted:

She was fine.

It would be better for Obrien from all the hate-loving he'd get alone.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

shadow puppet of a posted:

If there is anyone that does not hold that opinion they need to confined to the TVIV thread.

TVIV hates Keiko too. Everyone hates Keiko. Her very first introduction scene in the franchise in "Data's Day" is her being awful.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I feel like Keiko and Miles have loads of hate fueled Sex tho. She wanted some when she was 10 years old :shrug:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Scudworth posted:

TVIV hates Keiko too. Everyone hates Keiko. Her very first introduction scene in the franchise in "Data's Day" is her being awful.

I'm only about halfway through DS9, but I don't hate Keiko, she seems largely inoffensive.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

I'm only about halfway through DS9, but I don't hate Keiko, she seems largely inoffensive.

Ohhhhh boy, here we go again...

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I forgot all these s7 Dax eps, Ezri is pretty cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Police Automaton posted:

Just go watch her in season 5 of Babylon 5 then. After watching the first 4 seasons.

What I'm saying is, you should all go watch Babylon 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do you think we'll ever get a Babylon 6? Or maybe a soft reboot just called "Babylon" ?