Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Transmetropolitan posted:

Any tips on how to effectively ambush? The only time it really worked for me was after beastmen AI brainfart and they retreated straight to me after setting to ambush :v:

You effectively ambush by just ending your turn with ambush stance. The point isn't ambush battles, the point is that your armies are invisible to the AI avoid-unfavorable-battles subroutine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

They still need to fail their initial do you see this ambushes check otherwise they nice as normal

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It helps to set up at choke points if you can, like bridges or mountain passes. Sometimes everything else goes right but the AI just goes around you because you didn't set up in the right place.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

They still need to fail their initial do you see this ambushes check otherwise they nice as normal

I think they only roll the check if they are close enough, though. So often times even if they do notice your army they already don't have enough movement points to get away,

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ambush stance next to a juicy vulnerable settlement to bait the enemy army into at least getting close enough to chase them down.

I noticed that savage orc and beastmen hordes that spawn aren't at war with you by default, making it easier to jump them.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Panfilo posted:

Ambush stance next to a juicy vulnerable settlement to bait the enemy army into at least getting close enough to chase them down.

I noticed that savage orc and beastmen hordes that spawn aren't at war with you by default, making it easier to jump them.

Just use a stack of a lord+ a unit of chaff as bait, the main army ambushes behind it, when the enemy comes down to kill your bait, retreat into your ambush army. Most of the time the enemy will discover your ambush army and try to go away, but they will have wasted so many movement points you'll be able to chase it down and kill the enemy on your turn.

Seriously, AI loves super weak bait armies, it's like cocaine.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is leadership effected by other units routing?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Baron Porkface posted:

Is leadership effected by other units routing?

Yes, although units that are unbreakable or immune to psychology won't be affected by other units routing. I think there are some units that don't care if certain types of units are routing, like orcs don't care if goblins are running, but I might be making that up.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I believe that is what the Expendable quality on a unit does: makes it so no one cares if it dies or routs.

On the topic of pain-in-the-rear end enemy stacks, I took Helmgart. Observing its position at the mountain pass chokepoint I gave it walls and military buildings for a fat little garrison. A beastman stack comes up the pass and just sits next to the town. I choke on my own anger as I start moving a distant army and the beastman lololol their way to burning Eihart and costing me thousands of gold. What the gently caress?! What good is a fortified town on a mountain pass when you can't do anything to actually control the pass?!

If I'd recruited a Lord right-quick and attacked the beastmen, would he have called in the town garrison? Is that the trick to actually controlling turf with fortified towns or are they damned useless and a failure to represent realistic strategy?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SuperKlaus posted:

I believe that is what the Expendable quality on a unit does: makes it so no one cares if it dies or routs.

On the topic of pain-in-the-rear end enemy stacks, I took Helmgart. Observing its position at the mountain pass chokepoint I gave it walls and military buildings for a fat little garrison. A beastman stack comes up the pass and just sits next to the town. I choke on my own anger as I start moving a distant army and the beastman lololol their way to burning Eihart and costing me thousands of gold. What the gently caress?! What good is a fortified town on a mountain pass when you can't do anything to actually control the pass?!

If I'd recruited a Lord right-quick and attacked the beastmen, would he have called in the town garrison? Is that the trick to actually controlling turf with fortified towns or are they damned useless and a failure to represent realistic strategy?

There is a huge problem with interacting with the terrain at this point: more than half of the playable races have an Underway equivalent (beastmen, wood elves, dwarfs, orcs vs empire, vampires, chaos). Underway completely ignores all terrain, and since most of your enemies have it, it becomes a detriment to NOT have it, rather than a special bonus TO have it. I'd really like to see some limitations placed on the Beastpath and Wood... path (I forget what it's called for welfs).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kaza42 posted:

There is a huge problem with interacting with the terrain at this point: more than half of the playable races have an Underway equivalent (beastmen, wood elves, dwarfs, orcs vs empire, vampires, chaos). Underway completely ignores all terrain, and since most of your enemies have it, it becomes a detriment to NOT have it, rather than a special bonus TO have it. I'd really like to see some limitations placed on the Beastpath and Wood... path (I forget what it's called for welfs).

Beastmen probably need it to function. Welves absolutely don't though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dont have a problem with invisible teleporting armies, but I think armies shouldn't be able to beast path/underway/world root over a settlement or enemy army's area of influence or whatever its called without automatically having to fight. That would help a lot

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I'd love it if you were forced into battle if you moved close to an enemy city, it loosely represents supply lines and such. Give Beastmen and wood elves a pass?

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

I'd love it if you were forced into battle if you moved close to an enemy city, it loosely represents supply lines and such. Give Beastmen and wood elves a pass?

underway battle turns into a sewer level :barf:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
When skaven are in don't be too surprised if they can launch sewer assaults on cities and towns instead of sieging the walls.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I sure hope they don't try to make a new subterranean sewage map for that. Controlling armies in several city maps is currently god drat atrocious unless you play with tiny unit sizes and I doubt sewage systems would be less cramped. It would be better if it just meant that one deploy your vanguard troops within the city walls or something akin to that.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'm betting it will just be a normal siege map with a roof on and themed like a sewer.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Zudgemud posted:

I sure hope they don't try to make a new subterranean sewage map for that. Controlling armies in several city maps is currently god drat atrocious unless you play with tiny unit sizes and I doubt sewage systems would be less cramped. It would be better if it just meant that one deploy your vanguard troops within the city walls or something akin to that.

it's mostly atrocious because of the houses blocking unit selection to the point where you have to command a siege battle from the tactical view :(

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm glad Warhammer continues the Total War tradition of Trait triggers that make no sense.
My Vlad just got the Fearful trait. Because he just won a fight in which he was outnumbered 3 to 1, was in the middle of the fight the whole time and out of all the units in the army got the second most amount of kills. And a couple of turns earlier Manfred got Likes Dwarves, despite being at war with them for 50+ turns and Manfred slaughtering them left and right. Yeah, sure he thinks the Dwarves are great allies.

Anyone know if there's a mod that tries to fix some of these triggers? I couldn't find any.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zore posted:

Beastmen probably need it to function. Welves absolutely don't though.

Yeah I'm mystified by Wood Elves having it. It makes no sense for them to show up on mountains or in the Chaos Wastes or whatever by strolling around under the planet.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I hope CA does quality of life stuff as well as adding content, because towns having zones of control would actually be loving great.

Raygereio posted:

I'm glad Warhammer continues the Total War tradition of Trait triggers that make no sense.
My Vlad just got the Fearful trait. Because he just won a fight in which he was outnumbered 3 to 1, was in the middle of the fight the whole time and out of all the units in the army got the second most amount of kills. And a couple of turns earlier Manfred got Likes Dwarves, despite being at war with them for 50+ turns and Manfred slaughtering them left and right. Yeah, sure he thinks the Dwarves are great allies.

Anyone know if there's a mod that tries to fix some of these triggers? I couldn't find any.

I think I have seen a "reasonable traits" mod in the workshop somewhere, but perhaps it is now discontinued?

fakedit: by the way, thanks for the ambushing tips everyone

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I think traits should be unlocked by the player, not just passively. So when you level up, you can pick from two choices (neither might be good) but at least youre not stuck with something bonkers.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Raygereio posted:

After scouring Norsca, salting the earth with Skaling and Varg corpses and seeding every single province up there with welf outposts, wiping out the Norse forever, apparently Durthu loves Chaos (-LD penalty when fighting norse and chaos)?

It's Durthu though so it sounds pretty legit.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think you can trigger fearful if you attack a stack where the autoresolve shows it as an absolute slaughter. Having a battle where you get 0 kills can also trigger it. I believe likes dwarves is from releasing captives.

I personally nearly never get negative traits so it's possible to avoid them. It's always a dice roll though, you could get, say harsh, from executing captives once despite releasing every other time, but you can then get rid of harsh by releasing captives to get the dice roll in the other direction. Once you get the second level of harsh (forget the name) then you can no longer reverse it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What triggers loving the race you are specifically slaughtering with the lord racking up triple digit kills every fight?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not killing the captives.

/e- So I release all captives, unless I will need the 5% replenishment, so I always risk a leadership hit against a race but am likely to get a public order bonus. I need the public order bonus to work against the -8 difficulty modifiers.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 24, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Corrode posted:

Yeah I'm mystified by Wood Elves having it. It makes no sense for them to show up on mountains or in the Chaos Wastes or whatever by strolling around under the planet.

It'd cause more problems that it'd solve, but I wish the Underway and World Roots would work on mutually exclusive bits of terrain. So you can only use the Underway to hop under mountains, and World Roots to leap between forests (and nobody should use it to leap under oceans, what the gently caress). You might need to let Dwarfs still use the mode at the end of their turns to keep the extra benefit of no attrition and an advantageous map, but :shrug:

I hope CA does quality of life stuff as well as adding content, because towns having zones of control would actually be loving great.

Posting from phone so I can't link it, but there's a mod that does exactly that.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What triggers loving the race you are specifically slaughtering with the lord racking up triple digit kills every fight?

Not executing them. Which, incidentally, can also lead to becoming a kind and honest person loved by your subjects. (Not executing them, and pardoning them for money that is)

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Having some trouble with large reinforced WE armies as Beastmen. I'm at a place in the grand campaign where I'm trying to root them out of their forest clubhouse and there are multiple stacks.

With a single army I'm able to harass their archers as they try and run with chaos hounds but when facing multiple reinforced they basically string my poo poo out everywhere and then the final army will walk onto the map and snipe my units.

I've been taking multiple cygors and bombarding their units but I still have to close on their archers to smash them with axes and that's where I get strung.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Super 3 posted:

Having some trouble with large reinforced WE armies as Beastmen. I'm at a place in the grand campaign where I'm trying to root them out of their forest clubhouse and there are multiple stacks.

With a single army I'm able to harass their archers as they try and run with chaos hounds but when facing multiple reinforced they basically string my poo poo out everywhere and then the final army will walk onto the map and snipe my units.

I've been taking multiple cygors and bombarding their units but I still have to close on their archers to smash them with axes and that's where I get strung.

Can't you just withdraw from the battle when you've dealt some damage?

Alternatively, use Lightning Strike.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fangz posted:

Can't you just withdraw from the battle when you've dealt some damage?

Alternatively, use Lightning Strike.

Can't lightning strike a garrisoned settlement

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The whole ransom/execute mechanic doesn't fit warhammer at all, they only included it because it would be harder to remove it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

Can't lightning strike a garrisoned settlement

If that's the issue have one army in ambush and use another as bait to get the garrison to leave the settlement.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

I don't think campaign Dwarves need to be able to own Greenskins even harder then normal now.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Hitting and withdrawing doesn't work as I need to destroy one of the stacks outright. The AI will pull them back and then they reinforce/breed like rats and I'm back to square one. So far dancing my armies around for a dozen or so turns to get one to pull out is about the only way I've been able to compensate.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

To be fair, in Mannfreds case it could be that he likes the taste of dwarves, and drinking stuntie blood just ain't good for your skin and posture :v:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Taking a break from Empire.

Holy poo poo orks are stupid glorious fun :dance:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Stephen9001 posted:

Not executing them. Which, incidentally, can also lead to becoming a kind and honest person loved by your subjects. (Not executing them, and pardoning them for money that is)

I execute 100% of the time and have still had Dwarf lords get the 'likes Orcs' trait. It makes no sense and is stupid.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Taking a break from Empire.

Holy poo poo orks are stupid glorious fun :dance:

protip: order is not a good thing until very late in the game. rebels are free Fightiness bumps for a recuperating army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Periphery posted:

I execute 100% of the time and have still had Dwarf lords get the 'likes Orcs' trait. It makes no sense and is stupid.

Okay, now THAT I'm pretty sure should not be happening. My recommendation is stop executing and always ransom/pardon, since that way you at least have a chance of proccing positive traits such as positive public order. I think there's a mod to fix your particular problem, but I don't know if it's still in the workshop.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

• Locked thread