Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In my 2 years of playing flag football, I feel like I injure a new part of my body every season. First it was a pulled quad, then it was a sore back, then sore ankles, then shin splints. I'm probably pushing my body too hard without proper conditioning, oops.

weird Asian candy posted:

Yeah, it's hard because without a job you can't be too picky, but it sounds like you have some potentially better opportunities so good for you. In my experience, companies that start low don't do that just to see what you have and then bump up your pay, they usually start low and remain low which is extremely frustrating. My last company was like that, they lowballed the poo poo out of me but since i was moving out of state and wanted to stay with my family, I ended up taking a job making $30K less than what I was in Illinois. They ended up paying me less than what I was making as a contractor when I converted, when I asked to be paid more I got a "Well we can give you 2K more but that's it" reply which forced my hand into looking for a new job. Fast forward a month, and I had an offer that was much more than what I was making even as a contractor, for a cooler company, better benefits, etc.

So I think you are doing the right thing. Hope one of the 2 new opportunities hits for ya my man.

Yeah, if I was 5 years younger, I probably would have jumped at the first job opportunity I had as a college grad. But now that I'm experienced and know a thing or two about negotiation this helps a lot. Plus, my girlfriend works in HR compensation, so she's analyzed any comp package I've got to see if it's worth it. But knowing that my comp offer is poo poo basically makes it seem like I would always have that in the back of my mind if I worked there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Intruder posted:

It's not like my hand is just spontaneously getting hurt, it's just bad luck with reaching for steals and only getting one finger on the ball but enough of that finger that it gets pulled

The sign that I should hang em up is more the whole walking around like Frankenstein's monster an hour after we're doing playing because I'm so stiff

That sucks when it is the same injury over and over. It gets seriously depressing.

I hear you on the after effects though. Not too long ago my 19 year old nephew was talking poo poo about beating me in a race (I've always been fast and he has had it out for me for years) so I agreed to race him a few times. I won all the races, but I ultimately lost the war because I was basically a cripple for the next couple days.

Getting old sucks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Ugh, shin splints

gently caress those they can gently caress right off

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

e: I actually used to jam fingers all the time as a kid, my right middle finger is slightly Torry Holted

Better than being JPP'd, at least.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I used to have really bad shin splints but then someone told me to run at a .5 incline and it cured them immediately, unfortunately this is harder to address if you run outside

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
The gently caress is going on

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/875033373332434945

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The US has like 30 shootings a day, so not much other then them happening in more white-urban areas.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/jimpjorps/status/875030596384378880

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The congressman who got shot spoke at a gathering of white supremacists in 2002 when he was a state rep. And I'm not referring to GOP lawmakers here. Fooooooooolks,,,

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I assume that's Groverhaus

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat, I used to work there.

That's the UPS hub for SF. It's got four stories inside, most of which is a giant maze of conveyer belts and chutes connecting to loading docks, where a couple hundred thousand packages a day manage to mostly not get mangled. Right now it should be fairly empty, though, the morning preload shift ends around 9AM as the trucks drive out, and the evening unload shift doesn't start till fairly late.

Having a gunfight inside that place would be like an actual platformer video game.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Chichevache posted:

More retarded than Mike?

I think the real question is...would he have no shame farting on national television?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

swickles posted:

And a miracle no more, the shooter just died.

What a waste. At least nobody else died.

That fuckhead really hurt the causes he cared about. What a dick.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't want to talk about the shooter so I'll talk about my own shooting on the court where I repeatedly injured my lower back landing awkwardly on jump shots and then at some point the injury morphed into sciatic nerve damage and let me tell you something brother, you don't want that poo poo.

I retired from basketball. Try not sleeping longer than 2 hours at a time for about three straight weeks. Sciatic pain is a mother fucker. Planks help but holy poo poo. There was an internet community of chronic sufferers that I found online and they were all discussing the pros and cons of cutting your leg off. Seriously.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Smoke weed about it man

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Random, but just saw this on twitter and I am a huge Bruce Lee nerd. Pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/Crystal1Johnson/status/874701398943780865

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Weird how when it's a single white male shooter for the other side it's political but when it's a single white male shooter from your side it's mental illness.

I dont see what being white has to do with it, whitey

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Random, but just saw this on twitter and I am a huge Bruce Lee nerd. Pretty cool.

I get to geek out on this!

Notice how incredibly slow the movements seem on one end. This is a point demonstration meaning Lee is clearly only trying to show how to score rather than hurt someone (let's forget that we know Bruce Lee is capable of something nuts like 120 psi from a one inch punch)

Lees fluidity between his feet and his hand make him seem like lightning. He's back in a stance after punching by the time student (and likely an incredible martial artist in his own right) reacts. It's nuts.

And to think he's more kung fu than anything

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

1:05 little leg shove while opponent is going for a big kick to lead into a combo is dope as gently caress

Another stellar example of UW quality.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

I get to geek out on this!

Notice how incredibly slow the movements seem on one end. This is a point demonstration meaning Lee is clearly only trying to show how to score rather than hurt someone (let's forget that we know Bruce Lee is capable of something nuts like 120 psi from a one inch punch)

Lees fluidity between his feet and his hand make him seem like lightning. He's back in a stance after punching by the time student (and likely an incredible martial artist in his own right) reacts. It's nuts.

And to think he's more kung fu than anything

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

1:05 little leg shove while opponent is going for a big kick to lead into a combo is dope as gently caress

I'm glad you guys appreciated it as well, I watched that in awe of just how much of a bad rear end Lee was. I was curious who Ted Wong was, but figured if he was a "top student" of Lee he must have been a bad rear end himself and yeah...

quote:

Wong's first encounter with Bruce Lee was in 1967, in Los Angeles, California, where Lee was giving a Kung Fu seminar.[1] Wong had no martial arts training, and was interested in western boxing and some martial arts. He was so impressed by Lee, however, that he decided to study at Lee's kwoon, the Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute in Los Angeles.[2] Shortly after beginning his studies, Lee accepted Wong as a private student. Wong became Lee's sparring partner and close friend.[3]

Wong was present as Lee developed Jun Fan Gung Fu into Jeet Kune Do. He was present to see Lee train other martial artists, including Karate Champion Joe Lewis and basketball star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Wong was one of only a few people to receive rank in the art of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee. [4] Wong never learned another martial art besides what Lee had taught him, thus he never taught anything other than what he learned .[2]

Wong gave seminars and continued to teach privately until his death. He coauthored several books about Jeet Kune Do. Some of his students included Bruce Lee’s daughter Shannon Lee.[5] Wong was a lifetime board member of the Bruce Lee Foundation and the Jeet Kune Do Society.[6]

Ted Wong had a core group of long-time students whom he certified as instructors such as Lewis Luk, Richard Torres, Albert Grajales (INTERPOL), Mark Stewart and others around the world.[7] These instructors are continuing practice the JKD as taught by Ted Wong, as taught to him by Bruce Lee, at their own locations.[7]

Ted Wong was inducted into Black Belt magazine's Hall of Fame as the "Man of the Year" in 2006

Bruce Lee made that dude look like an amateur :stare:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Company called back, upped the offer back into the range that I originally asked for :toot: bad news is that I need to respond by end of day tomorrow, basically meaning either I pick this job and continuously run a "what if" scenario in my head of what those other jobs would offer, or reject and hope these other 2 interviews pan out.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Ever gone to his grave site near Volunteer Park? It's zen as heck.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

seiferguy posted:

Company called back, upped the offer back into the range that I originally asked for :toot: bad news is that I need to respond by end of day tomorrow, basically meaning either I pick this job and continuously run a "what if" scenario in my head of what those other jobs would offer, or reject and hope these other 2 interviews pan out.
Take the job

E: This is coming from someone who has had a career path similar to Intruder's, but a bird in the hand etc etc
E2: I was also unemployed for over two years. I wish I was offered a job within weeks of losing my previous job, but c'est la vie

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 14, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Eli Wiggum posted:

Take the job

Yeah, I'd probably take it especially considering you said the company seemed cool and on the up and up. If it's not jiving down the line, you can always look then while getting paid at your current job.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

drat, I used to work there.

That's the UPS hub for SF. It's got four stories inside, most of which is a giant maze of conveyer belts and chutes connecting to loading docks, where a couple hundred thousand packages a day manage to mostly not get mangled. Right now it should be fairly empty, though, the morning preload shift ends around 9AM as the trucks drive out, and the evening unload shift doesn't start till fairly late.

Having a gunfight inside that place would be like an actual platformer video game.

Did you ever witness small package pickoff leading to destination trucks? The way my buddy described it it is my ideal job to be doing while possibly being shot at.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

I'm glad you guys appreciated it as well, I watched that in awe of just how much of a bad rear end Lee was. I was curious who Ted Wong was, but figured if he was a "top student" of Lee he must have been a bad rear end himself and yeah...

Bruce Lee made that dude look like an amateur :stare:

I don't know the history of Bruce Lee all that well but that's what I was getting at - dudes fighting one of his top students. To get into a good dojo youve gotta earn it. Imagine watching Tom Brady school a dude like a rookie Andrew Luck in every facet.

My background is Chito Ryu karate, so pretty different from Lees discipline, but we both use our quick twitch and lower body for strength in quick punches

I've got crazy add bc I keep going back to watch the video as I comment. He's so awesome

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh one of the better stories is Jackie Chan, world champion of karate 7 years in a row, sparred with Bruce Lee while

1. chan was in his absolute prime physically
2. Bruce was on the tail end of his

On the set of Enter The Dragon or something, and Lee just destroyed Jackie by going full speed trying to show him a move off camera. He forgot that NOBODY is as on his level

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder how Lee would do against today's bulked out MMA fighters.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

I don't know the history of Bruce Lee all that well but that's what I was getting at - dudes fighting one of his top students. To get into a good dojo youve gotta earn it. Imagine watching Tom Brady school a dude like a rookie Andrew Luck in every facet.

My background is Chito Ryu karate, so pretty different from Lees discipline, but we both use our quick twitch and lower body for strength in quick punches

I've got crazy add bc I keep going back to watch the video as I comment. He's so awesome

He is. I went through a ginormous martial arts phase when I was really young after seeing Enter The Dragon, like I could not get enough Karate/Ninja movies. I wish I could have been been a little older to appreciate who he was and the impact he had.

Amy Pole Her posted:

On the set of Enter The Dragon or something, and Lee just destroyed Jackie by going full speed trying to show him a move off camera. He forgot that NOBODY is as on his level

OMG, I would have loved to have seen this.

e: this is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8CtOqJy6xM

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Every once and awhile I watch that kick from enter the dragon on loop and marvel a human can do that

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I wonder how Lee would do against today's bulked out MMA fighters.

If you just dropped him into a modern MMA fight blind he'd probably be confused by some of the poo poo people were doing, mainly the better grapplers I would think. Against guys his weight class who are mainly strikers he'd have a much better chance. MMA has changed by leaps and bounds since it became a thing, and it didn't even properly exist when he died.

If we're doing time travel and giving him time to train with modern methods, I'd expect him to be pretty badass - the guy still looks like a strength + speed freak for his size NOW in spite of coming from a time when training and nutrition were way more primitive.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Eli Wiggum posted:

Take the job

E: This is coming from someone who has had a career path similar to Intruder's, but a bird in the hand etc etc
E2: I was also unemployed for over two years. I wish I was offered a job within weeks of losing my previous job, but c'est la vie

My field of work is desirable around the Seattle area right now, hence why I feel like I could be a little picky. If I was fresh out of college, I'd probably take the first job thrown at me,

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I confused stories. I'm talking Chuck Norris, not Chan.

That Jackie Chan Bruce Lee clip rules though lol

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sean10mm posted:

If you just dropped him into a modern MMA fight blind he'd probably be confused by some of the poo poo people were doing, mainly the better grapplers I would think. Against guys his weight class who are mainly strikers he'd have a much better chance. MMA has changed by leaps and bounds since it became a thing, and it didn't even properly exist when he died.

If we're doing time travel and giving him time to train with modern methods, I'd expect him to be pretty badass - the guy still looks like a strength + speed freak for his size NOW in spite of coming from a time when training and nutrition were way more primitive.

It's so hard to say. He was so fast and such an anomaly, it would feel foolish to take anyone over Lee. I feel like the bulked out roiders would not stand a chance and it would take a grappler like you said.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Bruce Lee would absolutely obliterate anyone in his weight class

He had so much power from technique he was famous for it. Google one inch punch

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If Bruce Lee was in his prime now, MMA wouldn't have him, but man would we have more good kung fu movies.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol that Lee used the Jon Jones "extend fingers at opponent's eyes" technique

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

If Bruce Lee was in his prime now, MMA wouldn't have him, but man would we have more good kung fu movies.

There does seem to be a shortage of good martial arts action stars right now, at least in terms of guys who are breaking into the American market.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The dude who played Liu Kang followed up by being Chris Farley's sidekick in a bad spoof of kung fu movies and then I never saw him again

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Did you ever witness small package pickoff leading to destination trucks? The way my buddy described it it is my ideal job to be doing while possibly being shot at.

I think I know what you mean. Smalls are containerized, so basically they fill big clear garbage bags full of the tiny stuff. Preload is when they take everything out of truck trailers and the containers that go on airplanes, a big crew sorts by (mostly) zip code, and then each zip code translates to one or two "lines" - long conveyer belts where someone "splits" the packages out into rows on the belt, labels up, and individual loaders grab everything that belongs on the delivery trucks (called "package cars"). The containerized smalls are pulled out of the flow of packages coming right off the trucks, and once time that guy was sick or on vacation or something so I actually did that job for a day. It's.. yeah, loving easy as poo poo. You pull off the bag, tear it open, and dump the contents onto a belt that goes to "small sort" and small sort is the cake job, where the shop foreman and all the preload workers who have been there for a decade have managed to get themselves situated. No heavy things to lift, no huge rush, just sort out all the small stuff by zip code and then those get carted over to the individual zip code lines.

I imagine you might be referring to the evening shift, where someone must be doing this in reverse - picking the small packages and envelopes out of the flow that is heading for outbound trucks, dumping them into big bags, and then routing those bags to where they need to go. My general impression is that the evening shift is less hectic - package cars with incoming stuff arrive all day long, and they can delay a feeder truck (trailer going to some other hub by road) for a little bit if they need to, whereas in the preload shift, every package car has to get out to deliver on time because of guaranteed morning delivery packages. But I never worked that shift so I don't really know.

That particular UPS hub is very old. It has a big "carousel" thing, which is a double-decker row of giant bins that run on a long oval track, built allegedly by a company that made carousel rides back in the day. I was told it was originally designed to handle about 10k packages a day, but that by the time I worked there in the 90s we were doing 100k a day on a normal day, and two or three times that during the christmas rush. I imagine it's even worse now. But shutting it down for months to replace it was not really an option so we were stuck with the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Amy Pole Her posted:

I confused stories. I'm talking Chuck Norris, not Chan.

That Jackie Chan Bruce Lee clip rules though lol

That makes more sense, since Jackie Chan is the greatest of all time. Also all of his movies are better.

• Locked thread