Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Veev posted:

The CT series had a lot of greek names involved including a repeat here so I liked to think they're all named by Amon and he was using the god level power to revisit his old classics.

That and as we've discovered the Ancients were all in on Greek names to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Cleared the first raid with a pick-up group on the first try. Still don't understand the white Aetherchain mech though.

I know it's a half-room cleave, but not which colors to stand on.

EDIT: Wrong thread. But whatever.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 21, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Offkorn posted:

Cleared the first raid with a pick-up group on the first try. Still don't understand the white Aetherchain mech though.

I know it's a half-room cleave, but not which colors to stand on.

EDIT: Wrong thread. But whatever.

The colors floating around the boss.

4th boss spoilers.

Lol, we just fight Castlevania Dracula.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

ImpAtom posted:

The colors floating around the boss.

4th boss spoilers.

Lol, we just fight Castlevania Dracula.

Yeah, I discovered my mistake. The white orbs correspond to the green/turquoise floor panels. Thought it was some kind of combination thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also I'll repeat it here but I am 99% sure that our new friend from the raids ends up being the Lahabrea we know.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

ImpAtom posted:

Also I'll repeat it here but I am 99% sure that our new friend from the raids ends up being the Lahabrea we know.

He's got Elidibus's VA in the post-MSQ teaser, so that'd be a pretty big bait and switch.

Edit: Oh wait you probably meant the other dude lol. That seems like a reasonable guess from what I've seen so far.

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 21, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Of Greek names, we've got our Athena. In lore, at least.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not sure how I feel about them giving Elidibus the name of a goddess. Or the female Midlander animations.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

One of the things that made the apocalypse work for me is the fact where it happened. Thavnair is in many ways an aspirational place, a beacon of hope for many of the problems we've been dealing with forever.

Beastman conflict? Completely absent. The distinction between 'other races' and 'beastmen' doesn't really seem to exist for these folks. There were some jerks, but they left. (Alright, that one makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable since it might be questionable whether they've kicked out a bloodthirsty polity or a whole rear end ethnicity)

Dragon/non-dragon conflict: Absent. There's a dragon there that genuinely loves mortals, and never actually hated them. He's only hiding to protect the people near him.

Oh poo poo, imperialism: Handled. Yeah, there were some imperialist Hyur that showed up. But it got settled, and they ended up peacefully becoming part of the community.

Xenophobia: Very little. As a people, they seem to be very welcoming of outsiders, eager for their news.

Now, of course, we meet them while they are clearly struggling because of Fandaniel. But, together with them, with hard work and sacrifice, we do not only resolve their problems, giving them hope that they'll flourish again, but bring that hope all over Aetherys. I genuinely, cared for this place, and thought that far more than Sharlayan, it was a beacon of hope for this world.

So when it got hit hard with despair and terror, I was buying in very much to the idea that 'gently caress, this is horrifying and I NEED to do something about it'. Could they have done more to show it doing poo poo all over the world? Outside of role quests? Perhaps, but that might have slowed the pacing down.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

PoorWeather posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about them giving Elidibus the name of a goddess. Or the female Midlander animations.

Iirc Milton’s name is Artemis so. There’s precedent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hopeandjoy posted:

Iirc Milton’s name is Artemis so. There’s precedent.

There's grounding to the theory that Mitron might have actually been a woman who had a man's body at the time, though. There's the name, the very feminine boss design, the fact that when first mentioned in the ShB all-roles capstone quest, the French localization used feminine pronouns and confirmed it was intentional when asked (no other language uses any pronouns). And when brought up in Elpis, they pointedly avoid saying any pronouns at all for them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

There's grounding to the theory that Mitron might have actually been a woman who had a man's body at the time, though. There's the name, the very feminine boss design, the fact that when first mentioned in the ShB all-roles capstone quest, the French localization used feminine pronouns and confirmed it was intentional when asked (no other language uses any pronouns). And when brought up in Elpis, they pointedly avoid saying any pronouns at all for them.

There's also explicit precedence for this kind of thing. If you play as a woman, then your Azem was a woman. Meaning that Ardbert was a woman's soul (or at least it was a woman's soul at the time of the Sundering) in a man's body.

That kind of thing is why Sadu's tribe are explicitly non-binary and/or genderfluid, they are well aware that a soul can inhabit either gender when it reincarnates.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ImpAtom posted:

Great, a raid series to explain why Lahabrea wasn't able to cast magic like Emet. Turns out he was just poo poo at it.

What are the odds that the final wing will reveal that Emet, Lahabrea and Elidibus were unsundered because they were playing pest control in Pandemonium when it happened?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

Mitron is referred to as a man in Elpis (who has not yet got together with Gaia, but is besotted with her)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SirSamVimes posted:

Mitron is referred to as a man in Elpis (who has not yet got together with Gaia, but is besotted with her)

Do you have a screenshot of that? Because from my recollection Cleretic is right that they pointedly avoided using a pronoun for Mitron, they are just referred to as a researcher.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CJ posted:

Great, a raid series to explain why Lahabrea wasn't able to cast magic like Emet. Turns out he was just poo poo at it.

What are the odds that the final wing will reveal that Emet, Lahabrea and Elidibus were unsundered because they were playing pest control in Pandemonium when it happened?

Very low, given that the sundering would've happened during or after the End of Days, and that is very clearly not happening.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

You know, I could imagine the Ancients, who are very big on 'not revealing your face, not wearing any 'individualizing' clothing, and all that kind of thing wouldn't really be all that encouraging of showing off one's gender, one way or the other.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Very low, given that the sundering would've happened during or after the End of Days, and that is very clearly not happening.

Didn't Emet-Selch also say the three of them were on the moon in Shadowbringers? Or am I misremembering a fan theory as canon?

If I'm not (which I likely am, thinking on this next point), was there a natural moon that Hydaelyn replaced with the current one for Zodiark's jail, or did she just modify the current one and the Loporrits/Watcher take that as creating it?

I guess I could check the night sky while next hanging out in Elpis...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The mask stays on during sex.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Shogeton posted:

You know, I could imagine the Ancients, who are very big on 'not revealing your face, not wearing any 'individualizing' clothing, and all that kind of thing wouldn't really be all that encouraging of showing off one's gender, one way or the other.

Also I can imagine that transforming your well, body, in that way seems like it might be fairly accessible magic. I at least find it a nice thought that the Ancients just decided their gender and that's what they were. I mean, it's probably a much easier transformation than what Hades/Hermes do.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

If you're talking about the Lost Flower quest, they don't gender Mitron in the dialogue.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Welp, pretty much confirmed that Lahabrea (at least the Elpis one) is Hephaestus, given that Erichthonius' myth IRL has him born of Hephaestus' semen and that's where I leave it cause what the gently caress ancient greeks

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

In Thomas Moore's Amaurot, courtship involved stripping nude and examining each others bodies to make sure they were satisfactory.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also I can imagine that transforming your well, body, in that way seems like it might be fairly accessible magic. I at least find it a nice thought that the Ancients just decided their gender and that's what they were. I mean, it's probably a much easier transformation than what Hades/Hermes do.

Before EW gave us the familiar explanation, I'd kinda assumed it was just fashionable among the Ancients to just change their bodies (we know they can, since Emet shapeshifts all his vessels) in various ways based on their personal tastes, and that was where all the non-Hyur races came from. Like, being a catgirl was just a subculture.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Through the first three circles of Pandaemonium and SUPER COOL UTOPIA ZERO FLAWS ZERO ISSUES NO SIREE, EVERYTHING PERFECT HERE IN AMAUROT, LAND OF PERFECTION

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

PoorWeather posted:

they/themis

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoorWeather posted:

Before EW gave us the familiar explanation, I'd kinda assumed it was just fashionable among the Ancients to just change their bodies (we know they can, since Emet shapeshifts all his vessels) in various ways based on their personal tastes, and that was where all the non-Hyur races came from. Like, being a catgirl was just a subculture.

Even so, my impression is that the playable races aren't descended from the Ancients directly but from their familiars and other creations. In my read, that's part of what drove Emet and Lahabrea so up the goddamn wall: the world was inherited by mere creations, test subjects, pets, and toys that got loose and wound up inheriting the world and souls of their predecessors.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Even so, my impression is that the playable races aren't descended from the Ancients directly but from their familiars and other creations. In my read, that's part of what drove Emet and Lahabrea so up the goddamn wall: the world was inherited by mere creations, test subjects, pets, and toys that got loose and wound up inheriting the world and souls of their predecessors.

My guess now would be that the Hyur are descended directly from the Ancients, while the other playable races are either descended from creations or are hybrids. We know from the Qitana Ravel sequence I've brought up too many times in this thread that some Ancients directly "survived" the Sundering, albeit with almost no memories of their former lives, and that Emet was particularly upset by this idea of pieces of former people existing while not even knowing the scope of what they've lost. And if you're playing a Hyur in Elpis, the only thing NPCs remark on as unusual about you is your thin aether, in contrast to every other race which gets their inhuman features commented on. So they must consider you within the range of a physically normal person - even if you're a bit short playing a Midlander.

Hyur are also abundant all over the planet, while the other races are varying degrees of regional. And finally, it looks like the Sundering didn't do anything to most creatures physically other than make them smaller - Morbols are still Morbols in Eorzea as they are in Elpis, just comparatively pint-sized. So my assumption would be that people wouldn't be any different.

That said, it doesn't seem like the Lifestream cares about species when it comes to reincarnation, since we've seen Beastmen with the Echo and thus sundered Ancient souls. So you're definitely right about that, even if I dunno if that'd upset Emet in particular. If you wanted to take an uncharitable read on him, it is kinda dubious that both the Allagan and Garlean Empires were run by Hyur (or, well, a subgroup of them in the latter case).

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 21, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
me at a restaurant: I’d like a phoenix
The waitress: is phoinix okay?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

I wish if you had a summoner leveled you could pop out Phoenix like What's the big deal I got one too.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
What's the chance that the Viera aren't Venat's creation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Her title before retiring was Venat The Everthirsty

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoorWeather posted:

My guess now would be that the Hyur are descended directly from the Ancients, while the other playable races are either descended from creations or are hybrids. We know from the Qitana Ravel sequence I've brought up too many times in this thread that some Ancients directly "survived" the Sundering, albeit with almost no memories of their former lives, and that Emet was particularly upset by this idea of pieces of former people existing while not even knowing the scope of what they've lost. And if you're playing a Hyur in Elpis, the only thing NPCs remark on as unusual about you is your thin aether, in contrast to every other race which gets their inhuman features commented on. So they must consider you within the range of a physically normal person - even if you're a bit short playing a Midlander.

Hyur are also abundant all over the planet, while the other races are varying degrees of regional. And finally, it looks like the Sundering didn't do anything to most creatures physically other than make them smaller - Morbols are still Morbols in Eorzea as they are in Elpis, just comparatively pint-sized. So my assumption would be that people wouldn't be any different.

That said, it doesn't seem like the Lifestream cares about species when it comes to reincarnation, since we've seen Beastmen with the Echo and thus sundered Ancient souls. So you're definitely right about that, even if I dunno if that'd upset Emet in particular. If you wanted to take an uncharitable read on him, it is kinda dubious that both the Allagan and Garlean Empires were run by Hyur (or, well, a subgroup of them in the latter case).

All true. And it does occur to me: I don't think we've ever seen an Ascian in a non-hyur body. Might, even probably, not be intentional, but it's an interesting implication.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

thetoughestbean posted:

Loved that multiple of us were like "this is just turn 12, what the gently caress" during the fight in my group. :v:

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

On the topic of where the races come from, it's interesting how it's almost explicit that the Au Ra were made as warriors by the different factions in the Hydaelyn vs Zodiark fight from the text in the Azim lore tidbit, even though that was from Stormblood.

quote:

Azim, The Dawn Father, is the Auri god of the sun believed to have warred with Nhaama, the Dusk Mother, in time immemorial. To settle their conflict, Azim is said to have created the Auri Raen as soldiers to fight a proxy war against the Auri Xaela created by Nhaama. However, the Raen and Xaela are said to have put aside their differences and learned to love one another, leading the gods to depart the mortal world and bequeath it to Their creations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cythereal posted:

All true. And it does occur to me: I don't think we've ever seen an Ascian in a non-hyur body. Might, even probably, not be intentional, but it's an interesting implication.

Not true, Emet is constantly hanging out in a non-hyur body!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PoorWeather posted:

On the topic of where the races come from, it's interesting how it's almost explicit that the Au Ra were made as warriors by the different factions in the Hydaelyn vs Zodiark fight from the text in the Azim lore tidbit, even though that was from Stormblood.

I'm not even sure Hydaelyn vs Zodiark would be a fight. Considering Hydaelyn needed to surprise attack him and sunder the world to stand a chance against 75% of the entire population of the Ancients (or at least Amaurot).

The Au Ra seem more likely to have been made by Azem (Azim/Azeyma) as a separate thing. Especially because that story is backwards for Hydaelyn and Zodiark (Dawn Father, Dusk Mother). Azem's constellation for the Convocation being the Sun after all, and the name connections.

Azem notably did not agree with Venat or the Convocation and went to do their own thing (which we still don't know what) about the End of Days.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is some screenshot I saw of post-game dialog stuff that seems to show Magnai referring to Hydaelyn as the Dusk Mother. Of course, it is *Magnai*. I should probably go chat with Cirina's grandma or something.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

OddObserver posted:

Hythlodaeus is very clearly the basis of the bun dudes, to my eye. Not sure if that's a vote for or against your point.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

Azem notably did not agree with Venat or the Convocation

To my awareness (and I fully accept I could be wrong), I thought it was that no one could reach Azem, not that Azem had any stated position on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kyrosiris posted:

To my awareness (and I fully accept I could be wrong), I thought it was that no one could reach Azem, not that Azem had any stated position on the matter.

From my own memory, Azem left the convocation over the Zodiark plan, and later on when approached by Venat’s faction didn’t care to go along with their plan either.