Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kit Walker posted:

1997. Though 98 also had a great crop

threads of fate came out in 2000 so i'm gonna say that was a good year too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I just find personally that different voice actors' tone, inflection, timing etc. can put across a different personality for the characters and I generally prefer whatever language the media began with.

I think it probably mostly comes down to how you first experience it being what you end up preferring.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

starkebn posted:

I just find personally that different voice actors' tone, inflection, timing etc. can put across a different personality for the characters and I generally prefer whatever language the media began with.

I think it probably mostly comes down to how you first experience it being what you end up preferring.

Neeeeeeeeeeerd

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I watch everything with subtitles on now, even Justified. Audio mixing is always off sometimes and if I'm trying to listen and understand everything that's said I'll miss something a lot easier than if I can also read it. Not movies, though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i figure the lip flaps are animated for the native language

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I just watch both and sometimes I'll watch the sub and dub of a show, especially if the dub comes out several weeks in.

The dub for Kaiju No. 8 is pretty good. Been enjoying that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

Traditionally they had to transliterate scripts so that the English dub synched with the lip flaps, which is why a lot of localizations seem so weird and stilted sometimes.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The existence of any good English dub is as rare as the planets aligning with the Sun. English voice directors for some reason have no idea what they're doing unless it's a professional production because a big company like Disney localized a Ghibli film in the 90s. IMO the big factor in all of this is California. I blame Californians for sucking rear end and not caring that much about anything.
Maybe it's not true anymore but my understanding is that it's not California's fault because a vast majority of English anime dubbing is done by a group of companies in Texas since the early 90s. I feel like a lot of the problems are probably due to anime voice acting drawing from a completely different talent pool than live-action voice actors, cartoon actors, video game voice actors, etc.

Bad acting aside dubs drive me crazy because they are always affecting this specific Anime Voice Acting tone that is jarringly unlike the way any normal person has ever spoken, even when there's a relatively naturalistic performance in Japanese.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I read a very nice manga recently, Giant Spider & Me: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale, which is a sweet story about a girl finding and befriending a gigantic but friendly and cute spider. Cooking is a big part of the story and I even made one of the recipes that featured in the story, turnip soup, that was really good.

8 or 9 out of 10 easily. and there was no pervert grossness in it at all.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pitch posted:

Bad acting aside dubs drive me crazy because they are always affecting this specific Anime Voice Acting tone that is jarringly unlike the way any normal person has ever spoken, even when there's a relatively naturalistic performance in Japanese.

https://twitter.com/HimejoshiSlim/status/1693296928883159550

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Pitch posted:

I feel like this is more prominent in anime dubbing over video game dubs; there's frequent actor crossover between them and you can find a lot of examples of VAs in anime dubs putting out annoying performances and then them putting out a good one in a game.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the ghost stories dub and its consequences

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I watch everything with subtitles on now, even Justified. Audio mixing is always off sometimes and if I'm trying to listen and understand everything that's said I'll miss something a lot easier than if I can also read it. Not movies, though.

Same, though mainly because I'm just bad at processing speech via audio sometimes.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Ytlaya posted:

Same, though mainly because I'm just bad at processing speech via audio sometimes.

samesies

welcome to the spectrum

anyway the worst part about randomly finding a great movie is that now i'm bored and nothing else is scratching the itch as well

e: also mars express is available now, mateys. subs only

tokin opposition has issued a correction as of 05:33 on May 11, 2024

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Ytlaya posted:

Cowboy Bebop...Utena...none of this trash is as good as Valvrave the Liberator, the best anime ever made

hell yeah brother

edit : it has come to my attention that this post might not have been in earnest and that I've been bamboozled. Truly not a sugoi moment

January 6 Survivor has issued a correction as of 07:10 on May 11, 2024

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Konosuba's dub is great.

Also Franky sounds stupid in One Piece's sub, while Ian Sinclair's take on Brook elevates the character.

I'm very tired, so these are my thoughts on dubs vs subs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

tokin opposition posted:

samesies

welcome to the spectrum

Yeah this is me too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

while Ian Sinclair's take on Brook elevates the character.
oh yeah? post the english version of nekomamushi song

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

Japanese lip flaps are animated on a "just flip the two cels back and forth on sixes or so, it's close enough" basis.

Pitch posted:

Relatively does hold a lot of weight there. From the outside of the dubbing side looking in, there's room to lay some blame at the feet of direction, and some at the weird nonunion Texas milieu effectively being split off from "normal" VO work by one or another aspect of that, but IMO the absolute biggest is that there is essentially no Anglophone, and especially American, I guess light opera tradition? In terms of going too hard on voices as a stock-characterization method, and therefore it's always going to be ~anime va tone~ but on the other hand something's gonna be missing from the overall package if it isn't done.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

January 6 Survivor posted:

hell yeah brother

edit : it has come to my attention that this post might not have been in earnest and that I've been bamboozled. Truly not a sugoi moment

I am actually only half-kidding. For some inexplicable reason* I enjoyed Valvrave more than any other "one-off unique mecha IP" series I've seen.

* the reason is that it has really good music. Both the T.M. Revolution/Nana Mizuki OPs own, as well as the angela ED.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I am actually only half-kidding. For some inexplicable reason* I enjoyed Valvrave more than any other "one-off unique mecha IP" series I've seen.

* the reason is that it has really good music. Both the T.M. Revolution/Nana Mizuki OPs own, as well as the angela ED.

I remember Valvrave. Was literally crying with laughter while watching. What more could you want? I think the second season was just boring though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

LOL this has been my experience watching the dungeon meshi dub clips people have posted.

I haven't seen prozds bits tho

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Dang, the Dungeon Meshi writing is so good. The latest episode is incredible in such simple seeming moments that are easy to follow and get much more from them too. The dream sequence just unfolds so naturally, exposing more and more character as it's goes.

starkebn has issued a correction as of 12:32 on May 11, 2024

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lol

In france they dub every movie and every big name star get their own specific dub actor so if your first movie role was some meathead or doofus character that's the voice you're stuck with for the rest of your career

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

LOL this has been my experience watching the dungeon meshi dub clips people have posted.

I haven't seen prozds bits tho

Izutsumi sounds like a woman in her 30s and Laura Stahl is 32 years old. It's like they're not even trying. Sungwon Cho does a great job as Senshi, but this is why lack of voice direction is such a huge problem. They're depending on voice actors to bring all the talent and make the magic happen themselves.

starkebn posted:

Dang, the Dungeon Meshi writing is so good. The latest episode is incredible in such simple seeming moments that are easy to follow and get much more from them too. The dream sequence just unfolds so naturally, exposing more and more character as it's goes.

Re-encountering Falin as the dragon is when the series hits its stride, and the little seeds Kui planted earlier start germinating into a cohesive plot. It only gets better moving forward.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 14:34 on May 11, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Marcilles eng va has been good tho

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Chainsaw Man's dub is pretty bad. Though the japanese voice actor for Denji got a lot of flak for not being unhinged enough when really he nailed it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Denji isn't really that unhinged at all. He's a remarkably normal kid who just so happens to have the worst possible upbringing any Japanese child could possibly have.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Denji isn't really that unhinged at all. He's a remarkably normal kid who just so happens to have the worst possible upbringing any Japanese child could possibly have.

Yeah if anything he's a pretty cheerful guy who's gone from living in hell to living in a hell of his choice with a pretty good standard of living. All the moments where he's "unhinged" are either him being excited about coming up with a genius 2-braincell solution to a problem or getting pissed off about other people for looking down on his meager dreams and his Japanese VA captures those moods perfectly

Really, the cast of Chainsaw Man is a bunch of people who have been hollowed out on the inside or are on their way to getting hollowed out, with exceptions in Power and Kobeni, and delivering kind of understated performances is the exact right tone

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 15:47 on May 11, 2024

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Exactly. Idk what they were on about

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Re-encountering Falin as the dragon is when the series hits its stride, and the little seeds Kui planted earlier start germinating into a cohesive plot. It only gets better moving forward.

Yeah, I honestly did not expect the show to take that turn with her but it works incredibly well.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Truga posted:

oh yeah? post the english version of nekomamushi song

You mean the character that Sungwon Cho also voices? Yeah, you're kind of boosting the argument for dubs there, buddy.:smugbert:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

You mean the character that Sungwon Cho also voices? Yeah, you're kind of boosting the argument for dubs there, buddy.:smugbert:
no, post the song

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

All these new posts and no new JoJo yet smh.

Sometimes I don’t feel like reading so I watch dubs idc, dubbed ippo, gundam, whatever else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't care how badly the horses are animated. i want sbr.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Truga posted:

no, post the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc8j6jyQPhE

Sinclair is a god.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah if anything he's a pretty cheerful guy who's gone from living in hell to living in a hell of his choice with a pretty good standard of living. All the moments where he's "unhinged" are either him being excited about coming up with a genius 2-braincell solution to a problem or getting pissed off about other people for looking down on his meager dreams and his Japanese VA captures those moods perfectly

Really, the cast of Chainsaw Man is a bunch of people who have been hollowed out on the inside or are on their way to getting hollowed out, with exceptions in Power and Kobeni, and delivering kind of understated performances is the exact right tone

Oh, Kobeni is absolutely getting more and more hollowed out with every passing minute.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

Sinclair is a god.
epic cringe

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Truga posted:

epic cringe

turn on your monitor and speakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don’t get the bit of insisting this obviously bad thing is actually very good.