Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lotta people do love G & L, I'm just full up on basses at the moment. Also feeling increasingly weird for preferring the full 34 inch scale over everything else, even regular guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Lotta people do love G & L, I'm just full up on basses at the moment. Also feeling increasingly weird for preferring the full 34 inch scale over everything else, even regular guitars.

If nothing else, if you like a maple neck, you should try one of these ones out. I've never had an instrument meld so immediately with me. In fact with some I've had an instant revulsion but this one is giving me the Goldilocks feeling

Solumin posted:

Hell yeah G&L bud :hfive: I adore the neck on mine, it's so nice to play, especially compared to how sticky the Squier Jazz neck is.

:hfive:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Any tips for dealing with blisters?
I went to the beach this weekend and the callous on my middle plucking finger pretty much fell off.

Had practice on Sunday night and now I have a decent blister, and a gig on Friday. My thoughts were to just give myself a superglue fingertip before the show. Or do I do a moleskin bandaid?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 24, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Any tips for dealing with blisters?
I went to the beach this weekend and the callous on my middle plucking finger pretty much fell off.

Had practice on Sunday night and now I have a decent blister, and a gig on Friday. My thoughts were to just give myself a superglue fingertip before the show. Or do I do a moleskin bandaid?

I mean this is prob toxic advice but I'd just power thru it. Hopefully get a badass callous as a result. I'm sure other ppl have more reasonable/less painful advice.

Anyway I've been playing with bass vi with my post punk trio after my earlier post mentioned I hadn't played it in months...and it's super fun! There's room enough in the band for me to do leads, and I'm trying to use my looper at the same time to play bass lines(lol we'll see how it goes).

There's definitely a volume issue, ie there's not as much presence as my other basses and not enough gain the leads. So I already bought my rear end a boost pedal for the latter and I'm hoping to crank up the amp for the former. Any other ideas are welcome. Looking to really push it (at least until I give up lol).

E: try using your other fingers! I've done that before, using my second and third instead.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

Shageletic posted:

There's definitely a volume issue, ie there's not as much presence as my other basses and not enough gain the leads. So I already bought my rear end a boost pedal for the latter and I'm hoping to crank up the amp for the former. Any other ideas are welcome. Looking to really push it (at least until I give up lol).

E: try using your other fingers! I've done that before, using my second and third instead.

Give a compressor a try, it may help getting those higher range notes a little more umph in the mix.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

For playing solo I would like to have an octave up and octave+5th up that I can route to a guitar amp with some distortion to act as typical drooling power-chord guitarist. I understand I can kind of achieve this with a HOG, albeit +oct and +5th instead of 5th ABOVE the octave- but it's a bloody expensive pedal. Is there anything else out there that can do what I'm after?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schwza posted:

Give a compressor a try, it may help getting those higher range notes a little more umph in the mix.

Already got a spectracomp on my chain thanks!

Southern Heel posted:

For playing solo I would like to have an octave up and octave+5th up that I can route to a guitar amp with some distortion to act as typical drooling power-chord guitarist. I understand I can kind of achieve this with a HOG, albeit +oct and +5th instead of 5th ABOVE the octave- but it's a bloody expensive pedal. Is there anything else out there that can do what I'm after?

I've been eyeing the Boss MO-2 Overtone pedal, but Jesus christ do I use alot of money on pedals. Gonna take my boutique harmonic discombulator and Dozer pedal off my chain bc they really haven't been useful to play In a live band setting, and they cost real money!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I splurged and put new strings on my three main basses in the past weeks. Even with brand new strings, the sunburst Greco bass sounds nowhere near as good as the Pbass or Geddy Jazz. The neck gets very woofy and lacks some of the definition the two Fenders provide.

Rather than rip out the 70s pickups to start, I was thinking about maybe dropping in a Darkglass Tone Capsule to EQ what those two pickups are putting out. Thoughts?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Can you get a decent tone by using an outboard EQ or what's on your amp? If not an onboard preamp is not going to work any miracles.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DrChu posted:

Can you get a decent tone by using an outboard EQ or what's on your amp? If not an onboard preamp is not going to work any miracles.

My goal was to get a somewhat interchangeable tone when compared to my other basses, so I didn’t want to have to muck with the amp when I switched basses.

I put the Markbass flat, tried my P-bass, and then put my Ampeg VT bass pedal flat when engaged and bypassed to sound the same. Plugged in the Greco and tried to get it somewhere in the neighbourhood of the P-bass. Some pushed mids, a hair of reduction on the lows, and I’m pretty close to content. With dual mids control I could probably get even closer plus have some more fun.

I never thought to pickup demo like this to see where an instrument was lacking by using a different preamp to boost/cut. :bang:

Many thanks. I’d rather not route more poo poo out of this bass after the neck swap fiasco.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 27, 2022

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Darkglass Tone Capsule is a fairly meh preamp - it can play nice with their drives for *that* sound but is pretty lackluster in other contexts.

IMO consider a similar Aguilar OBP unit, an Audere to spend slightly less than Aggy money and use absolutely tiny components (suuuuper nice for cramped cavities) or go ham like I did with something like an East preamp if you want to have a million adjustments and a powerful passive mode, which probably wouldn't be desired for this exact project based on your current lackluster opinion of the passive tone.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Sockington posted:

My goal was to get a somewhat interchangeable tone when compared to my other basses, so I didn’t want to have to muck with the amp when I switched basses.

I put the Markbass flat, tried my P-bass, and then put my Ampeg VT bass pedal flat when engaged and bypassed to sound the same. Plugged in the Greco and tried to get it somewhere in the neighbourhood of the P-bass. Some pushed mids, a hair of reduction on the lows, and I’m pretty close to content. With dual mids control I could probably get even closer plus have some more fun.

I never thought to pickup demo like this to see where an instrument was lacking by using a different preamp to boost/cut. :bang:

Many thanks. I’d rather not route more poo poo out of this bass after the neck swap fiasco.

If you like the tone of the VT Bass and your main concern is balancing the levels between basses, maybe consider upgrading to the VT Deluxe? Then you could have a setting saved for each bass.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm looking to put strap locks on my ibanez bass but the buttons are extra large looking so I can't find any sort of like 'straplocks for Ibanez bass' that look like they'll fit without replacing the buttons completely.

Does something like this exist, or am I stuck replacing them. I've got no attachment to them, but removing the buttons and adding something else with potentially a different pitched screw, or a wider screw, sort of spooks me on such an expensive instrument.

For my guitar, I just bought a strap lock that worked with fender buttons and it fit over and locked without issue. This is what I'm trying to replicate.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
For an Ibanez, probably not. You're definitely gonna have to replace the screws unless you want to use like, rubber grommets from grolsch beers. Ibanez strap buttons are pretty unique compared to a lot of other bigger brands in that way that there's no slip-on lock.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DrChu posted:

If you like the tone of the VT Bass and your main concern is balancing the levels between basses, maybe consider upgrading to the VT Deluxe? Then you could have a setting saved for each bass.

Not a terrible idea really. I guess there’s a little bit of science experiment fun since I don’t have any active basses in the stable and this one is pretty lacklustre as things stand. If I was still playing live, this would be the most rock solid answer.

I have a P-Bass, a Jazz, this weird humbucker* thing in this (*very well could be singles underneath).

This bass produces the least usable tone out of any of them - the bridge pickup is kinda nasal and honky, and the neck just gets woofy on its own. Maybe a pickup blend knob outside the Darkglass circuit to get a better blend. I’ve got some time to think and tinker.

I looked at the Aguilar OBP-3 as an alternative since Science Guy suggested it. I dig that Matt Freeman sort of sound, so a huge thumping low end presence isn’t really the direction I need. It’s also not a bad thing to have on tap.

In other weird bass stuff, I finally got off my rear end and emailed the vintage Hagstrom museum in Sweden and got the tuner bushing I’ve been waiting four years to get.

Also tracked down some medium scale strings locally so I could string it up. The short scale strings unwound before crossing the nut.

That bridge is kinda meh, but it’s a 1968 Hagstrom and one of 2200 made of these specs - otherwise I’d be looking at the Hipshot Rickenbacker bridge to plop over that. The bar that the saddles ride on slides forward and back and is held only by string tension. Not really a super awesome intonation setup there.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

muike posted:

For an Ibanez, probably not. You're definitely gonna have to replace the screws unless you want to use like, rubber grommets from grolsch beers. Ibanez strap buttons are pretty unique compared to a lot of other bigger brands in that way that there's no slip-on lock.

Thanks for that, I ended up at that conclusion but didn't want to cast the idea aside without asking for a second set of eyes on it. Bummer :(

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Sockington posted:

I have a P-Bass, a Jazz, this weird humbucker* thing in this (*very well could be singles underneath).
I have a similarly aged Ibanez SG bass copy with a bridge pickup that looks like those, its a single coil underneath.

Another thing to check is the pots, the way you're describing the sound is like the tone control being set low on a normal bass, maybe they used the wrong pot values. Probably won't help with the overall volume difference though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Seems that a Pitchfork can do the PS-6 thing without worrying about what key you're in - but looks like the HOG2 can do octave+oct-5th so clearly I'm just bad at reading.

The fact it has envelope and can do the various effects as well as octaves is making me seriously think it's a great shot. I've decided to get rid of my guitar amp and focus on bass for a while.

I really wish I was 'better' but I can't really quantify how - I'm terrible at transitioning from playing by music/tab, to playing by memory - is there a method anyone can recommend?

I'm quite happy with making up root-fifth basslines and a bit of walking bass, but I feel like there's such a gulf between that and then watching virtuouso players who are using slapping, ghost notes, and really creating a proper GROOVE, rather than just a bass-line. does that make sense? I'm not sure really what I should be looking for in order to progress!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Does anyone know where I can find some short-shaft 500k potentiometers with a M6 thread?

I'm trying to put some new pots in my '73 Epiphone EA-260, and it seems like all metric pots have M8 threads :\

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DrChu posted:

I have a similarly aged Ibanez SG bass copy with a bridge pickup that looks like those, its a single coil underneath.

Another thing to check is the pots, the way you're describing the sound is like the tone control being set low on a normal bass, maybe they used the wrong pot values. Probably won't help with the overall volume difference though.

Everything under the control plate is new 250k pots and wired up like a Jazz bass. I looked at the Aguilar OBP-2 and OBP-3 heavily over the past few days, but I was on the fence about the two mids on DG vs mids & highs in the Aguilar. When I was playing with the VT bass preamp, I wasn’t playing with the treble to get where I needed. I play bass like a rhythm guitar with a soft pick - not exactly a style connoisseur here.

I ended up ordering the Darkglass for the novelty and I play a little dirty anyways. There’s a B3K on the pedal board that gets some blended use so it won’t be without a companion. We’ll see how it all works out as I’m just trying to have something a little more usable and different in the stable of basses.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just saw Marcus Millar jam with a bunch of people in NYC to celebrate Bernard Wright and I'm still reeling.

What a marvelous thing to watch. His technique is so next level its barely comprehensible.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
any strings to avoid and/or check out? I got a 5 recently and need to replace them... I use rounds on this bass and play anything from pop to jazz

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

the tingler posted:

any strings to avoid and/or check out? I got a 5 recently and need to replace them... I use rounds on this bass and play anything from pop to jazz

I can say after about 3 weeks and 7 shows, I'm NOT a fan of DR Black Beauties.

My go-to are DR Nickel Lo-Riders. I like the higher tension of the hex-core, especially for a 5 string. The nickel is a bit warmer than the stainless too.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Nice, thanks! Been seeing those mentioned a lot on TB

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Ernie Ball Slinkeys come in a variety of gauges and are a great budget option. They don't last super-long, but in my experience, roundwounds usually don't if they're not coated.

I'm a big fan of D'Addario strings myself. I like nickel wound strings; they're good for most genres, last a good long while, and are less hurty on my plucking fingers than steel strings with no coating or plating.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
NYXLs and RotoSounds are my personal go to strings. Both age into a nice solid thump after a few months without getting dead sounding, and they sound amazing fresh. Far from the cheapest things out there, though. Standard D'Addario's are honestly pretty great and come in a ton of thicknesses and styles to really play around with.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Ernie Balls have inconsistent QC and poor lifespan in my experience, if I want something relatively inexpensive for rounds I'll go D'addy XL or GHS Bassics.

D'addario has this weird mid scoopy thing across their whole lineup that I'm not a big fan of, but NYXL have really good feel and XT strings have exceptional lifespan, so both get used on occasion.

My current go-to for a studio date are MTD nickel rounds - they sound absolutely incredible and consistent for about two weeks then they fall off a cliff. For general use, I love DR Sunbeams and want to try Pure Blues over the winter after I kill my current stock of strings.

For non-roundwounds, La Bella tapewounds (white or gold are my preference, blacks have less sustain) make me swoon. Absolutely love them in a setting where flats would often get used. They're a very different feel with the ultra low tension, but once you acclimate and if you have the plucking control to work with the low tension, they're so fun. They are my absolute first choice for fretless, and for instruments that don't get used too often but I want to have good sounding strings available. Tapes have 3-5 year lifespan for me, they mellow a bit over a few weeks then they're absolutely stable for a very long time.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Is there a good place online to learn about what each note type sounds like when played together? I'm using a free trial of Scott's Bass Lessons and every video has an example of a lick and they go WAYYY too fast for me to follow along and they don't seem to have a lesson on most of the actual sheet music.

Here is the example I'm stuck with. It sounds like she plays two notes when she does the first triplet and I don't understand why.

edit: I realize this isn't the theory thread but what is the little flag looking thing after the triplet?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 6, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Youtube speed options are your friend. Just Google a song you'd like to learn that has bass tabs and go to .25 speed

E: I'd have to play it myself but that's probably overtones and the last note fuzzing to a stop.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No triplets in there. The "little flags" are rests.

The first two beats of both those measures can be counted the same

One (e and) ah, Two (e and) ah.

You play C on One, hold it for e-and, then rearticulate it on the ah.

Then you rest for the Two-e-and then play C again.

Clap through just the rhythm,

Clap (e and) Clap
Clap (e and) Clap
Clap (e and) Clap
Clap (e and) Clap

It's a pretty standard shuffle that feels weird because you aren't playing a note on 2. You can get the feel for it by Just playing it like you clapped it, then slowing it down and leaving that note out. The second half of the measure is simpler, just "Three and Four-e" then hold for the next measure.

So the whole measure could be counted

One-(e and) a Rest (e and) a Three-and Four-e

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

a pale ghost posted:

Is there a good place online to learn about what each note type sounds like when played together? I'm using a free trial of Scott's Bass Lessons and every video has an example of a lick and they go WAYYY too fast for me to follow along and they don't seem to have a lesson on most of the actual sheet music.

Here is the example I'm stuck with. It sounds like she plays two notes when she does the first triplet and I don't understand why.

edit: I realize this isn't the theory thread but what is the little flag looking thing after the triplet?

I just got a bass after not playing for 20 years and I signed up for the bassbuzz.com beginner course. I am halfway through and I am finding it pretty good at reminding me about all the rudimentary things I’ve forgotten.
The instructor Josh explains every note and rhythm for each lesson and teaches you how to count time if you aren’t familiar with it. He also teaches how to read music during the course.

Each lesson has a bass line associated with it, and there are never any surprises since Josh explains them in depth before hand.

I find the lessons pretty fun, even when they are covering topics I’m already familiar with.

If you want to check it out, he has a bunch of free videos on YouTube under the bassbuzz name so you can see if you can get along with his personality and teaching style.

Also I think you are referring to the eighth note rest when you ask about the little flag. You should mute your bass strings during it.

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 6, 2022

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Another vote for bassbuzz.com

I had a sub to SBL too, but I found it offered too many things, if that makes sense.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

If you want to check it out, he has a bunch of free videos on YouTube under the bassbuzz name so you can see if you can get along with his personality and teaching style.
His videos seem a little more gimmicky on YouTube too, so there's no "newb Josh" in the course videos and they're a little calmer (at least that I've seen so far, I should get back to them). Can't really blame him, that's what happens with YouTube.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Yeah I forgot about Newb Josh. His lessons are way calmer. But he still throws in a bunch of dad jokes now and then.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
There must be some correlation between the skill of a music teacher and the quality of the dad jokes. Anyways yes, I too have the bass buzz course and ought to get off my rear end and finish it, he has a good way of introducing concepts and building on the previous knowledge taught.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

odiv posted:

His videos seem a little more gimmicky on YouTube too, so there's no "newb Josh" in the course videos and they're a little calmer (at least that I've seen so far, I should get back to them). Can't really blame him, that's what happens with YouTube.

Agreed, I found the lesson videos a lot less grating than his normal YouTube content.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol I've talked myself to read music a dozen times it never sticks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Lol I've talked myself to read music a dozen times it never sticks.

I was in band for like 10 years but I played a treble-clef instrument, so rhythms are easy but all the notes are in the wrong place on bass. A couple years on and off and I still catch myself having to go really slow and "translate" from treble sometimes.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
My attempts to figure out bass clef only unlocked my memories of treble clef. I see a note in the middle of the staff and automatically go "B!" I think in bass clef it might be an E? I don't loving know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The bass buzz guy's channel under his real name, Joss Fossgreen, is much more subdued. Probably most of his course comes from that, though I haven't bothered to try it out.

I feel you on the bass/treble clef mix-ups. I started out playing piano but I've spent most of the last 10 years only playing treble clef instruments and it's so easy to forget. Especially Leger lines above the bass clef. :argh: