Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the book a lot less family friendly and a lot more horror/monster attack book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

xcore posted:

Is the book a lot less family friendly and a lot more horror/monster attack book?
There's more graphic violence but I wouldn't call it horror. Most of the action scenes that didn't make it into the first film were fit into the sequels (especially the third one). The real horror in the book is how it constantly stops dead in its tracks so a character can hamfistedly dump pages of exposition in your face :frog:. I read that book a billion times when I was little, but man Crichton was not a good writer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

david_a posted:

but man Crichton was not a good writer.

You can gently caress right off with this poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

You can gently caress right off with this poo poo.

He's not. He's also a climate change denier and is anti-environmentalism.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snak posted:

Ha! State of Fear was his last book I read and I distinctively remember thinking "what the gently caress?"

That said, some of his earlier stuff was really good and fun and had some enjoyable exposition. I'm talking Airframe back to Eaters of the Dead. Timeline was fun (and, like almost all Crichton works, produced an abominable movie) but after that poo poo went south.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

Was. He suffered from a slight case of death almost a decade ago.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Snak posted:

What does that have 2 do with writing quality?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

What does that have 2 do with writing quality?

It's doesn't have anything to do with it. I'm saying he was a bad writer, and additionally asserting that he was a bad person.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He was a pretty good writer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He had definitely fallen off in later years. Like how Timeline doesn't really make a lot of sense because he says that it isn't time travel but then the plot only makes sense if it is.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

He had definitely fallen off in later years. Like how Timeline doesn't really make a lot of sense because he says that it isn't time travel but then the plot only makes sense if it is.

That's just the literary equivalent of having a guy in a lab coat come in to explain that these vampires are totally different and then it turns out they're basically identical.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem was it was completely inconsistent. They point out early in the book that they don't actually travel through time, they go to other parallel universes where it is that year. The whole driving plot of the book is an archeology class having to save their professor and they find out that he's in the past because they find a note from in buried at their dig site. Except, again, this isn't time travel so they can't actually save that professor since all the stuff with that parallel universe version is over and done with because it happened hundreds of years ago. The rest of the book continues with this conflating the stated premise and time travel culminating in a stupid ending where one of the characters stays behind and the rest afterwards go find "his" tomb.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The problem was it was completely inconsistent. They point out early in the book that they don't actually travel through time, they go to other parallel universes where it is that year. The whole driving plot of the book is an archeology class having to save their professor and they find out that he's in the past because they find a note from in buried at their dig site. Except, again, this isn't time travel so they can't actually save that professor since all the stuff with that parallel universe version is over and done with because it happened hundreds of years ago. The rest of the book continues with this conflating the stated premise and time travel culminating in a stupid ending where one of the characters stays behind and the rest afterwards go find "his" tomb.

Crichton is dead and there's no point beating up his corpse for his love of nonsensical technobabble.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The main thing I remember about Timeline is that it's beat for beat the same story as The Lost World. It was probably written from the same outline.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

All the evidence they find in the modern day from the past (from the professor and that dude who loved to recreate historical fighting who stayed behind) are people from another parallel universe (that is centuries in advance of ours) having left that stuff behind when they did the events of the story centuries ago. The people from that parallel universe did all that stuff because there was yet another parallel universe centuries in advance of them that did all that stuff even more centuries ago, and on and on. So nobody ever got to read notes or records about their specific version of the professor or that other dude, but they're still an accurate indication of what happened to them by the logic of how the parallel universes work.

Instead of a stable time loop, it's a stable time spiral stretching out across parallel universes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Instead of belaboring later Crichton, let's talk about how goofy and dumb both Congo and Sphere's onscreen variations ended up being. One author gave us two movies, one with Dustin Hoffman and the other with Bruce Campbell. That's gotta be a sort of record on how far across the sliding actor scale you can go.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Kodiak posted:

All the evidence they find in the modern day from the past (from the professor and that dude who loved to recreate historical fighting who stayed behind) are people from another parallel universe (that is centuries in advance of ours) having left that stuff behind when they did the events of the story centuries ago. The people from that parallel universe did all that stuff because there was yet another parallel universe centuries in advance of them that did all that stuff even more centuries ago, and on and on. So nobody ever got to read notes or records about their specific version of the professor or that other dude, but they're still an accurate indication of what happened to them by the logic of how the parallel universes work.

Instead of a stable time loop, it's a stable time spiral stretching out across parallel universes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Everblight posted:

Instead of belaboring later Crichton, let's talk about how goofy and dumb both Congo and Sphere's onscreen variations ended up being. One author gave us two movies, one with Dustin Hoffman and the other with Bruce Campbell. That's gotta be a sort of record on how far across the sliding actor scale you can go.

I'm pretty sure there are worse actors in Crichton films than Bruce Campbell.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Even when Crichton was "good" his habit of awkwardly plopping a middling high school essay about electron microscopes or DNA or whatever in the middle of a chapter was really awkward. It's just funnier in retrospect knowing how bad at science he actually was.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Those random lectures in the middle of chapters was my favorite part as a kid. A rad book about dinosaurs eating people AND I get to learn about evolution and natural selection? Helll yeah.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I guess Crichton was channeling Herman Melville. Or Victor Hugo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Those random lectures in the middle of chapters was my favorite part as a kid. A rad book about dinosaurs eating people AND I get to learn about evolution and natural selection? Helll yeah.

You should probably read Neal Stephenson then. He's not for everyone, but he does an insane amount of research for his books, and you can tell because when he learns something cool while he's researching a book, he's gonna work in a few pages about it somehow.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I know a lot of movies used to start with little musical pieces (I don't know what you'd call them), but has there been an example of another feature that begins with a fairly lengthy piece over a black screen like 2001? I'm surprised that it hasn't been ripped off a million times by now, or maybe my memory is just bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I know a lot of movies used to start with little musical pieces (I don't know what you'd call them), but has there been an example of another feature that begins with a fairly lengthy piece over a black screen like 2001? I'm surprised that it hasn't been ripped off a million times by now, or maybe my memory is just bad.

Like an overture? The theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven has one, off the top of my head.

It's less that it hasn't "been ripped off" and more that modern audiences are impatient and don't care for them. They were extremely common in theatre and early film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
An overture, that's the word, thank you. I suppose I meant post '68.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were actually a fair amount of high-profile movies that apparently had them in theaters but cut them for home video, so it's like they never happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_overtures

I'm pretty sure they're wrong about the star wars prequels, though. I saw the first two in theaters and have no memory of an overture.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't recall any before any Star Wars movie, but I can't believe I forgot about Hateful Eight.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

An overture, that's the word, thank you. I suppose I meant post '68.

Yeah I get what you were saying, but I think it's not something that people would "rip off" despite the critical acclaim of 2001, because films with overtures were a dying breed then. I think that Tree of Life might have had one.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snak posted:

You should probably read Neal Stephenson then. He's not for everyone, but he does an insane amount of research for his books, and you can tell because when he learns something cool while he's researching a book, he's gonna work in a few pages about it somehow.

Was Crichton's science universally bad? I always loved how large his bibliographies were as a kid and felt like he did more research than most for his books.

I mean after State of Fear I definitely felt a tinge of "uh oh" but has there been any good essays or anything that examine the science across his body of works?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Was Crichton's science universally bad? I always loved how large his bibliographies were as a kid and felt like he did more research than most for his books.

I mean after State of Fear I definitely felt a tinge of "uh oh" but has there been any good essays or anything that examine the science across his body of works?

I don't know, I didn't read any Crichton besides Jurassic Park/The Lost World and The Andromeda Strain. I didn't get the impression the science was horribly bad.

I'm pretty sure his climate change denial was about his politics being disgusting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't recall any before any Star Wars movie, but I can't believe I forgot about Hateful Eight.

I'll call bullshit on Jurassic Park as well. One may have been composed, but I saw that like three times in theaters as a kid and would have found it boring enough to remember.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Overtures were a thing for big epic "A" level movies that would open in limited roadshows, and it kinda served the purpose it does in a musical play or opera, basically letting everyone know the show's about to start but giving you time to find your seat. (Hence Hateful Eight doing it in its roadshow release.)

Before that the last example I can think of is Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 1979.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

I'll call bullshit on Jurassic Park as well. One may have been composed, but I saw that like three times in theaters as a kid and would have found it boring enough to remember.

It's strange that the "overtures" listed on the star wars films are just other pieces of music from the films. That basically never happens. And overture is usually called "Overture" or has a unique title.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

I mean I haven't done any critical analyses or whatever but most of the time it's very pop-sci stuff with a bit more jargon. Like the book with killer nanobot swarms that can replicate people's faces, or the physicsish babble in Timeline, or his plain misunderstanding of chaos theory for Jurassic Park.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The overture on Star Trek: The Motion Picture was added for the director's cut on DVD. It was never shown in theaters, perhaps outside of some early 70mm prints.

Often 70mm presentations had stuff added, but a lot of this is from laserdisc editions having overtures, intermissions, and exit music added that never existed on actual prints.

It's also worth noting that almost all overtures were simply black leader with sound. Only a few films actually had a visual like West Side Story or My Fair Lady. A lot of DVD and Blu-Rays have faux visuals added, but a lot have the genuine intermission card like Doctor Zhivago, Ben-Hur, and 2001: A Space Odyssey. 2001 has always had just blank visuals for the overture at least since the early 90s. The pre-widescreen tapes were edited to remove the overture, intermission, and exit music (as well as featuring a poorly done video-generated main title).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If you ever get a chance to see 2001 in a theater, it's worth it just to hear the overture cranking out of the biggest speakers possible

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Alternatively just drop some acid and watch 2001 in a dark room with some good headphones on and crank the volume up to where it drives out rational thought. Watch only the beginning and end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

The overture on Star Trek: The Motion Picture was added for the director's cut on DVD. It was never shown in theaters, perhaps outside of some early 70mm prints.

I'm not sure about this since it's on the BR which is specifically the theatrical cut without any of the Director's Cut re-edits.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm not sure about this since it's on the BR which is specifically the theatrical cut without any of the Director's Cut re-edits.

As released in 1979, The Motion Picture had the overture. It played over an empty screen. In the Director's Edition, they added the starfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i still remember when they invented stars.