Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Guess it was inevitable that a stereotypical "CalArts!" :argh: person would come around eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Thundercats isn't in-house.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Thanks CALARTS for bringing us really bland looking cartoons like Steven Universe, Gumball and Teen Titans Go

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Thanks CALARTS for bringing us really bland looking cartoons like Steven Universe, Gumball and Teen Titans Go

TTG looks more like the "Flash Animation" design that was used as a criticism for shows like Johnny Test and Total Drama Island

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

TTG looks more like the "Flash Animation" design that was used as a criticism for shows like Johnny Test and Total Drama Island

It looks good tho

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Xelkelvos posted:

of course TTG isn't a good show in general, but one positive from that is the design of the characters stood out. you can tell this character is supposed to be Robin, that character is supposed to be Raven, this character is Cyborg, etc. If you give a cartoon character a silhouette and you can still tell who they are just from that, then that character is correctly designed.

you could argue that total drama island has good stylised characters, even if they look flat.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That’s mostly cuz they’re derivative of existing designs that put that as a priority though.

The new characters that TTG introduced aren’t nearly as distinct. Rose Wilson is really just Terra with messy hair. I’ve found most of TTG’s art design that they didn’t really take from the old show to be rather sterile.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was watching old rear end DC Nation stuff and totally forgot that was responsible for TTG.

The designs for that were way worse, btw.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Nodosaur posted:

That’s mostly cuz they’re derivative of existing designs that put that as a priority though.

The new characters that TTG introduced aren’t nearly as distinct. Rose Wilson is really just Terra with messy hair. I’ve found most of TTG’s art design that they didn’t really take from the old show to be rather sterile.

then again, they were made by the people who didn't even care about the original show. hell they acknowledged one episode that the original was better than TTG which I guess was out of spite to those fans.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr Interweb posted:

DW I can understand (though that one poster a few pages ago said it wasn't). But Quackerjack? Michael Bell is still alive? I haven't seen him do anything in decades. :monocle:

Yeah I just went and confirmed it. Micheal Bell did reprise Quackerjack.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Junior Jr. posted:

then again, they were made by the people who didn't even care about the original show. hell they acknowledged one episode that the original was better than TTG which I guess was out of spite to those fans.

Oh, you're one of those people.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

TTG is great that’s why it’s getting a movie and not the old dead original show :colbert:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Macaluso posted:

TTG is great that’s why it’s getting a movie and not the old dead original show :colbert:

never really cared about teen titans in general, here's to hoping the movie might be slightly better than whatever the hell justice league was supposed to be.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Painbot and Birderang are real distinct though.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Junior Jr. posted:

What's the deal with CN incorporating more cartoons with this bean face design?

It's simple, aesthetically pleasing, and easy to animate. Hope that helps!

Also that's just kind of the way you simplify kid's faces if you're going for something super cartoony. Hell, Japan's been doing it for decades.

Macaluso posted:

It looks good tho

It looks... better than Johnny Test.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rudoku posted:

Oh, you're one of those people.

i don't think you have to be one of "those people" to notice that TTG is really actively and weirdly antagonistic towards anyone who liked the old show. it's pretty obvious where this came from to us (they're aware of Mr. Enter and are trolling him for laughs), but i can see it being sort of a bad look if you're not Extremely Online and just remember the old show being pretty decent.

e: also, as if I needed extra reasons to want to break John K's fingers so badly that he can never touch a keyboard again; the fact that you literally can't gripe about an aesthetically displeasing style without everyone assuming your problem is gay people would be a good one

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
CN has some weird decisions sometimes, the teen titans and ben 10 reboots were understandable because those cartoons had previous shows that were successful and popular, hell I didn't even like ben 10 when it first showed up and somehow that was successful enough to get one or two spinoffs. Also the ppg reboot, as much as I didn't like it compared to the original, I understand why it was made for marketing and merchandising reasons, it IS the most popular show on CN so it has bragging rights.

One decision I don't get is why re-reboot thundercats of all shows? I'm already aware that the 2011 reboot happened and it wasn't getting much attention and popularity because of toy sales and time slots, also the third season was replaced for a lego chima cartoon. But the idea of re-rebooting is confusing because it wasn't popular enough the first time around, so apparently now it's going to get noticed? I guess it's doing that already but the question is whether it's going to work in their favour or backfire in the future.

I wonder if this is going to be a trend for years to come, kids networks just dig up any IPs they forgot, dust off the cobwebs and see if there's still some meat left in them. Nick have already done that with Invader Zim, Rocko, and Hey arnold. Maybe one day CN will get bored and just bring back captain planet for the hell of it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I can't actually recall any instances of TTG being hostile to the original show (in fact they reference it all the time), only of them being hostile to people who fetishize it and are angry about it being replaced on the internet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't actually recall any instances of TTG being hostile to the original show (in fact they reference it all the time), only of them being hostile to people who fetishize it and are angry about it being replaced on the internet.
There's a few times (a recent Control Freak episode, most prominently) where they REMEMBER WHO THEY ARE by watching the old TT cartoon and they're like "Hey we were pretty badass and like did stuff and wow we look really cool too!"

I guess that counts as taking the piss if you're already upset at TTG.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From the sound of the announcement, the new Thundercats comes from the creative team's passion for the original, which is damning in its own way, since it means they have terrible taste.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I finished the first season of Tangled and I'm interested to see where it goes from here. Apparently Jeremy Jordan is still in the cast so it'll be interesting to see where that character goes from here.

His song in Queen for a Day is still my favorite part of the season, honestly.

I'm also interested to see what they do with the idea introduced in the last scene.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna be honest I don't watch TTG a ton (I'm way more in the "watch it if it's on or someone says a particular episode is really funny" camp with non-serialized cartoons) but every time the original show's come up, there's been a really heavy undercurrent of "jesus it's been a decade let this poo poo go"

which, like I'm saying, looks more fair if you're familiar with the show's online following than if you're not (I am and I'm fine with it)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I occasionally watch TTG on Youtube. It always fails to make me laugh and is only vaguely entertaining, and I think it's only partially because I really liked the original show as a teen. I think it's genuinely bad.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna be honest I don't watch TTG a ton (I'm way more in the "watch it if it's on or someone says a particular episode is really funny" camp with non-serialized cartoons) but every time the original show's come up, there's been a really heavy undercurrent of "jesus it's been a decade let this poo poo go"

which, like I'm saying, looks more fair if you're familiar with the show's online following than if you're not (I am and I'm fine with it)

Whenever the show gets really meta and makes fun of itself (see, "Let's Get Serious," and how everyone acts like they should be an action show instead of the comedy show they are), I always thought it was just doing that as part of the parody schtick. Until they actually referenced the show's haters at the end of Island Adventures and that one brief mention at the end of the 200th episode, I never once thought it was directly antagonizing anyone. Unless you're looking for some of the cheaper jabs at the haters, like the squinting really hard to find the "TEEN TITANS NO!" screenshot in the Mas Y Menos episode. It's like the Disgaea games or something like Excel Saga being an actual parody and are extremely self-referential, but that's the point.

And you are giving someone like Mr. Enter WAY too much credit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The show is ridiculously popular at this point and they've more or less beaten the haters of it. And yet even the new movie is about how no one likes the Titans or accepts them for who they are.

At some point you'd think they'd let it go but they keep going back to "THE NERDS DON'T LIKE US" well even after doing multiple episodes about it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

paradoxGentleman posted:

I occasionally watch TTG on Youtube. It always fails to make me laugh and is only vaguely entertaining, and I think it's only partially because I really liked the original show as a teen. I think it's genuinely bad.

Same, not a fan visually, humor doesn't do it for me, overplayed a hilarious amount, just a great big ole meh.

Also Junior Jr is a disingenuous idiot not really worth bothering with, I assume they posted another baiting, giant stupid screed or something from the replies.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shitenshi posted:

Guess it was inevitable that a stereotypical "CalArts!" :argh: person would come around eventually.

Hey now, he just might be onto something. Look at all these totally identikit characters!

Heck, we have proof straight from the horse's mouth!
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/998446872720101376

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I loved TT as a teen but I also really like TTG, and trying to go back to watch old TT stuff I don't think it aged as well as I expected. I'd currently rather watch TTG than TT.

edit: Sans stands out a bit in the tweet just for being pixelated, but even if you smoothed out the lines it would be pretty obvious it's him.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey now, he just might be onto something. Look at all these totally identikit characters!

You're still wrong see, because clearly characters having mouths make them all look generic and uninspired. We clearly need to make them all into glorified 8-bit/16-bit sprites with no mouths whatsoever. Maybe when they get extremely emotional, include big detailed Yoshitaka Amano style character portraits that show up next to them as they speak their lines.

(just noticed that Hirsch CalArts parody's hair was taken from Dexter's Lab too)

Nodosaur posted:

The show is ridiculously popular at this point and they've more or less beaten the haters of it. And yet even the new movie is about how no one likes the Titans or accepts them for who they are.

At some point you'd think they'd let it go but they keep going back to "THE NERDS DON'T LIKE US" well even after doing multiple episodes about it.

I still see it as the show being self-referential as it's status as a comedy show with super-deformed character designs and all as opposed to a "realistic" action show. Even when everyone saying the show was making fun of the haters in, "Let's Get Serious," I took it as genuinely making fun of itself.

I mean, I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive either, because some of those people are annoying, and the writers back hard in, "The Return of Slade." Which I'm surprised that the haters legitimately thought Slade was going to come back in that episode given the show's incredibly nonchalant manner and the title which you should figure out immediately is going to be anything but. But when they're not actually mentioning the haters or being extremely meta to the point they include ripping on the old show (see, "Squash and Stretch."), I tend to give the show the benefit of the doubt whenever it digs on itself.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Let's Get Serious" is far from the only example of this. I mean, the movie's first trailer ends with Slade, the villain of the movie, going on a diatribe about what the Titans will use against him, which turns out to be a laundry list of things people have found annoying about this portrayal of the characters.

The issue with "Return of Slade" for me isn't the fact that Slade doesn't show up, it's that it falls back on yet another "why don't you like the show" plot. Like. We get it. This is your third episode about it. Get a new joke.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I just watched that trailer and the end of it just seems like the show making fun of its comedic nature and how it obviously doesn't stand well compared to grimdark action comic shows. It's not the first time either. Look at the Ninja Turtles parody episode.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Ninja Turtles episode was about how the Turtles, a bunch of characters who'd been around since the 80's, were totally ripping off their goofy teen heroes who totally love pizza thing.

And I don't understand how these other shows are "grimdark" now. Anything that takes itself moderately seriously and isn't 90 % humor gets that label nowadays and it's sucked out all meaning from what was already something pretty meaningless.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The episode still made fun of the Titans only getting into the superhero biz for the pizza and about their, "random wacky humor." That seems like the kind of meta parody that doesn't need to make fun of the haters.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
No, you see, self referential humor actually references ME and how I talk about the show online. Like how ATLA keeps mocking me personally for being who pointed out that Jet's death was vague.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

I just watched that trailer and the end of it just seems like the show making fun of its comedic nature and how it obviously doesn't stand well compared to grimdark action comic shows. It's not the first time either. Look at the Ninja Turtles parody episode.

What Ninja Turtles parody episode? From the 2012 series?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

paradoxGentleman posted:

This is where I am too, it feels like the the main reason people bat for it is because it annoys nerds on the internet who care too much about the original, but I never cared for the original and as a comedy show TTG is pretty bland and tends to come off poorly when compared against something like Gumball and OK:KO.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The silhouetting in cartoon design is honestly way better now than it was a decade+ ago.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThermoPhysical posted:

Teen Titans Go has an episode where they come across a team of sewer-dwelling teen turtles who are ABSOLUTELY 100% NOT TMNT and they get pissed off that the turtles have stolen the Titans gimmicks of fighting crime, eating pizza, and being goofy.

The joke, of course, is that TTG stole those things from TMNT. So really it’s an intentional self-own. It’s arguably one of their worst/dumbest episodes.

As for TTG’s relationship with the original show and its fans, there’s a lot of pokes and references. My favorite is the gag dub episode. Yeah, that’s right, TTG did a Teen Titans: Abridged episode. Let that sink in a second. The people making a sequel series with the same voice actors did an “official” gag dub.

It’s legitimately hilarious and, of course, goes out of it way to point out how silly/flawed the original show was. They highlight the anime appropriation, mock the generally mediocre animation (in one scene they pretend a poorly drawn shadow on Cyborg’s upper lip is a mustache) and make plot points out of ridiculous things like how their capes/hair are constantly moving even without a source of wind, and how a lot of the drama on the original show was completely contrived. And then the episode ends with the TTG characters on the couch all fawning over the original show. It’s one of the funniest things they’ve done.

”I’m holding... an orange!”

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 5, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know what 2012 series you're talking about. I'm talking about an episode from TTG where the Titans literally beat the crap out of a bunch of parodies of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

e:f;b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

lelandjs posted:

Teen Titans Go has an episode where they come across a team of sewer-dwelling teen turtles who are ABSOLUTELY 100% NOT TMNT and they get pissed off that the turtles have stolen the Titans gimmicks of fighting crime, eating pizza, and being goofy.

The joke, of course, is that TTG stole those things from TMNT. So really it’s an intentional self-own. It’s arguably one of their worst/dumbest episodes.

As for TTG’s relationship with the original show and its fans, there’s a lot of pokes and references. My favorite is the gag dub episode. Yeah, that’s right, TTG did a Teen Titans: Abridged episode. Let that sink in a second. The people making a sequel series with the same voice actors did an “official” gag dub.

It’s legitimately hilarious and, of course, goes out of it way to point out how silly/flawed the original show was. They highlight the anime appropriation, mock the generally mediocre animation (in one scene they pretend a poorly drawn shadow on Cyborg’s upper lip is a mustache) and make plot points out of ridiculous things like how their capes/hair are constantly moving even without a source of wind, and how a lot of the drama on the original show was completely contrived. And then the episode ends with the TTG characters on the couch all fawning over the original show. It’s one of the funniest things they’ve done.

”I’m holding... an orange!”

Still haven't seen that episode, which,according to some of my friends, is the one good episode of TTG. What was it called,again?