Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Colossus was always my favorite of the X-Men and was primarily the reason I tried out taking Russian as my language elective in 7th grade and continued for another three years. And with the impending takeover that's going to give me a heads up for when real Secret Empire gets in place.

I look forward to being in a gulag cell with Nick Spencer as he explains to me what we lefties did wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You guys give up too easy.

WOLVERINES!

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Colossus was always my favorite of the X-Men and was primarily the reason I tried out taking Russian as my language elective in 7th grade and continued for another three years. And with the impending takeover that's going to give me a heads up for when real Secret Empire gets in place.

Поздравляю, товарищ. Вы хорошо справились.

Pro tip for comics readers: remember when Colossus would call everyone "tovarisch"? That's the romanization (don't know a better word for that - representing Cyrillic characters with roman characters) of "comrade" in Russian.

Lurdiak posted:

I look forward to being in a gulag cell with Nick Spencer as he explains to me what we lefties did wrong.

And you can punch him all day and all night, then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is Nick Spencer a nazi? Can we expect him to get punched at cons this summer?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WickedHate posted:

You guys give up too easy.

WOLVERINES!

Well, since you asked...

Secret Wars: Battleworld #3

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, since you asked...

Secret Wars Too

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

He's against punching Nazis, though he's not one himself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Probably not a nazi but it's funny-tragic that the writer for Captain America isnt down with nazi punching.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

wyntyr posted:

Поздравляю, товарищ. Вы хорошо справились.

I'm going to have to brush up, though I did know all of that except the last word. The thing I like most about Russian are the easy conjugation rules. The thing I don't like are the hard and soft signs always screwed me up when spelling stuff.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Probably not a nazi but it's funny-tragic that the writer for Captain America isnt down with nazi punching.

Funny enough, outside of wartime propaganda comics Captain America never has been either. I mean, he'll punch a bad guy if it comes to that but is all about free speech even for lowlifes he vehemently disagrees with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Captain America is the definition of a well meaning idiot.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cap's all down for punching Nazis but like, nazi soldiers, in wartimes, not really assholes on the street. Cap would probably be against people just punching other people at whim.

I haven't read Cap in a while though, and new cap is or was briefly a nazi himself so who knows what the deal is now

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 15, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Haha like I said well meaning idiot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
haha is he telling a loving a jewish guy not to be a dick to nazis because that makes him as bad as the nazis? :allears:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol yeah it's one thing to say "hey don't just attack people" but it's another to tell a jewish guy to his face that he's being as bad as the neo nazi

I think it's supposed to be more like "by escalating the confontation to violence, you're making the nazi look like the victim/sympathetic, so maybe don't hit them seeing as that's playing into their hands"

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 15, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wasn't that from Gruenwald's run?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Nazis should be encouraged to publicly state their beliefs without fear of violence, just so we can know who they are and avoid them.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Alternatively, we should punch all Nazi's in the face forever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, what we should do is post funny panels.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sam Wilson spent the last 17 issues punching Nazis and affiliated ilk. It's just #17 that was iffy when Spencer tried to balance all the Nazi punching with some ill-considered commentary on "college PC culture" - but in the end the Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly stand-ins were still the butt of the overall book. And after the really sweet Captain America: Sam Wilson #15 (Christmas issue) I'm willing to forgive him a few missteps.

Even Steve Rogers spends his time punching Nazis and affiliated ilk in his cover as upstanding super hero. Sometimes even when he is in Hydra mode to further his goals.

Edit: Funny panels...

Kiron Gillen's fantastic Uncanny X-Men. A simpler time...

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 15, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That panel's even funnier now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Did Danger ever actually do anything supervillianish other than "fight the X-Men"? Cuz that was pretty dang justified.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, since you asked...

"DSARM" is perfect.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lobok posted:

"DSARM" is perfect.

That must be the Wolverine from the DC universe.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Decius posted:

Sam Wilson spent the last 17 issues punching Nazis and affiliated ilk. It's just #17 that was iffy when Spencer tried to balance all the Nazi punching with some ill-considered commentary on "college PC culture" - but in the end the Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly stand-ins were still the butt of the overall book. And after the really sweet Captain America: Sam Wilson #15 (Christmas issue) I'm willing to forgive him a few missteps.

Even Steve Rogers spends his time punching Nazis and affiliated ilk in his cover as upstanding super hero. Sometimes even when he is in Hydra mode to further his goals.

Edit: Funny panels...

Kiron Gillen's fantastic Uncanny X-Men. A simpler time...

I'm assuming that's Rogue with the other hand up? I mean, there's no way it's Jean.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kwyndig posted:

I'm assuming that's Rogue with the other hand up? I mean, there's no way it's Jean.

It's Hope.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

As noted, it's Hope, but I have no idea how you'd get to "literally started as a super-villain" Rogue as an alternative.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah Rogue started out as a supervillain

E;fb drat you

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
She also doesn't have red hair.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm not that up on my X-men. Who the heck is Hope?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Some young mutant. Don't worry about it, they go through 20 of those every year. She's already been thrown in the warehouse with all the others.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kwyndig posted:

After Wanda did the "no more mutants" thing, there were no more mutants except for the ones that people liked. Hope was the first of the next generation of mutants and a savior or something, and she had powers to activate other mutants' powers and of course she had red hair. She was raised by Cable in the future, I think.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kwyndig posted:

The Mutant messiah from a few years and events ago. She was somewhat a replacement for Jean. Cable raised her in the future. She was the subject of the AvX-event, destined to get the Phoenix power. Now that Jean is back there is no need for another redhead unfortunately (I really liked Hope).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Decius posted:

The Mutant messiah from a few years and events ago. She was somewhat a replacement for Jean. Cable raised her in the future. She was the subject of the AvX-event, destined to get the Phoenix power. Now that Jean is back there is no need for another redhead unfortunately (I really liked Hope).

Is Jean actually back or just teenage 1960s Jean still?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Mutant Messiah, Cables adopted daughter, flavor of the month when AvX came out.
Her powers are being a host for the Phoenix force and copying powers of people she sees (I only remember her copying Scarlet Witch, Iron Fist, and one of the Purple Man's kids).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

She also doesn't have red hair.
It could be my monitor, but it's barely red in that picture, either, though.

Though if you don't know who Hope is, the hair color is pretty irrelevant.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

WickedHate posted:

There was another page gauging the strength of various Marvel heroes and Colossus was like "and I'm still a teenager! Just wait till I'm fully grown!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Modern Spider-man would probably get creamed by all the guys in that super-mediumweight category.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's certainly a...conservative estimate of Silver Surfer's power.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Black Bolt's speech bubble is the best part of that page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That's just a ranking of raw lifting capacity, right? Not actually a 'best at stuff' ranking.