Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Alexandra was a flop and Elektra took the main role too late in the season to really make it work.

I like Elektra, I like the actress who plays her, but what was up with Elektra at the end there? Her whole thing in S2 of DD was that she realized she wanted to be a good person and she died trying. She's never going to be a good guy, but all of her motivations in The Defenders made no sense. So she wants the magical substance. What for? Because she was afraid of death like Alexandra? Matt mentions it like it's an afterthought. She wants Matt safe just so she can kill him or die with him? Why? For the last few episodes I really thought they were going to reveal that she was remembering things wrong and thought he genuinely let her die and that's why she was going scorched earth on everything, but nope.

The Black Sky in DD was supposed to be The Hand's god, pretty much, but she ended up just being a prop.

It's just sloppy writing from beginning to end. To think I was so excited when they cast Sigourney Weaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The more people bring up the inconsistencies the more amazed I am at how much the scriptwriters didn't think this poo poo through. Like, no single season of television will be 100% consistent but jesus christ this is something else.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nerd fandom spends a lot of time bitching about how planned out the new Star Wars universe is.

The Defenders is what happens when no one coordinates with each other. As mentioned, the Hand is presented entirely different in each series. Its a shame too, because I thought the early entries did a good job building up this corner of Marvel's world.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

Nerd fandom spends a lot of time bitching about how planned out the new Star Wars universe is.

The Defenders is what happens when no one coordinates with each other. As mentioned, the Hand is presented entirely different in each series. Its a shame too, because I thought the early entries did a good job building up this corner of Marvel's world.

Who in the world is botvhong about hoe planned star wars is like I've never heard a single complaint even close to that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

socialsecurity posted:

Who in the world is botvhong about hoe planned star wars is like I've never heard a single complaint even close to that.

No on is Botvhonging.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

STAC Goat posted:

So I think a lot of it is really that Sigourney Weaver just felt wasted and didn't work.

Yeah, she's kind of an inexplicable choice for that character. She's a Jeri Hogarth type, if anything, I'd think. Like, if she played a sociopath business woman who ran IGH, not a part of this kung fu fantasy shadow cabal.

Basically, I want to see how she'd play Carter Burke from Aliens. Not this.

(I love Sigourney Weaver, if that's unclear. She's the best, merely wasted in this role as you said.)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
hey it's not a Netflix show, it's Amazon Prime, but if you like superhero TV you should check out The Tick

it is very good and fun

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The Netflix series needed a Kevin Feige producer figure to micromanage and unfortunately they have the guy behind literally the worst comic book series/event in that role.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xealot posted:

Yeah, she's kind of an inexplicable choice for that character. She's a Jeri Hogarth type, if anything, I'd think. Like, if she played a sociopath business woman who ran IGH, not a part of this kung fu fantasy shadow cabal.

Basically, I want to see how she'd play Carter Burke from Aliens. Not this.

(I love Sigourney Weaver, if that's unclear. She's the best, merely wasted in this role as you said.)

Yeah, I'm a fan of hers and I was really hyped for her role. And I had kind of bought into the Mephisto idea I read somewhere, even if I knew that was pretty silly and she was going to be a more logical Hand leader. But the trailers sold all her ominous lines and stares and then it turns out that's like 5% of her character and the rest is a sick, petty power broker too weak to hold her position. That character might have worked somewhere like in Iron First but it just really didn't feel weighty enough for Defenders.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Pellisworth posted:

hey it's not a Netflix show, it's Amazon Prime, but if you like superhero TV you should check out The Tick

it is very good and fun

Does it change much from the trailer? Apparently everyone in the whole world thought the trailer for the new tick was amazing but god drat did it rub me the wrong way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Does it change much from the trailer? Apparently everyone in the whole world thought the trailer for the new tick was amazing but god drat did it rub me the wrong way.

I didn't see the trailer, so I can't speak to that. It's not "wacky funny" like the Warburton series or the animated series. It's definitely got the feel and esthetic of the comic.

Also, I'm getting a real Dark Dimension Version of Adam West vibe from Serafinowicz's portrayal. There's something almost menacing about his enthusiasm. I like it a lot.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I watched the Tick pilot, but I'm not sure if I can watch a Tick show without Batmanuel :colbert:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

The Netflix series needed a Kevin Feige producer figure to micromanage and unfortunately they have the guy behind literally the worst comic book series/event in that role.
It's like they never watched Heroes and Smallville. I already shuddered when he was brought on board. Same thing when people hire JJA for directing - or Lindelof for screenplays.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally got around to JJ and a few episodes in am loving it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BiggerBoat posted:

Finally got around to JJ and a few episodes in am loving it.

It's really good, and I think part of the reason it was so successful is that it didn't feel like a normal superhero thing (unlike Daredevil S1 which was great but very traditional).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's really good, and I think part of the reason it was so successful is that it didn't feel like a normal superhero thing (unlike Daredevil S1 which was great but very traditional).

Also Killgrave was the best villain

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Autism Sneaks posted:

I watched the Tick pilot, but I'm not sure if I can watch a Tick show without Batmanuel :colbert:

I would like to see him also.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Autism Sneaks posted:

The Tick has to keep up with the times. RDJ Iron Man + Christian Bale Batman + the Punisher = overkill (or Overkill).

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This is a good way to put it, I wish I had been told that before I watched it. A lot of my complaints were about how Jessica really doesn't want to be a hero (now I understand why though). It really was a drat good show.

My only complaint at this point is the episode count drags down the pacing, and some of the excuses to pad that time get progressively dumber.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the biggest thing about JJ is that, despite Krysten Ritter's performance being often delightful, the show deals with themes and content that just aren't fun, and cant be fun. It's not happy, there aren't any easy answers in the end, the resolution is a bitter hollow one.

The show is drat good, but it is an uncomfortable sort of good.

Also some of the dialogue is just god damned bad.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

the biggest thing about JJ is that, despite Krysten Ritter's performance being often delightful, the show deals with themes and content that just aren't fun, and cant be fun. It's not happy, there aren't any easy answers in the end, the resolution is a bitter hollow one.

The show is drat good, but it is an uncomfortable sort of good.

Also some of the dialogue is just god damned bad.

Almost like...real life!!!

But yeah it's a show so maybe that's bad I dunno

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

If a tv show isn't an exact copy of everything that happens in real life then it's garbage tbh

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

It's not bad, but it's also not an easy watch.

JJ is the best of the Marvel Netflix shows, though I think Luke Cage is probably my favorite (yes, in spite of its many flaws).

Defenders is...yeah, I'm two episodes from the end and I really like the interactions between the various heroes but the Hand are completely ineffectively written, for all that everyone involved is trying their damnedest. (The problem with Sigourney Weaver's character is absolutely not Sigourney Weaver.)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like i do strongly like to watch things that "challenge" me once in awhile or do make me uncomfortable but yeah I can see why someone would be bothered if they got that when they were somehow? expecting lighthearted superheroics.

Man I'm really behind on these shows. I haven't seen Luke, IF, or Defenders yet. I'm assuming I should watch Luke, skip IF?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Man I'm really behind on these shows. I haven't seen Luke, IF, or Defenders yet. I'm assuming I should watch Luke, skip IF?

There are things to like in Iron Fist, it's just that the Iron Fist isn't one of them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

I feel like i do strongly like to watch things that "challenge" me once in awhile or do make me uncomfortable but yeah I can see why someone would be bothered if they got that when they were somehow? expecting lighthearted superheroics.

Yeah, some of the best television out there is of the challenging sort, but I've got to be in the right mood for it.

Luke Cage isn't perfect, but it's well worth watching. IF...I made it two episodes and I'll watch any old piece of poo poo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

IF is worth it if only for the Meachums.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm of the "Iron Fist isn't that bad" crowd and like half the bad guy setup for Defenders comes from it. So if you're going to watch the latter you should probably watch the former.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Samizdata posted:

IF is worth it if only for the Meachums.

Absolutely. The show has bloody David Wenham in for extended periods and all of his scenes are great.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The scene where the young Meachum walks in on his dad about to nonchalantly carve up a corpse is one my favorite scenes in Netflix Marvel.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I still say Ward was the only good Meachum, Joy did like two things early in the season then spent the rest looking incredulously at other people before they walked away to do whatever they wanted to do before talking to her in the first place.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Howard owns... I do not agree that Ward is better or a stand out. He is awesome in his spot though. That family make the show and then the hand come in and gently caress it up diamondback style.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

docbeard posted:

It's not bad, but it's also not an easy watch.

JJ is the best of the Marvel Netflix shows, though I think Luke Cage is probably my favorite (yes, in spite of its many flaws).

Have you seen the fight scenes in Daredevil? If not loving watch Daredevil.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Someone mentioned that the fight coordinator from Daredevil's first season peaced out and left. Where did he go? Because I'll watch anything that man does, because holy good goddamn is that legit.

Arrow had a related story where they keep giving more creative control over to their stunt coordinator and the results have been fantastic. The show still has a tendency to lean on shaky cam here and there, but their best stuff can keep up with Netflix's inconsistency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzUvw4kEIM Clearly done on a network budget, but damned solid.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Someone mentioned that the fight coordinator from Daredevil's first season peaced out and left. Where did he go? Because I'll watch anything that man does, because holy good goddamn is that legit.

Arrow had a related story where they keep giving more creative control over to their stunt coordinator and the results have been fantastic. The show still has a tendency to lean on shaky cam here and there, but their best stuff can keep up with Netflix's inconsistency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzUvw4kEIM Clearly done on a network budget, but damned solid.

That's pretty great for network TV, is Arrow always that good?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Not always; the show's gone on for five seasons now and the action's had its hits and misses. But the hits are really impressive hits; I would actually consider that clip to be one of the more generic action scenes on the show and not one of the better ones.

It's just unfortunate that you have to endure the rest of Arrow's...considerable foibles...to get to those scenes.

e: vv To put it another way...

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 28, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HIJK posted:

That's pretty great for network TV, is Arrow always that good?

Arrow is a really bad show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Arrow is a really bad show.

I'm the immortal and powerful Iron Fist who is foiled by being tied to a chair.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah but he is neither of those things he's just some punk kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Arrow is worse, trust me.