Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
My IJN CA captain just got 4 points to the level four skill. I'm kind of torn between demolition expert and land stand. What's the goonsensus on that skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Pacra posted:

You should join a goon division in teamspeak then :)

Good avatar/post combo there.

I do enjoy playing with goons, the only thing is the idiosyncratic way I play - I usually play a round then tab out and do something else, watch tv, play another round, read for a while, make terrible posts, etc. Playing more a couple games in a row back to back starts to feel too grindy for me and I start to get a little burned out.

Two confederate games in a row in the Gnevny. Man I wish the enemy players stayed this bad as you go up tiers. USN and IJN destroyers have no qualms about heading right for me or trying to duel me broadsides. Thats two games in a row I killed three DDs.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

My IJN CA captain just got 4 points to the level four skill. I'm kind of torn between demolition expert and land stand. What's the goonsensus on that skill?

What ship are you on currently? AFT is awesome in the Mogami, but otherwise I think you are better off with Demo Expert. I dont think you suffer nearly enough rudder/engine criticals for last stand to be worth it in cruisers. Japanese DDs? Absolutely.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lakedaimon posted:

What ship are you on currently? AFT is awesome in the Mogami, but otherwise I think you are better off with Demo Expert. I dont think you suffer nearly enough rudder/engine criticals for last stand to be worth it in cruisers. Japanese DDs? Absolutely.

AFT would have been a no-brainer before 0.5.1 even for non-Mogami ships. Demo Expert is nice but your chance to cause fires is already pretty high. Last Stand seems unlikely to come up much on a real heavy cruiser.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Generally I'd say take AFT for cruisers regardless of what nationality you are. Even without the main gun range boost(which is likely going away sometime in the foreseeable future), the AA range increase is extremely helpful at higher tiers. Range of the inner guns being 3 km really doesn't help much considering how fast planes at those tiers are, so boosting their range means CVs are kept more honest. Generally I'll go with the AA range boost module too, since there's nothing else I care too much about in that slot. In addition, it gives you a wider radius for disrupting planes with DF, which is helpful for your team.

Also IJN cruisers already have pretty decent fire chances, and the skill is not additive. There's some increase, but it's not a flat +3% to it. You're also perfectly capable of doing quite decent damage simply shooting AP, even against many battleships.

edit:

wdarkk posted:

AFT would have been a no-brainer before 0.5.1 even for non-Mogami ships. Demo Expert is nice but your chance to cause fires is already pretty high. Last Stand seems unlikely to come up much on a real heavy cruiser.

Wait, was there a change to AFT in 0.5.1?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Ever wish you had subs in your world of warships? Well let the chinese rip off world of warships and recreate the game.

海战世界 or Steel Ocean is coming to steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/390670

Watch this video and try to figure out what was directly ripped from world of warships.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skw4yuXMtNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zIW7G5fyJU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Wait, was there a change to AFT in 0.5.1?

No, but there seem to be fewer carriers and Defensive Fire was nerfed (has charges).

Also I recall reading that DE is additive, unlike all the fire prevention/reduction skills.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yeah, apparently Demolition Expert is now +3% additive, so its... not terrible? I'd still take Last Stand over it, but its your choice. Until AFT is changed, its a straight up superior option for 155mm ships, and Last Stand can and will save your life on many occasions.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Well, I guess I'll make my mind up in the morning. I just unlocked the Myoko. I have been using AP as a CA, but with the changes, I was HE spamming today. I would get ~5000 damage volleys with HE. That seems off.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Huh, pretty sure Demolition Expert at least used to not be additive. Oh well, I'd probably still take AFT over it, but at least it's competitive.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

Well, I guess I'll make my mind up in the morning. I just unlocked the Myoko. I have been using AP as a CA, but with the changes, I was HE spamming today. I would get ~5000 damage volleys with HE. That seems off.

If you hit an undamaged ship with HE you can do a ludicrous amount of damage at first. An accurate salvo from a Mogami could strip off like 6000-10000 damage from a pristine Tirpitz as you pop AA and secondary emplacements. However, once those components are mostly blown to hell future hits against that section do less and less damage. It always felt to me that finishing off a badly wounded BB with HE was a lot tougher than the hp would suggest unless you were lucky enough to start fires, or had friendly BBs coring him with AP, or planes/DDs dropping torps into him.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Switch to AP, partial penetrations continue all the way to dead IIRC.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Hazdoc posted:

Well, it should affect all AP, not just BB AP. All armor was affected, which in turn should affect all AP shells.

It seems to affect all shells. Today I saw Dresden doing citadel hit with HE shell.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Taking multiple citadel hits and being set on fire by the same salvo(i.e. The loving Tirpitz was using HE) while angled in a battleship sure was fun tonight. gently caress WG so much, I might mostly hang this up for the moment until this poo poo is fixed. They've hosed up so much stuff in 0.5.1 it's killing a bunch of interest in playing.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm planning on starting playing with two friends, none of us have any experience to speak of- is there an obvious trio of complimentary ship types we should be working on, or does it not make enough of a difference to bother?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

Ever wish you had subs in your world of warships? Well let the chinese rip off world of warships and recreate the game.

海战世界 or Steel Ocean is coming to steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/390670

Watch this video and try to figure out what was directly ripped from world of warships.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skw4yuXMtNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zIW7G5fyJU

Watching the sub try to pull off a Harder and fail is probably going to be what a lot of pubbies will try to be doing.

Also wow that manual AA on the destroyer just melted that air group. I wish my AA was that effective in WoWS.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

It's like a more modern Navy Field.

...poo poo, it's probably pretty good.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm planning on starting playing with two friends, none of us have any experience to speak of- is there an obvious trio of complimentary ship types we should be working on, or does it not make enough of a difference to bother?

If you guys are planning to play in a division (two or three of you on the same side in the same game) I think the best piece of advice is try to all stay in the same tier.

Tiers I and II are over after a couple games so use whatever. Tier III the strongest overall ship is the St. Louis. The Tenryu isnt quite as tough or shooty, but it is faster and has a strong torpedo compliment. Different ship lines peak at different times. The US cruiser line is considered very good through the Cleveland, but mediocre after that. Japanese cruisers have good velocity guns and powerful torpedoes, but are fragile and not as good at shooting down planes as the American boats. German cruisers have a great ship in the Konigsberg (tier V) but im not really sold on the rest of the line save the Tier VIII and X.

Japanese destroyers are the best for the stealthy/long-range torpedo attacks. Russian destroyers can outshoot and bully them easily, but have torpedoes with such short range they can be suicide to use. The US destroyers are a balance between the two.

US Battleships tend to be slower and shorter ranged, but sturdier and better equipped to shoot down planes. From tier 8 on though they are plenty fast. Japanese battleships are faster and have very long range at the lower tiers. However they are usually not as well armored. The line does end in the Yamato though.

Right now carriers are a little messed up from the recent patch, a lot of people consider the mid tier Japanese ships to be better, but the higher tier American carriers to be the best.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Danann posted:

Watching the sub try to pull off a Harder and fail is probably going to be what a lot of pubbies will try to be doing.

Also wow that manual AA on the destroyer just melted that air group. I wish my AA was that effective in WoWS.

their patch notes are full on chinglish

quote:

Social system: Fleet Guild, Grouping system, Chat system, Voice communication system in battle.

Battle map: Open 27 maps.

Ship type: There are 6 types of ship: Destroyer (BB), Light Cruiser (CL), Heavy Cruiser (CA) Battleship (BB), Aircraft Carrier (CV) and Submarine (SS).

Nation: There are 5 different nation’s ships: U.S.A, Japan, Germany, France and China.

Warship: There are 164 warships available.

Commander: There are 53 commanders.

also lol at france and chinese ships

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

The French actually had a really advanced navy at the onset of WWII :eng101:

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

France and China before UK?

nice one

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I'd rather have France before UK than Germany (as is happening in warships, UK is the next nation after German battleships and Russian cruisers). There is nothing interesting about the high tier German battleships. They're all the same boat.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I wonder if french ship will have a special Scuttle ability?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

I really want a French fast battleship with 8 foward facing guns.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So are aimbots rampant, or do a lot of players just get really, really good? I've had a few separate matches now where cruisers 2 islands behind me with no line of sight were still hitting me with 90% of their shots fired, and it's really frustrating.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I want a Le Fantasque class destroyer, but you just know that they'll either be banned because they're too fast, or categorised in game as mid tier light cruisers, because that's what the Royal Navy called them, instead of the tier 9/10 destroyers they deserve to be.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Omi no Kami posted:

So are aimbots rampant, or do a lot of players just get really, really good? I've had a few separate matches now where cruisers 2 islands behind me with no line of sight were still hitting me with 90% of their shots fired, and it's really frustrating.

Aimbots aren't terribly good at hitting evasive targets, if they're even working right now. If a ship has you locked, its not hard to shoot over mountains. Doubly so if those cruisers were Murmansks with scout plane popped, as they get a higher angle with which to aim at you.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Omi no Kami posted:

I wouldn't say they are rampant. I regularly hit targets behind mountains. I just hit 1000 games with a 65% win rate and I've never ever had a problem with anyone who may be using aim assists.

Also not bothered by any of these armor/ammo changes. I'm sure they re-adjust a few things, but some players are sure getting worked up over a FtP boat game.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I was having fun with this until they broke it. Broadsiding a cruiser with my BB for a one-hit-kill was not only satisfying but felt like the appropriate response to that much firepower. Doesn't seem like there's much point to playing unless they fix it, since my NM's guns are now pea shooters and my carrier planes just get owned by that dogfighting expert bug.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
It's still possible to get high damage penetrations in a BB without the citadel. I hit one for 18k earlier today, no citadel. It's just really stupid because there's no rhyme or reason as to why it's happening. I assume I landed multiple shells that all penetrated.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

I wanted to address this since I see it on the WG forums sometimes -

There's actually no public aim assist currently, since WG gave some fundamental Flash file protection that broke the public aim assist mod. The russian dudes that made it have no plans for another.

There's a handful of private aim assist mods, but they and the public one tend to make people perform worse at the game, not better, since by the time you hit tier 5, almost everyone is at least passingly good at evasive maneuvering. There are no aimbots existing, just aim assists, and the aim assists update on your screen with significant latency. Any change in direction or speed will result in misses, making any assist mods worthless unless you're in a t3 fight under 10km with only St. Louises, which are only driving in a straight line at the same speed.

So that means : no public aim assist means the vast majority of players play legit, the fraction of a percent that might be using a private aim assist mod are making themselves worse at the game. An aimbot taking into account your own muzzle velocity, the other ship's specific armor model, direction, turning speed, and ship speed and acceleration is a tiny sliver of possible but doesn't exist, that'd be an overwhelming amount of calculus and using c++/assembly for directx injection/checking which values are what. (edit: and due to the amount of time at range for shells to hit, it'd still be a guessing game, you could potentially have further HUD calculation giving a percentage probability of hitting, based on the previous parameters given. Anyway what I'm saying is this poo poo is complex.)

You could say... it'd be the ultimate software naval Fire Control Solution. But like the OP said months ago, any aim assist is garbage and you're better off using your brain and a decent crosshair (I prefer the scalable crosshair in Aslain's modpack, but I bet the other circular/radii crosshairs are also good for diagonals) to eyeball the above.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 10, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
And if you pay money for an aim assist that will make you marginally better only serving as a crutch then I have a timeshare in Syria you might be interested in.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

TehKeen posted:

The French actually had a really advanced navy at the onset of WWII :eng101:

Probably the fourth best, and the RN is partly there on size rather than quality. Overall some fantastic designs, at the outbreak of war they had the second best cruisers, likely the best 15" battleship, and strong competitors for the most capable destroyer leaders. Frankly they'd be the best pick for a nation after the US and IJN. A heck of a lot better than Germany and miles past the USSR.

Dalael posted:

I wonder if french ship will have a special Scuttle ability?

Or maybe one where their allies sink them in harbor.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Probably the fourth best, and the RN is partly there on size rather than quality. Overall some fantastic designs, at the outbreak of war they had the second best cruisers, likely the best 15" battleship, and strong competitors for the most capable destroyer leaders. Frankly they'd be the best pick for a nation after the US and IJN. A heck of a lot better than Germany and miles past the USSR.

I'm still so fascinated by how much of a developed navy Japan had

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

xthetenth posted:

"Scuttle" should be reserved for Germany: your ship runs out of hit points and sinks as normal, but after sinking you get the option to scuttle your ship instead.

Or just write "[Rodney] scuttled [Bismarck]" instead of "[Rodney] destroyed [Bismarck]" when a German ship sinks, I guess.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 10, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

James Garfield posted:

"Scuttle" should be reserved for Germany: your ship runs out of hit points and sinks as normal, but after sinking you get the option to scuttle your ship instead.

Or just write "[Rodney] scuttled [Bismarck]" instead of "[Rodney] destroyed [Bismarck]" when a German ship sinks, I guess.

It definitely can apply to both.

German's scuttled a bunch of their WWI ships at Scapa Flow, while the french scuttled their fleet in Toulon. Either ways, both of these countries haven't quite understood the concept that their ships perform better above the water.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Dalael posted:

German's scuttled a bunch of their WWI ships at Scapa Flow, while the french scuttled their fleet in Toulon. Either ways, both of these countries haven't quite understood the concept that their ships perform better above the water.

In both cases, they wanted to avoid having their ships stolen and added to the fleets of their enemies.

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 10, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

dominoeffect posted:

I'm still so fascinated by how much of a developed navy Japan had

You can do a lot with active development, skilled engineers and a willingness to spend amounts of money wildly out of proportion to your economy.

Dalael posted:

Much like how -6 is bigger than -3, it is better for your ships to be sunk in enemy hands than floating in enemy hands.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

one of the more 'i bet they were waiting to do this for centuries' moments of WWII: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-K%C3%A9bir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Just bought the Ognevoi, any thoughts on Propulsion Mod 2 (20% faster acceleration) or Steering Mod 2 (20% rudder shift time)?

With the top hull, rudder shift is already at 4.8 sec so I am seriously considering the acceleration mod for the first time on any ship because I thrash about so much in these DDs and bleed off a lot of speed.

edit: awesome - inaugural game in new ship, and the very first shot that hits me is a detonation

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 10, 2015