Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

dalstrs posted:

Am I correct in the thought that people who are anti-vaccine for dogs are pretty much the same as people who are antivaccine for people?

My GF's mom is trying to tell me vaccines cause all kinds of stuff in dogs and that with things like rabies they only need one shot to give them immunity their whole life. I'm reading through a bunch of terrible sources that she sent me 'supporting' her side but if there if there is a source I can send back to her, clearly stating why her ideas are wrong, it would be great.

Edit: Here is a list of the articles she sent:

I went through and most is homeopathic crap and unproven claims. I have pointed this all out but because this seems like such a niche subject I am having trouble finding anything reputable one way or the other.

dogs naturally is a magazine for morons written by morons thank you, i'll be here all week. if i recall correctly, they've recently published an article on the miasma theory of disease, something that has been out of date for over hundred of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hi guys. My friend has an Axolotl in a tank and she just moved and I guess she got an infestation or something and wanted to know what it is/what to do about it. Any help you could provide me would be helpful! She's in an apartment in Milwaukee if the location matters.

Heres the image she sent me after pipetting some out, they live next to the glass between the gravel and stuff.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Can a dog recognise different bird species?
I want my dog to chase away pigeons but not magpies.
Also he has to be friends with rooks.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Ramadu posted:

Hi guys. My friend has an Axolotl in a tank and she just moved and I guess she got an infestation or something and wanted to know what it is/what to do about it. Any help you could provide me would be helpful! She's in an apartment in Milwaukee if the location matters.

Heres the image she sent me after pipetting some out, they live next to the glass between the gravel and stuff.

I have no idea what's supposed to be in that photo, but try googling seed shrimp or copepods (freshwater). If it's some macroinvertebrate, you don't really need to do anything - they came in on the plants, and will either be food (small axolotls) or may help scavenge leftover food, and are a good or neutral thing, provided they aren't so abundant that they stress it out.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Hi, my vet prescribed some benzos for my dog for stressful situations (thunderstorms, etc). 4th of July is coming up, and i want to give her one on that evening. The directions say to give her the pill an hour before the stressful situation starts... But I know fireworks are gonna be going off all day, probably. Is it ok to just give her one a little before dusk, even though she'll already be pretty scared from sustained fireworks craziness?

edit: sounds like if you give it to dogs already showing signs of anxiety, there is a chance it could cause more stress due to them feeling disoriented.
Might only give her one if we're able to get through the day without fireworks going off (unlikely because I live in a dense city neighborhood).

cloudy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 29, 2016

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Maybe give your vet a call and ask.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Goddamned fleas. I must have found a good seven or eight on Tater the last couple days. He's been on fipronyl and Trifexis so I'm a bit baffled.

I gave him a tar and sulfur bath, will be doing the vacuuming routine and we have an exterminator coming next Friday (apartment is paying for it so hey why not). Fleabuster is at the ready, but I don't want to bother with that unless even the exterminator doesn't work.

I'm going to switch from Pet Armor to Advantage for a topical. Have they made flea collars worth a poo poo yet? Last I heard the only way they'd kill a flea is if it tripped over one and broke its leg, but I've heard rumors of some that don't suck.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Tayter Swift posted:

Goddamned fleas. I must have found a good seven or eight on Tater the last couple days. He's been on fipronyl and Trifexis so I'm a bit baffled.

I gave him a tar and sulfur bath, will be doing the vacuuming routine and we have an exterminator coming next Friday (apartment is paying for it so hey why not). Fleabuster is at the ready, but I don't want to bother with that unless even the exterminator doesn't work.

I'm going to switch from Pet Armor to Advantage for a topical. Have they made flea collars worth a poo poo yet? Last I heard the only way they'd kill a flea is if it tripped over one and broke its leg, but I've heard rumors of some that don't suck.

I hear good things about the Seresto collars. Don't smell horrible, don't have weird residue, last 8 months, and if your pet reacts poorly to it you just take it off. But Advantage is pretty great too. Frontline doesn't seem to work any more, it seems that fleas have grown resistant to it (in my area at least) so I'd avoid that

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'll keep those in mind then, thanks. I put Advantix on yesterday and it seems to be doing the trick, and have commenced the vacuuming process.

Oddly enough I've spent some time tramping around in white socks and haven't seen any fleas on me.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I wouldn't really expect to find fleas on you - my dog kept getting small infestations (1-10, typically closer to 2-3) that I'd kill every couple of weeks (combination of pills and baths) before finding a treatment that worked. During the time it was going on (about three months), I only ever found one on me, after my dog had been sitting on me.

If Advantix doesn't work, Advantage II has been really well for me - no fleas since switching. It's really expensive, though, so here's a tip - I bought a six pack for extra large dogs (the same price as the six pack for small dogs), googled a dosage, double checked with a vet, and used a pipette to measure out the specific dose (.4 mL, dog under 10 pounds) and stored the rest for later (should be good for at least five years). One tube lasts my dog ten months, so it's roughly $1/month, which is really reasonable.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
wrong thread

PyPy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 3, 2016

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Soresto collars have worked really well for my dogs and are supposedly super effective against ticks. I've yet to find either on any of the dogs, even on the outdoor dog.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Ausrotten posted:

Seresto collars have worked really well for my dogs and are supposedly super effective against ticks. I've yet to find either on any of the dogs, even on the outdoor dog.

This is also one of the cheapest ways for the aforementioned XL dogs that need the entire dosing of Advantage a month.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Advantix II is the one I'm going with. They're really not doing themselves any favors with their branding by offering four similar products with hard-t-distinguish names.

At any rate Tater has been flea-free since I put it on him on the first. Big guy came around and sprayed the first treatment yesterday, and we're doing the vacuuming thing. Should have this licked soon.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Tayter Swift posted:

Advantix II is the one I'm going with. They're really not doing themselves any favors with their branding by offering four similar products with hard-t-distinguish names.

At any rate Tater has been flea-free since I put it on him on the first. Big guy came around and sprayed the first treatment yesterday, and we're doing the vacuuming thing. Should have this licked soon.

Just want to put it out there that Advantix II was the only one my dog had a severe allergic skin reaction to. YMMV of course! We currently use Frontline as it's more effective in our area, but Advantage works great too.

Earlier this year we went through the same thing actually, as normally people don't start putting flea/tick prevention on until early March (I'm near Chicago). Apparently the Winter freeze fluctuated so much and it was so generally warm, that it really should've been put on sooner this year. I've lived here 8 years and never done it before March, no problems. We are flea-free now, and what it took was bombing the house with food-grade (pet safe) diatomaceous earth, daily vacuuming, and Frontline, basically. From everything I read while I was researching, sometimes the pros can't even eliminate an infestation completely because, iirc, the pupae stage is impervious to...most everything. Anyway, if you're still having problems in a while, diatomaceous earth is the way to go because it mechanically punctures the pupae "shell" so it can then desiccate. It's so messy and such a hassle (pack up everything you don't want to spend time dusting later!), but it has worked.

BTW, I hardly EVER saw any fleas on the dog (or flea dirt) on us, AT ALL. But I had a bad allergic reaction to their bites, which is basically how we knew. Everyone else in the house while at max infestation was largely unaffected. Good luck!

Ishkibibble_Fish fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 13, 2016

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My dog ( 2 or 3 year old Shih Tzu mix ) got some kind of eye irritation that resulted in an infection. In addition to that, vet tests determined that the dog's immune system is attacking his tear glands and interfering with tear production, which means I need to dose him with artificial tears, two times a day. Forever.

The dog is... less than thrilled. Sometimes I can get in there and do it. Sometimes he'll squirm and thrash and make things difficult. He yawns, licks his nose a lot, twists his head around to look away while I'm doing it, etc. Stress signs. Elevated pulse.

The sight of the bottle makes him nervous, but not very. It's the business of doing it that makes him wig. I've tried showing him the bottle and giving a food reward afterwards. I'm also treating him after we're done. I know it'll take a while to see any results from this ( if any ), but I really don't want to risk hurting my dog or stressing him out every day for the rest of his life. Help?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

That sucks. Here's a video of someone free-shaping their dog to accept eye drops without restraint. It'll likely take you a while (and you may want to contact a trainer if you're not equipped for the challenge yourself), but if it's for the life of the dog, it'll be worth it in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auixr0Tlams

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

When is a good age to get a dog spayed? I have an Aussie coming up on 5 months next week, no plans of breeding obviously.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Re spaying or neutering dogs I've always been told "as soon as the vet will do it" so usually at around six or eight weeks. With girls I think you're meant to do it before the first heat (Google agrees with me and says that's around six months). Five months should be fine. The sooner you do it the sooner she'll be over it.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

It's best for the dog if you wait until it's done growing, actually. They need those hormones for that. If you can wait (and can ensure no oops litters) I'd have it done a month or two after the first heat.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
That'd probably be right if you're in a situation where you know your dog isn't likely to be out wandering and getting pregnant/getting other dogs pregnant. I am used to living on properties/farms and small country towns where dogs wander a lot, so if you're planning on fixing them, you'd better get it done quickly. I imagine it'd be better for the dog's health to let them grow a bit more first.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Excessive foot chewing/nibbling/licking in a 6yr old female beagle. It was thought to be a food allergy, later ruled out by vet. The vet now thinks it to be seasonal related to the cooler months when the furnace runs. But the furnace isn't running since it's summer. And she had stopped for several months before starting again.
She's been at the one paw enough to have licked or nibbled away most of the fur, the skin looks dry and inflamed.
Is this a symptom of stress or boredom? I don't think it's fleas, but I could be wrong. She's not overly active, with the exception of regular walks, and has never really figured out the concept of playing despite efforts. She is very food orientated.
In the end I'm looking for ideas to ease discomfort until she can get into the vet again. Kind of at my wit's end here.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Canadian Bakin posted:

Excessive foot chewing/nibbling/licking in a 6yr old female beagle. It was thought to be a food allergy, later ruled out by vet. The vet now thinks it to be seasonal related to the cooler months when the furnace runs. But the furnace isn't running since it's summer. And she had stopped for several months before starting again.
She's been at the one paw enough to have licked or nibbled away most of the fur, the skin looks dry and inflamed.
Is this a symptom of stress or boredom? I don't think it's fleas, but I could be wrong. She's not overly active, with the exception of regular walks, and has never really figured out the concept of playing despite efforts. She is very food orientated.
In the end I'm looking for ideas to ease discomfort until she can get into the vet again. Kind of at my wit's end here.

Honestly I would buy a soft cone, and just e-collar her during downtime for the time being. It could definitely be stress or boredom- dogs can engage in obsessive grooming behaviors like that as a result of either. But, the intensity (is it near-constant chewing/ licking that disrupts other activities?) really sounds like allergies to me. Dogs can have Summer seasonal allergies too, and there are definitely dogs that are allergic to common grasses. This would especially affect the paws specifically. (And it would make some sense as she seemed to have stopped during Winter?) IDK, talk to your vet, but you can also do low doses of daily antihistimine, such as diphenhydramine. The normal dose is 1mg/ lb of body weight, a couple times per day. Some allergies are severe enough to need an initial dose of steroids to turn the corner on, though.

As for a food-motivated dog that doesn't like playing, I'd recommend puzzles/ toys that make getting the food challenging and more of a game. I like the Kong Wobbler a lot for meal-times, for example, but there are tons of these types of things that would probably appeal to a Beagle. Even a slow-feeder or Slo-bowl.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Flea update: Looks like Advantix II has done the trick. I haven't seen any fleas on Tater since I put it on, and quite frankly he's acting like a total rear end in a top hat his old happy self again.

Bug spray guy has come around twice and we're still doing the daily vacuuming, although tbh I haven't seen anything that looks like flea stuff from what comes out. We're still gonna do the vauuming thing for another few days but it looks like we got off relatively easy. Whew.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
When I had a recent flea scare I set up a soap trap (lamp with a bowl of soapy water under it) overnight just to see if there were possibly any hanging around. It's just a good reassurance check. :)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Does this look familiar to anyone? It's some new growth on my 2YO husky/hound mix's carpal pad. He doesn't seem to mind it, and it feels pretty soft to the touch.
http://imgur.com/hPIoiNQ

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Quick question: Should I cut a hole in my new fence so my dog can see out?

Long version: I have a dog, and I need a new fence. The old fence has (since before I moved here) a little screened window cut out, so the dog can see out. I see lots of these, walking around the neighborhood. It seems to me that there is less inclination to fence fight among the dogs who have a back yard they can see out of, but I'm not sure. One version of the new fence might in fact have spaces just because it's that kind of fence. We haven't decided. Obviously, that kind would not need a hole.

Anecdotes not data: One house in our neighborhood had a couple of slats missing, and my dog sniffed noses with the dogs that lived there and they all seemed happy. They fixed the slats and now I have to cross the street because the dogs sound like they want to kill each other. Second anecdote, there was a house that had a white picket fence that went slat-space-slat-space and so on. There were two dogs that lived in that yard, and my dog was always happy to greet them. They decided to sell the place, filled in the spaces with similar slats, and now, it's another fence fight.

Is there any actual data on this? When I Googled, I got a bunch of stuff about invisible fences, and that's not happening.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Dog port holes are cute. https://www.amazon.com/PetPeek-Fence-Window-for-Pets/dp/B00BHBJPHA

If your dog never had issues with the screen then install a new one if you want one. Some people say it reduces fence aggression, but it probably ultimately depends on the dog.

Insanite posted:

Does this look familiar to anyone? It's some new growth on my 2YO husky/hound mix's carpal pad. He doesn't seem to mind it, and it feels pretty soft to the touch.

If I had this growing on me I'd go to my dermatologist yesterday. It's probably not an emergency but gross, get that looked at.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Insanite posted:

It's hyperkeratosis - you can file it down/cut it off and soften it with a balm like musher's secret.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Did I push my 8 year-old beagle too hard in hot-ish weather?

We went to the park last night, and he was panting harder than I have ever seen before. But maybe this was just the first time I noticed.

It was pretty hot out. Warmer than most days this summer. 27C, 35C with humidity. The sun was fairly low, so we were in the shade for most of the run through the park. We did about 5km in 45 minutes or so. He had water halfway through. He didn't accept any more water at the end.

Anyway, I have a video of his panting. Maybe it's no big deal, but I'm wondering if I pushed his limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=655qVo49ifY

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 8, 2016

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Panting alone is not too much too worry about. He looks alert. If they're drinking water, or not thirsty, and not vomiting, that's good. Shade's good. That is pretty hot though. I might consider doing that in a place where you can soak him with water or he can swim - being wet really helps them cool more than panting cuz they can't sweat. If you have a lot of water, you can poor it on him especially on his underside, armpits, belly, leg pits.. You can also check gum color. That said my dog started showing pre heat exhaustion symptoms, throwing up her water, and it was less hot and humid than that, but we were in full sun. I got her out of the mountain on my shoulders as fast as I could and to the vet right after but she perked up and stopped vomiting soon.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

pizzadog posted:

Panting alone is not too much too worry about. He looks alert. If they're drinking water, or not thirsty, and not vomiting, that's good. Shade's good. That is pretty hot though. I might consider doing that in a place where you can soak him with water or he can swim - being wet really helps them cool more than panting cuz they can't sweat. If you have a lot of water, you can poor it on him especially on his underside, armpits, belly, leg pits.. You can also check gum color. That said my dog started showing pre heat exhaustion symptoms, throwing up her water, and it was less hot and humid than that, but we were in full sun. I got her out of the mountain on my shoulders as fast as I could and to the vet right after but she perked up and stopped vomiting soon.

Oh man, glad your doggy is ok!

Thanks for the tips - huge help. The problem with beagles is, they don't like the water! But that won't stop me from either just dragging him in or dumping water on him on a hot day like that. For god sakes, the park we frequent is surrounded by the Atlantic ocean on three sides! But I never thought of that since he hates the water so much.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 13, 2016

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
My parents own a dog. He's a 10 year old mini-schnauzer . He's often looking bored and lonely, so my parents decided to get him a friend.

They bought another male mini-schnauzer puppy. I think he's 16 weeks old.

I think they failed to introduce them properly, and instead of embracing the new pup, our old dog is somewhat hostile to him. The puppy has started playing with all of the grown dog's toys, and instead of play with him, the older dog has just stopped picking the toys back up (he'll still run towards them if thrown but won't touch them after smelling them.)

He also does things like snap and start barking at the pup for also coming to greet me when I come home, which I don't like. The pup is taking it like a champ but it's still not behavior we want to encourage. At the same time, I don't really want to punish him, because I don't want him to feel like he's being replaced by the younger dog.

He's generally been a pretty selfish dog; when we've house-sat other people's dogs in the past, he's very territorial. The older dog has never been neutered, perhaps that's why he's so aggressive? (The pup is too young for it but we plan to do it.)

We've had the puppy for like a week now... They're sort of starting to get along a little better (I just saw them running around together a bit inside of the house, which is a first, although the older dog still seemed a little aggressive.)

Any advice for getting them to get along better? Or will the older dog eventually warm up to him when he grows up a little?

beeaar fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 13, 2016

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

beeaar posted:

My parents own a dog. He's a 10 year old mini-schnauzer . He's often looking bored and lonely, so my parents decided to get him a friend.

They bought another male mini-schnauzer puppy. I think he's 16 weeks old.

I think they failed to introduce them properly, and instead of embracing the new pup, our old dog is somewhat hostile to him. The puppy has started playing with all of the grown dog's toys, and instead of play with him, the older dog has just stopped picking the toys back up (he'll still run towards them if thrown but won't touch them after smelling them.)

He also does things like snap and start barking at the pup for also coming to greet me when I come home, which I don't like. The pup is taking it like a champ but it's still not behavior we want to encourage. At the same time, I don't really want to punish him, because I don't want him to feel like he's being replaced by the younger dog.

He's generally been a pretty selfish dog; when we've house-sat other people's dogs in the past, he's very territorial. The older dog has never been neutered, perhaps that's why he's so aggressive? (The pup is too young for it but we plan to do it.)

We've had the puppy for like a week now... They're sort of starting to get along a little better (I just saw them running around together a bit inside of the house, which is a first, although the older dog still seemed a little aggressive.)

Any advice for getting them to get along better? Or will the older dog eventually warm up to him when he grows up a little?

Maybe. Is your answer. There's really no way to know, but they already messed up a bit with not having a nice slow comfortable introduction, AND both dogs being intact males. Judging from past house sitting with him being territorial with other dogs why did they think he'd like a new puppy brother?? Anyway, I'd suggest, both neutered for now and see where it goes from there - studies show it can reduce aggression about half the time. But taking it slow and allowing them to have some separation will help too. Also never punish the dog for growling, and if he actually is biting possibly muzzle training. It would be ideal to not let it get to bites though and keep both dogs safe by using barriers.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I don't think neutering is your answer. I would separate them until they're comfortable with the existence of the other without your older one having to deal with a puppy in his face. I'd recommend working with a trainer who specializes in reinforcement-based training for some one on one help. There's a Dog Training Megathread in this subforum too which may help you.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

Flea update: Looks like Advantix II has done the trick. I haven't seen any fleas on Tater since I put it on, and quite frankly he's acting like a total rear end in a top hat his old happy self again.

Bug spray guy has come around twice and we're still doing the daily vacuuming, although tbh I haven't seen anything that looks like flea stuff from what comes out. We're still gonna do the vauuming thing for another few days but it looks like we got off relatively easy. Whew.

Update: Zero fleas since June, Advantix II owns, Tater owns, dogs own. The end.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's a dog's butt hole supposed to look like? As in, should there be something in the center of the hole?

We have an 3 year old "pure breed Pitt Bull" that we forcibly adopted* from a former coworker. Pretty much the whole time we've had her, she's been bleeding a little from her butt after every poop she takes. We've done the vet thing several times, and they never really find anything. This last time they even completely cleaned her out, and we did a anti- and pro- biotic regime, which also did little. We have also changed her diet a lot with no changes, either. Even doing a chicken and rice diet for over a week with little changes.

And, now, the topic at hand. She brought her back inside and wiped up her behind a little because she had a bit more blood then normal. In doing so, I discover a lump poking out of her butt that's kinda bloody. This concerns me in the gooniest way possible: I read the dildo thread in A&T and now know what "pink socking" (totally :nms: if you didn't know).

I know the answer is to take her back to the vet, but what, exactly, should we tell them? "I think Kitty's intestines are popping out when she poops"? Is there really much of a test or treatment for this?

*My girl was dogsitting for several months with only a single case of beer as payment and only being provided with ~15 lbs of not so good food. Dog wasn't spayed, and we got to experience her 1st or 2nd heat. When we weren't sure if we could keep watching her, the owner thought she could drop her off at the pound and then pick her up later (i.e. in a few months) when she got a new house.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It sounds like hemorrhoids honestly. Not a big deal if it is, but still go to the vet.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BirdOfPlay posted:

What's a dog's butt hole supposed to look like? As in, should there be something in the center of the hole?

We have an 3 year old "pure breed Pitt Bull" that we forcibly adopted* from a former coworker. Pretty much the whole time we've had her, she's been bleeding a little from her butt after every poop she takes. We've done the vet thing several times, and they never really find anything. This last time they even completely cleaned her out, and we did a anti- and pro- biotic regime, which also did little. We have also changed her diet a lot with no changes, either. Even doing a chicken and rice diet for over a week with little changes.

And, now, the topic at hand. She brought her back inside and wiped up her behind a little because she had a bit more blood then normal. In doing so, I discover a lump poking out of her butt that's kinda bloody. This concerns me in the gooniest way possible: I read the dildo thread in A&T and now know what "pink socking" (totally :nms: if you didn't know).

I know the answer is to take her back to the vet, but what, exactly, should we tell them? "I think Kitty's intestines are popping out when she poops"? Is there really much of a test or treatment for this?

*My girl was dogsitting for several months with only a single case of beer as payment and only being provided with ~15 lbs of not so good food. Dog wasn't spayed, and we got to experience her 1st or 2nd heat. When we weren't sure if we could keep watching her, the owner thought she could drop her off at the pound and then pick her up later (i.e. in a few months) when she got a new house.

Dude it's probably rectal prolapse- GO TO THE VET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rurutia posted:

It sounds like hemorrhoids honestly. Not a big deal if it is, but still go to the vet.

Makes sense, but the internet seems conflicted on whether dogs can get hemorrhoids. PetMD (:nws: for instant picture of doggy anus) says that dogs don't get them, and yet, https://www.doghemorrhoids.net is a real live website. The other part of that is that, beyond the blood, it doesn't really bother the dog. She's not in pain nor does she avoid pooping (outside of normal dog reasons like there's a groundhog out back). Honestly, shame seems to be the only thing she feels about the whole situation. After pooping she doesn't like us looking at her butt and will tuck her tail in.

pizzadog posted:

Dude it's probably rectal prolapse- GO TO THE VET.

Honestly, this is kinda the advice I was looking for. Since we've had her checked at least 3 times with nothing to show for it, I was hoping this would be a serious and new lead for what's going on. I don't exactly want our vet to be constantly looking up her butt if they can't ever find anything AND the dog's not in obvious pain or discomfort.

This isn't to say that we're not going to have her checked out. She was boarded last weekend and may have picked up kennel cough. She has an appointment on Monday, and I'll get them to give her another look.