Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

They're quite nice looking in black:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3649770665.html

I tried fitting on one but my feet sink 2" into the exhaust :(

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Sorry, I dont buy this without video to back it up.

Your friend is an idiot and will eventually be involved in a serious accident or killed. There is nothing you can do about it. See Scott LeVelle's story.

The LaVelle chapter is worth reading either way.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41805

http://www.youtube.com/user/ownsnine

Starter for anyone else wondering who the hell Scott Lavelle was.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I read that thread, which was difficult because jesus every other moto forum is awful, but TL;DR: Guy rides like a dong all the time on particular road, has massive crash, recovers, continues to ride like a total rear end, crashes, seriously injured, recovers, doesn't ride like a dong anymore.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

I read that thread, which was difficult because jesus every other moto forum is awful, but TL;DR: Guy rides like a dong all the time on particular road, has massive crash, recovers, continues to ride like a total rear end, crashes, seriously injured, recovers, rides like a dong again, crashes, receives serious brain trauma, now has an effective IQ of 70

Fixed.

All of this takes place over roughly 10 years.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

He's probably setting some killer time in his racecar bed now at least.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I started skimming thru that thread and the linked barf thread but it's so much junk and I don't really care. The BARF thread has people shouting for multiple pages about how it was disrespectful to link to another forum with pics and a story of how the guy was treated. Like 3 pages of someone ranting that you should only post to offer your condolences....stupid.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Fixed.

Someone posted that his kids say he's nicer now. (Presumably after horrible brain injury.)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Talking about bikes that don't have the performance to back up their looks, I just found about about the Yamaha BT-1100

Looks like a sweet Japanse tuber Buell, only its 1100cc engine makes all of 65HP.

Crank that BT-1100 up to 11 and you get a MT-01 (which I want):

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

I started skimming thru that thread and the linked barf thread but it's so much junk and I don't really care. The BARF thread has people shouting for multiple pages about how it was disrespectful to link to another forum with pics and a story of how the guy was treated. Like 3 pages of someone ranting that you should only post to offer your condolences....stupid.

barf.txt

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Crank that BT-1100 up to 11 and you get a MT-01 (which I want):

Yeah the MT-01's a cool bike for sure, but also a little gaudy/plasticy looking, dunno. MT-03 and VMax are cool too, Yamaha has some pretty quirky bikes in their lineup. Still at this point I see KTM in my future if it comes to another v-twin naked.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Z3n posted:

Fixed.

I didn't see anything about brain trauma in that SBR thread but gently caress digging any more so I'll just take your word for it.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Spiffness posted:

He's probably setting some killer time in his racecar bed now at least.

:lol: Thanks you rear end in a top hat, I spit coffee all over my laptop.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Still at this point I see KTM in my future if it comes to another v-twin naked.

If Erik doesn't hurry up with the AX11 or whatever, I may be shopping for a 990 SMT myself in a couple of years.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Motorcyclist Magazine (which I'm getting for free for some reason) had a page of Harbor Freight coupons last month, importantly a 20% off that doesn't expire until May and one for the nicer motorcycle wheel chock. Probably picking up the classic 4'x8' HF trailer this weekend so I can bring my Ducati from Ohio to North Carolina for the riding season (next month probably).

I'll write something up on building the trailer and setting it up for a motorcycle if anyone's interested.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

These 45-50 degree commutes are hell on performance. :(

That's because you need a turbo :getin:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

High Protein posted:

Yeah the MT-01's a cool bike for sure, but also a little gaudy/plasticy looking, dunno. MT-03 and VMax are cool too, Yamaha has some pretty quirky bikes in their lineup. Still at this point I see KTM in my future if it comes to another v-twin naked.

From what I remember when the MT-01 was announced was there was a lot of hype and then the finished product was heavy, top heavy, and slow with a really low redline. There are a lot of good things about V-twins in streetbikes but you can't make one by just throwing in a heavy cruiser motor with some cam/head tweaks and not expect compromises.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Obviously you haven't rode a Buell XB!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

Seattle to San Francisco to Arizona to New Mexico is 2000 miles if you super slab it, and 2300 if you don't. If you add in the north east, you add another 2000 miles easy I don't know if the KLR is the best tool for the job, especially if you're not going to ride any dirt with it. Are you set on a dual sport? There are better options in my opinion.

I'd probably break it up with some time chilling back in Florida with friends/family, don't think I'd do the whole thing all in one go. More interested in out west than the northeast anyways (as far as riding), so I may just fly up for that, since they've at least got public transportation kinda figured out up there anyways.

Pretty set on a dual-sport, yeah. Not that I've ridden anything else (other than scooters and the CB400 I took my test on), but other bikes don't have a lot of appeal to me otherwise.

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

Fixed.

I read the whole BARF thread. What can I say, I'm a masochist. They never mentioned that he suffered brain damage in his second wreck, though they do point out he suffered brain trauma in the first wreck.

The one thing I took away from it though that I think is useful and has kinda made an impression on me, is take it to the track. There you can go as fast as your stomach and skill can handle, there aren't trees and other cars to go crashing into and (hopefully) there are medical personnel there.

Hopefully I can keep that in mind to resist the urge to be a complete idiot when I get home and start riding again.

I feel horrible for his wife and family though. I couldn't imagine what it must be like living with someone who is a shadow of their former self.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He was also a pretty fast AFM/AMA racer.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

BARF is what happens when you let twelve-year-olds write obituaries. Whole forum is illiterate and macabre as gently caress

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Have they realized the irony in the name yet?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

From what I remember when the MT-01 was announced was there was a lot of hype and then the finished product was heavy, top heavy, and slow with a really low redline. There are a lot of good things about V-twins in streetbikes but you can't make one by just throwing in a heavy cruiser motor with some cam/head tweaks and not expect compromises.

The thing about the mt-01 is that yamaha made it to be a no expense spared halo muscle bike, sort of a new v-max before the new v-max. As a consequence, the design, build quality and fit and finish are top notch. Nobody bought them though, because nobody knew what the hell they were for and weren't about to part with 20k to take a punt. Now that they've depreciated like a rock and can be had for 5k, I'd say they're definitely worth a punt as a bit of fun for a year then flip it bike. They do look badass.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

The thing about the mt-01 is that yamaha made it to be a no expense spared halo muscle bike, sort of a new v-max before the new v-max. As a consequence, the design, build quality and fit and finish are top notch. Nobody bought them though, because nobody knew what the hell they were for and weren't about to part with 20k to take a punt. Now that they've depreciated like a rock and can be had for 5k, I'd say they're definitely worth a punt as a bit of fun for a year then flip it bike. They do look badass.

Also the combination of R1 running gear with a cruiser engine is meant to be like riding an old big-block corvette. If that makes sense. I've had a hardon for MT-01's for ages; the horsepower is admittedly pretty disappointing though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah it looks sweet and personally I wouldn't mind the lack of horsepower (it's got plenty of torque) but it sure is no Diavel. Can be had for a lot cheaper of course, though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

So I got sent to Japan for a month or so.

I've been here four days. I want to put nearly everything I see in a box and ship it back. Why can't the US get awesome 125s and 250s? I saw this bumblebee yellow 125 (judging by the pipe) sportbike go buzzing by. It was like 3/4 size of a ninja 250, and just flat-out awesome. 80's GP styling, good engine note. Small, sure, and the guy riding it was an American, so the bike seemed TINY. I immediately thought "that'd be about four tons of fun, and I want one."

The sparked comments from those around me were along the lines of "hurr, look at fat man on little bike" and "what's the point of that thing" and "looks like that guy has his sister's bike." Sad.

I see all these 125-400 thumpers ALL THE TIME, some are up to 3/4 faired, and I want them so badly. There's this parallel-twin Yamaha that passes me every day on my walk into work, and it's got an exhaust note like nothing I've ever heard. It's naked, and I walk past it parked about five minutes after it's shut off and the bike is just sitting there, pinging quietly in the cold, wanting to be wheelied off into the sunrise.

I'm going out with my camera this weekend and taking pictures of completely stupid bikes. There's apparently a bokozoku gang that goes past the apartment every Sunday.

AI note: there's a riced-out skyline in the parking lot, parked next to a Mine's Fairlady 350Z. The 2012 skyline GTR is almost background noise at this point.

Further subnote: It's impressive to note that I own a motorcycle with more displacement than roughly 1/3 of the cars in the parking lot. More storage space when carrying a passenger, too.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Christ, I've got a perfect storm of low price bikes on the local classifieds right now; We had the wettest, shittiest year on record last year, and it's not showing signs of abating. Everyone is dumping bikes. There's an RD400 going for £400, a KLX-650R for £600 and a road reg'd Honda MTX-125 for £695.

This month is meant to be bonus month and the accounts team are behind as per loving usual. I want to throttle them.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 1, 2013

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Motorcyclist Magazine (which I'm getting for free for some reason) had a page of Harbor Freight coupons last month, importantly a 20% off that doesn't expire until May and one for the nicer motorcycle wheel chock. Probably picking up the classic 4'x8' HF trailer this weekend so I can bring my Ducati from Ohio to North Carolina for the riding season (next month probably).

I'll write something up on building the trailer and setting it up for a motorcycle if anyone's interested.

I get Motorcyclist Magazine for free as well. I think mine's courtesy of cheapcycleparts.com when I ordered a stator and some other parts from them. No complaints from me!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I can't remember if it was on SA or another forum but someone posted about the HF trailer and its listed weight limit. Basically, stay under it and you're fine, go over it even a little and it falls apart. Should be a non-issue with a Ducati, might be one if you had a huge luxo tourer.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Everybody, would you buy a non-DCT Honda NC700X? Why or why not?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
NC700X: $7300 dollars after destination charge, ABS is $1500 more, 50 horsepower, nice built in storage, and 64 mpg.

Ninja 650: $7600, 65 horsepower, ABS available for $400 more, looks nicer, much sportier, about 45 mpg

I'd go with the Ninja personally. There's also the Versys for $8k but no ABS option. I would probably still go for the Versys over the NC700X.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Safetyland posted:

Everybody, would you buy a non-DCT Honda NC700X? Why or why not?

Have you ridden one? I hated it due to how slow and sluggish it felt to me. But then I ride a ZX-14R so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I hated the suspension and the non ABS brakes - it really should have 2 disks I think.

I would rather buy a used SV or V-Strom for ~4k.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Hey ZX-14 buddy! I thought I was the only goon with one. How long have you had yours?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

About a month, traded my Sprint in for it in Jan. Insurance on this thing is brutal - x4 what I paid for the Sprint.

Weather was driving me crazy for weeks, here in PA we had 2 weeks where every morning there would be maybe a quarter inch of snow in the morning so I couldn't take the bike in.

Traded the Sprint in because it just kept having problems that neither I nor the dealer could figure out (although dealer was more than happy to offer to throw more parts at it in $500 increments and 3 week wait times). Considered the NC700X, Concours, GSX1250 and the ZX-14R. Since the ZX-14R was just the worst possible choice for a commuter/touring bike I had to buy it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Cool, I've had mine a little over a month now too and have put about 600 miles on it. Insurance is pretty steep but I think most people get a break at age 25 so hopefully it'll go down in a few months. $100/month for good liability coverage and good ($200 deductible) theft/vandalism/acts of god coverage. I've seen wheels stolen off cars in my apartment complex so I figured theft coverage was important because it's just sitting out there under covered parking. I check it every day when I leave half expecting it to not be there.

I was cross shopping the new model Z1000 or a supermoto. I saw an awesome deal on my ZX14 and couldn't pass it up. Absolutely zero regrets about this bike.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I'm 30, no tickets, no accidents, paying $1260/year. Sprint was $325. This is the best rate I could get for a 2013 ZX-14R with full coverage (300k & 1k deductible).

I too am concerned about theft - never worried about it with the Sprint - but a brand new ZX-14 in Philly? Yeah getting an alarm disk lock before spring kicks in; it may not stop them from carrying it off in a minivan but at least it will really annoy them...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

That's pretty good. Comprehensive for me on a ZX14 is something ridiculous like an extra $250/month so it didn't make sense to get it.

The traction control and ABS the 2013 has sure would be nice for all these wet days around here. Do you like it on yours, or have you not had much of a chance to ride yet?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
A guy on the ADV forums managed to pick up a VFR 1200 for like $8k new. I'd look around and see what NoS dealers have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

hayden. posted:

That's pretty good. Comprehensive for me on a ZX14 is something ridiculous like an extra $250/month so it didn't make sense to get it.

The traction control and ABS the 2013 has sure would be nice for all these wet days around here. Do you like it on yours, or have you not had much of a chance to ride yet?

I've never felt the ABS on the ZX-14 yet, I've felt it plenty of times on the Sprint when practicing on it - in the 16k miles on the street that I'd say ABS has only really come in handy in about 4 cases and I don't think not having it would have resulted in a wreck. With that said, I absolutely love the fact that ABS makes stopping so mindless. I started out on the SV with no ABS and it really did take a lot of practice to learn just how much force you could apply to the front. I do sort of miss being able to do stoppies though..

I have no real experience with traction control on the ZX. I have only felt it kick in twice with traction set to 2 and I hardly think it was needed then. But with just around 800 miles I'm still taking it very very easy due to the break in period. I've only ridden it for commuting so far, the weather has not been nice enough for me to go riding just for the hell of it. I hope to hit 2k by end of March right around when it stats getting nice and the bike should certainly be fully broken in by then - even then I'm not sure I'm going to take it out of 2. Normally I'd take performance over safety, it's just that the ZX-14 has absurd power as is so I am unsure that even KTRAC 3 and L power would be much of an issue.

I don't know how much more adventurous I'll be with the bike in general. The Sprint was unable to break 156mph and it took effort to get any acceleration after 120. This thing hits 120 with no effort. The fact that the stock pipes make nearly no sound is actually making me go much faster than usual because I'm used to bikes being loud when going fast. It's also really nice 2 up, I do feel a difference in handling, but power or brakes feel about the same.

I have to say that I REALLY miss the heated grips from the Sprint...I would have bought the Connie but linked brakes and styling were too much of a turn off. Frankly it's the bike I should have sensibly bought; 3 year warranty($350 to extend 3 more years), shaft drive, still fast as hell - and insurable for $500 with same limits...

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 2, 2013