Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They should have put the 13B in the Miata and the 3.7l V6 from the Mustang(we can still be friends right?:911::japan:) in the RX-8 for a legit Mustang/Camaro/Gencoupe/350Z competitor.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

1791apparel posted:

The fact remains, if rotories were to disappear tomorrow, the only group that would likely know or care are rotary enthusiasts.

Mazda realizes this.

I would say that's rather circular reasoning, but that's a bit beyond the pale even for me

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe if someone made a rotary that didn't suck people would buy them :colbert:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Personally I'm a fan of radial engines and believe they should make a comeback.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Maybe if someone made a rotary that didn't suck people would buy them :colbert:

Also this. I want rotaries to succeed because they are cool and triangles are cool. But not enough to put up with burnign oil and making GBS threads apex seals every few years. Rotary range extenders for evs are a pretty cool concept too but good luck seeing that while Mazda constantly flirts with bankruptcy.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 26, 2014

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would say that's rather circular reasoning, but that's a bit beyond the pale even for me

I won't argue with that. Oddly enough the whole concept of successfully selling cars is circular as well. There needs to be an established market to market to.

It's true that once in a while a vehicle or concept comes along that creates our carves out a new niche, but it's been roughly 45 years for the rotary. All Mazda has to show for it is limited success.

I'd rather they invest resources in viable markets.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The essential ban on rotaries in motorsports probably doesn't help their development either.

That said, that rotary Mazda2 hybrid they showed last year was pretty cool and might actually be plausible. Especially if they license it out for other stuff like generators, etc.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 26, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How much money does Mazda the company actually make off of Rotards at this point?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Cream_Filling posted:

The essential ban on rotaries in motorsports probably doesn't help their development either.

That said, that rotary Mazda2 hybrid they showed last year was pretty cool and might actually be plausible. Especially if they license it out for other stuff like generators, etc.

Ban? Just off the top of my head you have an entire series (Formula Mazda) running them, they are allowed in LeMans again, and Mazda recently switched from the RX-8 to the diesel 6 in some GT series.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Brigdh posted:

Power per liter was the topic being debated. Whether or not it is relevant for a street application is a different debatable topic.

It wasn't. Displacement only plays a small part in an engine's overall weight and size, and HP/L is really nothing more than an interesting statistic to brag about. Trust me, I drive a Honda.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

It wasn't. Displacement only plays a small part in an engine's overall weight and size, and HP/L is really nothing more than an interesting statistic to brag about. Trust me, I drive a Honda.

All HP/L tells you is how high the engine revs (or how much boost its being fed). Bumping the redline of an engine up by 500 rpms is good for a solid 30HP on an N/A V6 or V8.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

All HP/L tells you is how high the engine revs (or how much boost its being fed). Bumping the redline of an engine up by 500 rpms is good for a solid 30HP on an N/A V6 or V8.

Not if you don't have the cam profile to match.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Brigdh posted:

Ban? Just off the top of my head you have an entire series (Formula Mazda) running them, they are allowed in LeMans again, and Mazda recently switched from the RX-8 to the diesel 6 in some GT series.

We've got a healthy ban in some off road racing. Some of it is due to the engine builder I work for who put more effort into the builds causing podium clean sweeps.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

Compression and combustion efficiency and other factors are at play as well, but you're pretty much correct in a simplified way. For example, the major apparent difference between the MZR in my old NC Miata and the K20 in my Civic Si is that the latter has another 1000 RPM to work with.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Don't rotaries also effectively have two intake cycles per rotation, making measuring their displacement kinda tricky?

I'm pretty sure the 787B was classed at LeMans at twice the displacement Mazda would measure it at, making the hp/l masturbation much more hilarious.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, I've heard many people argue that the 13B is a 2.6L motor instead of a 1.3L one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just seen this on Jalopnik. Remember the Cadillac "poolside" advert for the ELR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJSI48gkFc

Shots fired, as I believe the kids say nowadays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAN61QK0aUI

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Jesus that might be more embarrassing than the Cadillac one

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

At this point Chrysler could just hire Eminem to take a big steamy dump in the middle of a Detroit street and it would still be the best commercial of the three.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Jesus that might be more embarrassing than the Cadillac one
Yup

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like both... I'm weird.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cadillac's advertising has been pretty good the past few years, but that ad just comes off as some purestrain jingoism.

The Ford one is try-hard as gently caress, but it's fairly cute.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

At this point Chrysler could just hire Eminem to take a big steamy dump in the middle of a Detroit street and it would still be the best commercial of the three.

Then the lady from the ford commercial could come pick it up and make some FRESH SOIL!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Didn't they basically already do this with the old 200 ad? Well I guess they didnt' show Eminem making it but they showed some random workers doing it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Rebuttal: taken from a pub at 11:15 on a Tuesday. In August:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not a real ad.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I've heard many people argue that the 13B is a 2.6L motor instead of a 1.3L one.

They have a good argument too. The FIA has a equivancy factor of 1.8 for rotarys based on actual igntion volume per crank rotation, which is also how two stroke engines are worked out (actualyl resonably well accepted idea) - any less and you put the 13B into sub 2 litre and it simply rips those classes apart. I was circuit racing when the FIA decided to drop the equivalency factor to 1.3 and holy poo poo Rotarys dominated EVRYTHING sub 2 litre. You just could not even get top 10 in anything else, no matter how wild you made it.

It went 1.7 to 1.8 so fast it wasnt funny and there was a lot of politics in the background to restrict freedoms as well as oturight banning (restrict mods - Banning by making uncompetitve). A Rotary responds incredibly well to mods as it's actualyl a very restricted motor from the factory to a) ahut it up and b) drive down the emissions. Many of the basn and restrictions still remain in place because in Improved Production, a drat near 40 year old car like the RX7 can make a mess of plenty of modern cars. The FD carries substansial weight penalities in some classes as it's still (like the Integra Type R) just that much better in race trim than comparible newer cars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 3 Rotor RX-8s in Grand-Am were the most ear-piercingly loud things I have ever heard in my life. They were significantly louder than the Daytona Prototypes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do forced-induction rotaries get a rotary equivalence factor and a forced induction equivalence factor compounded together or what?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Just seen this on Jalopnik. Remember the Cadillac "poolside" advert for the ELR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJSI48gkFc

That dude's suit is sharp as hell.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

angryhampster posted:

That dude's suit is sharp as hell.

That dude is sharp as hell, he was extremely awesome (and creepy) on Justified, season 3.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Phone posted:

Not a real ad.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I know a number of vocal people like to poo poo all over P1 cars, but Toyota's new TS040 is underpants-on-head crazy:

quote:

The previous 3.4-liter V8 has been replaced by a 3.7-liter V8 developing 513 horsepower, and the new engine is coupled to an Aisin AW electric motor at the front, a Denso electric motor at the rear and a Nisshinbo super-capacitor that combine to kick out an extra 473 hp, giving the system a combined output of nearly 1,000 horsepower while consuming 25 percent less fuel than last year's car. It also gives the TS040 all-wheel drive to help channel all that power to the road.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Its predecessor sounds like a TIE fighter with an afterburner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFShHZv4wk

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tesla S is getting free body armor.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/shields-up-tesla-model-s-gains-free-titanium-and-aluminum-armor-upgrade/

Those demonstration gifs are amazing. I particularly like Tesla vs. Alternator.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

bull3964 posted:

Tesla S is getting free body armor.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/shields-up-tesla-model-s-gains-free-titanium-and-aluminum-armor-upgrade/

Those demonstration gifs are amazing. I particularly like Tesla vs. Alternator.

They need to make that push rivet out of the same materials as the armour :downsrim:

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 29, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cancelbot posted:

They need to make that push rivet out of the same materials as the armour :downsrim:
Seriously, when I saw that I was wondering whether that was supposed to be an example of the car falling apart without the armor. Good job, way to make it look lovely.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I think the idea is, in the unlikely event of running over a trailer hitch or alternator, the armor will hold up and protect the undercarriage of the car at the expense of maybe having to replace a 20 cent plastic clip. That's an ok trade.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

I think the idea is, in the unlikely event of running over a trailer hitch or alternator, the armor will hold up and protect the undercarriage of the car at the expense of maybe having to replace a 20 cent plastic clip. That's an ok trade.

and then the driver will drive 80 miles to the dealer to investigate a noise and bright white sparks shooting out from under their car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Its predecessor sounds like a TIE fighter with an afterburner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFShHZv4wk

I saw a Fisker Karma in the flesh today up close. It sounds incredibly strange, like a drat space ship or something, I couldn't wrap my head around it :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That sound it makes + the styling are about the only good things to come out of Fisker it seems like.