Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VolticSurge posted:

Still haven't seen that episode, which,according to some of my friends, is the one good episode of TTG. What was it called,again?

“The Cape”.

Also I was just reminded of a different episode “Employee of the Month: Redux”. It’s a remake of the original show’s “Employee of the Month”. Unlike most of the episodes that reference the original show, Redux plays it relatively straight. I think their point was “Look, haters! You can literally drop in an episode of Teen Titans and it won’t feel out of place at all, TTG isn’t actually that different!” except they used the silliest episode of the original series. It’s an interesting concept, at least.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

lelandjs posted:

“The Cape”.

Also I was just reminded of a different episode “Employee of the Month: Redux”. It’s a remake of the original show’s “Employee of the Month”. Unlike most of the episodes that reference the original show, Redux plays it relatively straight. I think their point was “Look, haters! You can literally drop in an episode of Teen Titans and it won’t feel out of place at all, TTG isn’t actually that different!” except they used the silliest episode of the original series. It’s an interesting concept, at least.

They made the ending more TTG-ish though in that, but the larger plot points were more or less played out the same way.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I get that TTG isn't meant to be like the original and it's merely its own thing. When it comes down to it, you have the concept of the show and characters, and you work around it to make the execution of the concept really appealing and effective.

Teen Titans was an episodic series and they showed character development and relationships between Robin and Starfire, Beast Boy and Raven, Robin vs Slade, etc. TTG is a series where the characters do wacky situations every episode just like Spongebob Squarepants (I suppose you could argue TTG is CN's answer to Spongebob), again you have the same concept, same characters and...that's it really. There's nothing to really progress the show or character development because you're working on a comedy show where wacky stuff happens like Raven's dad wants to do something or Cyborg and Beast Boy want to do something cool together. Whether the fans like it or not, that's what TTG is and nothing is going to change it or take it off the air.

I think the fans of the original show and the writers of TTG are just getting fired up at each other for nothing and they're both in a feud where no-one really wins, it's not helping anyone so why keep doing it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Beating up on nerds has become the hip new thing, probably solely because they're the softest possible targets.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Junior Jr. posted:

I get that TTG isn't meant to be like the original and it's merely its own thing. When it comes down to it, you have the concept of the show and characters, and you work around it to make the execution of the concept really appealing and effective.

Teen Titans was an episodic series and they showed character development and relationships between Robin and Starfire, Beast Boy and Raven, Robin vs Slade, etc. TTG is a series where the characters do wacky situations every episode just like Spongebob Squarepants (I suppose you could argue TTG is CN's answer to Spongebob), again you have the same concept, same characters and...that's it really. There's nothing to really progress the show or character development because you're working on a comedy show where wacky stuff happens like Raven's dad wants to do something or Cyborg and Beast Boy want to do something cool together. Whether the fans like it or not, that's what TTG is and nothing is going to change it or take it off the air.

I think the fans of the original show and the writers of TTG are just getting fired up at each other for nothing and they're both in a feud where no-one really wins, it's not helping anyone so why keep doing it?

Last I checked, most of the writers of TTG were people on the old show. I don't think it's really a feud for them, it's simply funny.

The entire basis of the show is that the characters act as exaggerated version of the traits the old show didn't acknowledge. Robin WAS a weird control freak, the old show just wasn't self aware enough to acknowledge it, etc.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Apparently the trailer for the next season of Voltron is dropping either today or tomorrow.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nodosaur posted:

The Ninja Turtles episode was about how the Turtles, a bunch of characters who'd been around since the 80's, were totally ripping off their goofy teen heroes who totally love pizza thing.

Uh yeah, you literally got that backwards.
It was also a meta thing since Beast Boy's VA was the same as Michaelangelo in the TMNT series that was running at the time.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Beating up on nerds has become the hip new thing, probably solely because they're the whiniest possible targets.

Ftfy

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Captain Oblivious posted:

Last I checked, most of the writers of TTG were people on the old show. I don't think it's really a feud for them, it's simply funny.

A lot of the season 1 writers were, but not the showrunners (one of which worked on the MAD cartoon, the other was also co-showrunner on Batman:BatB and Thundercats 2011) nor some of the later writers (most prominently Ben Gruber, one of the co-creators of superjail, who now has been writing some really weird post-2nd movie spongebob eps)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Thinking about it, I'm surprised that I was concerned that they were writing off Cassandra in Tangled because of maybe the actor was hard to work with or something with the excuse in the final episode, because it's been foreshadowed since literally episode 1.

Literally. Episode 1.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

raditts posted:

Uh yeah, you literally got that backwards.
It was also a meta thing since Beast Boy's VA was the same as Michaelangelo in the TMNT series that was running at the time.

If the episode was meant to be something where the Titans were in the wrong, there'd be some kind of juxtaposition, some way of highlighting the irony instead of just playing the concept straight. You can't just throw out a premise and say it's satire.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think they're kind of just trusting the audience's intelligence on that one instead of outright saying it. Like, that's one thing I will absolutely give TTG that pretty much singlehandedly justifies its existence: it never, ever, ever talks down to its kid audience or assumes only idiots are watching. I mean, they did an episode that's a PSA on how to develop real estate, for gently caress's sake.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not really a matter of respecting the audience's intelligence. If that's the aim, then where's the punch line? Just having the Titans show up and beat up the turtles lacks one. The whole premise is delivered without a hint of irony, the jokes are just at the other franchise's expense.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The premise has nothing to do with the Titans "copying" somebody's schtick; it's about how they only care about pizza.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The only bad TTG episode is the one about waffles

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Beating up on nerds has become the hip new thing, probably solely because they're the softest possible targets.

dunking on nerds has always been a thing in cartoons. see Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons and that "Please get a life foundation" bit from Animaniacs

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/chrischoughton/status/1004085258302599168?s=19

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Nodosaur posted:

The show is ridiculously popular at this point and they've more or less beaten the haters of it. And yet even the new movie is about how no one likes the Titans or accepts them for who they are.

At some point you'd think they'd let it go but they keep going back to "THE NERDS DON'T LIKE US" well even after doing multiple episodes about it.

Considering what you've posted, it's actually you that can't let it go lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

The show is ridiculously popular at this point and they've more or less beaten the haters of it. And yet even the new movie is about how no one likes the Titans or accepts them for who they are.

At some point you'd think they'd let it go but they keep going back to "THE NERDS DON'T LIKE US" well even after doing multiple episodes about it.

If you think they've beaten the haters off of it you clearly haven't seen any comment section of any video/article even remotely about the show. Like I agree that the show might jab at its haters in background gags a little too much but only a few of the actual episodes focus on material that could be conveyed as dunking on haters unless you're actively looking for evidence of jabs in which case I'd say confirmation bias is misleading you.

I don't know based on most I've met I think nerds are pretty soft targets. :rimshot:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teen Titans Go's main sources of inspiration for episodes are spite and food.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So hey I don't think I saw this posted here but in case you had any faith in humanity:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I get that people are complaining that these recent cartoons are following some sort of "calarts style", but I think they're really complaining about the "new wave" of calarts style. Hopefully I can make sense of what's going on here.

Obviously when animators like Craig McCracken, Genndy Tartakovsky, Brad Bird, Paul Rudish, Stephen Hillenburg, etc. all were educated in Calarts, they went on to make classic memorable cartoons like Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Spongebob, Samurai Jack, Foster's Home, and Brad went on to make The Iron Giant and the Incredibles. Then you have the "second wave" of Calarts students (sometime around the late 90's to early 2000s) and they would work on other shows like Kim Possible, Teen Titans, KND, Ben 10, My Life as a Teenage Robot, etc. And now we have I'm assuming the "third wave" of Calarts students, from the likes of Alex Hirsch, Dana Terrace, Daron Nefcy, Pendleton Ward, J.G. Quintel, and while those alumni are being praised for their recent cartoons, others might be getting denounced for making bland mediocre art and animation which may have led to fans, nerds, complainers branding all of them for using "calarts style".

In conclusion, many people online simply hate this new third wave of Calarts students and the animation that's come from them and why they're getting in hissy fits over recent cartoons following a trend or a similar design. Of course I don't see Calarts as a school full of bad or mediocre artists and animators because that assumption is ridiculous, but I think it's clear that times have changed and Calarts isn't what it used to be 25 years ago.

TwoPair posted:

So hey I don't think I saw this posted here but in case you had any faith in humanity:

sometimes autistic retards try to go too far on tweeting against whoever they hate and it doesn't help anyone ever.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 6, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Junior Jr. posted:

sometimes autistic retards try to go too far on tweeting against whoever they hate and it doesn't help anyone ever.

wow very cool of you to use autist as an insult, really makes me want to listen to your opinion

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It's not even exclusively CalArts where the style's coming from. There's plenty of people from others schools like MCAD (like the Infinity Train and Thundercats Roar guys) and SVA (like Rebecca Sugar and Ian JQ) that are also using the style too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junior Jr. posted:

In conclusion, many people online simply hate this new third wave of Calarts students and the animation that's come from them and why they're getting in hissy fits over recent cartoons following a trend or a similar design. Of course I don't see Calarts as a school full of bad or mediocre artists and animators because that assumption is ridiculous, but I think it's clear that times have changed and Calarts isn't what it used to be 25 years ago.

Art is subjective etc etc but I actually really like the character designs on pretty much every show out there currently (yes that includes Thundercats Roar!) outside of, like, Mighty Magiswords. What I dislike is how much leeway is currently given to board artists--I really appreciate consistency in character designs and a lot of shows these days let the board artists take some extraordinary liberties with the characters and animation. I know that's a ridiculous complaint, and allowing artists creative freedom is usually a good thing, but Steven's eye shape and size varying between episodes is something I can't help but notice when watching episodes back to back.

I'd almost rather that the show's entire visual style varied between artists because at least it would be consistent on a per-episode basis. Bob's Burgers had an episode where they changed the character designs based on online submissions and they redrew the backgrounds to fit the character designs better. While it was still really jarring, it worked a lot better than if they had just thrown the different designs behind the usual backgrounds.

Anyway, that's my current "third wave CalArts show" nitpick. But I'm not publicly bitching at the showrunners and throwing death threats their way about it because I'm a reasonable person. Hell I don't even think I've talked about it anywhere before now.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It's really only Steven Universe and OK KO (and to a lesser extent Adventure Time and two specific board artists on Uncle Grandpa) that do this. Those two shows even have to have in their style guides notes to the korean animators to go ahead and hew to the boards more closely than the model sheets: from what's been posted online, Star Vs boarders are roughly as varied stylistically as SU boarders, but even the episodes animated at studios that hand draw their animation are consistent between different teams.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The entire basis of the show is that the characters act as exaggerated version of the traits the old show didn't acknowledge. Robin WAS a weird control freak, the old show just wasn't self aware enough to acknowledge it, etc.

It kinda did, though? A ton of Robin episodes where about him losing his poo poo to various degrees because he's (unspokenly) trying so drat hard to be Batman mixed with standard shonen hero traits. (Might say something that he manages to beat the Titans effortlessly in his much more playful and mischevious Red X persona, before the suit got nicked) It hasn't held up great in a lot of ways, but pretty much every character has an episode or two about struggling with their personal issues and self-perception, as befitting teenagers. (Starfire's puberty episode might be almost too on the nose if it wasn't hilariously ridiculously out there)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The difference between TT Robin and TTG Robin is less about "acknowledging" Robin's flaws, and more about making it very explicit that Robin is a terrible person and a terrible friend.

(Every other character on TTG is basically a good-natured exaggeration of their original personality; Robin is the only exception to this rule and I think it's intentional.)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It kinda did, though? A ton of Robin episodes where about him losing his poo poo to various degrees because he's (unspokenly) trying so drat hard to be Batman mixed with standard shonen hero traits. (Might say something that he manages to beat the Titans effortlessly in his much more playful and mischevious Red X persona, before the suit got nicked) It hasn't held up great in a lot of ways, but pretty much every character has an episode or two about struggling with their personal issues and self-perception, as befitting teenagers. (Starfire's puberty episode might be almost too on the nose if it wasn't hilariously ridiculously out there)

I remember one episode where he was taught by a bunch of martial artist animals to take it easier. The blind serpent was particularly cool to me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Netflix has a new animated show called The Hollow and aside from it looking like a cast-off of Total Drama Flash Animation, seems like it's also an off-brand Jumanji with a whiff of Saw.

Anyone catch it yet?

Uhhhh... Looks like there's a baddie/antagonist/mysterious stranger that's... Frankenstein Milo Yiannopoulis??? :whut:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 8, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Looks more like purple Daredevil

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

Looks more like purple Daredevil

Killgrave the Purpleman is a Daredevil enemy originally.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TwoPair posted:

If you think they've beaten the haters off of it you clearly haven't seen any comment section of any video/article even remotely about the show. Like I agree that the show might jab at its haters in background gags a little too much but only a few of the actual episodes focus on material that could be conveyed as dunking on haters unless you're actively looking for evidence of jabs in which case I'd say confirmation bias is misleading you.

I mean, they're never going to really stop those kinds of videos from being made. The idea that they don't have anything to prove has more to do with series' relative success and prominence. I mean who has the more advantageous position in the end, the youtube videos or the one that has a movie coming out?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

FilthyImp posted:

Netflix has a new animated show called The Hollow and aside from it looking like a cast-off of Total Drama Flash Animation, seems like it's also an off-brand Jumanji with a whiff of Saw.

Anyone catch it yet?

Uhhhh... Looks like there's a baddie/antagonist/mysterious stranger that's... Frankenstein Milo Yiannopoulis??? :whut:

I just finished watching this and it was a show. The Kai character was really annoying. The best part of the show was one character being unconscious for an episode and a half and the other two just carrying around his limp body the whole time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought the Hollow was OK. I liked the ending. Also after a certain point Kai becomes tolerable simply by being useful.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

i'm watching the Hollow and I find it strange in that they just seem to be wandering their world with more questions than answers. It feels like a cartoon version of Lost so far.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Anyone catch it yet?

I was thinking the show reminded me of Saw and the Cube in the very beginning, then a little bit of Predator and a generic video game, but I guess Jumanji fits better. I'm literally watching the first episode as I type, so IDK, 'seems interesting.

Basically, it reminds me of a bunch of more adult shows, movies, games, etc., but with a kid friendly veneer.

Space Robot fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 10, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It was always on shaky ground (Being the only good and ongoing thing in the sub-franchise) but from all indications Sonic Boom's cartoon is done

Honestly the entire franchise sort of fell flat on its face with the game so it was always more a case of "when" rather than "If".

The fact it got the CN Treatment for being a bought in show and not more Teen Titans Go slots absolutely didn't help matters.

Oh well, ashes to ashes and all that.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 11, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cartoon Network aired a bunch of new episodes of Clarence yesterday, I guess they're burning off the last of the batch?

Clarence has really grown on me, the character designs and voices grated on me at first but the humor is great.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I watched a lot of the JL Action shorts on YouTube. They're good, but I just don't buy Mark Hamill as Swamp Thing. Swamp thing ought to sound like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Probably old news, but Miraculous has been confirmed as renewed up to (at least) season five. Though considering how long it's taking them just to finish season two, that's a lot of work still to do!

Also confirmed for upcoming episode 'Queen Wasp': turns out Miraculous holders can be akumatised... even in their superhero form. Dammit, Chloe! You've hosed everything up again!