Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iostream.h posted:

Granted, I DID specify 'NRftW', not the rest of it all. ;)

Like I mentioned, John Christ is the guy to listen to for lots of pinch harmonics bordering on annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

field balm posted:

Bazz fuss, electra distortion, LPB or Muff fuzz (not a big muff) are the general first project recs. All like A handful of components.

The LPB and Electra are two of my favorite pedals to boot

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

The LPB and Electra are two of my favorite pedals to boot

Yep! Everyone should have an LPB. I don't really love the sound of the electra but everyone should breadboard it just to play with different clipping diodes/leds and stuff.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I signed up at one point for what I thought was going to be a BIAS desktop beta test. Today I get an e-mail with a code in it. Hooray I think.

Enter my code and then...

I guess I will be trying the demo first. It is cool though that you can share your amp designs between platforms and download other people's amps.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

Pinch harmonics is one of many reasons why playing with jazz IIIs is like using a cheat code.

e: if you really want to get good with pinch harmonics learn to do them without a pick

Same with the big triangle shaped claytons. And doing "artificial" harmonics without a pick really does teach you how they work and where you should pick for them as that's where the harmonic node is.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Picked up another '60s Gretsch Corvette body to build another spec guitar. Let me know if you're interested, people. We probably won't get to it for a while.

Nice seeing these old big slabs of mahogany. I doubt we'll ever see wood like that again.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

field balm posted:

Yep! Everyone should have an LPB. I don't really love the sound of the electra but everyone should breadboard it just to play with different clipping diodes/leds and stuff.

A lot of my favorite pedals are based off of Electras so while the basic circuit might not be much you can build it up into some cool poo poo. Right now I'm using a Red Llama which is based off of an Electra iirc

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm playing with the idea of getting a project-guitar to mess around with pickup configuration and whatnot. I got my heart set on a tele and a 500$ budget (but it can be cheaper).

So far I've looked at Squier Affinity, Squier Classic Vibe, some of the cheaper G&L Asat-models.

What would you get in that situation?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It's NGD at Casa Wengy. drat, Ron Kirn is my hero. This thing plays INSANELY well. I am not worthy, not worthy at all. Just some quick iPhone-snaps for now:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Unf. And I don't even *like* flaming OR sunburst.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Pondex posted:

I'm playing with the idea of getting a project-guitar to mess around with pickup configuration and whatnot. I got my heart set on a tele and a 500$ budget (but it can be cheaper).

So far I've looked at Squier Affinity, Squier Classic Vibe, some of the cheaper G&L Asat-models.

Squier CV 50s or Custom (depending on whether you want brass or steel bridge barrels) tele. I don't think the G&L Tributes offer that much over a CV, particularly if you're not going to be sticking with the G&L MFD pickups. That said, if you're looking at something other than the traditional tele pickup layout, the G&Ls do have a number of options routed for humbuckers or P90s that Squier doesn't.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Went into a shop today to start researching necks again. I won't go into what I didn't like, but what I did... American Deluxe Strat with a Fender "Soft V" satin neck on it, compound radius. Holy crap was it nice. It was forcing my hand around and putting my fingers up over the frets, and was supporting that thumb/palm joint nicely.

I also played an American thinline deluxe Tele that sounded like pure heaven, but man that Strat...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wengy posted:

It's NGD at Casa Wengy. drat, Ron Kirn is my hero. This thing plays INSANELY well. I am not worthy, not worthy at all. Just some quick iPhone-snaps for now:

Three thousand dollars to spend on a guitar, two hundred and fifty dollars to spend on a twin sized bed.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Hey, that bed is an awesome antique, and comfortable as gently caress!!!!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You could at least have made the bed.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

tbf I don't really sleep in it, I mostly use it for work

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Do the johns leave their money on the dresser, or is it a pay before you pump kinda deal?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I obviously have them pay upfront so I don't get ripped off, how else do you think I got the money for that guitar

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Pondex posted:

MIM Tele.
It'll have better resale than the Squier and the components themselves with be better. Other than that, not a HUGE difference between them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Wengy posted:

holey moley

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Thanks Amazon, but I'm not quite sure how a nice overdrive or delay is going to land me more trout. :downs:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
It's telling you that you need more bass. :coolfish:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

iostream.h posted:

MIM Tele.
It'll have better resale than the Squier and the components themselves with be better. Other than that, not a HUGE difference between them.

Some people are saying the new Classic Vibes are better than MIM fenders. I've really enjoyed my CV tele.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Schpyder posted:

That said, if you're looking at something other than the traditional tele pickup layout, the G&Ls do have a number of options routed for humbuckers or P90s that Squier doesn't.

Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom (H neck, S bridge) and VM Tele Deluxe (HH) are on par with the Classic Vibe line, in my opinion. Pretty sure there is a Vintage Modified with dual P90s also.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Pondex posted:

I'll save you some time, the best Telecaster pickup config/wiring is cocked wah Esquire :colbert:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cojawfee posted:

Some people are saying the new Classic Vibes are better than MIM fenders. I've really enjoyed my CV tele.

Mine is much better than the couple of MIM Teles I've played. I even like it more than an American deluxe one I played a year or so ago. There's nothing I don't consider borderline flawless about it outside of the input jack and that's really just a Tele thing. Very easy fix if it gets loose.

I wanted to sit out from repping the CVs but I can't do it. They're so good. I'm even swapping out my BKPs soon because I like the cheap stock pickups more.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Cojawfee posted:

Fair enough, I've been looking at them lately and the metal in particular seems to be much nicer on the MIM, but I'm in no way an authority on those.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I finally got around to trying flats on my 69 Thinline & I love them. Something about the way they emphasize the semi-hollow character makes me want to play gypsy jazz even though I don't know how. One thing I was wondering: do people just replace the high E & B when they start getting gross? I use flats on my bass so I'm used to leaving strings on for years but wasn't sure whether that applied to guitar flats too.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Pondex posted:

When you say 'pickup configuration' do you mean switching in humbuckers? I've seen some reports that the Classic Vibe Custom has humbucker routing in the neck position, so you'd only need to get a new pickguard instead of routing your body.

If you're still working out the electronics, the Bill Lawrence site has some interesting configurations you might find inspiring! The stock pickups on a lot of Squiers are great IMO, and it's really easy to work on the electronics so you're in for a great time.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I can confirm that my CV has the humbucker neck route; but I haven't checked the bridge route, but I'd be surprised if it's routed for anything other than the standard tele bridge.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

When you say 'pickup configuration' do you mean switching in humbuckers? I've seen some reports that the Classic Vibe Custom has humbucker routing in the neck position, so you'd only need to get a new pickguard instead of routing your body.

If you're still working out the electronics, the Bill Lawrence site has some interesting configurations you might find inspiring! The stock pickups on a lot of Squiers are great IMO, and it's really easy to work on the electronics so you're in for a great time.

I plan to do all kinds of messing around with this guitar. Experimenting with the pickup-wiring, maybe routing the neck for a p-90 and playing around with component-values. I have access to a metal-workshop so I might try to machine a brass bridge-plate or a nut.

Eventually I'd like to build an electric from (near)-scratch, so this is a learning-project.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Pondex posted:

Experimenting with the pickup-wiring, maybe routing the neck for a p-90

http://www.fender.com/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-telecaster-special-maple-fingerboard-butterscotch-blonde/

These have a "Jazzmaster" neck pickup that is actually closer to a P90. I had one for a while (turns out, I prefer comfort cut models) and loved it. With two small drill holes for the height adjusters, you can install a neck humbucker in the same spot with only buying a pickguard. Pretty versatile.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 16, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Bunk posted:

I finally got around to trying flats on my 69 Thinline & I love them. Something about the way they emphasize the semi-hollow character makes me want to play gypsy jazz even though I don't know how. One thing I was wondering: do people just replace the high E & B when they start getting gross? I use flats on my bass so I'm used to leaving strings on for years but wasn't sure whether that applied to guitar flats too.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I can't decide the best thing to do. I keep my hands clean and dry before playing and make sure to wipe my strings after so my chromes have lasted a long time. The flats last forever. If I run into problems I could see picking up extra strings for the plains but at this point I haven't had to.

I'm very addicted to these though. Every time I grab a guitar with rounds they feel weird to me, and the sound is too noisy. I'm thinking of switching my JMJM from nyxl 10s to 11 chromes soon so that should be fun. The guitar has unbelievably smooth action with minimal buzzing at the moment but the flats + the basswood body and electronics should sound amazing. Can't wait to try some surf with that setup.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Got a line on a '68 Deluxe Reverb for $575. It's a two hour drive, but how can I pass that up!?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

jwh posted:

Got a line on a '68 Deluxe Reverb for $575. It's a two hour drive, but how can I pass that up!?

Well if its a bunk deal it would cost way more than 2 hours time to figure that out and get it returned.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
have y'all ever installed an earvana nut aftermarket? i had two guitars a fairly long time ago with them and remember liking them a lot so i was wondering if it was worth changing over to if it didn't come pre-installed

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

muike posted:

have y'all ever installed an earvana nut aftermarket? i had two guitars a fairly long time ago with them and remember liking them a lot so i was wondering if it was worth changing over to if it didn't come pre-installed

I've done GraphTech TUSQ XL swaps on my Strat and my beater acoustic now, nut and saddle(s) on both. The Taylor came with it. So you could say I'm kind of a fanboy at this point. I encourage the swap.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
well i'm pretty used to graphtech nuts but i haven't really heard anyone mention earvana in quite a long time

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Yeebus this man with an acoustic. That tuning peg thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008

Wengy posted:

Love the guitar and the Titanic magazine.