Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It looks grainy because that image quality is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Really my only visual complaint is it seemed drat near impossible to center the viewpoint after rotating it, in IVDS. I thought pressing both shoulder buttons at once would do it, but I couldn't get that to work for the life of me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Imagine thinking the DS version of 5 is in any way less than perfect.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DS and Mobile have Debora, who is Best Wife, so they automatically win.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For me I simply prefer a tighter 2d pixel art style. The platonic ideal of DQ for me would be all the improvements of the DS version in the graphical style of its original release.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm interested in the 2D for 11. It looks nice, from what I've seen.

Given I wasn't too terribly enthused by 8 and 9, and was dead broke when it originally dropped, I didn't play it until the demo for Switch. And considering I was "What? No. I want more." when the demo cut me off, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this entry. The 2D looking good is a bonus.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Really my only visual complaint is it seemed drat near impossible to center the viewpoint after rotating it, in IVDS. I thought pressing both shoulder buttons at once would do it, but I couldn't get that to work for the life of me.
It does this in 6 for certain, I wonder if it's like a party talk thing and only added later

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As much as I feel that the "2D sprites on a 3D background" aesthetic should be reserved for Paper Mario and other games where the intent is to look like a child's diorama, I do feel like it was an improvement over the NES version's aesthetic simply due to the lack of technical limitations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm playing DQB2 and just got to the prison and I'm losing steam pretty quickly. How long is this section, and does it get less tedious?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm playing DQB2 and just got to the prison and I'm losing steam pretty quickly. How long is this section, and does it get less tedious?

Not that long but longer than it needs to. It picks up again afterwards but opinions are split again over how long that pickup lasts.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Expect My Mom posted:

It does this in 6 for certain, I wonder if it's like a party talk thing and only added later
I just booted my copy of the game up to test, and it does work. I don't know why AngryRobotsInc couldn't get it to work, barring a problem with their shoulder buttons.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I just booted my copy of the game up to test, and it does work. I don't know why AngryRobotsInc couldn't get it to work, barring a problem with their shoulder buttons.

Lord knows that was probably it. It wasn't exactly a spring chicken of a DS when I played it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AngryRobotsInc posted:

DS and Mobile have Debora, who is Best Wife, so they automatically win.

This post is canon.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

DoubleDonut posted:

I wish Square-Enix would release their old games without making them look like poo poo

this is worse than RPGMaker

I would totally play this as long as it runs at 60fps.

I bought FFV on Steam, found it ran at 30fps and promptly refunded it. The DS/mobile ports of DQ 4-6 get a pass because 3D (the battle animations are smooth enough).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

This post is canon.

I made the mistake of marrying Bianca and she really wants you to know that she's a country bumpkin out of her depth. All the time.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SettingSun posted:

I made the mistake of marrying Bianca and she really wants you to know that she's a country bumpkin out of her depth. All the time.

Deborah shows a lot of character development from a Rich Bitch to a much more caring wife. It’s not super original or anything but it’s cool to witness. She’s also a monster in battle with double-hitting acrylic nails and being able to use the Hela Hammer. I think she can use Oomph too.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SettingSun posted:

"Hey, remember that time we went ghost busting? Because I do. And I am going to bring it up. A lot."

ETA: I think a lot of my beef with Bianca is spite as well. The game really wants me to feel like this chick I kinda knew when I was younger and haven't seen in a decade or so is my One True Love Forever and Ever. Screw you, game, I do what I want.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
That's osananajimi

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

mikeycp posted:

That's osananajimi

Oh yeah, I know the trope. I just think said trope can take a long walk off a short pier.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I just started Dragon Quest Builders 2. Between the sound effects and the glider, are they copying Breath of the Wild? Or is this common stuff in JRPGs?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Bob Socko posted:

I just started Dragon Quest Builders 2. Between the sound effects and the glider, are they copying Breath of the Wild? Or is this common stuff in JRPGs?

The sound effects are very much signature Dragon Quest sound effects. The glider, though? Yeah, that's lifted straight out of BOTW.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Hokuto posted:

The sound effects are very much signature Dragon Quest sound effects. The glider, though? Yeah, that's lifted straight out of BOTW.

In fairness, more games should have gliders.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HPanda posted:

In fairness, more games should have gliders.

Oh yeah, absolutely. It was a good pull to make for sure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DalaranJ posted:

Dragon Quest 1 is a game where you get to draw your own maps. From that perspective, the major flaw of the prebalance fix game is that there’s a huge chunk of the game around level 15 with no dungeons to explore.

At level 15 I'm pretty sure it's time to start diving in Charlock and beat the Dragonlord once you hit 17 and pickup Healmore.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Question: Is ~$50 US the starting price for DQXI Switch, or is it some kind of a pre-order incentive close to when Amazon gave a 20% discount on new games (the end of that is why I cancelled Prime, in fact)? DQ is one of a handful of franchises that I buy every new release from, but I'm hesitant to buy this game on day one because of concerns over technical issues.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MSRP for DQXIS is $60, so Amazon's 49.49 is a pre-order discount.

Seems absolutely worth it. Not even a Switch tax since they added so much to it.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Question: Is ~$50 US the starting price for DQXI Switch, or is it some kind of a pre-order incentive close to when Amazon gave a 20% discount on new games (the end of that is why I cancelled Prime, in fact)? DQ is one of a handful of franchises that I buy every new release from, but I'm hesitant to buy this game on day one because of concerns over technical issues.

You do realize this game has a 5+ hour demo which you can continue into the main game, right? There's zero risk here, and it's a very good game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Azathoth256 posted:

You do realize this game has a 5+ hour demo which you can continue into the main game, right? There's zero risk here, and it's a very good game.

I don't think you quite understand. I'm not debating the quality of the game, but I've gotten burned on technically poor Switch ports of games and I wanted to know if the price was just for pre-orders, in which case I take a risk, or if I could wait until release, see if it's working out well and then buy one. Apparently it's going to go up the very day that it comes out, which is what I wanted to know.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There were reports of crashing but that got traced to the boost mode. I played through the demo and didn't have any problems.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I imagine the long rear end demo should give a clue as to whether you'll encounter crashes or if the performance isn't up to your liking. I personally wouldn't pre-order a Switch port of a game like this until I saw real hands-on reviews. Too much hype going around before games are released.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Detective No. 27 posted:

There were reports of crashing but that got traced to the boost mode. I played through the demo and didn't have any problems.

They patched the demo to reduce crashes anyway. Judging from the demo, it's a really good port.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I had two instances where it crashed, and both were in cutscenes where the game was waiting for me to advance dialog and I put the game down to do something else. It seemed extremely specific to that kind of state in the game, and both involved the game sitting idle for a couple of minutes, so I guess don't do that if you can help it? Other than that it ran great.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

At level 15 I'm pretty sure it's time to start diving in Charlock and beat the Dragonlord once you hit 17 and pickup Healmore.

It must be earlier then, what level do you beat garinheim?

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't think you quite understand. I'm not debating the quality of the game, but I've gotten burned on technically poor Switch ports of games and I wanted to know if the price was just for pre-orders, in which case I take a risk, or if I could wait until release, see if it's working out well and then buy one. Apparently it's going to go up the very day that it comes out, which is what I wanted to know.

Sorry, my assumption was that there wouldn't be a significant performance difference between the demo and the full release. That's not necessarily guaranteed though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Azathoth256 posted:

Sorry, my assumption was that there wouldn't be a significant performance difference between the demo and the full release. That's not necessarily guaranteed though.

No, it isn't, thus my concern. The other side of the coin is that I don't want to hold off, turns out that the game is rock-solid, then end up either having to wait months or eat the additional 10+ dollars.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I'm doing the Dragovian Trials in the 3DS remake of 8, and I like how Morrie is just perfectly designed to skullfuck the Lord of Dragovians

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
In XI, what's the recommended level for the first Drustan Labyrinth boss? Or is he just RNG with the Harma rules no matter what?

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 22, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

In XI, what's the recommended level for the first Drustan Labyrinth boss? Or is he just RNG with the Harma rules no matter what?

Depends on your set up but I feel like I managed it fine around level 63-ish. Sap it's defense with a skill or spell, Oomph your physical attackers and just go to town.

But I can't remember super clearly, I think that it's something like a 25 turn limit to pass?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Super early-game XI spoilers, but what kind of dumbass do you have to be to make the leap of logic from "oh the evil lord and legendary hero appear around the same time" to "welp guess I'll throw the legendary hero in the dungeon"? Like the evil lord's going to say "No hero? Guess I'll postpone my plans to take over the world" instead of "Thanks for getting rid of the only one who can oppose me, idiot, I'll be sure to violently conquer your kingdom last". Hoping it gets a proper explanation later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It will