Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think having Terry McGinnis as the voice of Seifer was cool and all but man oh man did they gently caress up everything else.

Did KH do anything good with any FF character it touched? Turning Yuna, Rikku and Paine into little floating fairy things was less offensive than KH Seifer and Cloud I guess but I still wouldn't call it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NikkolasKing posted:

Did KH do anything good with any FF character it touched? Turning Yuna, Rikku and Paine into little floating fairy things was less offensive than KH Seifer and Cloud I guess but I still wouldn't call it good.

Squall Leon is much more likable in Kingdom Hearts than he was in his own game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I think having Terry McGinnis as the voice of Seifer was cool and all but man oh man did they gently caress up everything else.

Squall is about a thousand times better. Possibly because he was voiced by David Boreanaz.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

ImpAtom posted:

Squall is about a thousand times better. Possibly because he was voiced by David Boreanaz.

Squall is good in everything but his own game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Terper posted:

I have no idea what you're talking abo

oh

Three distinct looking characters that all happen to be wearing beanies.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dr Pepper posted:

Three distinct looking characters that all happen to be wearing beanies.

THEY'RE CALLED TOQUES :argh:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Characters that weren't ruined: Yuffie, Cid, Aeris (KHI), Zack, Squall, Fuujin, Raijin, and Auron

Characters that were ruined: Setzer, Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth, Aeris (KHII), Selphie, Seifer, Vivi, Tidus, Wakka, Yuna, Rikku, and Paine

Some of these are because of terrible casting, personality re-writing, or just doing some weird poo poo with the characters. For instance, Setzer bribing a kid so he doesn't beat him in a foam bat fight.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Nomura had only done the designs for Neku and Shiki? It would explain why Neku looks like Sora and Shiki Kairi, while everybody else looks pretty distinctive.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

This is the first time I noticed Snow has a scarf hanging from his waist. That's... not how you wear those, Snow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The GIG posted:

Squall is good in everything but his own game.

Well he is reverse Cloud.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So can anyone tell me if the quote supposedly from a writer at Square (maybe even the infamous Toriyama) stating Caius is the strongest villain in the series is legit? I've only got hearsay about it.

As a thoroughly lifeless nerd, I enjoy arguing which nonexistent character can beat which, and so I take offense to the idea that this dude is more powerful than bad guys (and girls) who have displayed much greater feats of strength.

Maybe it's all mistranslation or misinterpretation and they were just trying to say he's the strongest bvillain in that he's the most effective or well-written or something. Still a load of bunk but at least it's subjective bunk.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
He's the only one that's introduced with divine power already, right? Since he's had Etro's heart since before the game started. I mean, plenty of villains might get on his level post-stereotypical-transformation, but could that be what they meant?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He's the only one that's introduced with divine power already, right? Since he's had Etro's heart since before the game started. I mean, plenty of villains might get on his level post-stereotypical-transformation, but could that be what they meant?

Depending on how you look at things, there's also Ultimecia (time loop shenanigans) and Sephiroth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, the way the story plays out I can conceivably buy that, but it's still incredibly dumb because Caius is an awful, awful character.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ApplesandOranges posted:

Depending on how you look at things, there's also Ultimecia (time loop shenanigans) and Sephiroth.
loving Time Compression. Although I guess it wasn't even "that ever-elusive Time Kompression", it was just the Rinoa > Edea > Ultimecia loop and the beginning of spacetime crumbling and all that.

As for Sephiroth, Jenova's just an alien, although I don't know the relative power levels of those two and I'm not going into full-on DBZ mode to compare them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Toriyama probably just declared that because to him that's how you make a compelling villain. He seems like the kind of guy who would say Superman is the best superhero "because he has the most and the best powers."

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Toriyama just stated that one of the main development tenets of Lightning Returns was to "beat Skyrim" in terms of open-world structure. While he probably won't reach that goal, since that would require a ton of terrible VA, loading the game with bugs, and having super bland dungeons, at least we know that Lightning Returns is being built with an open-world nature in mind. Though the time limit restriction will mean exploration will take a few playthroughs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Azure_Horizon posted:

Toriyama just stated that one of the main development tenets of Lightning Returns was to "beat Skyrim" in terms of open-world structure. While he probably won't reach that goal, since that would require a ton of terrible VA, loading the game with bugs, and having super bland dungeons, at least we know that Lightning Returns is being built with an open-world nature in mind. Though the time limit restriction will mean exploration will take a few playthroughs.

"A ton of terrible VA" and "super bland dungeons" makes it sound like it's right up Toriyama's alley. Just add an incomprehensible plot, terrible character designs, and creepy sexual elements.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I never really had an issue with XIII's dungeons, nor the VA, which has been mostly excellent (aside from Vanille... and sometimes Lightning herself). On an aesthetic level, the dungeons are gorgeous. Skyrim's dungeons... ? Yeah, that's the definition of dull.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

How would you have issue with FF13's dungeons in the first place? It doesn't have any, just a linear hallway you run down.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Defiance Industries posted:

How would you have issue with FF13's dungeons in the first place? It doesn't have any, just a linear hallway you run down.

Pretty sure that dungeons aren't automatically disqualified from being dungeons if they're linear.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Azure_Horizon posted:

I never really had an issue with XIII's dungeons, nor the VA, which has been mostly excellent (aside from Vanille... and sometimes Lightning herself). On an aesthetic level, the dungeons are gorgeous.

Please don't try and tell me that the Vile Peaks or the Palamecia were gorgeous, because that's simply not true. Palumpolum and... uh... the last place were pretty boring, too.

Edit: Taejin's Tower was rather dull to look at, too. And I'm not personally fond of either of the Arks. I was rather fond of the Steppe and the Massif, though, and Oerba's a pretty neat location.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Azure_Horizon posted:

Pretty sure that dungeons aren't automatically disqualified from being dungeons if they're linear.

If it's linear it's a corridor, if it's a maze it's a dungeon. Mi'hen Highroad isn't a dungeon any more than anything in FF13 is.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 3, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Instead of trying to "beat Skyrim" they should be looking at GTA for a better model of open world exploration. All the Elder Scrolls games are kind of sparse compared to just one city block in a main GTA game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Please don't try and tell me that the Vile Peaks or the Palamecia were gorgeous, because that's simply not true. Palumpolum and... uh... the last place were pretty boring, too.

Edit: Taejin's Tower was rather dull to look at, too. And I'm not personally fond of either of the Arks. I was rather fond of the Steppe and the Massif, though, and Oerba's a pretty neat location.

Palumpolum, Oerba, and Gran Pulse are the only locations I remember from the 40 hours I trudged through XIII, and that's because they were the only ones that weren't literally a floating walkway with a pretty skybox. On the other hand, I could name, order, locate, and possibly even sketch the majority of the areas I visited in VII, despite having played the game for roughly the same amount of time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's more to Skyrim's design than the geographic layout. The quest structure and the use of implicit storytelling are also noteworthy.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I've not played Skyrim. I figure it's implied, but I might as well ask to be safe: does it put the actual meaning of the cutscenes in a log of events you access from your pause menu so that in order to get what happens you need to read the game's plot after experiencing it?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I can't imagine there are people that care about what happens in the cutscenes of Skyrim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

I can't imagine there are people that care about what happens in the cutscenes of Skyrim.

I do, but only in one situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bifmj1O3D24

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm pretty sure there are no cutscenes in Skyrim in the Final Fantasy sense, just deep dialog trees and particularly flashy action set-pieces. The scripted events that play out that the player is passive in are mostly conversations between NPCs (during which the player is free to walk around), where the meaning is clear because it's explained by the dialog.

There's a huge amount of lore, but it's mostly confined to the enormous number of in-game books, of which the ones that give you the general overview of the setting are abundant.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

1st AD posted:

I played this for about 5 minutes, got murdered in a random battle outside of town after doing the intro, then promptly uninstalled and got my refund. gently caress that.

It's a great game. Outside of the "Rydia is no longer a 13 year old so you can bang her now" thing they got going on in the later game it's probably the best in the series. Rosa and Cecil's romance exists before the game so you don't spend 30 hours whining about it like in FF7.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Outside of the "Rydia is no longer a 13 year old so you can bang her now" thing they got going on in the later game it's probably the best in the series.

How did this ever come up, except possibly in the brains of adolescent (or manchild) players?

Wasn't the only person who actually hits on her a dude who didn't meet her until she was like that? Her design didn't get moronically sexed-up until newer re-releases of the game came along.

Anecdotally, I remember actually being kid-Rydia's age when playing it, so it was like, "Hey cool, someone I somewhat vaguely identify with is off on an adventure with knights and wizards." When she comes back ridiculously strong, it was straight up :tviv:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was a big fan of Eden Under Siege in FFXIII. That's the only area I remember being terribly fond of.

Shame it came only a short while afte Taejin's Tower which I would honestly put down there with NES-era FF dungeons in terms of awfulness. God I hated that place.

This reminds me of when I was comparing the tri-Ace/tri-Crescendo and Final Fantasy games I've played. I was thinking over all the many, many differences and one that jumped out almost immediately at me wa the former's love of puzzle dungeons. FF has some puzzle=filled dungeons but it isn't filled to the brim with them like Baten Kaitos or Star Ocean.

I thus started thinking of every dungeon in an FF I've completed, trying to think which would qualify. The only ones I could think of wee maybe the Desert Palace in IX, the Cloister of Trials in X (I think it counts?), a couple of places in XII like the Stilshrine of Miriam, and then XIII's only vague contribution would be Taejin's Tower which was just go here and kill this and go there and kill that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Magnetic Cave and Ibsen's Castle were gimmick dungeons, but they might count on that list? Also possibly Ultimecia's Castle for the same reason, it even had that drat art puzzle.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Mazed posted:

How did this ever come up, except possibly in the brains of adolescent (or manchild) players?

I always assumed the point of having her grow up was to be an excuse to have a(nother) character that the devs at least, if not the players could :fap: to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uhh, why the hell would you assume that?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I always assumed the point of having her grow up was to be an excuse to have a(nother) character that the devs at least, if not the players could :fap: to.

I figure it was so you didn't have a literal child in the middle of a warzone since we already had the tragic death of 2 child soldiers.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
In an effort to de-escalate this rather creepy conversation: I really liked Rydia's cute little blocky pal she could summon. He was so :3
Just another reason why the DS version is the definitive version IMHO, even if it is a little hard.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Speaking of the various child characters throughout the series, I noticed something awhile back. All the child characters from III, IV, and V (the Onion Kids, child Rydia, Palom, Porom, and Krile) all do that thing where they stare at the player instead of facing to the left the way all the adult characters do. But Relm, the only child character from VI, faces to the left the same way all the adult characters do.

Just a weird detail I thought was kind of neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think it's because VI is the first one where characters shared the same sprites in the field and in battle, so Relm would need a left-facing sprite for if you happened to control her.