Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hogge Wild posted:

I thought that Europeans were also short before the plague, and during the Little Ice Age.

Malnutrition! As the Black Death hit Europe, the population size had reached the natural carrying capacity of Europe, as evidenced by the the bringing of marginal lands into cultivation (land that provides less food than is spent farming it) and numerous bread riots across the biggest population centers. In fact, the overpopulation that Europe faced by the 14th century made the Black Death or an another kind of epidemic of similar size a nigh on inevitability. There were just too many people.

lollontee fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Fromage posted:

Also on height, Romans weren't tiny as they're sometimes portrayed. Southern Europeans have tended to be shorter than Northern Europeans for quite a while, and they also wanted to enhance the barbarity of the barbarians so they always talked about how huge the Germans or whoever were. They probably were larger but not abnormally so. I don't have the data (I don't know if we have the data, all that cremation makes Roman bodies harder to find) but I suspect Romans and modern Italians are genetically about the same and there's not much average height difference. Maybe a couple inches but nothing significant.
Divide that one measurement that was equal to 1000 soldiers lying down head to foot by 1000

Hogge Wild posted:

I thought that Europeans were also short before the plague, and during the Little Ice Age.
Yeah, they were shorter during the 17th century, I think someone posted a paper on that in the milhist thread.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I thought the main reason the East handled the Theme system not breaking down was due to the strong "core" compared to the west. Constantinople and the Emperor were the clear overlords of the Eastern Empire, and while there were powerful local landowners individually they couldn't compare to the power of the Emperor and the administration that still existed. In contrast during the early medieval period in the west there was no core city and overall ruler clearly in charge, while the "barbarian" kingdoms were built from the bottom up rather than the top down.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, they were shorter during the 17th century, I think someone posted a paper on that in the milhist thread.

This was still the case into the nineteenth century. Both the British commanders at Jutland were shorter than George Costanza (Jellicoe was 5'5", Beatty was a towering 5'6").

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This was still the case into the nineteenth century. Both the British commanders at Jutland were shorter than George Costanza (Jellicoe was 5'5", Beatty was a towering 5'6").
heeheeheehee that's adorable

Ed: What's their social backgrounds? Would the have been likely to have been malnourished in childhood?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 29, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

heeheeheehee that's adorable

Ed: What's their social backgrounds? Would the have been likely to have been malnourished in childhood?

Jellicoe was the son of a merchant ship captain, Beatty was part of the Anglo-Irish ruling caste in Ireland. What made the difference probably was that they both entered the Navy's officer training program on the school ship Britannia at the age of 11 or 12, and the diet and conditions they lived in were hardly conducive to robust health.

I found the weekly rations for the early Victorian Royal Navy, and although they aren't exactly what Jellicoe and Beatty would have eaten, they're reasonably representative:

7 lbs beef, 7 lbs hardtack biscuit, 3/4 lbs cheese, 3/4 lbs butter, 7 gallons beer, 3 1/2 lbs vegetables, 7/8 pint "spirits", 1 3/4 oz tea, 14 oz sugar, 7 oz cocoa.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also, syphilis tends to stunt your growth and they were in the navy from 11 or 12.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Can anybody recommend some good books or articles on military logistics in the Roman Republic (or early empire)? I read one ages ago for Ancient Greece that was quite good but at the time I couldn't find any promising ones done for the Roman world.

I think the one I read might have been this: http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Great-Logistics-Macedonian-Army/dp/0520042727 As I recall the author detailing potential routes for Alexander's army based on geographical setting, e.g. foraging, access to fresh water, and the time it would take to pass an army of X thousand men walking at Y speed through a pass Z wide, etc etc.

Even just some books on prevailing military doctrine in the roman republic would be fantastic, like a field manual for army placement in relation to hills or valleys, rivers, etc etc.

Lastly, has anybody got any good articles or books on mining in the ancient world? I know the silver mines in Spain were absolutely brutal but I'd love to read more on the general metallurgical process for iron as well - mining (logistics and the physical extraction), transport, refinement, etc etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Grand Fromage posted:

Roman penis size increased over time, as shown by the gradual shift to the spatha instead of the gladius.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Ask me about Roman/Greek/other ancient history: Roman penis size increased over time, as shown by the gradual shift to the spatha instead of the gladius.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
The idea that height is genetically determined and was mostly depressed by malnutrition is a pretty simplistic and reductive view to take. For one thing, how "genetic" (that is, heritable) a trait is is always in flux, and is not informative due to the massive range of environments that any heritability study cannot capture. But more to the point, there are a multitude of differences between modern environments and the same environments in antiquity. Think of parasitic load, microbiological differences, and how all those factors of environment would interact with the genome (epigenetics.)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Grand Fromage posted:

No. Height is mostly genetics and is driven down by malnutrition. Europeans were only unusually short for a fairly short time period during the Industrial Revolution. Peasants ate a pretty good diet and got plenty of exercise, they were generally quite healthy if you didn't have bubonic plague or whatever.

This isn't completely true. By most modern standards anyone from the pre-modern era is much shorter and smaller then we are. If you ever get a chance try to put your hand around a legionary sword hilt. I can maybe put three fingers around one on a good day.

Basically if we ever create time travel we will stick out like sore thumbs.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I don't understand the bit about putting 3 fingers around the sword hilt. I understood that you're trying to say we're big in comparison but I just can't visualise the example you've given. How would they have been held by a pre-modern soldier?

e: Okay, the post a couple down cleared this up. I thought for some reason you were taking about the thickness of the hilt, not the length. I'm not familiar with the sword you're describing, I was picturing a normal Republican-era gladius with no finger-guard or whatever that thing is called, which doesn't really (to my recollection) have a short hilt.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 29, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

This isn't completely true. By most modern standards anyone from the pre-modern era is much shorter and smaller then we are. If you ever get a chance try to put your hand around a legionary sword hilt. I can maybe put three fingers around one on a good day.

This is in fact mostly a function of 20th century nutrition and health care. At the start of the 20th century, the average adult man in the US was about 5'5" tall and weighed 150 pounds. Fans who go to places like Fenway Park in Boston, for example, have trouble fitting into the seats.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

sbaldrick posted:

Person with a relevant degree addressing the issue. In short, hand size is not really linked to height to begin with, and you have really big hands if you can only fit 3 fingers in a 3 3/4 inch grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN85FNc7ssw

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Person with a relevant degree addressing the issue. In short, hand size is not really linked to height to begin with, and you have really big hands if you can only fit 3 fingers in a 3 3/4 inch grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN85FNc7ssw

Hand size is very much linked to height.

http://www.biomedscidirect.com/878/study_of_correlation_between_human_height_and_hand_length_in_residents_of_mumbai/articlescategories

https://ispub.com/IJFS/3/2/7429

http://saspublisher.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/SJAMS-22D773-784.pdf

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v68/n2/full/ejcn2013220a.html

This seems like straightforward common sense to me, too, so i'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. The taller you are, the bigger almost everything (ahem) tends to be, because we're built on a proportional body plan.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I saw the armor of some British (English?) king or another from the 1400's or 1500's. The armor itself barely broke above 5 feet in height, and according to the museum he wasn't accounted a particularly short man for his day. People pre-20th century were shorter, on average, than people today.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
American colonists and post plague pre Little Ice Age Europeans weren't much shorter.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ynglaur posted:

I saw the armor of some British (English?) king or another from the 1400's or 1500's. The armor itself barely broke above 5 feet in height, and according to the museum he wasn't accounted a particularly short man for his day. People pre-20th century were shorter, on average, than people today.

Average male European height throughout the Early Middle Ages was 5'8". This is slightly taller than during the Roman period, where the average was about 5'6" (this is partially due to the broader range of peoples and cultures in the Roman Empire). It decreased slightly over time, to a low of about 5'5". On the whole, the public perception of a significant change in human height over time is largely a misunderstanding - nutrition plays the largest role in affecting height. Even when comparing the tallest average Europeans with the shortest (i.e. 21st century v. 18th century) we're talking about a five inch difference, which is similar to the average difference between men and women.

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/medimen.htm

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 29, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kaal posted:

Average male European height throughout the Early Middle Ages was 5'8". This is slightly taller than during the Roman period, where the average was about 5'6" (this is partially due to the broader range of peoples and cultures in the Roman Empire). It decreased slightly over time, to a low of about 5'5". On the whole, the public perception of a significant change in human height over time is largely a misunderstanding - nutrition plays the largest role in affecting height. Even when comparing the tallest average Europeans with the shortest (i.e. 21st century v. 18th century) we're talking about a five inch difference, which is similar to the average difference between men and women.

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/medimen.htm

I've been amused in researching the history of American football. There are numerous articles crowing about the size of the linemen back in the 1890s. Yale, for example, dominated the league at that time by having a bunch of giants who were all of 5'10" tall and weighed as much as 175 pounds.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Lastly, has anybody got any good articles or books on mining in the ancient world? I know the silver mines in Spain were absolutely brutal but I'd love to read more on the general metallurgical process for iron as well - mining (logistics and the physical extraction), transport, refinement, etc etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Roman-Iron-Industry-Britain/dp/0752468650

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How far did the ancient Egyptians explore? Why didn't they set up colonies?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

goose fleet posted:

How far did the ancient Egyptians explore? Why didn't they set up colonies?

Presumably they circumnavigated Africa. As for colonies, any place other than Egypt was inferior to Egypt itself so Egyptians had no interest in living anywhere else.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Deteriorata posted:

I've been amused in researching the history of American football. There are numerous articles crowing about the size of the linemen back in the 1890s. Yale, for example, dominated the league at that time by having a bunch of giants who were all of 5'10" tall and weighed as much as 175 pounds.

While the average has only slightly increased, the extremes, particularly in athletic endeavor, have dramatically shifted. People with far right on the bell curve bodies would once typically have little to no opportunity to apply them; people like Micheal Phelps might have been stuck farming for most of history but even more recently might not have been able to have access to swimming pools to discover their extreme specializations. Now more then any other time in history, if you have a very tall body you have the most opportunity to apply it to basketball, for example.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ancient Egypt seems like it was a very inward looking and conservative society compared to, say, the Greeks. Their civilization centered around a river that was fantastic for producing food, which means there's not much incentive for colonies. And this is an immensely ancient and resilient civiization: Egyptian religion, for one, implies a very long-term view of an unchanging life. They had mummies for a reason. Upper and Lower Egypt was first unified before 3000 BC. This is not to say it's perfect continuity of civlization, and of course there's going to be change, upheaval, and migration, but Egyptians fought Assyrians before Athens and Rome were cities.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 29, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hateshput supposedly sent out Indian Ocean expeditions. Not that that was Terra Incognita, the Sumerians were trading with India as well, but they did try to see what was around them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CoolCab posted:

While the average has only slightly increased, the extremes, particularly in athletic endeavor, have dramatically shifted. People with far right on the bell curve bodies would once typically have little to no opportunity to apply them; people like Micheal Phelps might have been stuck farming for most of history but even more recently might not have been able to have access to swimming pools to discover their extreme specializations. Now more then any other time in history, if you have a very tall body you have the most opportunity to apply it to basketball, for example.

Basketball? Psh, weak moderns. Tall men should properly be abducted to serve in a Prussian fetish regiment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ynglaur posted:

See this is my point, it's become commonly accepted mythology. People have, generally, been getting larger over time but the difference is not that significant.

I'll use my personal experience with different heights. I'm from the US, where the average height is 178 cm. I am 182, so that feels about right. Tall-ish but not anything special.

I then lived in Korea, with an average height of 175. That also feels right, the experience was about the same as the US.

Now China, with an average height of 169. That number isn't accurate to my experience, as I'm in south China and people here are a lot shorter than in the north. Say it's more like 164. That is a significant difference--I can almost always see both ends of any subway train I'm on and I rarely see anyone my height or taller (except for people under 25-ish, who haven't been malnourished and are noticeably taller).

That's why I think even though there isn't a massive difference, it appeared as such in writing and we've gotten this impression. 165 vs 175 is not objectively that much but it can feel like a lot, especially if you're the 165 guy and the 175 guy has an axe.

E: Asia's a good place to see the difference in nutrition too. Old people in Korea are the size of elementary schoolers, while their grandchildren are average American size. The grandchildren had food, the grandparents did not.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 30, 2015

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

sullat posted:

Hateshput supposedly sent out Indian Ocean expeditions. Not that that was Terra Incognita, the Sumerians were trading with India as well, but they did try to see what was around them.

Afaik Hatshepsut stands out in history as one of the more outward-minded pharaohs though. Her sending out multiple major trade expeditions seems to have been viewed by contemporaries as a big deal and very active foreign policy. Also Punt probably wasn't India, more likely Arabia or the Horn of Africa. It's reported as really far away because the Egyptians were apparently terrible sailors.

As for why they didn't set up overseas colonies, why would they? Every aspect of Egyptian civilization was adapted to the Nile, the best agricultural land in the known world, so they focused their expansion on inching upriver into Kush/Nubia where all their technology and skills could be practically applied. The effort needed to conquer distant lands was better spent trading with them or occasionally raiding them for plunder.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Reading this thread reminds of all the stuff I read about the Crusades for my thesis. Basically, reading the Islamic accounts of the Franks is pretty much the same as reading Roman accounts of the Germanic peoples: they're huge, hulking barbarians who are really good at killing people but not, you know, civilized.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Reading this thread reminds of all the stuff I read about the Crusades for my thesis. Basically, reading the Islamic accounts of the Franks is pretty much the same as reading Roman accounts of the Franks: they're huge, hulking barbarians who are really good at killing people but not, you know, civilized.

Not surprising since they're basically the same people separated by not even a thousand years.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Arglebargle III posted:

Not surprising since they're basically the same people separated by not even a thousand years.

Sound logic if ever there was any.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

sbaldrick posted:

You assume these (Spatha, Gladius, Viking) swords were used in a hammer grip, which apparently was not necessarily the case: http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2478

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 30, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

This looks perfect, thank you!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ynglaur posted:

We have one of the largest armor collections here in Vienna, and the shitload of suits that are on display here would fit visitors without a problem when it comes to height. Suits of my height (170cm) aren't so numerous. The smaller ones are either for kids or adolescents. Also paraphrasing Rodrigo with this, who suggested that people often mistake them for suits for fully grown men.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How much of the armor is intact? What time period is this from? I'm curious about how much of the armor is made of materials that can decay and how much that changes over different varieties of armor and different times.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

We have one of the largest armor collections here in Vienna, and the shitload of suits that are on display here would fit visitors without a problem when it comes to height. Suits of my height (170cm) aren't so numerous. The smaller ones are either for kids or adolescents. Also paraphrasing Rodrigo with this, who suggested that people often mistake them for suits for fully grown men.
Don't forget armorers' display pieces.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
aren't height measurements usually done by examining human remains from the period in question?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

V. Illych L. posted:

aren't height measurements usually done by examining human remains from the period in question?

You can look at certain types of record where heights are usually taken - military entrance is a common one.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Grand Fromage posted:

That's why I think even though there isn't a massive difference, it appeared as such in writing and we've gotten this impression. 165 vs 175 is not objectively that much but it can feel like a lot, especially if you're the 165 guy and the 175 guy has an axe.
Picked up from a Goldsworthy book: height difference and the psychological impact during close combat may have explained the ancient obsession with helmets. I mean, if you think about it, all you really need if enough random metal/leather to cover your head and not get in the way. But classical helmets were like Gothic cathedrals, festooned with all kinds of poo poo like feathers and horse tails and whatever else. The thought here is that it worked as a pure intimidation tactic, not because it made the guy look fierce, but because it made him look taller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

physeter posted:

Picked up from a Goldsworthy book: height difference and the psychological impact during close combat may have explained the ancient obsession with helmets. I mean, if you think about it, all you really need if enough random metal/leather to cover your head and not get in the way. But classical helmets were like Gothic cathedrals, festooned with all kinds of poo poo like feathers and horse tails and whatever else. The thought here is that it worked as a pure intimidation tactic, not because it made the guy look fierce, but because it made him look taller.

I recall that tall helmets also had a defence benefit beyond pure intimidation, but the exact argument isn't coming to me. Something about how by making the person look a solid foot taller, it confuses the attacker and strikes tend to be a foot taller than they should be..?