Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

AKG K371 unless you're willing to go open back.

thanks, ill look at the AKG K371, and i don't have any preference re: open or closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Just a quick word of warning. I own a pair of 371s and while they sound good, they're not comfortable at all after about 30mins / an hour of wear for me,.so take that for what you will.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

strong bird posted:

thanks, ill look at the AKG K371, and i don't have any preference re: open or closed

oh! if you're open to open (heh) check out Sennheiser HD560s instead

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Budget - around $350
Source - USB or 3.5, either is fine.
Isolation Requirements - extremely yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear wireless
Past Headphones - my current headset is a steelseries arctis 7.

I am looking for a better headset to use whilst playing games/watching youtube/light music. By better what I am really looking for is better noise isolation/cancellation. I see Steelseries makes an Arctis Nova Pro, is that a good option or is there something better?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CongoJack posted:

Budget - around $350
Source - USB or 3.5, either is fine.
Isolation Requirements - extremely yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear wireless
Past Headphones - my current headset is a steelseries arctis 7.

I am looking for a better headset to use whilst playing games/watching youtube/light music. By better what I am really looking for is better noise isolation/cancellation. I see Steelseries makes an Arctis Nova Pro, is that a good option or is there something better?

I mean, if what you want is headphone sound quality there’s a million better brands for that than steelseries.

I’m pretty sure a bunch of them also make gamer headsets with mics and whatnot now too, but I’m not too up-to-date on that as I just use wireless earbuds for zoom calls.

If you’re willing to split your headphone and microphone up you’d have a ton more options too.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, if what you want is headphone sound quality there’s a million better brands for that than steelseries.

I’m pretty sure a bunch of them also make gamer headsets with mics and whatnot now too, but I’m not too up-to-date on that as I just use wireless earbuds for zoom calls.

If you’re willing to split your headphone and microphone up you’d have a ton more options too.

I would like to keep them together if possible. As long as sound quality is decent I will be happy, mostly because I don't know much better. What I am really looking for is blocking as much outside sound as possible, both continuous like my PC and occasional like my neighbors.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why not just get XM4's?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boo_radley posted:

V-MODA CrossfadeM-100s are nice, possibly some of the best headphones I've owned. there's a new line of Master M100s that have the same range. Good drivers, no clipping, deals well with bass, including some LFO. $250 usd: https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-m-100-master

My complaint is that they don't fit my giant skull comfortably and I worry about breaking them. If you have a human sized head you should be ok Having said that, the originals have lasted for 5+ years and don't show any fatigue.

These are very tempting. Also apparently the LCD-X is everything I want from what I gather from reviews, so I'll try to find a way to buy it for not-4k USD and if it fails I'll try the V-MODA.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Kirios posted:

Why not just get XM4's?

Yea those look good, thanks!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Kirios posted:

Why not just get XM4's?

Seconded, mine arrived the other day, and the sound cancellation is unreal, even compared to the xm3s.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Any in-ear bluetooth buds for phone - podcasts/music - that people would recommend right now? Looking for something under £100 ideally. I hate buying bluetooth earphones because there has always seemed to be a quality/price gap between £50-£150 where there's just nothing good between crappy £20 tinny rubbish, and very expensive £150 stuff.

Mostly I'm looking for something with vaguely decent quality and a decent battery life 6hrs+, which doesn't cost the earth.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

El Grillo posted:

Any in-ear bluetooth buds for phone - podcasts/music - that people would recommend right now? Looking for something under £100 ideally. I hate buying bluetooth earphones because there has always seemed to be a quality/price gap between £50-£150 where there's just nothing good between crappy £20 tinny rubbish, and very expensive £150 stuff.

Mostly I'm looking for something with vaguely decent quality and a decent battery life 6hrs+, which doesn't cost the earth.

Anker Soundcore Life P2... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SJR6HL3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

These are pretty good. Battery life is long, and the quality is at least 'vaguely decent'. £30!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kirios posted:

Why not just get XM4's?

Because you have to plug them in for gaming or suffer the windows bluetooth stack.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Because you have to plug them in for gaming or suffer the windows bluetooth stack.

Just to second this, I never got my xm4s to work well on my Windows 10 gaming machine even after changing out the bluetooth adapter. No issues on my work laptop weirdly enough. I'm not the only person to have this issue at my workplace lol

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I got a good deal on used Airpods Max expecting I'd hate them but they're easily the best sounding headphones I've ever used. Everyone has their own preferred taste but, these sound way better than any of the other headphones I've owned. That list is HD600/HD650/XM3/XM4/SE215/SRH440/M50X/Airpods 1 & 2/Airpods Pro. I actually also prefer them to my KEF R300's and Dynaudio Focus 160's. First time I've ever preferred a headphone over the speakers.

The noise cancellation is just OK (ever so slightly worse than XM4) but the transparency mode is incredible. It's so much better than XM3/XM4/Airpods Pro. Transparency mode on these legitimately makes it sound like you're not wearing headphones. It sounds SO natural. Big fan of the material they used for the earcups, I can wear them for a very long time without my ears getting hot/sweaty feeling like I get with pleather/leather pads.

Shame about the ridiculous MSRP and that they hosed up the functional design aspect so bad (they're way too heavy, don't fold, and the earcups swivel in the wrong direction, the stupid bra, no power button).

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 25, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

I got a good deal on used Airpods Max expecting I'd hate them but they're easily the best sounding headphones I've ever used.

Shame about the ridiculous MSRP and that they hosed up the functional design aspect so bad (they're way too heavy, don't fold, and the earcups swivel in the wrong direction, the stupid bra, no power button).

How much did you get them for?

I’ve been tempted a few times but your last paragraph has always made me stop. If I got a good deal though…..

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

MarcusSA posted:

How much did you get them for?

I’ve been tempted a few times but your last paragraph has always made me stop. If I got a good deal though…..

$325 $350 shipped including the stupid proprietary cable you need if you want to hardwire them. Included original box and the pads/headband weren't even stained yet (don't get silver/white, they have since stained very quickly).

One more thing, clamping force seems kind of high. I have a small dome but I think these would not be comfortable to someone with an above average sized head.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 25, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Brain Issues posted:

One more thing, clamping force seems kind of high. I have a small dome but I think these would not be comfortable to someone with an above average sized head.

Can confirm - I've got a large head head and the clamping gives me a headache after ~30 minutes of wear. For some reference - my hat size is 7 3/4. The sound quality was...fine to me, felt ovepriced in that department, but the noise cancelling and transparency modes were legitimately fantastic. Honestly, all Apple products (Airpods Pro, Beats Fit Pro) are best in class in that regard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

$325 $350 shipped including the stupid proprietary cable you need if you want to hardwire them. Included original box and the pads/headband weren't even stained yet (don't get silver/white, they have since stained very quickly).

Thanks!

Kirios posted:

Can confirm - I've got a large head head and the clamping gives me a headache after ~30 minutes of wear. For some reference - my hat size is 7 3/4. The sound quality was...fine to me, felt ovepriced in that department, but the noise cancelling and transparency modes were legitimately fantastic. Honestly, all Apple products (Airpods Pro, Beats Fit Pro) are best in class in that regard.

Ok well poo poo that’s about my head size.

I’ll probably hold off unless I can get a great deal on them.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Anker Soundcore Life P2... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SJR6HL3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

These are pretty good. Battery life is long, and the quality is at least 'vaguely decent'. £30!
Sweet, thanks. I actually ended up pulling the trigger on Jabra Elite 3 which looked like decent price point, though I've never had anything of that make so may return if they don't work out. I'm particularly worried about earbuds falling out of my ears lol, I have never had earbuds (as opposed to in-ear bluetooth phones with a connecting cable) before, and earphones of all kinds tend to fall out for me. So, we will see how things go.

I was very tempted by Sony wf-1000xm4's, which were going for £165. But apparently they only come with memory foam ear buds which cause some people discomfort and have fit issues, so I didn't feel like it was worth the tag.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Any thoughts in the thread about the new Sony XM5's and how they compare to the new B&W PX7 S2? Tempted to splurge out and upgrade from my XM3's but unsure if it is (1) worthwhile in terms of difference and (2) if the PX7 S2's are perhaps even better.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Kalenden posted:

Any thoughts in the thread about the new Sony XM5's and how they compare to the new B&W PX7 S2? Tempted to splurge out and upgrade from my XM3's but unsure if it is (1) worthwhile in terms of difference and (2) if the PX7 S2's are perhaps even better.

Buy both and return the ones you like less. Retailers are already charging you for the ability to return things no questions asked, you might as well take advantage of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit moved my question to the iPhone thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 28, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is there a good ~$30 pair of bluetooth earbuds known to pair well with a Galaxy S22? I want a set of beaters that can get abused. Sound quality not super important as long as it's not complete rear end. I see the recommendation for the Anker Soundcores up thread, are there comparable ones?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
A few posts up someone recommended a set of Ankers to me

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you need cheap buds that aren't built like crap and will have decent battery life the answer is always whatever Anker Soundcore buds are in your budget.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
There’s wireless Beats in the $50-60 range but I can’t speak to their quality/value vs Ankers at the same price or for less

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ok Comboomer posted:

There’s wireless Beats in the $50-60 range but I can’t speak to their quality/value vs Ankers at the same price or for less

I have them and quite like them but if you're looking for beater wireless buds you probably don't want the neck cable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

I have them and quite like them but if you're looking for beater wireless buds you probably don't want the neck cable.

or maybe you do, it makes it harder to lose them in the yard/lab/whatever and you can hang them around your neck when not in use :shrug:

plus I’d assume that the addition of “true wirelessness” and good battery life at that price point has to come with a sound quality penalty right? Not that budget Beats will really excel there either, and I assume you pay a sizable name brand/Apple tax

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 28, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
From popular demand, custom Shuoer EJ07 shirt:
https://www.customink.com/designs/e...hared%20desktop

(hahaha)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My experience has always been that true wireless = will fall out of my ears and has inferior connectivity. Falling out of ears is an inherent problem compared to the neck wire models (or rather, with a neck wire falling out of an ear is no big deal), but I would not be surprised if there were true wireless models with better connectivity now.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The anker soundcores I recently bought have these rubber nubs on them that make it pretty much impossible for them to fall out. They are great.

https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Wi...cs%2C115&sr=1-3

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

nrook posted:

My experience has always been that true wireless = will fall out of my ears
Comply tips, my goon sire

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I thought these Jabra earbuds would fall out, every wired earphones I've ever had kept falling out of my ears (including bluetooth with a neck wire). But these things are super light and I have had no issue with fit or them falling out at all.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Are Apple’s Max headphones the best for connected PC gaming? Got a bit of ambient noise at my pc while I’d also love a good ANC headphones when Covid travel becomes easier.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I have 3 pairs of true wireless buds and have never once had an issue with them falling out or even having an unstable fit. It is true though that the stock tips might suck and you need to find something else, which is fine for a nerd like me with dozens of types of tips in a bin. In general I’ve found the Spinfit tips designed for TWS sets to be a great place to start if stock tips aren’t working for you.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wiltsghost posted:

The anker soundcores I recently bought have these rubber nubs on them that make it pretty much impossible for them to fall out. They are great.

https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Wi...cs%2C115&sr=1-3

What is sound isolation like on these? Part of what I'm looking for in a pair of cheap bt buds is not complete isolation, so I can wear them when biking and stuff when I still want a little outside noise to be able to get through.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mang Tomas posted:

Are Apple’s Max headphones the best for connected PC gaming? Got a bit of ambient noise at my pc while I’d also love a good ANC headphones when Covid travel becomes easier.

The Sony XM4's also can be hardwired I believe. I would not recommend the Bose QC45's to anyone. I listened to them today and they sounded loving horrendous.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Brain Issues posted:

The Sony XM4's also can be hardwired I believe. I would not recommend the Bose QC45's to anyone. I listened to them today and they sounded loving horrendous.

No ANC cans sound especially good imo, I don't think that's really the point of them. Including the airpods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I’m very impressed with how the AirPods Maxes sound and I’ve listened to quite a lot of stuff.

That being said they’re very overpriced at msrp