Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

exquisite tea posted:

What was the reason again? It's been literally 20 years since I played RE2.

Chief Irons is completely insane, obsessed with art, and Umbrella got him made chief of police and helps him hide the string of dead girls in return for him ensuring the RPD will be totally ineffectual in investigating them.

He's also why ammo and weapons are strewn all over the station. Just before things really went to hell, he suddenly ordered all ammo split up and stored in small caches for paranoid reasons about 'terrorist' attacks.

In general Irons did everything he could to undermine the defense of the RPD or its ability to realize what was coming, in the hopes that Umbrella would get him out and keep his secrets and keep him rich. They did not bother doing this.

So yeah, a lot of the dumb poo poo about the police station is actually justified by a serial killer/rapist lunatic who is Umbrella's pet agent being the chief of police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The_Doctor posted:

Ghost Master is great, and a lot of fun so I will happily second this recommendation.

It’s a really interesting concept, and there’s really nothing like it. Getting the humans to do what you want can be frustrating sometimes as they have an essence of Sims-like free will, so I’ll agree with the puzzle-like nature of it.

I'm amazed that nobody has tried to make a spirutual sequel or at least something with a similar concept. The only other game I can think off where you control a ghost, without it being the big twist at the end, is Murdered: Soul Suspect and that's a murder mystery 3rd person stealth game or something where you do little or no haunting.

I remember playing some browser game a few years back where you play a ghost and need to scare the people out of your house but other than that nothing.

I like playing the monster in horror games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Not if the rumors are true :(

Reddit rumor is they took out the alligator segment. I dont know why they would, but Capcom

Don't believe/listen to reddit rumors you idiot.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/14/17457264/resident-evil-2-remake-tofu-hunk-alligator-capcom

Even tofu will be back!

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 26, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Glory be!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Not if the rumors are true :(

Reddit rumor is they took out the alligator segment. I dont know why they would, but Capcom

RE2 is going to be set entirely in the police station with no outside sections too

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you use the suplex on the truck outside of the police station 100 times then mew will pop out

a comment on a youtube video of 'Celebrate' by Kool and the Gang told me this

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Johnny Joestar posted:

if you use the suplex on the truck outside of the police station 100 times then mew will pop out

a comment on a youtube video of 'Celebrate' by Kool and the Gang told me this

Uh where did you hear that? There clearly won't be any outside because you didn't see it in the E3 trailer

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My uncle works for Capcom and he told me that if you jump into the fireplace and then run right into the pool without dying you can burn Tofu's clothes off.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

RE2 is going to be set entirely in the police station with no outside sections too

Oh yeah, that was another one from the same lot. An idiot am I.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh yeah, that was another one from the same lot. An idiot am I.

I've just been getting some mileage from this dead horse.

When RE7 was announced goons would Kramer into the Resident Evil thread and go "this looks like a lovely Outlast clone" even after Capcom went "uh guys there's combat" and continuing a couple weeks after launch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RE2 is also a game with interesting pacing because once you leave the police station it's a lot of narrow corridors and boss fights. But the gameplay footage seems to neatly balance everything out and the control style (which reminds me more of Dead Space than RE4) looks like it'll lend itself well to action and survival. The zombie physics are great, you're just blasting chunks off these guys.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm amazed that nobody has tried to make a spirutual sequel or at least something with a similar concept. The only other game I can think off where you control a ghost, without it being the big twist at the end, is Murdered: Soul Suspect and that's a murder mystery 3rd person stealth game or something where you do little or no haunting.

I remember playing some browser game a few years back where you play a ghost and need to scare the people out of your house but other than that nothing.

There's always Haunting Starring Polterguy. I doubt it holds up at all today but I loved it as a kid.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Haunt the House: Terrortown, kind of? It's not horror at all, it's more goofy, cute little ghosts scaring people at a theme park or a big house. Still fun though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

You can throw Poltergeist: A Pixelated Horror onto that pile as well, it's a pretty great little puzzler along the lines of Ghost Master.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Wow, I had no idea Alan Wake got taken from the digital shelves last year. It really sucks when music liscences keep people from playing an amazing game.

I loving love Alan Wake without reservation or shame.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More like oldshameless.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

oldpainless posted:

I thought the first Alan Wake was a legit fun experience and I enjoyed the story it was telling

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

oldpainless posted:

Every time Remedy announces a new game I get excited.

Twice in a row now they've announced the same lovely watered down sci-fi version of Max Payne with a bland aesthetic, instead of giving us Alan Wake 2.

I don't think I'll be excited for their next announcement.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

oldpainless posted:

I scooped it up during that last sale they had before the licensing tanked it, and I think it was a neat little game! Sort of same same after awhile, but the story was cool.

The excessive overuse of unearned jump scares was completely awful, though.
Jump cutting to your wife drowning/screaming for half a second at 10x game volume is not fuckin' horror.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Alan Wake was a really good Stephen King novel turned into a video game.

Combat was a little repetitive, sure, but the game was a pretty good campy experience overall. If only it had an ending.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yardbomb posted:

Somebody didn't get around to playing End of Zoe, wherein Joe "Fists of Fury" Baker not only suplexes swamp thing, but also spears alligators in their stupid faces.

The DLC doesn't fix the main game though.

I don't even think I played any of the DLC and I had the season pass. lol

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the dlc is pretty good so you're kind of the one losing out there

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

friendly 2 da void posted:

Every time Remedy announces a new game I get excited.

Twice in a row now they've announced the same lovely watered down sci-fi version of Max Payne with a bland aesthetic, instead of giving us Alan Wake 2.

I don't think I'll be excited for their next announcement.

Agree to disagree, but from what it sounds like their new game is Psi-Ops set inside of a SCP-like building with a shifting, fluid layout.

Not hyped for it, but optimistic that it will be interesting. Doubt it's a horror game, but IMHO neither was Alan Wake for the most part.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My dream is that it won't be kneecapped by their dumb focus on VIDEO GAMES CAN BE TV SHOWS TOO!!!! I got Quantum Break at some point and I was so bored of the live action.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Agree to disagree, but from what it sounds like their new game is Psi-Ops set inside of a SCP-like building with a shifting, fluid layout.

Not hyped for it, but optimistic that it will be interesting. Doubt it's a horror game, but IMHO neither was Alan Wake for the most part.

Trust me, I don't want to be so negative. The description of the game sounds great but the gameplay videos make it look like Quantum Break with worse animation and utterly generic F.E.A.R. style office building environments.

Alan Wake wasn't super scary but it had the Absolute Best Spooky Woods in videogaming and I'm just so eager for a new game to continue that legacy :(

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I thought the second half of RE7 was fine for the most part.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sponges posted:

I thought the second half of RE7 was fine for the most part.

Same, I liked the tanker because taking your stuff away let them start fresh and I got RE1/RE2 hunter/licker vibes except you can't fight them just run and dodge. Caves were unapologetically bad but at least you have 20 minutes of game left.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I hope the RE team make a straight-up horror game more akin to the RE7 demo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Blattdorf posted:

I hope the RE team make a straight-up horror game more akin to the RE7 demo.

As much as I'd want this, I don't think it'd translate well to a full game. It's fine wandering around a creepy mansion for an hour-long demo or so, but doing so for 20+ hours can get pretty tiring when there's no combat. The chief complaint about Alien Isolation being its length is a good indication of this.

What I'd like is a RE7 game except with RE monsters, not those featureless molded. Gimme zombies n lickers n poo poo, gimme a tyrant I need to actually aim into a big dumb eyeball weakpoint to kill.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

How long can a horror game last without having to incorporate other genres and/or diminishing the effectiveness of the horror? It's an open-ended question. Based upon my experience I would say no longer than 8 hours tops.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Morpheus posted:

As much as I'd want this, I don't think it'd translate well to a full game. It's fine wandering around a creepy mansion for an hour-long demo or so, but doing so for 20+ hours can get pretty tiring when there's no combat. The chief complaint about Alien Isolation being its length is a good indication of this.

What I'd like is a RE7 game except with RE monsters, not those featureless molded. Gimme zombies n lickers n poo poo, gimme a tyrant I need to actually aim into a big dumb eyeball weakpoint to kill.

I see where your coming from, and a large number of people do hate walking sims, but no lie I would play the gently caress out of a Ghost Adventures where poo poo actually happens/ a Blair witch with a slow rear end build up to an amazing crescendo. But I'm weird.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 28, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's a noble goal to develop a horror game that manages to induce tension even without a fail state, since the worst thing that usually happens is the big spooky monster grabs you and you restart from 30 seconds ago. Which if you fail enough times has the opposite effect and ceases to become scary.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's a noble goal to develop a horror game that manages to induce tension even without a fail state, since the worst thing that usually happens is the big spooky monster grabs you and you restart from 30 seconds ago. Which if you fail enough times has the opposite effect and ceases to become scary.

That's the thing that made The Painscreek Killings appealing to me, at least until the huge number of red herrings and somewhat obtusely linear path made it annoying. The game doesn't even advertise itself as a horror game at any point on Steam, simply framing it as an adventure murder mystery like countless others. Then you get the code to the cemetery padlock and walk up and the gate just swings open because someone's already gotten there. Then the lights suddenly go out in the hospital. Then you hear a knock on a door while searching the mansion. You suddenly become very aware that you're not actually alone in this town and that you're being stalked.

That being said, there's no true failure state in the game. There's multiple ending possibilities based on how you performed in the investigation and you can be killed while being chased by the killer at the end, but it's not like Amnesia or Outlast where you're constantly hiding from invincible one-hit kill enemies. "Failure" is simply the end of the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the solution to the issue with horror game pacing is an anthology format. Eternal Darkness got it right by having a central storyline and then a bunch of side storylines that tied into it. You could explore different gameplay styles, some focused on action others focused on puzzles and scares, and even better you can take away the players stuff inbetween stories without them protesting. You get to control the pacing as a designer and the player feels like they get a new perspective without you cheating.

RE7 was kind of heading in this direction with the tapes but didn't explore it fully enough. I'm imagining a game where you're exploring a spooky mansion, using these scattered tapes about the fate of the people there. Then when you discover the "secret" of the mansion it springs to life and all the crazy poo poo you encountered in the tapes is out to get you kind of like a Wily Castle final level run through everything you just learned.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

al-azad posted:

I think the solution to the issue with horror game pacing is an anthology format. Eternal Darkness got it right by having a central storyline and then a bunch of side storylines that tied into it. You could explore different gameplay styles, some focused on action others focused on puzzles and scares, and even better you can take away the players stuff inbetween stories without them protesting. You get to control the pacing as a designer and the player feels like they get a new perspective without you cheating.

RE7 was kind of heading in this direction with the tapes but didn't explore it fully enough. I'm imagining a game where you're exploring a spooky mansion, using these scattered tapes about the fate of the people there. Then when you discover the "secret" of the mansion it springs to life and all the crazy poo poo you encountered in the tapes is out to get you kind of like a Wily Castle final level run through everything you just learned.

It's appealing, but the design and buildout burden for that approach is gargantuan, especially if you want modern graphics.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

al-azad posted:

ED also had the advantage of being able to kill off like 9 out of 12 of the heroes but still show them accomplishing things as they slowly build up to the fated climax at the end of all things.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It's appealing, but the design and buildout burden for that approach is gargantuan, especially if you want modern graphics.

RE7, and even Eternal Darkness, reused assets like mad. Horror games in general, and hell even horror movies, are very economical and I think that's a strength the genre. Making the familiar suddenly unfamiliar.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Discendo Vox posted:

As long as it's not monumental I think it's worth it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

RE7, and even Eternal Darkness, reused assets like mad. Horror games in general, and hell even horror movies, are very economical and I think that's a strength the genre. Making the familiar suddenly unfamiliar.

Good horror is really easy to do on a low budget because so much of it is reliant on writing and atmosphere, both of which are free if you're not paying someone to make it for you. A skilled horror film or game creator can accomplish that with a very minimal budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

Good horror is really easy to do on a low budget because so much of it is reliant on writing and atmosphere, both of which are free if you're not paying someone to make it for you. A skilled horror film or game creator can accomplish that with a very minimal budget.

Yeah, like the format for Unfriended worked better than it should have, and one continuous take with 6 gopros in one house? Talk about low budget, but still good at creating an atmosphere. Shame about the ending.

E: although, I first saw it on my laptop, so that could have helped immensely in my immersion

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 28, 2018