Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

PaganGoatPants posted:

I just started the trial for this so let me get this straight: I can be any class/job on my character and switch whenever I want??

Yep. Your class/job is determined by whatever weapon you're currently equipping and you have juuust enough inventory space for a full set of gear for each class (including the crafters and gatherers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And whenever is whenever - as long as you're not in combat or an instance, you can change to any class no matter what level it is or what its role is. If you're not in town you have a cooldown of around 30s before you can use any combat-specific skills (but crafting immediately is fine), but you can go to an area as a warrior and then switch right over to white mage or whatever whenever you feel like; no zones locked by level, no combat-only or crafting-only areas, etc

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

I just started the trial for this so let me get this straight: I can be any class/job on my character and switch whenever I want??

After you get your first class to 15 you'll be able to switch classes by unlocking them in other guilds. Its recommended to get a base class to 20 first though so you can get your company chocobo to make it easier to level the other ones.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

^^^ DO that for sure, you want to stick with one combat class until you unlock your chocobo, it'll make everything else faster.

PaganGoatPants posted:

As long as you aren't in an instance or in combat you can be whatever you want whenever you want to.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

After you get your first class to 15 you'll be able to switch classes by unlocking them in other guilds. Its recommended to get a base class to 20 first though so you can get your company chocobo to make it easier to level the other ones.

It's at 10. Airships are at 15.

But if you want to cheese the airship thing, you can join an FC that's in Limsa if you started on the mainland (or vice versa), teleport to their house, and run over to unlock best classes Fishing and Marauding a whole 5 levels early.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vOv posted:

Yep. Your class/job is determined by whatever weapon you're currently equipping and you have juuust enough inventory space for a full set of gear for each class (including the crafters and gatherers).

You don't have enough space for rings actually. :argh:

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

Also, you don't need to reequip everything when you change classes (god that would be a huge hassle), just go into your character window->gear set list (http://imgur.com/NEAPPTs), then click create a new gear set (http://imgur.com/bh2Y68G) and from there doubleclick to swap your class/loadout. From that same window you can click the update button when you put on new gear.

I forget what the default settings are, but usually you don't want hotbars to be shared between classes (for instance, you don't want your healer abilities to show up when you switch to a warrior). You can control which hotbars are shared by going to system->character configuration -> hotbar settings (side panel) -> sharing (tab). If sharing is disabled, the game will create a unique instance for the specified hotbar for each class.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

staplegun posted:

Also, you don't need to reequip everything when you change classes (god that would be a huge hassle), just go into your character window->gear set list (http://imgur.com/NEAPPTs), then click create a new gear set (http://imgur.com/bh2Y68G) and from there doubleclick to swap your class/loadout. From that same window you can click the update button when you put on new gear.

I forget what the default settings are, but usually you don't want hotbars to be shared between classes (for instance, you don't want your healer abilities to show up when you switch to a warrior). You can control which hotbars are shared by going to system->character configuration -> hotbar settings (side panel) -> sharing (tab). If sharing is disabled, the game will create a unique instance for the specified hotbar for each class.

If I recall, the horizontal hotbars by default are not shared between classes, but vertical hotbars are, which makes them a good place to put your mounts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yep. Welcome to how characters in all MMOs should operate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

There is enough room for two str, dex, mnd, int, cp, gp, and even vit if your heart desires.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

2x Fending, Healing, Slaying, Aiming
2x Gathering, 2x Crafting

12 rings, 16 slots :confused:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jose Valasquez posted:

2x Fending, Healing, Slaying, Aiming
2x Gathering, 2x Crafting

12 rings, 16 slots :confused:

You forgot casters but still there is room.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It gets messier when you start involving leveling gear (including old level 50 gear for any jobs that haven't gone to 60 yet) in particular. If everything's at 60, it's much cleaner.

e: For example, if you've leveled WHM to 60, SCH is still at 50 from 2.x, and you've unlocked AST and you're planning to level it (and have therefore geared it), then you'll have two 60 healing rings for WHM, two old 50 healing rings for SCH, and two 30ish healing rings for AST. Suddenly that two rings per stat can turn into four or six.

Yeah, you can shuffle stuff off into the main inventory or a retainer (say, if that SCH is collecting dust there's no reason to keep the 50 rings around for it), but the point is that while scenarios like this can complicate things in general for any inventory slot except main and off hand, they'll complicate things twice as fast with the ring inventory.

Vil fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 8, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Drizvolta posted:

If I recall, the horizontal hotbars by default are not shared between classes, but vertical hotbars are, which makes them a good place to put your mounts.

Strictly speaking by default hotbars 1-3 aren't shared and hotbars 4-10 (4-8 for controllers) are. However you can change the shared settings in System, Character Configuration, Hotbar Settings (on the bar on the left), Sharing.

Hotbars 1-6 are horizontal, 7-10 are vertical, and the directions can't be changed.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

There are some hilariously sassy poses when you're looking over your shoulder.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Got a Chocobo today, finally. Settled on the name Kwehludes, because I am admittedly a horrible person. With ranking up within my chosen faction, is there any real reason to push these up? Or should it be done on more of a "Well, I've got the currency to do so, might as well?"

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

sethimothy posted:

Got a Chocobo today, finally. Settled on the name Kwehludes, because I am admittedly a horrible person. With ranking up within my chosen faction, is there any real reason to push these up? Or should it be done on more of a "Well, I've got the currency to do so, might as well?"

You can't pvp or swap companies until you're max rank. Rank also limits the gear you can purchase while leveling.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Doublestep posted:

You can't pvp or swap companies until you're max rank. Rank also limits the gear you can purchase while leveling.

You can swap companies I think.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

You also need max rank to own a house or a room inside a fc house, and there are probably done other endgame cosmeticish things. Plus the max rank lets you get high level crafting ingredients and I think unlocks some more leves, but more importantly getting into at least the second tier of goodies gives you access to items that temporarily boost your crafting or gathering xp by 50% which is pretty huge

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

KaneTW posted:

You can swap companies I think.

Did they remove the restriction at some point? I remember it requiring you being max rank and level 50 (but that was back when the last promotion was AK)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Max rank, level 50, 15 day waiting period to switch again, 50k fee every change after the first

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Or you could make the correct choice of Immortal Flames at the start and never need to change companies. :smuggo:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Do we have any idea when 3.1 is supposed to hit?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Let's play a game where you answer a series of yes or no questions and see what conclusions we can draw from this.

1: Can you roll need on STR accessories as a Tank?
2: Did you develop the game?
3: Has Yoshi stated at any time when speaking on the topic of tanking what his thoughts are regarding strength accessories?
4: When tanking, have you ever survived dropping below 800 hp during an encounter that was successfully recovered?
5: While some of the best guilds in the world use STR tanks for progression, do you really think that even a fraction of those who mimic them are close to their level of skill?

Answer key is:

1: No.
2: No.
3: (I honestly don't know, but I would go all in on No if I were a betting man.)
4: Yes.
5: No. (I am drat good at what I do. I am however human, and prone to the occasional albeit rare mistake. All STR tanks I have seen have been laughable pathetic mouthbreathing idiots at best. You should #gitabetterPRdepartment)

Secret Hidden Meanings:

1: While it doesn't say it directly with class restrictions, Fending gear is the primary accessory and Slaying is a luxury you can choose. Reversing that order to suit your own arguments and opinions makes you a twat. This means that the game was designed so tanks would acquire slaying accessories AFTER the dps, which signifies a high chance that all relevant content was intended to be done in VIT gear.
2: As a combo with the above, Fending gear is what tanks were intended to wear. This can be drawn as a conclusion logically from the simple fact that there isn't a class in the game that can roll need on gear outside its intended role otherwise, so to think this is an oversight or an exception shows a remarkable level of arrogance on the part of those who would suggest it. the tl;dr of this is "You not as good at game develop as you think. Smart brain not you."
3: Like I said, I don't really know. However I think that if Yoshi had addressed this issue it would be thrown around a lot more with big HEY LOOK AT THIS signs. I really just needed 5 questions.
4: This showcases what a single piece of vit gear can do and the difference it can make.
5: There is a very high chance you are not nearly as good as you think you are. Like, "I can see my house from here!" kinda high.

Now, without further adieu
BE GONE WITH YOU!! (second exclamation mark added for double drama bonus points!!!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Let's play a game where you answer a series of yes or no questions and see what conclusions we can draw from this.

1: Can you roll need on STR accessories as a Tank?
2: Did you develop the game?
3: Has Yoshi stated at any time when speaking on the topic of tanking what his thoughts are regarding strength accessories?
4: When tanking, have you ever survived dropping below 800 hp during an encounter that was successfully recovered?
5: While some of the best guilds in the world use STR tanks for progression, do you really think that even a fraction of those who mimic them are close to their level of skill?

Answer key is:

1: No.
2: No.
3: (I honestly don't know, but I would go all in on No if I were a betting man.)
4: Yes.
5: No. (I am drat good at what I do. I am however human, and prone to the occasional albeit rare mistake. All STR tanks I have seen have been laughable pathetic mouthbreathing idiots at best. You should #gitabetterPRdepartment)

Secret Hidden Meanings:

1: While it doesn't say it directly with class restrictions, Fending gear is the primary accessory and Slaying is a luxury you can choose. Reversing that order to suit your own arguments and opinions makes you a twat. This means that the game was designed so tanks would acquire slaying accessories AFTER the dps, which signifies a high chance that all relevant content was intended to be done in VIT gear.
2: As a combo with the above, Fending gear is what tanks were intended to wear. This can be drawn as a conclusion logically from the simple fact that there isn't a class in the game that can roll need on gear outside its intended role otherwise, so to think this is an oversight or an exception shows a remarkable level of arrogance on the part of those who would suggest it. the tl;dr of this is "You not as good at game develop as you think. Smart brain not you."
3: Like I said, I don't really know. However I think that if Yoshi had addressed this issue it would be thrown around a lot more with big HEY LOOK AT THIS signs. I really just needed 5 questions.
4: This showcases what a single piece of vit gear can do and the difference it can make.
5: There is a very high chance you are not nearly as good as you think you are. Like, "I can see my house from here!" kinda high.

Now, without further adieu
BE GONE WITH YOU!! (second exclamation mark added for double drama bonus points!!!

OF are leaking.

E: the answer is a good tank knows how to minmax his HP and the ridiculous patronizing assumptions you make are just plain stupid. If you're doing dungeons you can wear STR from the get-go; you're garbage if you wear VIT there. If you're raiding you can adjust your HP as needed.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 8, 2015

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's like the healer DPS debate all over again. Devs have said "hey yo we don't make this poo poo with healer DPS in mind, maybe you could try not relying on it to get through content", and yet overwhelming opinion still stands at "you better DPS or you are bad".

You better be wearing STR accessories as a tank what the gently caress are you doing wearing fending gear you noob. You know, despite the game itself telling you that fending gear is for you.

#1 Rule of MMOs: The players always know better than the developers. :eng99:

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.
lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

KaneTW posted:

OF are leaking.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...l=1#post3303588

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is actually true

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Sufficiently dumb emptyquoting is indistinguishable from the real thing.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's like the healer DPS debate all over again. Devs have said "hey yo we don't make this poo poo with healer DPS in mind, maybe you could try not relying on it to get through content", and yet overwhelming opinion still stands at "you better DPS or you are bad".

You better be wearing STR accessories as a tank what the gently caress are you doing wearing fending gear you noob. You know, despite the game itself telling you that fending gear is for you.

This isn't what they said at all.

quote:

Yoshida: Yes. Since all DPS jobs will be increasing up through level 60, it makes sense to have the white mage's DPS extend by a proportional amount as well. For development, such as with Bahamut's Coils, the development team assumes what the item level should be for general equipment on players when they clear a raid. They sum up the basic DPS for four DPS and tanks at that assumed item level and cut that by about 10-15% for the minimum clear DPS. Healer DPS is not taken into account when this is set. Certainly for people who are at world's first level, their goal is to clear it at as low an item level as possible, lower than the one assumed during development. So if you look at the fight and figure out that if it's not numerically possible to clear with four DPS and tanks, you'll need to make up the gap with DPS from healers. Then when those publish clear videos and other people see the healers DPSing, they might think that healers need to be DPSing even though its a situation that only arose because their clear would have otherwise been impossible. While we could take this into account, and assume a different item level in the next update which would then make it impossible to clear even with the healer DPS, we'd eliminate this type of play for highly skilled players who use communication, items, and a high level of understanding to come up with those last second clears. That would be a tough decision to make, so I still think it should be up to each party's own plans. This is also one of the reasons we decided to implement both a normal and savage version of Alexander. Once again, healer DPS was not included in the development team's calculation as it was for other jobs, so you should just think of healer DPS as a last way to get your overall party's DPS up to where it needs to be
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125732-Game-Watch-Translation-Yoshida-Interview-on-Heavensward-(EU-Media-Event-5-19)

Most DPS do not perform as well as they should and even if any extra DPS helps you mitigate fuckups. If you're sitting around doing nothing or not contributing to doing the maximum possible amount of raid DPS you're underperforming.

Besides, players do literally know better than the developers. Breaking things is always easier than constructing them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

KaneTW posted:

Sufficiently dumb emptyquoting is indistinguishable from the real thing.

Oh right, Poetic's Law.

Also, healer DPS is practically mandatory as long as people aren't dying.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

KaneTW posted:

This isn't what they said at all.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125732-Game-Watch-Translation-Yoshida-Interview-on-Heavensward-(EU-Media-Event-5-19)

Most DPS do not perform as well as they should and even if any extra DPS helps you mitigate fuckups. If you're sitting around doing nothing or not contributing to doing the maximum possible amount of raid DPS you're underperforming.

Besides, players do literally know better than the developers. Breaking things is always easier than constructing them.

Why is this a debate. If you aren't doing anything on a 2.5 sec cooldown or if what you are going is overhealing, then if you want to be a team guy/girl then you will do something else in that 2.5 sec time frame, like dps. This is a huge amount of time and i think think jeb bush is your man.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Oh right, Poetic's Law.

MotherFUCKER

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Nien posted:

Why is this a debate. If you aren't doing anything on a 2.5 sec cooldown or if what you are going is overhealing, then if you want to be a team guy/girl then you will do something else in that 2.5 sec time frame, like dps. This is a huge amount of time and i think think jeb bush is your man.

I just find it... interesting that people push so hard on Healer DPS in XIV when other MMOs hardly put that pressure on. I suppose it's a largely less fastpaced environment due to the 2.5s GCD or other factors involved I don't know I just have seen plenty of healers make an issue out of being pushed into DPS modes and noticeably a fair number of them are veterans of other games rather than people that started with XIV.

I've made enough of an rear end of myself for awhile I think I'll just bow out of this traphole of a topic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's as simple as healing classes have powerful enough heals in FFXIV that they don't need to be constantly healing, so might as well do something else with my time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also in most other MMOs, healers and tanks can't do 75% of the dps that true dps classes can. Tanks and healers in FF14 are hybrid dps classes, whether that's intended or not.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
I'm a dev I know better than players. Wait crafted gear is better for raiding? This is literally news to us even though it's been happening for over a year also you won't be able to clear T12 on the first week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

idk i had a stance dancing healer today in fractal and we had a 17 minute run because everyone was doing optimal DPS for their job, that was pretty nice imho

i also ran into an AST who didnt have protect

yesterday i met a ninja who tanked and a marauder who confusedly trailed behind us overpowering occasionally

all three of those runs cleared, people who play mmos are weird, as long as they arent going out of their way to waste my time i really dont give a poo poo

• Locked thread