Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It would be nice if they actually made the gossip notifications configurable, rather than just "we'll remove the ones we deem least important" (because you know they'll just gently caress that up)

I'm cautiously optimistic about it (and the UI updates in general) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
No acknowledgement of bugs, and I'm absolutely not interested in the religious mechanics, but I'm cautiously optimistic about UI improvements.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Bugs? I must have misheard you. There are no bugs in this glorious game, comrade.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Bugs? I must have misheard you. There are no bugs in this glorious game, comrade.

"Nuclear Weaponry is the Future! How can you not see that?" Ancient Era Gandhi.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

MORE religious units??

Who has been asking for that?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Madmarker posted:

"Nuclear Weaponry is the Future! How can you not see that?" Ancient Era Gandhi.

HE SAID NO BUGS. GOOD DAY SIR.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

MORE religious units??

I sent Firaxis twenty-seven emails detailing my ideas for different kinds of religious units and I am glad to see they did something, even if they didn't take my idea to turn religious structures into fast-food franchise districts in the modern era

the alternative would have been taking out those districts entirely, and nobody wants that!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The two new civs are Indonesia and Khmer according to Civfanatics.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

MORE religious units??

Yeah, I dunno. I feel like religion was one of the real misses in civ 6, it kinda just feels like a more annoying, more tug-of-war domination victory.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Religion should be completely passive. More units to micro is not very satisfying at all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This is truly the end of an era.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

quote:

I’m Sarah Darney with the dev team

Haha, I was going to ask what the chances were of this person actually being a dev and not some marketing schmo so I googled her

She's a marketing manager

Why don't they just have their goddamn devs talk to their fans?

Edit: Though fair's fair, she did spend five years in QA

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gort posted:

Haha, I was going to ask what the chances were of this person actually being a dev and not some marketing schmo so I googled her

She's a marketing manager

Why don't they just have their goddamn devs talk to their fans?

Edit: Though fair's fair, she did spend five years in QA

They did. Did you not remember the Beyond Earth Dev Streams? Those were an adorable trainwreck of awkwardness, especially when they invited Mad Djinn on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Alkydere posted:

They did. Did you not remember the Beyond Earth Dev Streams? Those were an adorable trainwreck of awkwardness, especially when they invited Mad Djinn on.

Okay, I will raise my request to the alpine heights of "someone on the dev team who has seen a civ game from a distance of less than ten miles at some point"

Actually, they were just marketing managers on those as well. Check it out:

Direct from Firaxis Games, Pete Murray plays Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth for the first time on Twitch! Watch as he demonstrates the difference between Civilization V's barbarians and Beyond Earth's complex aliens.

Pete Murray is a Marketing Manager same as the one who made the statement about the "fall update". They don't let their devs speak.

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 10, 2017

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Gort posted:

Okay, I will raise my request to the alpine heights of "someone on the dev team who has seen a civ game from a distance of less than ten miles at some point"

Actually, they were just marketing managers on those as well. Check it out:

Direct from Firaxis Games, Pete Murray plays Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth for the first time on Twitch! Watch as he demonstrates the difference between Civilization V's barbarians and Beyond Earth's complex aliens.

Pete Murray is a Marketing Manager same as the one who made the statement about the "fall update". They don't let their devs speak.

The last time they had one of their Devs speak he accidentally leaked the entire roster. There's a reason they don't have Ed on camera too much lol.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
They let Jake Solomon from XCOM on camera all the time. He's pretty charismatic though. But, yeah, Firaxis could really take a page from Paradox on PR and patching and such.

More religious unit combat is not what I want, but I've honestly given up on 6 until we get the (inevitable) expansion, at which point I'll reassess, I guess.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

game devs dont want to talk to you and you dont want to talk to them, either

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Efexeye posted:

game devs dont want to talk to you and you dont want to talk to them, either

Paradox devs are cool and good

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Taear posted:

The two new civs are Indonesia and Khmer according to Civfanatics.

Despite what will likely be a disappointing and potentially bug ridden patch, these are cool Civs to have.

Silver lining, ho!

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I'm glad to see more follower beliefs and that stuff because I think religion needs a buff to be worthwhile for a player. But adding more religious units? Hrmm... I think the idea to have "theological combat" was kinda interesting when VI came around but it just doesn't amount to something that is very interesting to use. It's like a secondary combat system that doesn't have any of the depth of the regular combat system.

And of course, what I probably find worst of all with this 1upt system, it clutters the goddamn map even more.

Still, will be interesting to see the full patch notes. More navy presence is certainly a welcome addition but it's kinda hard to get excited about things that should just be in the game. If there are naval units, the AI should be able to use naval units. If the there is aircraft the AI should be able to use them, etc.

I am glad to see that they are willing to screw around a bit with the mechanics and add new stuff in a patch though. But I wonder how this will turn out. Hopefully the religious units stuff will be better than it looks on paper.

EDIT: The weirdest thing about Firaxis and the way they handle the community for Civ is... I mean, we all know that Civ is a very community driven game, and a game that's in it for the "long run". It's a perfect game to have an active relationship with the community on, just like many other developers do with their sorta "long running" games. So I really don't understand this method of complete radio silence, then a patch+DLC suddenly hits, and then complete radio silence again. Especially in this day and age where kickstarter games have really driven the community interaction to the forefront. It seems really stiff to handle it the way Firaxis handles it.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 10, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd be happy with religious spread being some passive function of a given city's faith/culture generation, with certain religious buildings or policies being more focused around offensive pressure or defensive pressure.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I would be more excited about theological combat if it did other things, modifying the cultural or military landscape. I guess that's what they're going for with warrior monks (and I could see them doing more of): unique units bought with faith that compensate for putting in a temple rather than a barracks, at least early in the game.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Though now that I read it more closely, it looks like the Warrior Monk will be unlocked via selecting a certain follower belief rather than being a "usual" religious unit so I guess that can be cool.

I wish they made the religious units work on a separate layer from all the other stuff though so you wouldn't run into roadblocking issues. Then if you're in a war with someone, you should be able to run them over with your military but in peacetime it'd be nice to be able to have the missionaries and stuff not be in the way for regular units and vice versa.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Let's get rid of stacking!

introduces a separate combat layer that operates on its own stack layer.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't believe that that AI will be better at naval combat, I think the new diplomatic UI will be bugged, and I don't more religious units for the AI to spam.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol remember when you all wanted updates and interaction from the developer. Not like this !

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

euphronius posted:

lol remember when you all wanted updates and interaction from the developer. Not like this !

That's not a developer, that's a marketing manager

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My own opinion, which like all my opinions is cool and correct, is that Firaxis has irrecoverably gone Full EA and any optimism you might feel about the future of Civ is pure wishful thinking

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

Paradox devs are cool and good
Do they even have a soulless and fun hating marketing department, that for some reason seems to be out to sabotage everything, like other companies do?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

*Computer tells me about nuclear weapons in 3000 BCE*

drat I COULD REALLY USE A DEEPER OVERALL EXPERIENCE, WITH REVAMPED RELIGIOUS COMBAT

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

euphronius posted:

"2K and Firaxis are excited to announce the inclusion of all-new content for the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe edition, enhancing its value to deliver both strong savings"

strong savings is a really strange way to hype up DLC :pwn:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Poil posted:

Do they even have a soulless and fun hating marketing department, that for some reason seems to be out to sabotage everything, like other companies do?

Not yet, but they will sooner or later. Every successful small company inevitably grows large enough that Marketing pros seize control of it, because they're far better at sounding persuasive to executives than people who work for a living.

Modern day Firaxis is an excellent case in point!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Instead of adding more religious units to flood my lands and force me to completely ignore the religious aspect of the game, why not make trading what is was in Civ V byallowing religion to spread through trade routes?

No, a warrior monk will probably fix it.

I really hate the way they did trade in this game, and I can't imagine why they didn't copy it over more directly from V. Trading without the route benefiting the destination city is stupid.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Human Crouton posted:

I really hate the way they did trade in this game, and I can't imagine why they didn't copy it over more directly from V. Trading without the route benefiting the destination city is stupid.

Trade in both games was one of those systems that felt really off to me. Like it had been hacked in by a mod.

Like trade map mode should have let me zoom out, see trade routes connecting cities with arrows, and drag drop adjust them or something, with profits popping up on the map. I dunno.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gort posted:

That's not a developer, that's a marketing manager

That's the joke my friend !

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I hope there's more to it, cause that's pretty underwhelming list of features

Also, I bet the new naval AI will be completely broken and retarded at launch

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weeping Wound posted:

"2K and Firaxis are excited to announce the inclusion of all-new content for the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe edition, enhancing its value to deliver both strong savings"

strong savings is a really strange way to hype up DLC :pwn:
They sure give me strong savings, by heavily discouraging me from buying their products. :psyduck:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Even with all of the problems with the game Civ VI is beautiful. That's what seems to keep me playing.

The AI in Civ IV seemed to be pretty decent at combat (or maybe I'm just terrible). Did they break it at some point?

This update will be a pay for it one too won't it?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cartoon posted:

This update will be a pay for it one too won't it?

They will be releasing a new DLC civ along with the update, but you get the patch whether you get the DLC or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Did they.exhaust the special edition deluxe benefits?