Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Don't even need a week, in 4 days some people are gonna do some beta testing for us :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

frajaq posted:

Don't even need a week, in 4 days some people are gonna do some beta testing for us :v:

Just out of curiosity, how many of you playing early with EA access haven't already pre-ordered, and are waiting on the demo to form your opinions of the game?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

frajaq posted:

Yeah. I know I want to play this game whatever but if the feedback from goons playing the EA Access build is positive, I'll pre-order for the Amazon Prime discount, otherwise I'll wait for some patches and buy it later. EA Access is good for everyone in that respect.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Ive got MEA preordered and have Origin Access so I'll give a trip report Friday

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BrianWilly posted:

Bioware is a gift to be treasured

[x]

You have a time machine and you're using it to post comics?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I think the game will be ok. Then next (?) Year when CDR releases their SciFi/Cyberpunk game we will wonder how we could like the turd that I as ME:A.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Personal_Nirvana posted:

The worst thing that could happen to ME:A (albeit not Bioware's fault) is being nestled between 2 huge and incredible good games (Zelda and Nier) in a year where every triple A game delivered more than expected up to this point.

I have no doubt it will be a fun game, but maybe people will judge a bit too harshly

Nier is a huge release? I had to google what that was and it looks like a JRPG targeted towards teenage boys

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nier is very well-reviewed but it's kind of a niche title, although popular among goons.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the panacea posted:

I think the game will be ok. Then next (?) Year when CDR releases their SciFi/Cyberpunk game we will wonder how we could like the turd that I as ME:A.

I couldnt even play DA:I after Witcher 3. Game whiplash if i ever saw one.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Just out of curiosity, how many of you playing early with EA access haven't already pre-ordered, and are waiting on the demo to form your opinions of the game?

Me, I am one of these sads.

exquisite tea posted:

When Mas Effect came out, there was really nothing else out that duplicated the experience as far as choice-based narrative games go. I know some nerd is about to type "Alpha Protocol" but like 5 people played that game, so for all intents and purposes, Mass Effect is mostly what people knew. Bioware was attempting something enormously ambitious in trying to carry over player choice and consequence across an entire sweeping trilogy, which didn't always end up working out, but I respected the effort. But in the years following ME3, we've seen both more intimate narrative games that better present the illusion of choice and consequence (TWD, Life is Strange, Until Dawn) as well as AAA blockbusters that match the scope and scale of Mass Effect's story (TW3, Horizon, Uncharted, GTAV). So what space does Andromeda occupy? I guess some of us were kind of hoping that it would attempt something new, but lately Bioware has felt like a very reactive publisher instead of a groundbreaking one. When Inquisition came out the talking heads all said "we're just like Skyrim!" now that it's 2017 the Andromeda people are saying "we're just like TW3! You like that game, right?" It just seems like there's no ambition behind this project. Sure it's in a new galaxy, but contrived to be as indistinguishable from the Milky Way as possible, with the same old regular stock aliens as before. I like ambition in games, even when that ambition fails, but I'm just not feeling it here.

At the same time, many of these other games, while excellent in their own right, don't offer the same kind of experience ME or even DA does. None of them have companions or party based combat. Uncharted/GTA isn't a classic 'choose-your-own-adventure' RPG, Horizon*/Witcher 3 doesn't allow for significant character customization, none of them are space operas. Like, I'd call these games story-driven, but I'd struggle to call them RPGs in the classic sense (Witcher 3 excepted).

*I have yet to play Horizon, so I don't know much about it other than brief gameplay videos on Youtube.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Should I buy this akward space dating simulator?

This is just going to be inquisition in space isn't it?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Norns posted:

I liked Inquisition, so I hope so.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Norns posted:

But with ME3 combat, fixing the only bad thing about DAI

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
A not-poo poo main villain would be a nice improvement too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't think this thread has a very good grasp on the temperature of gaming audiences that aren't this thread.

I look forward to all the passive aggressive bitching about how little taste the average gamer has when MEA, predictably, sells really well just like every other Bioware property.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

hexal posted:

What was wrong with Solas?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't think this thread has a very good grasp on the temperature of gaming audiences that aren't this thread.

I look forward to all the passive aggressive bitching about how little taste the average gamer has when MEA, predictably, sells really well just like every other Bioware property.

It will be interesting to see when the franchise wears out its welcome among the general audience. I think Bioware has a good handle on how to cater to their core fans, but that infographic showing that most people picked default male soldier Shepard should be telling them that the general audience is more interested in general shootmans action, and the RPG elements are just window dressing. I don't know how people will react to the largely-linear ME3 being turned into an open-world shooter. It'll probably sell well, but if the general audience doesn't react well, it might set up the next one for trouble.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Serf posted:

I don't know how people will react to the largely-linear ME3 being turned into an open-world shooter.

Probably quite well. Open world games are very popular.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

In the end it's all gonna be about the ~~feel~~ of the game, which only ME does right now.

People can say The Witcher 3 all they want but in the end that's a medieval/fantasy setting with only like 3 races.

Even CDPR's next title would be, well, cyberpunk which would only be on Earth and only with humans (I assume a lot here).

Only Bioware with Mass Effect gives me the whole space exploration/meeting new races/shooting new races/RPG package these days.

I loving wish someone like Obsidian would make a scifi game but they seem to only do fantasy stuff these days :smith:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Cyberpunk 2077 has dating sim elements. After that they just should close Bioware.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I preordered but can't play until I'm done with school in June. I figure all the bugs/modding/whatever will be done by then.

Also where is that post that says "The more I read about Witcher 3 the less I want to play it" because Jesus Christ I need to quote that a few dozen times.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm 0 for 2 for recent releases I was excited about. Fallout 4 and Mankind Divided sucked. Will this make it 0/3? Excited to find out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Labes for days posted:

Also where is that post that says "The more I read about Witcher 3 the less I want to play it" because Jesus Christ I need to quote that a few dozen times.

Hype Fatigue: the harder people push something, the less interested you are. I had it really bad with Undertale. It is a good game, but my god people would just not stop gushing over it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

reagan posted:

I'm 0 for 2 for recent releases I was excited about. Fallout 4 and Mankind Divided sucked. Will this make it 0/3? Excited to find out.

im 0-4

Fallout
MGSV
Deus EX
Mafia III

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

hexal posted:

ME:A DLC: The Wrath of Kai Leng

Serf
May 5, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Probably quite well. Open world games are very popular.

Right, I forgot that was an SA thing. It'll probably be pretty well received then.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

im 0-4

Fallout
MGSV
Deus EX
Mafia III

MGSV had fun game play but the story was non existent. I have the same feeling that Andromeda is going to be the same, great gameplay with a disappointing story.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dave Brookshaw posted:

What was wrong with Solas?

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again."
"Got it, so I should try to destroy the world again?"
"Wait what?"

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rabid Snake posted:

MGSV had fun game play but the story was non existent. I have the same feeling that Andromeda is going to be the same, great gameplay with a disappointing story.

Also it was unfinished. I wanted to be Big Boss building Outer Heaven. drat you Kojima, you broke my heart.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Witcher 3 is fun to watch on youtube but a real chore to actually play and it had a bigger budget than mass effect 3.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

It sounds like they were allowed to at least finished writing a story for andromeda so it can't be that bad

I actually loved mgs 5 but yeah that plot was a hot mess

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cool I don't really give a gently caress about the general gaming audience. That's why I post here

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Skippy McPants posted:

Hype Fatigue: the harder people push something, the less interested you are. I had it really bad with Undertale. It is a good game, but my god people would just not stop gushing over it.

I have no interest in playing Undertale for similar reasons but I'm really sick of seeing it this thread that is putatively about Mass Effect. I don't think I've seen the Witcher series mentioned anywhere else to this degree.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Labes for days posted:

I have no interest in playing Undertale for similar reasons but I'm really sick of seeing it this thread that is putatively about Mass Effect. I don't think I've seen the Witcher series mentioned anywhere else to this degree.

Well one of the hype points that Bioware has made is that this game has storylines in the style of W3. I think its fair to compare the products.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So take this with a grain of salt if you want but the backwards gun may have been deliberate beacuse of some bizzare ESRB censorship issue. Apparently advertisement videos like the PAX gameplay showcase are not allowed to show a gun being pointed directly at the camera for fear of being threatening in nature of the subject matter towards an audience. So this was a workaround Bioware did specifically for the presentation, attempting to not make it obvious.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

SgtSteel91 posted:

So take this with a grain of salt if you want but the backwards gun may have been deliberate beacuse of some bizzare ESRB censorship issue. Apparently advertisement videos like the PAX gameplay showcase are not allowed to show a gun being pointed directly at the camera for fear of being threatening in nature of the subject matter towards an audience. So this was a workaround Bioware did specifically for the presentation, attempting to not make it obvious.

Makes a lot more sense than choosing a clip without a gun pointed at the camera.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Personally with what we've seen I'm expecting DA:I:ME:A that sets a new standard for mile-wide-inch-deep single-player MMO huge zones with nothing in them.

Panzeh posted:

Witcher 3 is fun to watch on youtube but a real chore to actually play and it had a bigger budget than mass effect 3.

Guy with a Hitler avatar has wrong opinions, shocking!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

even better than the witcher posts (which most of are made in fair comparison to what bioware has been offering as of late) is this attitude of "oh my loving god shut up about that thing that seems good and popular, I am just sick"

That attitude of "I am not going to see that [acclaimed critically and popular movie] because of how people can't just keep talking about it", or "[popular literature classic well regarded to these days], not going to read it because everybody tells me to", or the most traditional of all: the music snob that won't listen to a new, cool and good album because it is popular is just self-pretentious gooniness of the highest degree

Witcher 3 has been brought often and will be brought often a thousand times because CDPR came and offered something that has struck a chord with the public and has received great public and critical acclaim, which any top-flight developer should pay attention to. And if you don't give a gently caress about Witcher specifically, well, other games will come up: posters are already bringing how good Horizon Zero Dawn is and is terms of critical perception it is much worse for Bioware to have a game like that coming this hot just before ME:A, because guess what - people compare stuff because they build their perceptions from the references they have, and that is how genres and mediums grow and develop

And then it is funny that a lot of the "negative" posters here are the ones who are perfectly fine with the deal they are getting from it: hot krogan vanguard jetpack full-blasting action and it is probably going to be awesome

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Making the "it sold a lot of units therefore it's good" argument before release, a bold strategy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'm now inspired to blitz through 1, 2, and 3 before release.

Paragon run let's roll.