Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The gauntlet was thrown, and 1 walked away, and another did not. Let this moment be recorded in the eyes of god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
you are asking me to read things that are only in there at the most basic level. It's like asking someone to watch thomas the tank engine and look for feminist viewpoints.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Do you know what toxic masculinity means? Or how it might relate to a world where a "giant" old patriarch rules over a cult of war boys who bring him sex slaves to receive his blessing?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Do you know what toxic masculinity means? Or how it might relate to a world where a "giant" old patriarch rules over a cult of war boys who bring him sex slaves to receive his blessing?

I do, but none of that translates into "being a good movie".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah there was soooooo much going on in Fury Road beyond "well it's just a long car chase!" It wasn't just in the conversations either but even just the theming of the movie.

It was also a drat fine action flick, gently caress the haters.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ok, I concede that it's not objectively a good movie, just as you just did there is a lot more to it than a car chase.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fury road was really really good but it was still no Starship Troopers

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Starship Troopers and Robocop are brilliant movies. Verhoeven was a genious. I try to emulate his tone (and some others too) in my posting.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

doverhog posted:

Starship Troopers and Robocop are brilliant movies. Verhoeven was a genious. I try to emulate his tone (and some others too) in my posting.

both incredible films with highly diminished sequels

Caufman
May 7, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Fury road was really really good but it was still no Starship Troopers

:hmmyes:

The Starship Troopers film with the most heart was the second one, even though it was the lowest budgeted one and the most obviously mediocre.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

This song is pretty dope, ironically ofc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lmao more like an autistic masterpiece

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Fury Road answers the question who are all these loving maniacs dying on the road, well some of them are WAR BOYS looking for a way to die so Immortan Joe will take them to Valhalla.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Just because there is subtext doesn't make it "art".
Of course it's art. Art is "the conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colours, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the senses and emotions". Art is any "skillful creative activity". "Art" isn't a distinction of quality or worth.

It's like asking someone to watch thomas the tank engine and look for feminist viewpoints.
What would be wrong with that?

none of that translates into "being a good movie".
No one said it did.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you don't like Fury Road then you don't like fun action movies. It was awesome. Awesome and loud and full of cool cars and explosions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fury Road's ultra simplistic story is actually one of it's strengths not weaknesses. Also, it has no weaknesses because it's perfect.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you don't like Fury Road then you don't like fun action movies. It was awesome. Awesome and loud and full of cool cars and explosions.

I love Fury Road, saw it in theater twice. It marries all the visual flare, action, etc. with a deep message about how the insane old patriarchy can be defeated, it is possible. I do not understand how anyone could miss the message of the movie, it is about how an old guy in a skull mask tells young men what to do, to serve him, and in the end all those young men are dead, and the women take over. Can the political message be any more clear? Should the director appear on screen and tell you what it is about?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

You posted:

I love Fury Road, saw it in theater twice. It marries all the visual flare, action, etc. with a deep message about how the insane old patriarchy can be defeated, it is possible. I do not understand how anyone could miss the message of the movie, it is about how an old guy in a skull mask tells young men what to do, to serve him, and in the end all those young men are dead, and the women take over. Can the political message be any more clear? Should the director appear on screen and tell you what it is about?

Me, an intellectual posted:

But far from serving as a cautionary tale about the ecological and spiritual devastation wrought by industrial capitalism, Fury Road is in fact a celebration of the triumph of modernity over “traditional,” “primitive” society in apocalyptic times.

And although much has been made of the film’s supposed feminism — with Charlize Theron’s portrayal of Imperatur Furiosa achieving a status that nearly equals that of Thomas Hardy’s Max — in the end, the film affirms the existing order of things rather than challenging us to reconsider our responsibility for making the future.

In Fury Road...modernity is the antidote to the rise of barbarism in the face of severe ecological crisis. In this Mad Max, barbarism is not associated with industrialization, capitalism, or the failure of modernity, but rather with pre-modern, “traditional,” patriarchal society. Despite the film’s setting in an ecological wasteland wrought by capitalist modernity, Fury Road presents the Western conception of modernity, rationality, and individuality as the only alternative to the uncivilized Other.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Are you quoting some article? I would be ashamed to do so, I post my own thoughts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

doverhog posted:

Are you quoting some article? I would be ashamed to do so, I post my own thoughts.

Yeah, it's a loving terrible article by a left-wing site that completely misreads the film and comes to some stunningly stupid conclusions.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ok, sorry for the slow uptake I am quite drunk.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

doverhog posted:

Ok, sorry for the slow uptake I am quite drunk.

:cb:

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Saying "y'all" is cultural appropriation if youre not Southern. gently caress y'all who say it. Y'all called me a redneck and hick and made fun of me when i said it as a kid, back when it was NATURAL for me to say it because my daddy said it and his daddy a'fore him. Now its the internet time and y'all think y'all can just say it????? Oh, its COOL to say y'all now? Y'all thinks it cool and its y'alls to say now???? Y'all think its y'alls word??????!!!!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Star posted:

Saying "y'all" is cultural appropriation if youre not Southern. gently caress y'all who say it. Y'all called me a redneck and hick and made fun of me when i said it as a kid, back when it was NATURAL for me to say it because my daddy said it and his daddy a'fore him. Now its the internet time and y'all think y'all can just say it????? Oh, its COOL to say y'all now? Y'all thinks it cool and its y'alls to say now???? Y'all think its y'alls word??????!!!!!!

Y'es

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cultural appropriation is good most of the time

Tacos Al Pastor are better than Doner kebabs

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I love a good sausage, I even love a bad sausage. Just a meat tube to put in your mouth, yum. (still drunk, passed out at the computer for a while, still have some free time, Lowtax please live I will post in your honor).

Did you PYF guyes know Lowtax is dying and needs money? Give him money.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Why give money to a dead guy

doverhog
May 31, 2013

He's not dead yet, he needs the money to not die.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Star posted:

that culture wanted slaves sooo...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

doverhog posted:

I love a good sausage, I even love a bad sausage. Just a meat tube to put in your mouth, yum. (still drunk, passed out at the computer for a while, still have some free time, Lowtax please live I will post in your honor).

Did you PYF guyes know Lowtax is dying and needs money? Give him money.

What happened to the Xenforo move?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

What happened to my drawing of a spaceship ?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

that culture wanted slaves sooo...

if cultural appropriation suddenly becomes okay because a culture did bad things or had bad aspects, well then i guess every culture on earth is up for grabs. *wears kimono*

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Blue Star posted:

if cultural appropriation suddenly becomes okay because a culture did bad things or had bad aspects, well then i guess every culture on earth is up for grabs. *wears kimono*

Y'all needs to chill.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

What happened to the Xenforo move?

His bones are like ash now, they had to install metal into his spine. This is not a joke, Lowtax is a cyborg now and needs our money to survive. He is in serious medical debt due to the poo poo US medical system, 70k or so IIRC. There is real danger the whole thing will be shut down.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some goons must be millionaires. Buy the forum from Lowtax.

Actually that's probably a good way to lose money

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If I was a millionaire I would do it, with no intention of making a profit on it, sadly I have just enough money to keep me in booze and rear end for the brief respites I have from work. If you the millionaire are reading this help out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fury Road was, if nothing else, the ideal Mad Max film because it is a solid and entertaining action movie with a simple-but-nuanced plot, interesting thematic elements, great cinematography, and no Mel Gibson.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seinfeld is basically a live action slice-of-life moe anime

BrBa
Oct 12, 2012
The Road Warrior is a lot better than Fury Road because of its smaller scale. It was one ragged little outpost against maybe two dozen bikers; in Fury Road you have a huge town with thousands of people (who somehow survive with the tiny amount of water Immortan Joe dispenses) and hundreds of monster trucks in what's supposed the gas-scarce apocalypse, it's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

you are asking me to read things that are only in there at the most basic level. It's like asking someone to watch thomas the tank engine and look for feminist viewpoints.

purple death ray posted:

Been reading this thread at work for a while and I finally reached the end. I think it's an unpopular opinion but yeah I eat rear end is the dumbest mother fucker in this thread, even beyond tiggum and others.