Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Minera posted:

I went to see it. It was... okay. A 2 out of 4 star if there ever was one. Especially because I went to see Fall Guy a few weeks ago, which was just a perfectly paced and written "action movie," so this just felt stodgy and like it wanted to be more than it is.

I remember really liking the first three movies, but this one just felt kind of tortured and vision-less compared to that. I went in with an expectation of: Okay, we finished the "trilogy", now they're gonna subvert expectations by doing the flip side of the original movie, but from the side of the apes. So I'm expecting the human who can talk (gasp!) to be an astronaut, Raka to be Dr. Zaius, etc etc. Then as the movie goes on I'm realizing they're *not* doing this, and at first I'm a little relieved that they want to tell their own story, but their own story was so bad I just wanted to see the campy re-imagining instead.

I suppose it suffers a lot from having to rebuild its entire cast, but none of them are likeable; the protagonist, Noa, is shown as quiet and brooding and is supposed to be smart and respected by other characters for it, but it's all unearned; he arrives in the eponymous Kingdom, and the King Proximus is meant to be the antagonist and villain, but he just hosts a dinner for Noa and tells him his plans and just lets him do whatever he wants to foil said plans. There's a brief pat on the back congratulating him on fixing a taser as if it's an impressive feat; if it's supposed to be impressive than who made all the loving tasers they're using in the first place?? Then there's more Action scenes and the King shows up and decides to kill Noa, which backfires on him. Happy ending, although... can apes and humans co exist??? And the humans have a cure for the virus(?) that was saved on a hard drive, so presumably the next movie will be about : Can humans and apes co exist??? Which was just the plot of the first trilogy.

It feels like it could have been an actual interesting movie or set up for another trilogy if they had treated it more seriously. Show the apes assembling an actual society that mirrors the evils of humanity's past societies, like, you know, an actual Kingdom, instead of just a guy named King who may as well be a generic Marvel villain with no followers or servants or anything.

It's probably the exact type of Hollywood Blockbuster that Mike could actually see a lot of potential for an enjoyable movie in, and they reviewed the other planet of the apes movies, so they might half in the bag it. I'd have to go rewatch their reviews of the old ones to get a sense of how much they'd tear into it though.

That's too many words about the ape movie; I am sorry to do this to you but

Tldr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fall Guy was fun though, it poked the movie industry a lot

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

sharknado slashfic posted:

That's too many words about the ape movie; I am sorry to do this to you but

Tldr

oh it definitely is, but after seeing it i cant help but feel like mike must have when he saw the new ghostbusters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was out at a bad movie night and since Corman died they rescheduled their secret film to instead play Death Race 2000 so it was a good night.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

There's a good video of some Jon favreau show where famous people eat together and talk about movies I guess? That has a roundtable of Jon favreau Rob zombie Bruce Campbell and Roger corman and Faizon Love where there's some great stories from corman who is comes off as the coolest guy in the universe.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/muvG8Dw9cTb5H9dN/?mibextid=wWqvZr Google doesn't work anymore so here's a Facebook link to what I can only assume is an Italian evil dead group?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roger Corman at heaven trying yelling about how they didn't need to put pearls all the way around the gates

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Corman had the name rights to The Fast and The Furious, and when this new Vin Diesel flick was being made Universal Pictures really wanted the title.

So he cut a deal - they could use the name, but in exchange Corman got unlimited free access to the Universal Pictures stock footage, for life. And he kept all the numbered sequel names, which is why none of the fast and furious sequels just have a 2 or 3 added to the end.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Tunicate posted:

Corman had the name rights to The Fast and The Furious, and when this new Vin Diesel flick was being made Universal Pictures really wanted the title.

So he cut a deal - they could use the name, but in exchange Corman got unlimited free access to the Universal Pictures stock footage, for life. And he kept all the numbered sequel names, which is why none of the fast and furious sequels just have a 2 or 3 added to the end.

Ah, so Universal had him killed, Boeing style. Gotcha.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Corman's Poe films are legit great, Masque of the Red Death especially

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

khwarezm posted:

Corman is something else, he made nothing but crap but was incredibly important in the careers of most of the greatest living directors and actors in Hollywood today, especially Coppola and Scorsese, so everyone rightly loves him.

Roger Corman made a ton of great movies. I mean, have you seen any of his Poe adaptations?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I mean, I’ve seen Poe Dameron in JJ Abrams’ classic “The Rise of Skywalker,” if that’s what you’re asking.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Watched The Intruder on Twitch last night and what a movie for Corman to make when he did. Just throwing the ugliness and vileness of racism straight in your face unapologetically.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gripweed posted:

Roger Corman made a ton of great movies. I mean, have you seen any of his Poe adaptations?

poo poo, maybe I shouldn't have just watched his sci-fi stuff.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i liked the first three of the new ape planet films a lot

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked the one where they do a big fight against humans on a bridge.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

all my apes, watched

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I liked that old black and white one where the ape washes a cat

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

The original Little Shop of Horrors being shot on sets from another one of his films in the two days before they were torn down is one of my favorite bits of Hollywood trivia. What a madman rip to the best to ever do it.

And it's a great little movie that i like better than the 80s one tbh

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLMs6Lq_hvI

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Paul Schrader didn't wait until Roger Corman was cold before throwing shade. From his Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/oS3xDp4KMj97hZgU/?mibextid=oFDknk

ROGER CORMAN. Let's not too sentimental about Corman. Even in my exploitational extremes I couldn't interest Corman in my scripts. Rolling Thunder began at AIP but moved on to 20th. Roger wouldn't touch Blue Collar even with Pryor. As soon as they could
Coppola, Scorsese and Demme all moved away from AIP. Roger was better at hyping his rep than at making good films or supporting good filmmakers.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
roger probably knew about one of schraders many incredibly probable dark secrets

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jazzyjay posted:

Paul Schrader didn't wait until Roger Corman was cold before throwing shade. From his Facebook:

ROGER CORMAN. Let's not too sentimental about Corman. Even in my exploitational extremes I couldn't interest Corman in my scripts. Rolling Thunder began at AIP but moved on to 20th. Roger wouldn't touch Blue Collar even with Pryor. As soon as they could
Coppola, Scorsese and Demme all moved away from AIP. Roger was better at hyping his rep than at making good films or supporting good filmmakers.

Seems kinda rude

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Roger Corman died rip

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Jay we need you

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The thing I like most about 12 Angry Men is that it's so good I never notice it takes place entirely in one room

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sharknado slashfic posted:

The thing I like most about 12 Angry Men is that it's so good I never notice it takes place entirely in one room

It doesn't. Aside from the ending on the steps there's also a scene in the bathroom.

localmeme
May 13, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 13, 2024

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

it's like I found the body at the beginning of a law & order

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Gripweed posted:

It doesn't. Aside from the ending on the steps there's also a scene in the bathroom.

I'm going to fight you in the parking lot of your local applebees

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Molothecat posted:

*Questioning you while you stack boxes*

So you say the permabanned guy just posted about some dead actress from a 50-year-old movie no one ever saw? That doesn't make any sense.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

jazzyjay posted:

Wah Wah Wah I know a beloved icon of pop culture just died after a long and accomplished career but I want it to be about meeeee

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Molothecat posted:

Tragic they stopped doing that.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ok.
It happened.
I watched an anime and it was good if a little too exploitative at the end. Plenty of sex creep but everyone was an adult at least.
Am I a weeb now? Do I have to buy a katana and invest in dogecoin?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
have you ordered a wall scroll yet?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ok.
It happened.
I watched an anime and it was good if a little too exploitative at the end. Plenty of sex creep but everyone was an adult at least.

Was it Paprika?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ok.
It happened.
*points at you* ah hah.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

THE BAR posted:

Was it Paprika?

Perfect Blue funnily enough.

PS I think I am becoming a wall scroll but it might be my flatmate(??? I couldn't figure out their relationship) that actually is

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Perfect Blue is good, as someone who doesn't care for anime

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ok.
It happened.

Now you watch Patlabor 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ok.
It happened.

No but you have to report to your old highschool and allow the members of the this thread to ritualistically take your lunch money and stuff you into a locker.