Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jamfrost posted:

Are Rogue's assassin bits okay?

Definitely leagues better than Black Flag's, there's far less eavesdropping or tailing stuff and the ones that are there are brief enough that I can overlook them.

And oh yeah, the game is probably the shortest AssCreed story-wise but I kept coming back to it for the free roaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Also grenade launchers.

Rogue has grenade launchers

vv Edit vv: I did not miss that mini-game

Morter fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 7, 2016

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Swimming underwater and dodging sharks was scary as hell in Black Flag

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I have Black Flag in my library but never played more than a few minutes due to my crummy old video card. Now I've got a 1060 and I'm looking for cool stuff. I enjoyed 1, 2, then fell off around Brotherhood, kinda just tired of the same old.

Is it worth another look? I'm liking all this talk about not being an AC game, but I'm curious how deep and interesting the ship sections are in the game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

TheBigAristotle posted:

I have Black Flag in my library but never played more than a few minutes due to my crummy old video card. Now I've got a 1060 and I'm looking for cool stuff. I enjoyed 1, 2, then fell off around Brotherhood, kinda just tired of the same old.

Is it worth another look? I'm liking all this talk about not being an AC game, but I'm curious how deep and interesting the ship sections are in the game.

Honestly, unless you really care about 'How Edward Kenway became an assassin', just go straight to Rogue. As Deakul has said it's better at non-ship stuff, and it has butte loads of ship stuff anyway.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rogue is basically a distilled Black Flag with bad parts dropped and fun parts expanded upon (mechanically). It has however a worse story, the sea area is split in 2 and it exchanges the tropical atmosphere for a spring/winter one which dulls the pirating effect imo. It also suffered from Revelations effect where it was too much of the same thing right after Black Flag. I really liked it though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

The DLC expansions where Washington builds a giant pyramid in the middle of New York are short, sweet and completely bonkers though, I recommend them.
Are they included in the free game though?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TheBigAristotle posted:

The ship combat is fun but if you're even the least bit thorough you'll be helming a completely unstoppable Dread Ship of the South Seas in 10-20 hours.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheBigAristotle posted:

The ship stuff isn't incredibly deep, but it's a lot of fun. When you take the wheel of the ship, the camera zooms way out and it's like you're playing like a weird over the shoulder version of one of those old top-down space games. You have front cannons that shoot smaller projectiles like chainshot or grapeshot, and then you have broadsides that you line up for your big meaty attacks. You get visual indicators when an enemy is about to fire their guns or whatever, and you can hold down a button to order everybody to brace for impact. Your ship's HP, partially, is in crew members who die or go overboard, so bracing for impact is important. You can also ram things, especially if you buy ship accessories designed for it.

There's also an idle game that generates money for you, where you take the pirate fleet made of ships you captured in the main game and have them go on missions that tick down in the background. It works about the same as sending your combat branch on missions in Metal Gear Solid V.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

The ship combat is fun but if you're even the least bit thorough you'll be helming a completely unstoppable Dread Ship of the South Seas in 10-20 hours.

Is there an element of freedom to that? Like could I squeeze a good dozen hours of straight pirating in, or is the actual ship mission content shallow?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Palpek posted:

Rogue is basically a distilled Black Flag with bad parts dropped and fun parts expanded upon (mechanically). It has however a worse story, the sea area is split in 2 and it exchanges the tropical atmosphere for a spring/winter one which dulls the pirating effect imo. It also suffered from Revelations effect where it was too much of the same thing right after Black Flag. I really liked it though.

I've only ever played the first AC game and a few hours of 2, but I'm kinda interested in Rogue because you get to sail around 18th century Newfoundland. :canada:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is there an element of freedom to that? Like could I squeeze a good dozen hours of straight pirating in, or is the actual ship mission content shallow?

Once you're past the opening segment of the game, you can use the Jackdaw to get anywhere on the game map. There are random quests that send you out to sack a ship for loot, or you can just stir up some trouble yourself and open fire on the Spaniards / Royal Fleet. There are also a few "boss" ship encounters on the world map intended to be beaten once you've fully upgraded the Jackdaw. Once the free roaming part opens up there's no limit as to how much time you can spend pirating but I do believe certain upgrades are hidden behind completing (early) plot points.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mordja posted:

I've only ever played the first AC game and a few hours of 2, but I'm kinda interested in Rogue because you get to sail around 18th century Newfoundland. :canada:

This is exactly me. And I really enjoyed AC1, enough to finish it, it's just hard to devote that much time to such a dense series. Especially when I have titles like Timberman sitting in my backlog.

Back when I was playing SUPERHOT, I came across a cute little minigame called TREEDUDE buried in the guts of its file system. It was a charming little two-button time waster, and I joked that if it existed as a standalone game, I would buy it immediately. Turns out it did, it's called Timberman, and it adds just enough to the basic formula to indeed stand as its own game. Not by much, mind you, but enough.

Timberman is a game about chopping wood. You have a tree to chop, and you can chop at it from the right or left. Every chop knocks a chunk of tree out, dropping the rest towards you and the ground, branches and all. The branches are the tricky part, because if one bops you on the head, you die. And you can't take it slow because you're on a timer that's only replenished by chopping, and it runs out faster the further you get. The game, then, is about dancing around the tree you're chopping to avoid the deadly branches.

That's it. I dragged that explanation out as much as I could, because that is literally it. Chop left, chop right, chop fast, don't die. You can unlock plenty of characters to chop as, from lumberjacks to hockey players to mythical creatures to President Obama. The unlock conditions are pretty diverse as well, with many requiring certain chop thresholds but others calling for accomplishments with specific characters or logging in X times or hitting an exact number of chops or scoring victories in multiplayer.

There IS a multiplayer mode, and to be honest it's pretty fun. The incredibly simple gameplay gains a lot when you're pitting your reflexes against another human or seven. You can even queue for a match while playing the singleplayer, but be warned it will bump you out the moment a match is found so you might lose a promising chopping spree. The real problem here is simply a lack of players, and in particular a lack of players willing to stick around for the entire best-of-three match.

It feels weird to recommend a game with so little going on, but I can't deny the enjoyment I've gotten from it. Working to unlock new characters or just beat your own records is strangely compelling, and the multiplayer satisfies if you have someone to battle. The graphics are fine and pixellated for a game of this scope, and the sound design is... well, it's there. Nothing stands out about the effects and there's only one musical loop so don't worry about breaking out the headphones for this one. Overall, Timberman does what it says it does and doesn't ask much for it, so if you want a charming little reflex tester you'll get it here.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
http://i.imgur.com/77UeGZJ.jpg

1. Titan Souls
2. Beyond Eyes
3. A Story About My Uncle
4. Dead Effect 2

I'm sure people on online forums enjoy insulting each other, so I'll share the extremely short Oh... Sir!! The Insult Simulator with y'all.

From their store page^

Oh… Sir! The Insult Simulator is reasonably priced, somewhat British, somewhat funny, and extremely short depending on how much you enjoy insulting others. It features both single player content against the AI and online matches against other human beings.

The gameplay consists of crafting insults by choosing words from both a shared pool and a two-word individual pool. Sometimes you’ll choose just a noun and a verb and end it there. Other times, you’ll throw in a conjunction to create a hefty insult or choose an ellipsis to carry the incomplete insult over into the next round if the current choices aren’t helpful. For example, “Your mother | dances silly | and | looks like | your husband.” could be something you make up.

In addition to all of the above, you can also make combos by using the same subject multiple times in a row. Selecting “Your sister” twice increases the honour damage dealt by adding one to the multiplier. You can also take advantage of the enemy’s weakness if you’re familiar with the character. For example, Maggie’s weakness is death. Using phrases such as “is deceased” or “is stone dead” deal extra damage against her.

The real reward for constructing the insults is hearing the voice actors say ‘em. They sound like they recorded each piece individually, resulting in some awkward tones depending on the insult you arranged. The ridiculousness of it all is what makes the game funny. You can even insult someone for using Windows Vista. As a former long term Vista user, I was greatly offended.

The single player has a tutorial, a one match option, and the tournament mode. The tournament lasts around 30 minutes and has you face 5 different opponents with the last one being the Morgan Freeman version of God. The impression isn’t too shabby. Winning the tournament multiple times is how you unlock additional characters like Lo Wang and scenarios for the other modes.

The online multiplayer pits you against one other person for one match. Wins and losses are recorded. You can choose to have a rematch after or just leave. Simple. I’m not sure how easy it is to find online matches with the population of several dozen people, but they’re definitely there.

I think Oh… Sir! The Insult Simulator can provide a couple bucks worth of laughs. I don’t expect most people to wring out more than one to two hours of entertainment from it unless they -really- enjoy the gameplay.

Steam Review

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 10, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen screenshots that've turned me off a game faster.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If only there was a steam version of Kenka Bancho so we could show em how it's done.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I remember something about Uplay eating Blackflag saves, is that still a thing? If I play the game is there something I should do to prevent it?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I don't think I've ever seen screenshots that've turned me off a game faster.

Gosh darn it, I guess I should mention they have a prototype version for free on Steam that's local only. That's where those screens are from. I replaced them with the correct ones. :v:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Veotax posted:

I remember something about Uplay eating Blackflag saves, is that still a thing? If I play the game is there something I should do to prevent it?

It might be, if you want to be sure, turn off cloud saving. That's what I did back when it came out... three years ago. Jesus Christ. And they've released two more games after that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Deakul posted:

AssCreed4 is mostly pretty fun but I think a lot of people here recommend it while forgetting how lovely the actual Assassin segments are, so many loving eavesdropping and tailing missions it's not even funny.
This is definitely AssCreed mission design at its worst, I didn't really have any fun with any of the main story missions involving any Assassin nonsense.

It shouldn't have been an AssCreed game, Ubisoft should have realized what they had in their hands and made a new IP all about piracy cause it IS fun as poo poo when you're just roaming the high seas and attacking ships or forts.
Edward is also a really fun character that desperately wants nothing to do with the Assassin poo poo, he just wants to get rich and continue his life on the high seas... they really wasted his character on this game.
AC4 was the only one I ever played, and you're absolutely right that it shouldn't have been a AC game. It's a really fun sandbox pirate game bogged down by these stupid plot beats of "follow this guy around for a few minutes" or clunky stealth missions and poo poo. The worst were the points where you were forced out of the game into the "real world" to wander around an office building and be talked at for ten minutes before you can continue with the actual game.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Assassin's Creed games feel like you're never really intended to ever finish them, but rather just go dick around for awhile until you get bored + find something else to do. I can't say I was ever on the edge of my seat waiting for the next big main plot development in AC4.

ACII, to me at least, felt worth finishing. Beyond that one, and the surrender to annualisation, I get you. Like it or loathe it, however, ACIII has an impact on my gaming life, inasmuch as I can't play Trials Fusion[1] due to Ubisoft network issues. I "love" it when I can't play I game I give a poo poo about, due to a game I don't give a poo poo about.

[1] - If I can't upload new PBs, then I can't play the game, period.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Cable posted:

Just bought myself a pc and since this is the de facto pc gaming thread:

Is "geforce experience" any good?

I have a 6gb gtx 1060. It seems it could do good things, such as optimizing my games for my card, but I'm not sure whether it's actually gonna do that or magically make everything perform worse.

Like the other person said, I sometimes find the "optimized" settings to be a little high for the performance I'm looking for. The settings come from Nvidia so of course they want to make your games look as good as they can, but I think they tend to think 30 FPS is ok while I prefer to turn down their recommended settings if I'm not hitting 60 FPS. The express installation of drivers is great though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Geforce experience optimized settings are almost always fine for me, especially since I upgraded from a 660. Sometimes they were a little spotty on the 660, where it would recommend vsync in situations where that actually would cause really bad stutters. On the 970, though, all I usually have to change is full screen to borderless window, because alt-tab is for suckers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Optimized settings is a huge depends. If you've ever gone into settings thinking "I want X and will turn off Y to make X better," for any given optimization there's a chance the settings focused on Y and turned off X. If you just want things to transparently work its usually fine, unless you are playing games on day 1 without the best card on the market in which case it can end up a gamble again while it collects info on the less beefy options.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

I remember reading some reactions to rogue that it was all in all a good game (much better than Unity, which, as a testament to its quality, is now stocked at my local Five & Below for $5 for the console versions), but I remember reading some people weren't happy with the story at all because it (major?? plot spoilers)killed off various characters people liked from Black Flag and the Black Flag DLC or something like that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The recent Geforce Experience update is pretty lovely though. It makes you link to your email account and the UI stinks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The update ultimately led to geforce experience force-deleting itself from my system entirely, and I'd like to say I've experienced worse software fuckups, but I really haven't

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Geforce experience optimization settings are a mixed bag. Sometimes they're accurate, sometimes they think my ideal gaming experience is 25 FPS @ 300% render scale supersampling. I usually start with their recommended settings and tweak it manually from there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Geforce Experience is handy for the automatic updating, I don't use it for anything else.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
I usually have to tune things down.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Mordja posted:

The recent Geforce Experience update is pretty lovely though. It makes you link to your email account and the UI stinks.

When they required me to make an account with them was when I hit uninstall on their software.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

#50: The Eyes of Ara (demo)
#49: Inside (demo)
#48: Unbox (demo)
#47: Virginia (demo)
#46: The Slaughter Act One
#45: The East New World
#44: The Beggar's Ride
#43: The Guest
#42: Blitz Breaker
#41: Seasons After Fall
#40: The Descendant Episode 1
#39: Zenge

#38: Duke Grabowski: Mighty Swashbuckler
Price: $6.99
Sale Price: $4.89
Genre: Point & Click Adventure
Length: Under 2 hours
Grade: C+
Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/472420/

Longtime adventure fans might recognize Bill Tiller from the Monkey Island days. Even more obsessive adventure gamers might know Bill Tiller's struggled to put out a quality adventure since, between A Vampyre's Tale and Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island. Well, Duke Grabowski is their best stab at it, but it gets a C+ grade due to its bait & switch of "surprise! It's episodic!" ending.

Duke is a pirate, and in other games would be the bouncer or guard that doesn't let you pass, but in this game, he's the protagonist. He wants to be captain, but the crew has no such interest in him hanging around, so they send him off on a quest they assume will be impossible: find love??? On the battlefield?? Though Duke's goal is romance, the actual quests are more along the lines of his expertise, like fighting in a boxing ring, demolishing a building, and taking out zombies (because, of course, the game has to have its own LeChuck).

Duke brings back the Verb Coin from Curse of Monkey Island, which feels like pandering, but some people will dig that. There is even a room that is specifically a carbon copy of a Monkey Island BG (they lampshade it, but still!!). The backgrounds are really nice, while the character models tend to vary. Music is by Jared Emerson Johnson of Telltale (and Tales of Monkey Island) and has that cozy island vibe.

It's not even subtle in what it's trying to emulate, but it's still a decent modern adventure, HOWEVER, it's short as heck because it's only episode 1.

#37: The Little Acre
Price: $12.99
Sale Price: TBD (game releases Dec 13th)
Length: Unsure but looks to be around 3-4 hours
Grade: B-
Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/423590/

The Little Acre is a (AFAIK) family-friendly P&C adventure about a father who goes looking for his missing father, and his daughter who then goes looking for him, chasing him into a surreal otherworld.

The animation is the first thing that stands out, it's super nice, and there are several lines of dialogue that are fully lip synced (which is about as rare as I've ever seen in a 2D adventure). There are three distinct gameplay styles. When controlling Aidan, the game plays most like a conventional point & click adventure game, with inventory puzzles and the works. In the otherworld, the game turns more into a puzzle style game (in the teaser I was given, there were a lot of lillypad puzzles, I'm not sure what other kinds of puzzles will show up). When you play Aidan's daughter, Lily, your world is quite a bit smaller as you can only really direct Lily towards something and see what happens.

While Aidan is careful and considerate, Lily is a wrecking ball. The family dog often saves her from the danger she creates, kind of like Mindy & Buttons from Animaniacs. She accidentally starts a fire, and she nearly gets a cupboard to fall on her, just to make breakfast. These different dynamics are interesting both in gameplay and just in watching.

The teaser I was given was called "the first half" but it only took about 90 minutes which means the game is either pretty short or they were a bit coy about it actually being half of the game. The teaser largely took place around the house with a small amount of time spent in the otherworld, but the store page shows other locations. So far, though, The Little Acre is more proof that Europeans have this adventure game poo poo on lock. Americans, we just wanna use Adventure Game Studio and put out a 320x240 pixel game. European devs are taking us to adventure school!!!

#36: Medusa's Labyrinth
Price: Free
Genre: First-person Exploration
Length: ~1 hour
Grade: C+
Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/436110/

It's probably true that I grade freeware games on a different curve than commercial games. If this were a paid product, Medusa's Labyrinth would probably just be streamer fodder. As a free game, it's a decent diversion, though it's free for a reason.

This isn't exactly Cry of Fear though, it has some actual production values to it. It's a nice looking first person game where you explore a tomb and avoid a monster much like, say, your typical stealth horror game. Your Outlast or your Amnesia or whatever. There's nothing particularly trippy going on however. In fact, the game just kind of ends, because it was a prototype for a larger game that was cancelled. So for the most part it's just exploring, finding notes, and evading the spookyman. You have a torch and you need to be able to light up rooms, fire pits, to make your way. There is a bow and arrow you find in the game but it is only used to solve a puzzle or two; the game would not let me kill the spookyman with it, for whatever reason.

SO yeah, it's a C+ game, that ranks a little higher because it looks nice and is free. I'm a cheap date, I guess.

#35: Killing Time at Lightspeed
Price: $9.99
Sale Price: $4.99
Genre: Interactive Fiction
Length: 1 hour
Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/380660/

In the future, faster than light travel exists, but so does social media. How do you keep in touch with friends when your perception is time is distorted?

The premise of KTAL is you're travelling from Mars to another planet, which will take only a half hour to you, but is in actuality 29 Earth years. Where's Matthew McConaughey?? Unlike Interstellar, you don't communicate with your friends by going into a four dimensional tesseract and communicating through dust or whatever. I dunno I forget most of that movie now. Some dumb poo poo. Instead, you are given access to, well, the Internet, and what is functionally Twitter and a news feed.

The entire interface is mouse & text-based except for avatars. Your interactions mostly consist of liking posts or responding to them (in which you are given several choices of how to respond). In addition, there's a news feed full of articles for what is going on in that given day.

Then you click to refresh the page. A year has already passed since you last refreshed the page. This dynamic makes for an interesting spin on how you stay in touch with people from trillions of miles away. Taking a side in a fight might result in you re-opening a wound way after the fact. Someone absentmindedly asks you for a favor not realizing that it will take a year on Earth for you to see it. This is what makes KTAL interesting.

What makes KTAL less interesting is the speculative sci-fi that creeps into the story. Life getting shittier on Earth is not a huge surprise as mankind travels to the stars. But it treads somewhat pedestrian territory, going for that good ol' "prejudice against human-robot relations as an allegory for LGBT discrimination" story device that seems to permeate sci-fi and fantasy (see how people feel about Read Only Memories, for example!!). What saves it is the newsfeed, full of articles that range from on-the-nose social commentary, to the bizarre. At some point the social media network gets bought out by a lovely company and the news feed starts churning out generic clickbait Top 10 lists. Too real, man. Too loving real.

KTAL can be found in the itch.io A Good Bundle, had you bought it. Otherwise, it's difficult to recommend it at $10, because a playthrough will only take an hour and while you can replay it with different responses, the storyline is mostly going to play out exactly the same. I'd say wait for a sale.

#34: Four Sided Fantasy
Price: $9.99
Sale Price: $4.99
Genre: Puzzle Platformer
Length: 1-2 hrs
Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/337490/

While there are several puzzle games on the list, this is the only one I'd put in the "mind bending/breaking" category. The basic mechanic of Four Sided Fantasy is pretty simple: You can freeze the screen and then wrap around it like Kid Icarus. So, if you run into a wall you can't get over, just freeze the screen, and wrap around to the other side of the wall!

Though the game isn't super long (again, wait for a sale price), it examines every possible puzzle angle for this mechanic, as well as adding additional flavors, like switching to wrapping in the middle (this one took me a while for my brain to adjust to), wrapping between foreground and background, forced camera changes, and more. You will get a mental workout in this game. But it's never of the rear end in a top hat kind of difficulty like, say, Snakebird is. That "aha!" moment is always on the tip of your fingers/thumbs.

Like KTAL, this game was in the itch.io bundle. Guess you should've bought it, suckers!!

#33: The ABC Murders
Price: $14.99
Sale Price: $7.99
Length: 6-7 hours
Store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/374900/

In a year where Sherlock was disappointing, it is unfortunate that Microids' take on Poirot doesn't quite stand out as its replacement, but it's a servicable detective adventure, complete with the infamous Parlor Scene you come to expect from a Poirot mystery.

The game has some inspirations from Crime & Punishments, like having a quasi-deduction board. Unlike Sherlock, however, you can't reach multiple conclusions. There is only one outcome, you can't just frame someone and have a laugh. It is based on a novel after all. As a result the game fits somewhere inbetween a point n click adventure game (Microids' general milieu) and a visual novel. There are some puzzles akin to The Room that shake things up occasionally, where you rotate around an object, look for hidden notches, enter combinations, etc. But this isn't quite the Inventory Puzzle style of point and click game. Yes, you do occasionally use an inventory item, but usually it's for the purpose of determining something about the crime.

I wanna talk about Microids for a second. They're a bit beleaguered as a publisher. Mostly known for the Siberia series, Microids has a habit of churning out mediocre third-person adventure games with odd pre-rendered backgrounds and clunky interfaces. Half their catalog on Steam has Mixed or Mostly Negative ratings. So, by that benchmark, The ABC Murders is so far above their usual level of output that learning it was by Microids made me do a double take. The visuals are vibrant and easy on the eyes, with cel shaded characters and sunny locations. Far from the typical dour and bleak environments and Original Xbox-era 3D models that a lot of their games have. The interface is also perfectly fine, although it lacks some amenities of non-Microids games; no double clicking on an exit to warp there,
for example.

The actual mystery itself is sort of standard Poirot, I'd say it's neither outstanding or terrible. The story is not so much about the identity of the killer so much as untangling the relationships of all the characters, finding how they all link together, and of course, Poirot gets to J'Accuse someone in a parlor and go into detail about it, because, well, it's Poirot.

I rank ABC Murders perhaps a little higher than it deserves because I want to give Microids a pat on the back for actually putting some loving effort into a game. More amazing is the developer Microids used has only done two other games: Moto Racer 4 and GARFIELD KART. This should not have turned out as decent as it did.

ON THE NEXT EPISODE:
Tower(-ish?) defense, skyscraping, and cyber-snooping

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 7, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am liking this roundup precisely because I bought the Good Bundle and I need help sorting through what is worth playing! I know the heavy-hitters in there (Gone Home, Nuclear Throne, etc.) but there are like hundreds of other games that I probably would not know where to start with unless someone says "Hey, this is all right"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am liking this roundup precisely because I bought the Good Bundle and I need help sorting through what is worth playing! I know the heavy-hitters in there (Gone Home, Nuclear Throne, etc.) but there are like hundreds of other games that I probably would not know where to start with unless someone says "Hey, this is all right"
While those were the last of the itch.io bundle on the 2016 list, I can point you to other quality titles in the bundle:

A Good Snowman is Hard to Build
Bleed (this game loving OWNS)
Catacomb Kids
Death Ray Manta
Luna's Wandering Stars
Sokobond
Particle Mace
Lost Constellation
STRAFE Speed Zone V2

I've also seen Pioneers rec'd but know nothing about it. There are also some pretty flawed games that you might want to check out anyway:

Proteus
Read Only Memories
No Pineapple Left Behind
The Novelist
Among the Sleep (I've heard middling-to-notsogood stuff about this one though)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Crashlands is currently on sale, which has only happened once before according to steamdb. I've had this on my wishlist forever, and it looks like a more fun version of Don't Starve.

e: If you're on the fence about Oh Sir, recent patches have added Wang, and Serious Sam.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffle! posted:

Crashlands is currently on sale, which has only happened once before according to steamdb. I've had this on my wishlist forever, and it looks like a more fun version of Don't Starve.

e: If you're on the fence about Oh Sir, recent patches have added Wang, and Serious Sam.

I played a good amount of Crashlands on my phone, and yeah. It's Don't Starve lite, with homier base-building and no perma-death. The PC version seems kinda expensive for what it is, but if you want similar gameplay to Don't Starve, only without the intense time pressure, then it's pretty much that.

I think they just patched in a magic/enchanting system recently.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I played a good amount of Crashlands on my phone, and yeah. It's Don't Starve lite, with homier base-building and no perma-death. The PC version seems kinda expensive for what it is, but if you want similar gameplay to Don't Starve, only without the intense time pressure, then it's pretty much that.

I think they just patched in a magic/enchanting system recently.

Does the combat get anymore fun/involved than the couple of basic gameplay vids i've seen months ago?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Deakul posted:

It shouldn't have been an AssCreed game, Ubisoft should have realized what they had in their hands and made a new IP all about piracy cause it IS fun as poo poo when you're just roaming the high seas and attacking ships or forts.
Edward is also a really fun character that desperately wants nothing to do with the Assassin poo poo, he just wants to get rich and continue his life on the high seas... they really wasted his character on this game.

One of my favorite parts comes early in the game when Edward is first introduced to the Assassin's and their philosophy - paraphrased:

Mary: Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Edward: Cool, well I'm off to live my life of being a drunken, whoring pirate then!
Mary: No you can't do that, that's bad!
Edward: What happened to everything is permitted? :smug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Morter posted:

Does the combat get anymore fun/involved than the couple of basic gameplay vids i've seen months ago?
I haven't played it in a few months, but I don't think so. Most of the combat at the time was just "smack enemy/run out of enemy attack zone/repeat" and after a while I got bored with that and the lame tryhard jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Deakul posted:

And I'd like to request the opposite: how about games that primarily take place in snowy areas or just during winter in general?
I always loved snow in games.

Heroines Quest
Free on steam, point and click. Think Quest for Glory or Kings Quest.

• Locked thread