Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Yeah I’m in the middle of the woods (I do have a shed) like 40 miles from the nearest city. Which is a mediocre city.

I’ve shy’d away from a lot of chic stuff because honestly it’s seemed out of my depth. Especially when he’s doing the no pick pick think (chugging/chucking).

I should though, just saw it up and slow it down to a crawl. I mean I can play good times but I’d like to be able to do “I want your love”.

Him and Stuart Zender lines is where I’d like to get but it seems a stretch so these French house adjacent rip offs are the height of my ability as of today sadly.

Your comments are super helpful though in starting to put together some good directions where I can focus on going forward. Thanks mates.

E: crap I’m gonna have to get a stingray aren’t I

Basic Poster fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The chug chugging really only comes to play in his work with Sister Sledge and Diana Ross. I Want Your Love can totally be played with normal fingertip technique. Like all disco tho, its all about feel and rhythm. Hit it man, I'm sure you can do it.

e: haha stingrays help, but I've done plenty of gigs with other basses as well. It isn't the guitar at all. I'd say just being able to dance along with the music is more important.

e2: of all the funk bassist greats I'd say Bernard Edwards is the one of the most approachable. I almost died trying to learn Louis Johnson (and still not good enough to play something like I Keep Forgetting properly lol)

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 26, 2022

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I had this half finished wall in my basement that I just couldn’t agree with myself on if I wanted to actually finish it.

So I tore it down and made it useful.

Still got a bit to do, but it’s nice to make some progress on the plan. There’s a duplex outlet inside the built-in so no cords need to hang out.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That looks great. I agree that it is much more useful now and will be dreaming about a similar setup forever now.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 28, 2022

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

That's super convenient, and looks great to boot. *cries in renter for life Californian*

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nitsuga posted:

That looks great. I agree that it is much more useful now and will be dreaming about a similar setup forever now.

:love:

There’s a couple things I wish I did differently involving the install, but they’re really just hiccups that I could have avoided and saved some time.

The sliders I got can handle the weight of the 1.5” thick cherry shelves and the amps, but it is close to capacity and that just doesn’t make me thrilled (75% rating). I’ll probably order some 500 lb rated 10” slides and never think twice about it. I’m putting the oil on the shelves now that the rough work is done, so it’s all apart again.

I just need to route out the sides of the shelves a hair to accept the larger sliders in the near future and then just touch up the finish. 7/16” thick vs 3/4” in the heavier rating.

There’s also a 20amp duplex outlet in black-on-black buried back there so I can power it all. It’s hidden in the back corner just under the first shelf slider.

The duplex out front is for the pedal board and whatever the hell else I need to plug in. The ledge below the hangers is to toss picks and stuff on because I know I’m lazy when the jar is right there. Off under the window will be a 8” ledge to toss various bits and stuff on as required (soldering station). There’s also a 32” x 16” pegboard below the aforementioned ledge so I can hang up my cables and headphones.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Absolute pro poo poo. I love it so much! well done.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."
Shoulda gone with a forty amp, just in case! Haha
Okay that’s really cool, I’m so jealous of the space you made. And props for routering out your boards to accept heavier drawer rails later - get em as big as you can get!

Hello thread, I love to play death metal on my Special Sting Ray 5, these days I play through Reaper on my computer and I love the whole setup. I do not use such a wide variety of picks that my pic shows, but it was fun finding out what worked best for me.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
When you have a project bass and spare parts on your hands, you get some bad ideas. Darkglass preamp and battery box currently getting fitted to the 1972 Greco bass

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sockington posted:

When you have a project bass and spare parts on your hands, you get some bad ideas. Darkglass preamp and battery box currently getting fitted to the 1972 Greco bass

Approved™️

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
How are you going to wire those pickups? A JPJ setup looks pretty rad.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Sockington posted:

SWEET JESUS

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

Rectal Placenta posted:

How are you going to wire those pickups? A JPJ setup looks pretty rad.

Yeah it does! I had to look at that twice to confirm the set up.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It’s wired up as volume/volume/volume into the Darkglass Preamp, like a messy Jazz bass setup into the tone pot. Some initial trials went well tonight but it needs a full set of strings and a setup to play properly. I stuck some left over knobs on it to get by. The P-bass is the top volume, concentric for the Greco pickups, and then the three band EQ on singles.

It is not pretty under the hood of that sucker right now, but fully functional.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i approve of this Knob Excess. Hell yes

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It really is a bit ridiculous but I have a proper P and J bass that I won’t muck with. The neck pickup in the new spot and with the preamp pretty much sells the bass on its own. The rest is just weird icing on an even weirder cake.

The weak Squier test pickup really needs to be changed out though. It’s very low output versus even the 70s Greco pickups.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sockington posted:

It really is a bit ridiculous but I have a proper P and J bass that I won’t muck with. The neck pickup in the new spot and with the preamp pretty much sells the bass on its own. The rest is just weird icing on an even weirder cake.

The weak Squier test pickup really needs to be changed out though. It’s very low output versus even the 70s Greco pickups.

Any chance we can get some sound clips of this thing?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sockington posted:

For when your swamp bass needs extra swamp :v: That is going to kick rear end.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 16, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

About to buy these pickups and installation for $285 for my Bass Vi, Jag One pickups that are in the original Bass Vi but not in the squier model. Before I head off, wanted to see if anyone has any knowledge of the product or company, and if I'm getting ripped off.

e: I went ahead and got them! So far, without any use of any pedals and only a few minutes of playing, I like 'em! I always felt a Bass Vi (which is my main creative instrument currently) felt a bit awkward and yelp-y without any pedals, where it really shines. But just playing it so far without tryin it without any pedals, its a smooth beefy machine, not quite as deep as normal basses but man its getting there. And it sounds super 50s!

For the first time since I've had it I feel the urge to bring it to my local jam, which I haven't previously because bringing pedals would be dumb for that kinda thing.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 20, 2022

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Lots of feelings today. I set ol' girl up for one last trip around the sonic block.

<snip>

Wow... I read the whole post I made back in July, and I had forgotten that it started raining that day.

Anyway... three and a half months later, I went down to the shop to check on things. I'd stayed away because, well, a watched pot doesn't boil, and since we were selling the amp and both cabinets as one unit (well, if someone would've wanted the cabs only, we'd have done that deal too), after a few offers were turned down just for the head, a dude from St. Louis saw it on the website, realized it was exactly what he was looking for, and bought it. The guy at the store said that the 30 day return policy had just expired, and he'd had "Contact Tarlibone" on his to-do list. Not getting told that my item sold happens all the time to me when I sell on consignment, so... yeah, whatever.

My original plan was to get a Fender Rumble 500 combo and a 1×15 combo. But, the guy at the store didn't have those, and since I was getting either 80% of the sale price in a check or 100% in store credit, I decided to look at what he had. My reasons for wanting the Rumble were simple: it had two drivers with an adjustable compression tweeter, it was lightweight, and it was powerful. I also like the look, and they have a great sound. But there are two things that kept me from being firm about that option: the Rumble's on-board limiter that you can't switch off (and it can be heavy handed), and the fact that the volume of the direct out is tied directly to the master volume level. This can drive soundfolk nuts if you ever have to make an on-stage adjustment.

He had a new Aguilar SL 212 cabinet in the corner (2×12, tweeter, 500 W @ 4 Ohms). With the matched Aguilar amp, it was very nice, but both units together were more than I wanted to spend. And, I already have a 350 watt Class-D head banging around, so I was going to consider just getting the cabinet. But, he was able to make me a deal on a used Eden WTX-500 that also sounded really good, so I walked out of the shop with my new rig and a little bit of cash.

I'm glad my big ol' amp found a new home. If it hadn't have sold, I'd have brought it back home, told it I was sorry, and taken it out for dinner and a nice gig. Instead, I've got this snazzy setup.

It sound nice.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell yeah. Probably delayed the inevitable lower back injuries by a couple years too, looks like. Cool rig.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah. Probably delayed the inevitable lower back injuries by a couple years too, looks like. Cool rig.

Thanks!

Yeah, like I was saying a few months back, the weight of the old rig was super-annoying, and I'm not getting any younger. And, in the last year, I've had a couple bouts of sciatica, one of which went on for over a month and required physical therapy. But mainly, in the last decade, I've played one gig where I needed that much power--and going through front-of-house (well, front-of-stage, as it was an outdoor gig) was an option anyway. So, it sat unused, and whether you run them or not, tube amps are gonna tube amp. I was a solid state kid before I got that amp in '99, and tubes do sound great, but I'm happy to be solid state again. Especially now that Class D is a thing; some of the older Class A-B amps can get pretty hefty.

I heard about Class D amps in this thread, actually. I had no idea there was such a thing as a 5-pound, 500-Watt amp.

The only issue I have with this new-to-me Eden amp is that if it's sitting on the cabinet, there's something in it that rattles on certain notes. It doesn't come through the amp, but something in there enjoys a certain resonant frequency. I have a couple of workaround for that, though, and besides, I have that Ampeg 350-Watter kicking around that I was thinking I might sell, but I don't need to now.

I'm mainly just so glad to have a tweeter in my cabinet again. My distortion pedal is a Deluxe Bass Big Muff, and you need that tweeter to get the sizzle.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

tarlibone posted:

But there are two things that kept me from being firm about that option… the volume of the direct out is tied directly to the master volume level. This can drive soundfolk nuts if you ever have to make an on-stage adjustment.

Yeah but otoh it kind of rules to be able to walk over and be like don’t mind me just gonna put a little more bass in the mix lol

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
That's awesome. Please report back with gigging experiences with the 212. I'm likely moving to a similar setup in the next year or so.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah but otoh it kind of rules to be able to walk over and be like don’t mind me just gonna put a little more bass in the mix lol

That’s why you always save about 10% volume on your end during sound check 😉

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone playing a Serek bass? I've been eyeing a Lincoln w/ a Novak BS-DS pickup a LOT lately.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Anyone playing a Serek bass? I've been eyeing a Lincoln w/ a Novak BS-DS pickup a LOT lately.

I wish. I’ve been GASing for a new bass since I started playing in a band again and they’re at the top of my list. About 10 years ago I had an Ibanez semi-hollow someone installed a Darkstar in. The bass itself was nothing to write home about, but I loved the pickup.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://reverb.com/item/59951607-fender-custom-shop-masterbuilt-ron-thorn-minion-otto-s-space-moon-bass

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sucks that it probably plays and sounds insanely good while looking like that

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
So like 10 years ago there was a genuine Warwick parts dealer that was liquidating inventory on ebay, and I was able to snag up a 6 string fretless wide neck and bridge (there were actually two listed, and I'm still kicking myself for not getting both).

Fast forward to today, I finally got a big rear end slab of walnut and moved the project along:

Finally assembled:

The electronics are spilling out of the back because I still need to make the controls cavity cover, but after the little I've played so far, this thing is ridiculous.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
That looks great! Wish I had skills like that

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I can't believe how well that gig went. We didn't have the prep time we wanted to have. But, it went well. We even threw in an extra song because for the first time in years, people were out and dancing (and drinking) toward the end of the 3rd and final set.

The new BBR (Big Bass Rig, as opposed to my Little Bass Rig) sounded amazing. I don't need this much amp for most of the gigs I play--the master volume was somewhere around 2 or 3 by my estimation; there are no numbers or pointers. But it's so light and great sounding, I might bring it to most of my gigs.

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

Woooow, that Warwick is super sick, I’m so jealous! I really miss my Corvette, but drat was it heavy and made me not want play all night. I bet that 6er weighs so much

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I came across some American Chesnut that has been installed since 1890, so god knows how old before cut and used.

It is an extremely hard wood - twice that of hard maple. Would it be suitable to have a professional make a bass neck out of it? I’ve got a 2” thick ten footer in my possession.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

That looks great! Wish I had skills like that

eternalvictory posted:

Woooow, that Warwick is super sick, I’m so jealous! I really miss my Corvette, but drat was it heavy and made me not want play all night. I bet that 6er weighs so much

Thanks! It's definitely got some heft at just under 12lbs. I'm getting used to the string spacing too, but I'm digging it. The neck is 2 1/8" at the nut and 3 3/4" at the body joint with like no radius, so it's really giving my thumb anchoring positioning a workout.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Turns out my baby loves bass fuzz like crazy, so guess who's being subjected to (low volume) improvised noise/doom whenever I'm taking care of her?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Do you all make yourselves repertoire playlists? My routine is warm up on scales and some chromatic stuff and then just put a big list on random.

This is my rep list, if anyone else wants to share I think that might be neat because mine is very very very one genre focused and would be cool to branch out a bit. Whenever I go looking on google for “cool and good bass songs to play” it’s always the same sir duke or Beatles or portrait of Tracy. So I’m always on the hunt for stuff that has things I’d like to learn in it which tends to be RnB mostly.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6UezrRkM0YhoJf1pzPDiKh?si=75i31i4vSjWLbEWWQbVRgQ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did some music work this weekend and finally tried out the neural darkglass. drat that thing is fun to goof with.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

About 3 months ago I pulled the pin on a MIJ Fender Aerodyne Bass, and I'm so glad I did. It plays great, it's light, has the PJ pickups (which I'm still trying to figure out the best balance of), and looks great even if it's a fingerprint magnet. I'm glad I got it when I did because the Aerodyne doesn't have the PJ setup anymore, it's one or the other.

I didn't keep the thumb rest on it after playing this show. I didn't like the placement. I'm working on figuring out a design for one to fit on the jazz pickup then I'll 3d print it or carve it out of a nice piece of ebony I have. The jazz pickup puts my hand into the perfect position to play, but it's uncomfortable as poo poo on my thumb.

It was either going to be that one, or the Duff McKagan P-Bass (in white) and I didn't see enough differences to justify the additonal $500 cost. The biggest risk I had with this was that I couldn't find one in-store to try out, so I ended up buying it sight unseen. I'm glad I did though, I loving love it.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

muike posted:

Sucks that it probably plays and sounds insanely good while looking like that

I mean let’s be real it probably sounds pretty much like a p bass