Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Austin Psych Fest Levitation lineup:

https://i.imgur.com/9PuClEr.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here Lies Man is rad

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckQsqGYfTYc

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Anybody know when we're gonna get some new Om?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
They have a European tour next spring but it isn't being promoted with an album, so I assume if there's something in the works it's still a year or two away. Been a long while though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh yeah I’m gonna go see them in Dublin. Can’t wait.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snakes for the Divine no longer on Apple Music smdh

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Snakes for the Divine no longer on Apple Music smdh

I'm listening to it right now in the US. Great recommendation!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

High On Fire has no bad albums. Some are better than others, but all are good.

Same with Om too tbh

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

High On Fire has no bad albums. Some are better than others, but all are good.

Same with Om too tbh

The last HoF was a bit of a let down. I don't listen to any of it regularly at all.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Lol I mainly don't like Matt Pikes vocals

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Matt Pike has the best vocals in all of Metal History

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Kvlt! posted:

High On Fire has no bad albums.

:yeah:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I don't particularly care for HoF and have no view on Matt Pike's vocals, but I will say that though he is not an attractive man, there is something strangely alluring about a sweaty, topless Matt Pike playing guitar.

Trabant posted:

Austin Psych Fest Levitation lineup:

https://i.imgur.com/9PuClEr.mp4

Ooooh, so thats what Levitation is. I was listening to their Youtube channel because Slift was on it recently.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 4, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

I I will say that though he is not an attractive man,

Mods?!!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

this is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

As penance, here's my favorite Matt Pike playing my favourite live version of Dragonaut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTfUTB8LoH8

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

this is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

He looks like a more together Carl from ATHF

(I love HOF, Sleep, and will give anything Matt does a shot. I thought Electric Messiah ruled.)

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

HoFs Bat Salad EP was fantastic if you haven’t indulged.

Also here is Matt Pike giving me a shoutout on Patreon, best vocals ever.

https://streamable.com/di47ar

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Quit negging matt pike in SDS thread

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I heard Sleep was a joke that Al made but Matt didn’t get it and now they have to keep up the act to keep him happy.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

he's cool and stuff but that's a tough sell

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've seen HoF more than any other international act save for maybe nine inch nails although between the two its gotta be close. Ive lost count really. Id wager maybe even more than some local bands.

despite my stance on vocals in S/D/S I think Matt Pike is fine and good. you couldnt really have HoF without the vocals or the lyrics.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've somehow never seen them. Seen sleep and om four times a pop I think, but HoF evades me despite touring way more consistently than the other two (or so it seems)

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Pike, stumbled on this today.

https://rarebirdlit.com/head-on-a-pike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I saw High On Fire along with Suplecs and Mastodon opening for Clutch years ago and my hearing started to go during the HoF set, which I think was second. Mastodon pretty much hosed it up for good and Clutch just sounded muffled by the time they came on. That was a permanent one, my ears rang for a literal week afterward.

edit: I didn’t know anything about them or Matt Pike at the time, and he wore a shirt the whole time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

edit: I didn’t know anything about them or Matt Pike at the time, and he wore a shirt the whole time.

Couldn’t have been him

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This loving slays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uif5XmYF7_k

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I keep getting sucked into Youtube odysseys when I should be doing more important things, but I feel the french horn has untapped potential as a doom/stoner instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD_mytxCdeg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

I keep getting sucked into Youtube odysseys when I should be doing more important things, but I feel the french horn has untapped potential as a doom/stoner instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD_mytxCdeg

This is interesting because a musician I like was talking about a post hardcore band on Twitter he enjoyed that employed French horn, and it worked really well

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This is interesting because a musician I like was talking about a post hardcore band on Twitter he enjoyed that employed French horn, and it worked really well

Name names, friend-o.

*blart of french horn*

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yob was one of those bands that I didnt really like (besides this song) but took thread advice to see them live and Jumpin' fuckin' Jesus was it a hell of a show, one of the best I have ever been to and cemented them as one of my favorite bands in the genre.

Ive seen this plenty of times but it never fails to blow me away.

that girl at the front of the stage leaning on the tree in front of the bassist is just in another dimension of happiness and I know exactly how it feels to hear this song live.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 6, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Name names, friend-o.

*blart of french horn*

Soe' Za the band, the album is Why Do You Do

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I only saw HOF once and it was on the Blessed Back Wings tour. I had the album and liked it quite a bit ,but mainly just checked it out because Steve Albini produced it. I didn't really keep up with them after that except for Death is The Communion which I liked but didn't get heavily into at the time. Then I had renaissance with them a few ago and realized they were one of my favorite metal bands. I just completely kicked myself in the rear end for missing out on almost 15 years of HOF.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A human heart posted:

he's cool and stuff but that's a tough sell

His voice is liked a car being crushed in a compactor. That's what I want from metal. Tbh, to me at least, clean vocals in S/D/S usually either sounds like a bad ozzy impressions or ren fair poo poo. I have trouble getting into most of it. Some do it well though. I Like vocals that are as crushing as the music. Early stuff like Sabbath or Candlemass get an exception though. Obviously they are GOATS.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There is definitely a sweet spot in metal vocals.

matt Pike growly/low is fine, hardcore/screamo/deathy screeching is rear end.

Of course the golden ratio is Lemmy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah if anyone beats him out it’s Lemmy. Also love all the dudes in Neurosis…there’s probably more. I was probably being hyperbolic about “best ever” but he’s great regardless.

I like the screamy stuff if done right. Not like, screamo or anything but eyehategod, cavity etc. I dig that poo poo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its when it becomes unintelligible screeching/growling that I just think 'you arent saying anything coherent so just shut the gently caress up and let the band carry it'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

its when it becomes unintelligible screeching/growling that I just think 'you arent saying anything coherent so just shut the gently caress up and let the band carry it'

no no no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I generally don't like clean vocals in my slow metal unless it's like, classic poo poo.

At the same time I tried to give Thou a fair shake because of this thread, and do not like that band at all tbh. Just sounds like some hipster dork doing black metal vocals.

If I am going to listen to listen to some heavy rear end poo poo I want heavy rear end vocals it's as simple as that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmdmnnv2NkY&t=245s