Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

~Coxy posted:

The only advantage of Time Machine is the "history" crap.
Sounds like most people in the last page of posts really only want a disaster recovery solution. In that case, Carbon Copy Cloner or similar is more than enough. No worries about Time Capsules or AppleTalk support on the router or any of that.
Perhaps, but Time Machine is seamless and easy. I have my Macs backing up to a Time Machine drive shared from my Synology NAS and it all happens seamlessly in the background. I can easily restore from a backup if needed or make it easy to migrate to a new OS version if I want a clean install. CCC is a great program but most end users aren't interested in janitoring their backup solutions so Time Machine is great because it's as simple as 'plug in hard drive->time machine says hay do you want to backup'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

How the flying gently caress do you delete a misspelled domain from Safari's auto-complete?

Delete it from the history?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mercurius posted:

Perhaps, but Time Machine is seamless and easy. I have my Macs backing up to a Time Machine drive shared from my Synology NAS and it all happens seamlessly in the background. I can easily restore from a backup if needed or make it easy to migrate to a new OS version if I want a clean install. CCC is a great program but most end users aren't interested in janitoring their backup solutions so Time Machine is great because it's as simple as 'plug in hard drive->time machine says hay do you want to backup'.

Sure; I agree, but the whole reason I bring it up is in response to a whole bunch of people who want some kind of backup but specifically "cannot" use Time Machine proper.

Also, CCC *is* "seamless, easy, and you can easily restore from a backup if needed or make it easy to migrate to a new OS version if I want a clean install".
All it would take is a one-time installation and creating of a scheduled task to backup to a disk image on a particular share.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

~Coxy posted:

Sure; I agree, but the whole reason I bring it up is in response to a whole bunch of people who want some kind of backup but specifically "cannot" use Time Machine proper.

Also, CCC *is* "seamless, easy, and you can easily restore from a backup if needed or make it easy to migrate to a new OS version if I want a clean install".
All it would take is a one-time installation and creating of a scheduled task to backup to a disk image on a particular share.

Does CCC just target changed files or does it literally clone the drive every time it backs up? It seems like in the latter case it would take a while if you have a lot of files.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I have an external HD connected to an airport extreme (last year model). I guess time machine doesn't work, and I'm now trying CCC. Everything is backed up, and it is set to do a daily backup, but it takes over 3 hours for it to check every file (1.5TB). Is there a faster way?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there an easy to set up SMTP server that I can set up on my iMac?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

computer parts posted:

Does CCC just target changed files or does it literally clone the drive every time it backs up? It seems like in the latter case it would take a while if you have a lot of files.

It can do either. It can also keep changed files archived if you like in a special folder, etc.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Anjow posted:

OS X Server

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

mongoibur posted:

I have an external HD connected to an airport extreme (last year model). I guess time machine doesn't work, and I'm now trying CCC. Everything is backed up, and it is set to do a daily backup, but it takes over 3 hours for it to check every file (1.5TB). Is there a faster way?

CrashPlan will let you back up to an external hard drive or another computer for free. Although you have to pay for CrashPlan+ (very reasonable btw) for added features and more frequent backups.

After years of dealing with crappy backup solutions for the Mac, I've been VERY happy with Crashplan for almost 2 years now.

Edit:

Since Server is cheap now, its trivial to setup a file share for Time Machine if you have a desktop Mac or Hackintosh.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 15, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mongoibur posted:

Might just be a limitation of the connection at a certain point. There's different checks iirc, like a full checksum takes the longest, while the fastest just goes by modification date. If you're on the latter already then I'm not sure what options you have, unless this is all wireless, in which case try wiring up.

Anjow posted:

Make sure your ISP isn't blocking the SMTP port, I remember running into that way way back. I forget if you can just assign SMTP to a different port though.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any way to stop all traffic until a VPN connection is established? For example, say I get out my MBP at the airport and connect to the local WiFi. I want to connect to my home VPN before my email client or iCloud connections start syncing data. Is it possible to keep OSX from going hog wild until the VPN connects?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I'm looking for a minimal clipboard manager that is preferably free & open source. Any suggestions? I don't mind paying if it's good.

edit: looks like I finally have an excuse to buy alfred.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 15, 2013

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'll check out OS X Server - thanks.

japtor posted:

Make sure your ISP isn't blocking the SMTP port, I remember running into that way way back. I forget if you can just assign SMTP to a different port though.

Nah they don't block anything, I used to work for them.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Kind of a super low priority thing: I'm trying to make a VM of 10.9, and I was curious if anyone figured out a way to make the dmg bootable yet? I know there is that command line to turn the dmg into a bootable USB, but it's always nice to just have a bootable dmg.

Plus, bootable dmgs are nice to archive for network boots.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

jeeves posted:

Kind of a super low priority thing: I'm trying to make a VM of 10.9, and I was curious if anyone figured out a way to make the dmg bootable yet? I know there is that command line to turn the dmg into a bootable USB, but it's always nice to just have a bootable dmg.

Plus, bootable dmgs are nice to archive for network boots.
I've actually been meaning to try and use the command on a pre-created writable disk image instead of a USB drive. I've got some time this morning so I'll give it a shot and post some instructions if I get it working.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm looking for a piece of software that can sync folders between a local folder and an SMB share. The one issue I keep running into with some software I've tried is that if the share is not mounted it will just fail or hang instead of trying to mount the share. I need something that will mount an SMB share (with user/pass) if it's not mounted and then sync files. Don't want real-time, just once a day type thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mercurius posted:

I've actually been meaning to try and use the command on a pre-created writable disk image instead of a USB drive. I've got some time this morning so I'll give it a shot and post some instructions if I get it working.
This would be my suggestion. Make a .dmg in Disk Utility, mount it, and then modify the Terminal command to create installation media to use the mounted image volume rather than a USB disk.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I'm looking for a piece of software that can sync folders between a local folder and an SMB share. The one issue I keep running into with some software I've tried is that if the share is not mounted it will just fail or hang instead of trying to mount the share. I need something that will mount an SMB share (with user/pass) if it's not mounted and then sync files. Don't want real-time, just once a day type thing.
Is the user/pass in the keychain, or can you set it up in the bookmark or whatever (like smb://user:pass@address or something)?

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for something similar, albeit an AFP target. It works with network shares so I guess try it out if you haven't already.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FCKGW posted:

This should be fairly easy to script, and then run with Automator. At least it would be in Windows. I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This would be my suggestion. Make a .dmg in Disk Utility, mount it, and then modify the Terminal command to create installation media to use the mounted image volume rather than a USB disk.
Yeah that's what I was planning on doing. I've just been so busy the last week I haven't got around to it. I'm kind of surprised that creating a disk image from the USB stick once it's created didn't work, but I haven't tried that either.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mercurius posted:

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing. I've just been so busy the last week I haven't got around to it. I'm kind of surprised that creating a disk image from the USB stick once it's created didn't work, but I haven't tried that either.

Yeah, that is what I tried doing, which kind of amusing since it reminded me of what people used to do to break music DRM by burning to CD/ISO -> ripping CD/ISO.

But the dmg I made from the bootable thumb drive didn't boot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

japtor posted:

Is the user/pass in the keychain, or can you set it up in the bookmark or whatever (like smb://user:pass@address or something)?

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for something similar, albeit an AFP target. It works with network shares so I guess try it out if you haven't already.

I've tried with a program called GoodSync which seems to mount the drive fine, but it never seems to save the password in my keychain. Once the drive becomes unmounted then asks for the password again.

I've seen some people script this stuff with automator and rsync but i'm not sure if that has bidirectional syncing.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

FCKGW posted:

I've tried with a program called GoodSync which seems to mount the drive fine, but it never seems to save the password in my keychain. Once the drive becomes unmounted then asks for the password again.

I've seen some people script this stuff with automator and rsync but i'm not sure if that has bidirectional syncing.

I'd probably just write a small bash script that checked to see if the folder was mounted, if not mount it, and then perform an rsync between the folders. Then just use cron (forget the os x equivalent right now) and have it run once a day.

edit: For storing credentials, you could just have them in plain text in the mount command, or just keep them in a .creds file (or whatever you want to name it) with limited permissions.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently working with two MBP's:

1) Mid-2009 MBP that's mine (OS X Lion)
2) Mid-2010 MBP that I'm selling for a friend (OS X Mountain Lion)

I just reformatted my friends Mid-2010 MBP so I can put it up on eBay. I tried to reinstall Mountain Lion through the startup utility but he does not remember the Apple ID he used to purchase Mountain Lion. My friend suggested that since the laptop that I own is not upgraded to Mountain Lion, that I should just purchase it on my computer and then use the same Apple ID to reinstall it on his laptop since I get 5 installs.

Is this a feasible option and I am also worried that my Apple ID will somehow be tied to my friends Mid-2010 MBP that I am selling on eBay. Will that be the case?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just deauthorize the machine in iTunes and sign out, then it won't be registered under your Apple ID.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Just deauthorize the machine in iTunes and sign out, then it won't be registered under your Apple ID.

Okay, how do you suggest I bring up the "Welcome - Create User ID" screen that all new MBP's have?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Busy Bee posted:

Okay, how do you suggest I bring up the "Welcome - Create User ID" screen that all new MBP's have?

For Mountain Lion:
code:
sudo rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
For Lion:
code:
sudo "/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/Setup Assistant"
Will trigger the initial setup to re-run. Usual reminder that sudo and rm are very powerful commands so be certain you are deleting the right file on ML.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Try mounting the share first in the Finder manually, it'll give an option to save the password which should get it into the keychain (then point the app to the mounted share if it isn't already configured like that).

And yeah I'm not sure on bidirectional syncing (or if CCC has an option for it). I think it's possible in rsync but that's beyond my know how with it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

vikingstrike posted:

I'd probably just write a small bash script that checked to see if the folder was mounted, if not mount it, and then perform an rsync between the folders. Then just use cron (forget the os x equivalent right now) and have it run once a day.

edit: For storing credentials, you could just have them in plain text in the mount command, or just keep them in a .creds file (or whatever you want to name it) with limited permissions.

From the terminal,

code:
man rsync
I say take the time and set up rysnc to run periodically. It can do its thing from any machine that can see both the source and destination folders and the algorithm is time tested and very efficient.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

So yeah, Mavericks USB boot stick works great. Creating a disk image from it, not so much. The actual images look fine if I open them but don't boot in Fusion and won't open if I attach them to the virtual CD drive.

Fusion hasn't been updated since the GM was released though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually a VMware problem (unless it happens in Parallels and VirtualBox as well, I guess).

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Backuplist+ is a graphical front end for rsync that I've been using with my ancient 3.5" drive enclosure plugged into my router. That is, until I decide to bite the bullet and get a Synology NAS. That $300 two bay little monster is looking good right now.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Ever since upgrading to mavericks, mail app links in emails aren't clickable. Anyone know a workaround?

Also mail.app seems to hang on exit. This normally happens if i leave mail app on for an extended time then try to exit it. ie. leave it open over night, try exiting it in the morning. I tried rebuilding but didnt do anything, also i seem to get osx notifications for old email every once in awhile but it would be like x10 notifications

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NY Times just started doing this Mavericks feature today. As best as I can tell, they're the first major news outlet to use it:

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011
Awesome. It's amazing how phones/tablets have been better at push notifications than PCs since they're designed more around using apps rather than websites. Hopefully more sites start including this so I don't need to keep my phone next to my keyboard and can trim down my twitter followings.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
They miscapitalized their own name? If only they had hired some editors!

lol internet. I have some (different) Mavericks Mail issues too. Apple doesn't seem overly concerned with fixing them at the moment.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Choadmaster posted:

lol internet. I have some (different) Mavericks Mail issues too. Apple doesn't seem overly concerned with fixing them at the moment.

uh Mavericks hasn't been officially released so your expectations are way off.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Choadmaster posted:

I have some (different) Mavericks Mail issues too. Apple doesn't seem overly concerned with fixing them at the moment.

I hate to break it to you, but Apple doesn't regard fixing bugs in Mail very highly. I painfully dealt with a bug in Mountain Lion from 10.8.0 until a few weeks ago when it was fixed with 10.8.5, which was an ENTIRE YEAR where your email literally didn't show up unless you quit the app and relaunched it and prayed it worked.

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
I'm glad I don't use the Mail app on Mountain Lion, then. The push notifications could be cool, but I feel like if activity gets high, it could get very annoying.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

wolffenstein posted:

uh Mavericks hasn't been officially released so your expectations are way off.

Well.. the GM seed version is technically the retail release..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Does anyone know of any good software that can help clean up a Mac, or at least highlight where crap you don't use is idling? I normally use JDiskReport which works fine for large volumes of crap, but I haven't done a clean install in three computers due to finding licenses for a whole bunch of crap, and the Migration Assistant making life so easy.

That said, I wouldn't mind basically nuking everything except programs and a couple of folders right now.