Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Just poured my fourth Daisy Cutter in 100 minutes. Hot weather makes me drink...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

danbanana posted:

Just poured my fourth Daisy Cutter in 100 minutes. Hot weather makes me drink...

I've been killing Daisy Cutter lately, it went perfectly with some crazy spicy Thai food and the lovely weather we had today.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

My hot weather beer today is Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca. If I didn't have this, I'd probably be polishing off a few more New Glarus Berliner Weisses.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

crazyfish posted:

New Glarus Berliner Weisses.

This stuff is like drinking water. Delicious slightly alcoholic water.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

The Bribery is having a dark fruit sour flight Wednesday night. Lucky SOCal bastards.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

crazyfish posted:

My hot weather beer today is Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca.

I guess I'll put the second Enjoy By back in the fridge. A day of filling 2 grave sized holes with dirt (they weren't graves, the best I could tell) in MO humidity calls for this. Thank you for the recommendation.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Paul Proteus posted:

This stuff is like drinking water. Delicious slightly alcoholic water.

Alcoholic water? I'm in!

I'll be passing through Kenosha next weekend so hello Woodman's and hello Wisconsin beer!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Would anyone be interested in an SA beer it forward? I just got done with one on Reddit and it was pretty great. I'm positive goon generosity and general awesomeness would make it even better. If there's enough interest I'll open up a thread for it and get it goin!

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I'd probably be in for something like that.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That sounds like a great idea, I'm down.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeahm I am down

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I would like to do that, assuming I'm understanding the concept right. Basically someone sends you a package and you are assigned someone else to send equal value to?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Definitely interested in participating.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Just got back from Michigan. I had an amazing experience, and will probably write about it in further detail in the future.

Brought back a bunch of beer from Short's, Brewery Vivant, Oddside Ales, and a few bottles of Leelanau Good Harbor Golden. No bottles of La Folie that I could find :(

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've never been in a BIF before so I'd be down.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Captain Shortbus posted:

The only Rogues worth a drat are Chocolate Stout and Old Crustacean.

The hazelnut is excellent in my book. To each their own I guess.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

strikehold posted:

The hazelnut is excellent in my book. To each their own I guess.

I like the Hazelnut and the Chocolate Stout but I tend to not support companies that are assholes so I don't buy Rogue beers. :shobon:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

What's everyone's experience with Hitachino? I haven't tried much of their beer when traveling because the high price (a la Mikkeller) means I'll lean more towards a local tap instead. Now that it's more readily available here, I'm still not too excited. Current impression seems not-horrible, not-stellar, yet expensive because of the distance it has to travel.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

Current impression seems not-horrible, not-stellar, yet expensive because of the distance it has to travel.

pretty much. i think most of it is worth trying but i'm not sure i've bought anything but the espresso stout more than once (back when i was first getting into beer). Nipponia and Three Days are pretty tasty on tap, so i'm guessing they fare better traveling than the bottles.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I like the Hazelnut and the Chocolate Stout but I tend to not support companies that are assholes so I don't buy Rogue beers. :shobon:

What's the story behind Rogue being assholes?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

strikehold posted:

What's the story behind Rogue being assholes?

Go back a page and scroll to my post or ctrl+f for Rogue, that's just one. There's others out there as well.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

If true that's unacceptable. I do really like their hazelnut beer but if there's an alternative you guys know of I'll start picking that up instead.

E: I'm in the VA/DC area if that helps since I know some suggestions are probably unavailable here.

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 12, 2013

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

strikehold posted:

If true that's unacceptable. I do really like their hazelnut beer but if there's an alternative you guys know of I'll start picking that up instead.

E: I'm in the VA/DC area if that helps since I know some suggestions are probably unavailable here.

Frangelico boilermakers with any other beer. I am only half kidding but liquor tinctures are useful for adding flavors to beer.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Hooray for Festina Peche season!! I can and will drink it all day. ALL OF THE DAYS.

I also tried Bison Organic's Hop Cuvee. Moderate, but balanced, bitterness, with a grassy hop flavor/smell backed by nice citrus. It's 5.5% abv and I'd like to see it a bit lower because it'd be a great summer APA if it was. the smell really nailed it, though, and I'm a sucker for that hop aroma.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

LeafHouse posted:

Would anyone be interested in an SA beer it forward? I just got done with one on Reddit and it was pretty great. I'm positive goon generosity and general awesomeness would make it even better. If there's enough interest I'll open up a thread for it and get it goin!

I've never done a BIF before, is it just based on a set dollar amount and then you are expected to send whatever you like as long as it fits that?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I've never done a BIF before, is it just based on a set dollar amount and then you are expected to send whatever you like as long as it fits that?

Not necessarily a set dollar amount; people will set up various criteria for theirs and basically as long as you meet the criteria it's all good (though on BA you're generally expected to go over the minimum unless otherwise stated). I see lots of BIFs with minimum oz requirements and requirements to also include a piece of "breweriania".

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah, I'm not sure how to play BIF but I wouldn't mind getting in. I do live in CO, you never know what Crooked Stave beer(s) might end up in the box.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
I would definitely be interested if there was some way UK people could be involved. Obviously shipping makes that pretty tricky though so I'll understand if not.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Sirotan posted:

We can do dollar amount or an oz requirement. The one I did was 72 oz minimum but people are encouraged to send extra. Id have people share names on untappd or BA etc. so the sender can check out their preferences and likes. Usually it's best to send regional beers that they can't get where they are but you can send anything. I'd make the chain so that people are sending to others in different states.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Anyone have a line on some of the new Pipeworks releases? They stopped updating their twitter and its getting increasingly difficult to track new stuff down.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I'd be down for a BIF.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LeafHouse posted:

We can do dollar amount or an oz requirement. The one I did was 72 oz minimum but people are encouraged to send extra. Id have people share names on untappd or BA etc. so the sender can check out their preferences and likes. Usually it's best to send regional beers that they can't get where they are but you can send anything. I'd make the chain so that people are sending to others in different states.

I'm interested in this as well, unless we're talking an expectation of like hundreds of dollars in beer.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yup long as the parameters are reasonable I'm also game. Quick, someone make a Google doc!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Anyone have a line on some of the new Pipeworks releases? They stopped updating their twitter and its getting increasingly difficult to track new stuff down.

This is another thing that frustrates me about these guys. When they first started, their communication was awesome. Now, I have no idea what's coming when until it randomly shows up in stores.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

crazyfish posted:

This is another thing that frustrates me about these guys. When they first started, their communication was awesome. Now, I have no idea what's coming when until it randomly shows up in stores.

As far as new releases I've found their thread on BA to be the best source of info. I can pretty reliably find their new and old stuff at West Lakeview around the dates they announce and Gene's up in Lincoln Square a week or two after that.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

confonnit posted:

As far as new releases I've found their thread on BA to be the best source of info. I can pretty reliably find their new and old stuff at West Lakeview around the dates they announce and Gene's up in Lincoln Square a week or two after that.

I've been watching that thread and I still have no idea when new stuff drops until someone mentions that they spotted something (i.e. the new batch of Something Hoppy).

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

crazyfish posted:

I've relegated Pipeworks to being something that I can't actively seek out specific brews but just stumble upon them randomly.

I believe you can sign up for a special Pipeworks club at Binny's LP where you get first dibs on their stuff. I don't know how it works specifically but a guy in line ahead of me mentioned something of the sort.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

crazyfish posted:

Their communication with stores has gotten spotty as well as I understand it. The Binny's I frequent was getting regular deliveries from them on Thursdays, then for a few weeks they randomly stopped without any communication. It's since restarted, but I nearly missed out on Marilime Law because of it, ended up finding it at another Binny's near my house which is significantly further away from the one I normally go to.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Uuudar posted:

I've relegated Pipeworks to being something that I can't actively seek out specific brews but just stumble upon them randomly.

I believe you can sign up for a special Pipeworks club at Binny's LP where you get first dibs on their stuff. I don't know how it works specifically but a guy in line ahead of me mentioned something of the sort.

You had to donate some cash to their kickstarter to get in on that, that's been closed for some time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I think I've had it with Avery at this point. I mean not really, but their Barrel-Aged series is now 100% full of poo poo in terms of how out of hand it is. $10 for a 12 oz bottle, limit 12 in cash only at the brewery with a huge goddamn line where you wait for several hours and play the lottery to see if you even get the beer. And this release? A wild ale brewed with grape must in a chardonnay barrel.

Yeah, I get it. It will be a tasty beer, but the pricing is absurd and it's really devolved to a stupid hype event. But it's also not a beer that screams, "this is the most unique beer brewed with virgin boobsweat," either--wild ales brewed with this or that and then BA'd are pretty common at this point. I can buy their "big" beers in 22oz bombers for between $7-9 at my local store. I can buy a 350 mL of Crooked Stave for $7 and all they do is put out is zany poo poo like Avery's BA'd series. I can buy a huge variety of BA'd beers in bombers from a good number of breweries around the state for $10.

I have been up there. The line that's basically a giant impromptu bottle share is indeed fun, but considering that the BA series is not a once-a-year thing like DLD, it gets old to have to go wait for 4 hours in 100 degree weather every month or two to pay exorbitant prices for beer that may or may not be great. And sometimes it doesn't even make sense. BA Series 15 was just a coconut imperial porter aged in rum barrels. They didn't even goddamn sour it, just $10 for a style that you'd pay half or less the price per oz elsewhere. Hell, I got a growler fill of a lemon imperial wit ba'd in chardonnay barrels for $18 a few months ago. Same level of complexity, third of the price per oz, also incredibly delicious AND I got to have a glass before getting filled so I knew it was good.

Agh, I am done ranting. Just needed to get that off my chest. I know it's pretty common practice these days, it just pisses me off that craft beer seems to be exploding and somehow becoming less accessible at the same time. Want the best beer? Good loving luck, go stand in this or that line and pay through the nose if you're even lucky enough to pay in the first place! Or trade in the secondary market (if you are savvy enough to even know it exists in the first place) at several times the retail value of a beer. I will still buy Avery products, but I'll just be taking my money to more reasonable places for barrel aged releases.

Press release with language evidencing that Avery has officially lost it:

quote:

[PRESS RELEASE] Boulder, CO – When it rains, it pours! Another barrel-aged beauty is ready to be poured! Ross’s’s Melange, No. 16 in the Barrel-Aged Series, is an 11.04% ABV wild ale brewed with Chardonnay grape must and aged in first use Chardonnay barrels for 6 months. Brewed with both Brettanomyces and Champagne yeast, the beer is as wild and funky as the man who inspired it.

“This beer has a huge white wine influence and aromas of fresh pear juice. It has some nice tannic notes from the oak and is very dry, definitely Champagne-esque. This is an incredible beer to pair with food,” said Avery Chief Barrel-Herder Andy Parker.

Bottle sales will start at 4pm on Sunday June 16th, Fathers Day, at the Avery Tap Room, 5757 Arapahoe Ave. in Boulder, Colo. CASH ONLY, $10 per 12oz bottle, and limit of 12 bottles per person. Only 147 cases exist, so hop in line early to make sure you get your shot at this awesome beer!

"Wild and funky" "barrel-herder" "your shot at this awesome beer"