Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's more expensive and less functional than the Makrolon version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Everything about it.

- Heavy.
- Slippery.
- No ink window.

Basically they took Bauhaus thinking, the thing the Lamy 2000 is famous for, and threw all of it out the window. Form over function.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Don't forget to save some pen-money for Christmas. If there's enough interest, I'll run the gift exchange again.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'd be up for another exchange

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Pixelante posted:

Don't forget to save some pen-money for Christmas. If there's enough interest, I'll run the gift exchange again.

I'll participate! It was quite fun.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My local pen club is doing a custom pen through Leonardo Officina.

Leonardo Officina was started by the son of the guy who founded Delta

I will be buying another Delta in a few days.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Any cool new inks out lately?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Goulet has been pushing Whaleman's Sepia lately. Has anyone tried that? It looks like a nice subtle brown, could be a good sketching ink.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Heath posted:

Goulet has been pushing Whaleman's Sepia lately. Has anyone tried that? It looks like a nice subtle brown, could be a good sketching ink.

Yeah, it's a nice subtle brown. Very old fashioned. I'm a fan.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How's the bleedthrough? Does it dry on the nib?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I was at my monthly pen club meeting tonight and someone gave me a matte black Rotring 600 as a gift.

It is remarkably difficult to photograph a matte black fountain pen

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I watched the Suspiria remake again last night and at one point they have some sexy close up shots of what I later found out was a Montblanc 221. Now I want one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I bought another Delta

Hah hah hah, just kidding, I actually bought two.

Edit:

Non-potato pick of my Rotring

grack fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 21, 2019

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

grack posted:

I bought another Delta

Hah hah hah, just kidding, I actually bought two.

Edit:

Non-potato pick of my Rotring

God that looks so much better than the Newton and makes me want one even more... though not $250 more or whatever they run for used nowadays.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I ended up having to return my Lamy 2k. After using it some more I realized that it was way, way too dry; every single time I took the cap off I had to scribble with it for several seconds to get an ink flow, and I had to hold the nib almost sideways and move it about a quarter of an inch per second in order to lay down solid lines. From reading up on it there are a lot of quality control issues with the 2k so I'm not really willing to risk trying another one, either. Ah well, back to the Metro for now.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

So I was looking for a good pen for a friend over in GBS and someone linked me to this thread. Long story short, I'm getting myself a pilot metropolitan :v:
I can either go for a 1.0mm stub nib or a medium, non-stub, "pointier" nib. I'd like to give the stub nib a try because I like the way the letters look, but I worry it might damage the paper I use at work (Clairefontaine brand). Should I play it safe and get the standard nib instead?

e: also very interested in online shops with good delivery options in Western Europe

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 24, 2019

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Damage the paper? ... No. What? Get the stub.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, I've seen a few complaints about stub nibs piercing holes in the paper, but it sounded more like bad writing habits to me. Still, I'd rather ask a stupid question before I jump in.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

A really crisp stub or italic can gouge paper if you're not careful (I've done it with a parallel), but just take it slow, keep your hand steady and you won't have any problems.

Those absolute madmen, Visconti finally made a version of the Bronze Age Homo Sapiens with an ink window.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 24, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Clairefontaine is more than suited to a fountain pen, let alone a stub nib.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Alright then, pilot metro and tsuki-yo bottle ordered :dance:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I had a really crisp stub that could easily slice the top layer of the paper if one weren’t careful. With a careful hand it was fine, but sometimes you don’t have the time/space to be careful when writing something.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Crisp italics don't need to have edges that sharp, that's just crappy nib work.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I did a thing. Sorry for my terrible penmanship.

Similar thickness of the lines but the Visconti is definitely more wet. So smooth to write with and the weight and feel of the lava/resin is just wonderful.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oooh, is that one of the new Visconti nibs? Very cool.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Oooh, is that one of the new Visconti nibs? Very cool.

Yep it's the 18k gold *googles* Perfecttouch nib.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Is that blue lava??

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's definitely black*, looking at the picture I posted again I can tell the lighting isn't great. I'll see if I can get a picture in the sun tomorrow.

*nature and poo poo so like there is probably a hint of blue in there, it's not as black as my Pilot Metro for example

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I did a thing. Sorry for my terrible penmanship.

Similar thickness of the lines but the Visconti is definitely more wet. So smooth to write with and the weight and feel of the lava/resin is just wonderful.

GREAT choice of ink for that color of Visconti! Love it.

fake edit: oh I see there's a new post and it's not actually blue. Shame; it's a pretty color.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

god im the loving worst. got a fracture on this old vintage pen i bought because i flexed it too much.

this thing survived almost 100 years for this dumb heavy handed idiot to come ruin this thing.

Ugh. i should just stick to noodlers flex pens or whatever.

(bad) pic.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You're history's greatest monster.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m calling the pen police

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Sankis posted:

god im the loving worst. got a fracture on this old vintage pen i bought because i flexed it too much.

this thing survived almost 100 years for this dumb heavy handed idiot to come ruin this thing.

Ugh. i should just stick to noodlers flex pens or whatever.

(bad) pic.

Is it a Mabie Todd? You should be able to find a replacement nib on EBay or something.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well it's a super cloudy and rainy day but this is much closer to reality.

Nib-focus

Homo Sapiens band/body focus

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

bobfather posted:

Is it a Mabie Todd? You should be able to find a replacement nib on EBay or something.

Nah, it's one of those 1/8th gold (?) pens from something called "Reliable". I can't find anything on it.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 30, 2019

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Sankis posted:

Nah, it's one of those 1/8th gold (?) pens from something called "Reliable". I can't find anything on it.

Hey, that pen looks really neat :3: . I have seen that brand before. The name makes it a pain to google it, but they also used a second name, Relco, which is a bit more distinctive. Still not a lot of info on them, they look like a second or third tier brand, which isn't that much of a bad thing: they did some awesome looking pens and it has survived all that time, after all. Try looking for a jewellers' marking, sometimes in the 20's and 30's lower-end economic pens were gold and silver plated by third parties and sold for a profit, so maybe your pen was originally hard rubber and that's why there seems to not be much info about it.

I don't have that much experience with cracked nibs, other than cracking one myself during a repair (in half :bang:), but the crack looks really tiny by now, maybe the pen will be just as good as it is. If it's not, or the crack keeps growing, and you feel up to it, finding a replacement nib shouldn't be that hard. Nibs were swapped all the time, and as long as it is not too big or too small for the feeder, the pen should take a new one without much fuss, even if it is not exactly the same size. I own a 20's Watermans that came with a tiny replacement nib that was about two-thirds the size of the original nib, and while it felt small, it worked just fine. You won't do worse that what some repairmen did to pens in hard times/without proper replacement pieces, and they got them working.

I don't know where you live, but cheap vintage third-rate nibs turn up online here in Spain for 5 to 10 euros, so Ebay surfing may be an option. You can even go upscale and give the pen a really nice vintage nib: I have bought from the guys at vintagefountainpens.co.uk before and they have nice stuff at not-so-high prices, though it may be worth looking for american equivalents if you're in the States. Alternatively, for newly made nibs, Fountain Pen Revolution flex steel nibs also have worked well for me, they are not a miracle, but they do a job and do it well for the $6 they cost (note: always check the size before ordering, as modern pens do have bigger nibs than vintage ones!). Hope that helps!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 31, 2019

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Apologies for the double post, but I've been wanting for a bit to share some pen repair oddities I have found on vintage pens, if anyone is interested on them. Those are pretty run-of-the-mill, I guess, but if you like looking at curious pens, it might be worth your time.

For context: 40's and 50's Spain did suffer from a lot of importation material shortages, both from after-civil war effects and from a ban on imported products that was in effect for a period of some years. Even later, sometimes either there was no way to get a repair piece in here, or it was prohibitively expensive, or both. But people had pens and pens had to keep working, so repairmen made do with what they had. Some examples, like the Esterbrook, are also probably an effect of people just plainly not wanting to spend much in fixing what was effectively a work-grade pen.

This one I have shown before, but this is the 20's Watermans I was referring to earlier. The Watermans 2 nib, which is pretty small on itself, was swapped for a Warranted 14K flex gold one that looks absolutely tiny for the rest of the pen. I do think this nib could have been intended for a safety pen, or maybe came from dismantling one.

Another one I show some time ago: a vac-fil early 40's Sheaffer, with the silver gold-plated wartime cap. The vac-fil system had disappeared and the pen had been very handily converted into a button-filler. Though both sac and lever were unusable when it arrived, now it's properly back to work.

Esterbrook later J-series, in red. The nib, which fits the pen perfectly, is spanish-made and of a rather mediocre quality. This factory was producing pens up until the mid sixties, and they seemed to found a niche in making Esterbrook-compatible nibs.

Canadian Parker Vacumatic of dubious age (imprint quite clearly says "58", which is way past vacumatic time, even for Canada; may be a replacement body?). Whatever nib it had when it arrived here, it probably was not an UK-made Duofold broad nib. Won't complain about it, though; it is a bit crushed, but it is a flexible broad that writes nicely. I don't think this was a repair, more probably someone wanted a custom pen, but it and the imprint make for a really eclectic piece.

Another Canadian Parker, they and UK made ones seem to be the norm here. This time a 1934 early-production Parkette. Kind of battered, but with its original inverted two-tone nib (it sits a bit higher than it used to because I had to take it apart for cleaning, it was fully clogged). It has a twist, though. Seller said that "iridium has worn out" but that's not normal wear: someone cut this nib from a (maybe broken?) fine into a home-made stub nib, and either made it resemble a right-foot oblique off the bat, or repeated use from the owner on the softer gold nib made it slant like it. Which is fun, as most obliques do slant to the left, not the right, when viewed from the front; this nib is actually a bit odd to use as a right-handed writer, as the higher side faces downwards and forces a strange pen angle. It is quite possible this was made for, or heavily used by, a left-handed writer.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Jiru posted:

Canadian Parker Vacumatic of dubious age (imprint quite clearly says "58", which is way past vacumatic time, even for Canada; may be a replacement body?).

Vacs seem to have been made sorta off the books pretty late. I have a US marked Vac with a 60 datecode, and it even has a matching Liquid Lead pencil, which is all sorts of wrong according to the conventional timeline. There are other reports of 60 Vacs on FPN and such. I suspect, but have no way to prove, that a late run or runs of Vacs was made for export to Asia, because they seem relatively common here in Hong Kong.

By the way, if you're in Spain and are into vintage pens, have you come across Wiese Montblancs? I had no idea such a thing existed until a friend picked a few up in a flea market. It's a pretty fascinating story!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Warranted made a lot of replacement nibs for the repair and secondary markets. It's not uncommon to find them in all sorts of sizes.

Also, I bought a Cross Verve, for *checks notes* shits and/or giggles.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Warranted made a lot of replacement nibs for the repair and secondary markets. It's not uncommon to find them in all sorts of sizes.

Also, I bought a Cross Verve, for *checks notes* shits and/or giggles.

Warranted isn't a brand, it's just a catchy sounding buzzword that no-name makers liked to put on their generic nibs. Among Japanese nibs, it comes up a bit more frequently than other generic terms like "best quality", "hardest", or oddly enough, "lifetime".