Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Impermanent posted:

How gross is the Forbidden Stars theme? (and why couldn't they have stuck with starcraft, I would have much preferred that.)

Starcraft and Warhammer 40k are pretty much equally dumb as hell but if you can't suspend your disgust long enough to enjoy dropping Big Dumb Space Mans from orbit or to send a Truck Full of Green Assholes careening into someone's planet or to use your massed cultists to summon a Heavy Metal Album Cover Walking Tank then you're missing out on a fun game that is also thinky as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I guess I'm thinking about the succubi and daemonettes in some types of warhammer. Is there any terrible boob art for 12 year olds in there or are we mostly sanitized?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Impermanent posted:

How gross is the Forbidden Stars theme? (and why couldn't they have stuck with starcraft, I would have much preferred that.)

It much more of a straight up space ships and space mans game than Chaos in the Old World. The board doesn't represent stretched out human skin for one, and (I'm fairly sure) there's no rain of pus in it.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Not from what I saw. There's one Mark of Slaneesh card that has a demon lady whispering to some dude, that's about it.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Impermanent posted:

I guess I'm thinking about the succubi and daemonettes in some types of warhammer. Is there any terrible boob art for 12 year olds in there or are we mostly sanitized?

Oh! Sorry, in that case

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Not from what I saw. There's one Mark of Slaneesh card that has a demon lady whispering to some dude, that's about it.

is right, outside of the Mark of Slaanesh there's very, very little that could be considered objectionable.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Impermanent posted:

Like Twilight Imperium, the fluff is only there if you care to read it.

For example, you need to claim objectives to win but these are just generic points - however, each objective has some art and a description attached to it and you can go 'Oh cool, I just discovered some ancient sword powered by a demon' or 'Sweet, I found some trukk fuel so I can use the trukks to go find some more trukk fuel'. But they don't impact the game at all.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Roads & Boats

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Durendal posted:

Roads & Boats

Yeah I take it back, Roads & Boats.

edit: that's *my* duck pond!!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

Basically (and of course this is my opinion) Martin Wallace is a terrible business manager and he blames everyone but himself. A long time ago, he and Winsome Games went in together to make Age of Steam. Well Martin never asked for a contract and then Winsome sold the game to Eagle without Martin's consent. Without the contract he didn't have a legal leg to stand on but was very angry about the whole thing. He was supposed to have a business manager who also didn't bother to get a contract for Martin either (the business manager was apparently a good friend). Then Martin tried to stop Eagle from using the name Age of Steam, but he had lost his trademark application or something like that so therefore his case was thrown out of court.

The thing is, all he has to do is file a DMCA complaint against Eagle if in fact Eagle doesn't have the rights to do the KS. Just file it with Kickstarter, they'll take it down and it'll be gone. Since he hasn't done that apparently, then I take it as yet another poor business decision by Martin. I know more about this than I think I can say as I've talked extensively with the Eagle owner, and like I said, I just think Martin is not good at business/legal stuff.

Gigantic thread on the topic with responses from Wallace and Eagle, including wallace posting some of the contract:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1384524/nobody-has-posted-about-deluxe-edition-kickstarter/page/15

I've been stuck in a car so I wasted some time reading it. There is .. a lot of weird crap in there. I don't know, but I guess my gut feels that if he has a legal foothold here he should take it up there and not publicly slap fight with the company. Neither party seems to have their poo poo together so I'm not really eager to trust anyone's blog post at this point. Apparently Vital Lacerda is going to act as mediator between them; he's probably being indirectly damaged by this whole kerfluffle since he has his Gallerist kickstarter going but he obviously has conflicts of interest.

E: looks like some people started rabble rousing on the Gallerist comments section, and a bunch of pledges were removed since the 60k stretch goal was unlocked but the project shows that it's only at 46k pledged currently (e: actually I guess the 60k is international total and the 46k being displayed is only for the U.S.). A few other designers like Matt Leacock, Mike Fitzgerald, Matthew Riddle, Ben Pinchback and Alf Seegert have posted on the Gallerist comments page backing up Eagle. Given the good will from other designers and Wallace's reputation (fantasy flight games arranging for mediation of the age of steam thing and the fallout, csi bailing out his kickstarter, losing the discworld rights by failing to renew on time, etc), the smear campaign doesn't sit well with me.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 24, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm not sure you can criticise Wallace for not renewing the Discworld rights on time, all things considered.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
What actually happened there? The Discworld game has seen a lot of play with my mates and, while the Witches was crap, the Gods sounded like it could have been great.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm presuming Sir Terry dying has something to do with it somewhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm presuming Sir Terry dying has something to do with it somewhere.

Yeah, and apparently he hadn't been in good health since the start of the year. The most likely explanation for Wallace not renewing the rights is that the renewal date coincided with Terry's final illness and he didn't want to trouble the family.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
That's what I figured, it just sounded like more information had been released. Reddit had a bunch of conspiracy theories when the news broke, with speculation about the licence being sold to a more commercial organisation without Terry (or family) there to stop it. Shame all round.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 24, 2015

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I just got an unopened copy of Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary Edition in a trade. I seriously doubt I'll get a chance to play it for several weeks due to lots of things going on, but should I go ahead and open it? Weren't there problems regarding missing components or something?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, and apparently he hadn't been in good health since the start of the year. The most likely explanation for Wallace not renewing the rights is that the renewal date coincided with Terry's final illness and he didn't want to trouble the family.

Yeah, that makes sense. My original take was based on Tony Boydell's blog where he mentioned that Martin Wallace needs a calendar that electroshocks him on key dates and mentions Wallace's 'bad luck' with things like this. That seemed to imply that he had forgotten rather than mindfully waited to renew.

But I still think it can be added as exhibit G to the "Wallace is probably a bad businessman" case

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
All Martin has to do is file a DMCA complaint with KS. But no, he loves being the victim and letting everyone know about it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. My original take was based on Tony Boydell's blog where he mentioned that Martin Wallace needs a calendar that electroshocks him on key dates and mentions Wallace's 'bad luck' with things like this. That seemed to imply that he had forgotten rather than mindfully waited to renew.

But I still think it can be added as exhibit G to the "Wallace is probably a bad businessman" case

Boydell weighs in here.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

medchem posted:

I just got an unopened copy of Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary Edition in a trade. I seriously doubt I'll get a chance to play it for several weeks due to lots of things going on, but should I go ahead and open it? Weren't there problems regarding missing components or something?

Some shipped with the wrong battle board. I don't know if you would be able to request a replacement as you aren't the original KS backer. I'd open it up and check if I were you.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's weird that virtually every other designer who has worked with Eagle recently has come to vouch for them on the Gallerist page.. Must be more bad luck for Mr. Wallace!

I'm also reminded of the Few Acres of Snow mess where it seemed like he was reluctant to face the music and acknowledge the strategic collapse in that game. He suggests that all two player games are broken as opposed to a Few Acres of Snow being flawed..

Frankly, I don't usually care much and will happily play Brass and London, Death of the Author etc, but I'm concerned when someone like this sets about destroying the reputation of a small player in a very small industry, when the accuser themselves seems hardly credible

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking for a not-ridiculously-heavy Euro that sits a variable number of people (up to 5). Looking at Archipelago, it seems to be well regarded (depictions of aborigines excluded ) and it also has a solo expansion, which could be fun.

Viticulture or Caverna

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
I am currently borrowing a GoPro and recorded a few things.

First up is my Race for the Galaxy foamcore insert that I made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugk4JaZzdIc

2p Carcassonne time-lapse with my daughter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Z7mXQMae4

2p Agricola time-lapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S261NR3Ozxc

**fixed carcassonne link

murk fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 24, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Popcorn + card game :chloe:

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bottom Liner posted:

Popcorn + card game :chloe:

I know, I know! We have some chopsticks to use for the meta snack game now.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Your Carcassonne link is the same as the Agricola link. That's pretty awesome otherwise though!

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

I can't see your board so clearly, but it looks like both you and your daughter have different types of animals sharing a single pasture.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's the word on Eight-Minute Empire: Legends?

I need more Pictomania cards, stat. Does anyone have hope of an expansion? New content would be super easy to produce, I'd think.

Also how do people wash their Pictomania eraser sponges? I assume just a bit of warm water will do nicely.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 24, 2015

murk
Oct 31, 2003

Esposito posted:

I can't see your board so clearly, but it looks like both you and your daughter have different types of animals sharing a single pasture.

Yes, good catch. We have since fixed that rules mistake.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

What's the word on Eight-Minute Empire: Legends?

I haven't played it but every review I've seen boils down to: It's more like 20-30 minute empire, and it's a passable non-terrible game but not really all that satisfying.

P.S. Kemet.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

SuperKlaus posted:

Also how do people wash their Pictomania eraser sponges? I assume just a bit of warm water will do nicely.

If they get beyond salvage, you can pick up replacement sponge squares in the makeup aisle of Insert Big Box Retailer Here. Or the painting aisle of Michael's, if being near cosmetics is too dangerous to your masculinity.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Someone asked me for advice and I wrote a bunch of words on running PBPs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

medchem posted:

My box was missing the red minions and the Very Far Lands board...but I just contacted CGE about it and sent them my serial number, and I got the replacement bits a while later in the mail. I wouldn't worry about it.

That game was fun to open. But it's not something you can sleeve, there's just not enough space in the insert :smith:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

A friend wants to buy some party games and is asking me to recommend some. He wants games that play at least 8-10 people. I've already recommended he get Resistance and Ladies & Gentlemen. Anything else great I'm missing? Party games are not my forte.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Any Thoughts on Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective?

Only one copy available in the whole country right now, from what I can see....

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Ojetor posted:

A friend wants to buy some party games and is asking me to recommend some. He wants games that play at least 8-10 people. I've already recommended he get Resistance and Ladies & Gentlemen. Anything else great I'm missing? Party games are not my forte.

Say Anything will go up to 8.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Any Thoughts on Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective?

It can work, but the writing is really hit and miss. In particular, a couple of the missions had their answers randomly changed (?!?!?) without making the appropriate changes to the mysteries (as you might guess, this is really unsatisfying). Others have stupid "you should have read all the newspapers again" crap, and there's some brutal red herrings.

In general, it also has a hard limit on replayability - you get 10 mysteries and you're done.

But it's unique, and at its best its a pleasant game that works in a variety of situations - bigger groups shouting out dumb ideas, a couple in a car, and most places in between.

VVV: Yeah, my wife and I played it on a road trip and it actually works decently like that... or it usually does anyway. Again, it's kind of flakey.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 24, 2015

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Was planning on mainly using as a couples game. An alternative to watching a mystery show on tv, more than an alternative to Roll for the Galaxy or Dungeon Petz.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ojetor posted:

Tell him if he starts breaking the group up, the number of available games increases by an order of magnitude.

If he refuses to even entertain the idea of splitting the group up, add Coup to the list. It goes up to 10 with the expansion.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Space Cadets: Dice Duel is great fun but only plays up to 8. Panic on Wall Street goes to 11 I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Myrmidongs posted:

I haven't played it but every review I've seen boils down to: It's more like 20-30 minute empire, and it's a passable non-terrible game but not really all that satisfying.

It's eight minutes per player. It is pretty unsatisfying, though. Laukat's other game, The Ancient World, is much better, so don't treat his name as a poison brush.