Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
If you've got a slot for a Grave Robber or Vestal I'd love to be either. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you prevent an important person from getting potted by guarding them or does it ignore guards

Because if guarding works I would just use a roided up hellion in the front row with a man at arms behind her to guard, and he can just attack the hag anyway if someone else gets potted. If that person comes out on death's door then he has a chance to go before the hag gets any further attacks and guard them to keep them from dying

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Guarding does work on the pot attack but the pot attack is so blindingly fast that you're almost certain not to get a chance to guard before it goes off on the first round, and getting a chance to guard on later rounds is a coin toss. If you want to try for it the Houndmaster is probably better than Man at Arms for pot guarding, because the pot attack can be dodged (although it's very accurate).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The mentality of using the man at arms is he has more health than the dog man so he lasts longer in the pot but yeah I've never actually tried this myself

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Don't play like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8vKecumvMA&t=2052s
I mean, I enjoy playing fast and loose, but that was totally avoidable. All Baer had to do was camp (and he had tons of food, too).

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

If you've got a slot for a Grave Robber or Vestal I'd love to be either. :)

Cool, added you as a Legend Vestal! Just need to work on removing some nasty quirks now.

I've finally gone beyond my NG+ game while playing Radiant mode. Gonna post a trip report from DD mission 2 later today. Bringing DJF & ZorajitZorajit again, since I've never had characters return to the DD. Might be interesting or disastrous, or both?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Fruits of the sea brought home a dead bird to the back door:

But not before it dodged a million times and nearly murdered Bogart the Arbalest:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Digirat posted:

The mentality of using the man at arms is he has more health than the dog man so he lasts longer in the pot but yeah I've never actually tried this myself

That's a good point, I suppose if your goal is to put a beefy guy in the pot and just leave him there while everyone else pounds the hag he's the better choice. The bigger issue is just getting him there at all. Even IF you get your guard off on the correct character before the pot attack, you've still only got 50/50 odds of the hag potting the Man at Arms, and I'm not sure it would be worth it to spend a character's turn on that.

That's not to say the Man at Arms would be a bad pick on this boss. He has a riposte, a stun, a rank-3 attack, he's shuffle resistant, he's got a lot of hit points, and really good camping buffs.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The goons went on DD mission 2:

Major Spoilers:

Oh yeah, Radiant mode, this is cool, I can bring people back on DD missions!

Oh wait, poo poo. Two of my heroes are already ultra stressed? DJF was at zero stress at the Hamlet.

DJF got crit once, and instantly got hit with a resolve check. Luckily, he became Courageous. Needless to say, that saved the whole run.

Then DJF went on a killing spree.

Hell yeah.

ZorajitZorajit showing the Eldritch scum who the real boss is.

Bogart was the only person without protection from Revelation. Bad Seafood wasn't defending her for a round, so she got the worst of it.

That's not good!!

Already on Death's Door, and Zorajit got hammered. I was lucky there.

Hold it together, ZorajitZorajit...

Jesus, that was too dang close for me.

At least we didn't wipe? A fun but very messy run.

Things would have gone much better if I hadn't of brought 2 heroes back there, starting with 80 stress in the first room means you need to exploit the cultist enemies and spam stress heal on your team.

Lesson learned. We'll bring a new team next time.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Jedah posted:

Things would have gone much better if I hadn't of brought 2 heroes back there, starting with 80 stress in the first room means you need to exploit the cultist enemies and spam stress heal on your team.

Lesson learned. We'll bring a new team next time.
[/spoiler]

You know what helps with stress? A fun little ditty. :smug:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

True, Jester would have helped a ton in that situation, especially his camping skills. Using Finale would be very risky in DD mission 2, though. Unless the Jester had some kind of a dedicated defender, or maybe Flesh's Heart equipped. Otherwise he'd quickly get dropped to Death's Door by a bunch of different attacks, especially those awful crits.

Dogman was able to take care of the stress. He switched to position 3 and spammed stress heal, and used Therapy Dog while camping. Occultist stunned/stabbed in position 2 for a bit, and it was consistently landing for about 30 damage. :stare: Weakening Curse also took a respectable bite out of the incoming damage.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yayyyy, professional shootboy Bogart survives. :toot:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
My Man-at-Arms just got the Fated quirk, I looked it up and it seems good, but how useful is it in practice? I've been using him more as a support character and having him bounce around the middle ranks with rampart and my grave robber doing lunge/shadow fade so I'm not sure if it's worth locking in for him.

Is there a list of quirks to absolutely lock in? I know ones like natural swing and quick reflexes are top tier stuff depending on the character but I'm still getting a handle of everything and don't want to screw up a free sanitarium stay when it comes up again :ohdear:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

praise the steadfast hound

e:

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 3, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

My Man-at-Arms just got the Fated quirk, I looked it up and it seems good, but how useful is it in practice? I've been using him more as a support character and having him bounce around the middle ranks with rampart and my grave robber doing lunge/shadow fade so I'm not sure if it's worth locking in for him.

Is there a list of quirks to absolutely lock in? I know ones like natural swing and quick reflexes are top tier stuff depending on the character but I'm still getting a handle of everything and don't want to screw up a free sanitarium stay when it comes up again :ohdear:

fated is better on dudes that miss a lot, but it's still not great

quirks are entirely based on your playstyle. +prot, +hp, +speed, +lightlover, +acc are generally pretty good. but the presence or absence of a quirk is unlikely to gently caress a run up, so it is not something to stress over because that will make you play worse, which will gently caress a run up

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

The best ones in my opinion :

On guard: Gives you a ton of extra speed and dodge on the first round. Quick reflexes is great too for longer fights, but ideally you want to shut down enemies as quickly as possible. It's useful on a ton of heroes too.

Warrior of light: +10% more damage when torch over 75.there's so many incentives to having high torchlight anyway that this is an easy pick, and it applies to both ranged and melee, making it particularly handy for a Highwayman. It can also stack with +10% melee or ranged damage quirk so an Arbalest can effectively get +20% more damage from two quirks alone on top of everything else.

Steady: There's so many ways to heal stress that restoring 10% more comes up a lot, especially when stacked with other abilities. Especially good on Abomination. Abomination with Calm, Steady, and Ancestors Scroll can restore himself pretty well offsetting the downsides of transformation.

Unyielding: You have a ten percent chance of not dying. Also very good, as deathblow resist items are few and far between and the default deathblow resist is 67%.

[creature type] hater/slayer: I'll lock these on heroes that have anti creature type skills, but it's down to personal preference.

Tough/Hard Skinned: Same. Nice on a man at arms to make him super tanky, but not necessarily required.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 3, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

:feelsgood:

Trying to lock in some positive quirks before DD3, but it's about time to finish the campaign.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Did the hellion die

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

fated is better on dudes that miss a lot, but it's still not great

quirks are entirely based on your playstyle. +prot, +hp, +speed, +lightlover, +acc are generally pretty good. but the presence or absence of a quirk is unlikely to gently caress a run up, so it is not something to stress over because that will make you play worse, which will gently caress a run up
I feel like most of my fuckups come from not provisioning correctly, forgetting what monsters in an area have a specific resist type, and at least twice I've sent my party out forgetting to equip them with trinkets (lmao), just figure the more permanent solutions help a bit. I've been playing very conservatively as I'm still new to the game, so I do a lot of stuns and try to have at least one DoTer on hand.

Panfilo posted:

The best ones in my opinion :

I locked On Guard in on my Occultist which I'm thinking might not have been the greatest use of money since he's already pretty quick, but being able to pull a back row guy before the other team does anything is nice.

The starting crusader has Warrior of Light, correct? I feel like I rarely ever have my torch above 75, maybe I just have to be more liberal with using them.

Thanks guys!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Nobody has died yet. Panfilo nearly died to Cripple Them in the Warrens. Highwang came through with a massive crit heal to save the day.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Looking good! Jedah, do you think you can tackle the Shambler at some point? If only so I can live vicariously through my namesake.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Those huge healing crits are that I love about the Occultist.

Dunno how I feel about my Bounty Hunters load out ; do you not have wounding helmet? His stuns are good, no doubt about that. But so is chopping bandits in half with huge bonus damage. I've been taking mine with wounding helmet+Dismas Head. With +10% melee damage/+10% damage with 75 torch, you're looking at +65% damage pretty much all the time. Combined with a handy marked, stunned, or human target you can do enormous damage even when you don't crit, you don't have to pray to RNGesus to get a big crit like with the Grave Robber or Arbalest. One thing I like about my damage specced Bounty hunter is that the damage output is very consistent (at the expense of everything else, of course).

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Panfilo, I'll try Wounding Helmet+Dismas Head. Gonna be missing some of that accuracy, but I'll give it a shot. In that particular dungeon his role was to stun the back line, but let's do an all-out damage run and see what happens.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Looking good! Jedah, do you think you can tackle the Shambler at some point? If only so I can live vicariously through my namesake.

Thanks! Sure, I'll try, but the Shambler has been shy today. I walked around in pitch darkness in a Champ dungeon and it wasn't showing up. Haven't been able to find any altars, either. :shrug:

Champ Shambler has a very good chance of killing one of the goons. I don't have ideal gear from my Darkest game (4 x Moon Cloaks, Moon Rings) so it will be a genuine challenge.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Panfilo posted:

I've been taking mine with wounding helmet+Dismas Head.
Good advice.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Seems reasonable.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well in fairness it does do most of the heavy lifting

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Jedah posted:

Good advice.

Splat.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lucked out fighting the shrieker for the first time. Not sure how it would have gone without a man at arms and vestal to buff accuracy/debuff dodge.

Hitting a mid-game slump now where keeping the roster decently equipped and trained is a struggle. I haven't even looked at camping skills yet.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Nice job, Fruits of the sea. You know what I'm gonna suggest, right? Time for some Antiquarian runs. Line your pockets with cash while hiding behind a HWM/MAA with Riposte, it's the best.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

well in fairness it does do most of the heavy lifting

Good point, there's some serious work inequality going on in this game. I wanna see the Houndmaster get on all fours and dash toward a bunch of pigmen, biting their heels and causing them to bleed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Lucked out fighting the shrieker for the first time. Not sure how it would have gone without a man at arms and vestal to buff accuracy/debuff dodge.

Hitting a mid-game slump now where keeping the roster decently equipped and trained is a struggle. I haven't even looked at camping skills yet.

One of the counterintuitive things about this game is that you don't want your heroes to level up too fast, because you get stuck with a bunch of level 5's that you can't reasonably afford to equip properly, and Champion missions that are way too hard to do for such characters at that point. Ideally with a big roster you can rotate through heroes to keep them all at level 2 or level 4 as long as possible, since those respective levels give the heroes the most advantage relative to their dungeon difficulty (assuming they're equipped/skilled up).

Another option besides what Jedah suggested is to do the special missions (gather X items/interact with X curios). With the gather quests, the Weald one makes the Sanitarium free, giving you free quirk removal/locks and disease clearing. With the Cove mission you get a free blacksmith weapon upgrade, so if there's anybody that is level 5 with a level 4 weapon, you can upgrade them and save like 8,000g. I also always try to level up the blacksmith and guild so I can upgrade the stagecoach to get experienced recruits, as this gives you a level 1/2/3 hero with all their skills and equipment upgraded up to that point, a lot faster and cheaper than bringing up a hero from level 0.

I wouldn't worry so much about unlocking camp skills because it is fairly expensive to do so, and chances are you can just get someone off the wagon with the camp skill you wanted anyway.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I killed a Veteran Shambler, but it was with a bunch of upgraded level 5s. It's nice that Radiant mode lets you do this, but it felt like I was bullying a cosmic horror.

If you guys want some goon death and excitement, I'll try to fight the Champ Shambler. I'm calling it now, fucker is definitely gonna kill a goon.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Champ shambler gets two actions a turn right? That's part of what makes him so hard I think. Not to mention you have to kill those sycophants ASAP because they get stronger every turn they're alive.

Usually I'll try to DoT the Shambler to death. You could go with shuffle resistant party, but the downside is those heroes tend to be more squishy.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jedah posted:

If you guys want some goon death and excitement, I'll try to fight the Champ Shambler. I'm calling it now, fucker is definitely gonna kill a goon.

Since you probably aren't taking me to DD3, because it means no vestal, I want in on that action!

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

rydiafan posted:

Since you probably aren't taking me to DD3, because it means no vestal, I want in on that action!

I humbly submit myself to be shambler bait. One... last... finale.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

SHY NUDIST GRRL, our fearless leader:

Makaris, from downtown!

This is why she's the leader:

:btroll:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Dalaram posted:

I humbly submit myself to be shambler bait. One... last... finale.

rydiafan posted:

That's brave of you guys... What's a good Jester/Abom party to tackle the Champ Shambler? Arbalest/Jester/Abomination/MAA?

Abom could deal with the summons using Rake, then Rage on the Shambler.

MAA guards Arbalest/Jester and uses Bellow/Riposte/Crush? Dunno if I could stun the Champ Shambler, maybe. But probably not.

Arbalest marks, heals, and uses Sniper shot (although this is a lot of stuff for one character to do)

Jester uses Dirk Stab, Finale, Battle Ballad, and Stress Heal? Maybe one bleed skill would be worth using, too.

That team is vulnerable to the night time ambush while camping, hmm...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Jedah posted:

That's brave of you guys... What's a good Jester/Abom party to tackle the Champ Shambler? Arbalest/Jester/Abomination/MAA?

Abom could deal with the summons using Rake, then Rage on the Shambler.

MAA guards Arbalest/Jester and uses Bellow/Riposte/Crush? Dunno if I could stun the Champ Shambler, maybe. But probably not.

Arbalest marks, heals, and uses Sniper shot (although this is a lot of stuff for one character to do)

Jester uses Dirk Stab, Finale, Battle Ballad, and Stress Heal? Maybe one bleed skill would be worth using, too.

That team is vulnerable to the night time ambush while camping, hmm...

I like Arbalest, but for a foe like the shambler she's mainly useful if you already had other healers and people to mark. For the team you are planning, maybe replace her with a Plague Doctor because the PD will purge off the bleeds and blights you'll suffer, can blight the shambler and try to stun the shambler and a sycophant.

Dirk stab, shield bash and slam are going to be your friend in order to get your Plague doctor back into position. If you get lucky and manage to slam/bash a sycophant back you might get him in a position to be raked along with another one.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
In that situation... Man having no Vestal stinks. Arbalest might be the best bet? Occultist is faster, generally better heals, and bonus damage vs Eldritch, but the Arbalest offers more damage overall and, more importantly, a fat stack of HP to bring the party up to a solid level. Really the weak link is the Jester, but him plus the Abom might be enough AOE to win out.

I would make sure to attempt this only in the Cove, and only via a Shambler totem after you've cleared out the place and can be sure you're going into the fight strong, wife camping buffs. Make sure you gimmick the poo poo out of the dungeon and stall, stall, stall. Gotta be at peak performance for the fight. And you might have to exploit stalling just to clear the dungeon at all, Shambler or not.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
I figured it out.

Find a battle with a pelagic Guardian. Debuff/stun/etc him while deliberately stressing out the Abomination to the point he eventually triggers virtue (hopefully powerful). If you're patient enough, do this with the entire party since the Jester can also get their stress down.

But even with just a virtued Abomination your chances are much better, since he'll almost always act first and hit like a truck.

One good thing about your setup also is you can get in some good party buffs before the shambler fight. Abomination can Psych Up then the Jester can immediately remove the stress afterward. Then the MaA can use Battle Tactics and Arbalest restring crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So I finally finished the game for the first time.

DD3 was pretty easy since there were no priests or cultists to deal with. I managed to activate the locus beacon without needing to use more than one campfire, which is good because I forgot to bring antivenoms. I like the sounds that the Mammoth Cyst makes.

Then I went and dealt with the Drowned Crew. I feel like those guys are way too easy. Even if they throw the anchor it isn't a big deal.

I killed the Formless Flesh, which was a very close fight. Even with a highwayman, Dogman, and Hellion bleeding that fucker to death it brought three of the four party members to death's door and killed the hellion.

Then I went and finished off the bosses with the 16 pounder. Not too tough, had a close call when everyone missed the fuseman somehow but the cannon misfired the only time it was lit.

Shrieker came back for one more go and I killed it without any real trouble.

DD4 was really fun. I sacrificed an arbalest and a dogman (he said it was okay, what a champ) and Dismas landed the last hit, winning the day. My only regret is that Reynauld was not there with him :qq:.

And with that, I am done until the Crimson Court drops later this month. Until then I am moving on to La-Mulana, another game about dark dungeons that I have never finished.