Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Manatee Cannon posted:

if there's one thing skypiea absolutely did not need, it's more flashbacks

I agree wholeheartedly, I just think it could've been distributed differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

You know that is true, we never really did get much of a backstory about Enel other than 'Came from Bilkia->Nuke Bilkia->Take the throne'

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what's alvida's tragic backstory

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I guess that's another reason he sticks out as a villain? He doesn't have a tragic backstory and relatable motives. He's just a big-fish-in-a-small-pond shitbag who thinks he's god. Instead of a shocking history reveal, you get Enel-face.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

She was ugly now she's not.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bisse posted:

I guess that's another reason he sticks out as a villain? He doesn't have a tragic backstory and relatable motives. He's just a big-fish-in-a-small-pond shitbag who thinks he's god. Instead of a shocking history reveal, you get Enel-face.

I'm not sure how that could make him stand out, since most major villains didn't have a tragic backstory at that point and wouldn't for years. Krieg, Crocodile, Moria, Lucci etc had none. There were hints at their past in some cases, like Lucci being a kid inducted because of his skill at kill, but none of them had flashbacks. I don't think that started till after the timeskip. Was Hody the first whose past was explicitly given?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Hody, Doflamingo and Big Mom are the only ones who have had flashbacks but I feel like Hody and Doflamingo's weren't specific to their characters. Hody's informed Jinbe's character too and explained a whole bunch of One Piece history. Doflamingo's was kinda more about Law and Rosinante than Doflamingo.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Cat Machine posted:

. Doflamingo's was kinda more about Law and Rosinante than Doflamingo.

That was mostly Law's flashback.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm pretty sure Moria was the first villain to get some manner of tragic backstory. Then Duval hit. I think Hody is the only Villain to get a flashback history and have it not be tragic in a direct and physical way.

Manatee Cannon posted:

https://youtu.be/DH5TMCR8etc

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the first villain's tragic backstory, was luffy. that's right

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm expecting Crocodile to get a tragic backstory sometime down the time. The way he talks about how soulcrushing the Grand Line is sometimes makes me think he used to have some pretty big dreams that got crushed and made him extremely jaded

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm expecting Crocodile to get a tragic backstory sometime down the time. The way he talks about how soulcrushing the Grand Line is sometimes makes me think he used to have some pretty big dreams that got crushed and made him extremely jaded

He was beat by Whitebeard.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Well yeah, I'm just saying I think there's more to it than that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah the part where Iva turned him from a woman into a man probably duh

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

crocodile went to ivankov so she could be one of whitebeard's sons and whitebeard rejected her oooooooooooh believe it !!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

Not quite, he specifically dreamed of being Pirate King before he got loving ruined by Whitebeard. He was already a Warlord by then and not long after that he was becoming known as the hero of Alabasta.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
The first villain to get a tragic backstory is the Lord of the Coast. He only got to eat one arm.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the secret to shanks becoming a yonko was that instead of splitting his superhuman power between two arms he gave up one and focused everything into the other so that arm became a god arm

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do wonder how Oda will differentiate Kaido's personality from Linlin's. Currently, they seem very similar despite their very different aesthetics.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I do wonder how Oda will differentiate Kaido's personality from Linlin's. Currently, they seem very similar despite their very different aesthetics.

How so?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Childish, hedonistic, near-invulnerable brute powerhouses with serious temper problems. They're at the very least of the same general archetype, and present very similar challenges to our heroes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, I've been wondering about Big Mom's invulnerability considering who is up next, although I'm guessing the solution will be less about brute force in this case. I'm expecting Luffy to hit Kaido with a King Kong Gun and have him not budge a single muscle.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The first serious attack from Kaido is going to be so dope.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im sure most of kaido's major attacks are going to be suicide style

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so is kaido indestructible or is he wolverine

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Probably indestructible imo an I'm guessing his whopper scar predates his indestructibility or is part of one of the losses that made him the way he is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Manatee Cannon posted:

He's almost totally invulnerable, but it turns out rubber is his only weakness. Like throwing lemon jello at a Green Lantern.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

he's gonna wear luffy as a condom while he fucks this gay earth

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lpzie posted:

he's gonna wear luffy as a condom while he fucks this gay earth

Already been done, more or less, in the lead up to Film Z.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
kaido uses the mink ability electro or whatever to restart his heart every time like enel, obviously

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

anime was right posted:

kaido uses the mink ability electro or whatever to restart his heart every time like enel, obviously
it was p. badass when enel did that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It'd be pretty cool if Kaido is one of the most cerebral and level-headed Emperors when he's not on the sauce. The original four at present seem to have been largely a bunch of impulsive meatheads, with no great thinkers amongst them - even Linlin, who seemed to have soft power as her field, seems to be largely the pet superweapon of an oligarchy of much smarter people in this arc.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Dunno if any of you follow Eyepatch Wolf, but he's got a new video out about One Piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtz2ZhKxFE

This was the first one he did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZqnC-eVwrE

They're pretty good, I think. Glad to have something to sate my eternal hunger for One PIece until the new chapter drops, at any rate.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Moltrey posted:

it was p. badass when enel did that

Skypiea was a great arc and Enel's goons were great villains. I don't care if it had too little to do with the main story. Smashing Enel's face to ring the bell was one of the best OP finales to an arc. Also good themes about the Ds are God's Natural Enemy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what if skypiea is an allegory for the wg/lost country or w/e

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/879901532224802816

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oda thinks of puns, then sets a calendar reminder for a decade later.

Then he snoozes it for a couple of years.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

What's the longest Oda's gone before paying off an early hint in the manga? The biggest one I can think of is the gap between the first hint at Sanji's true origins (chapter 68, December 1998) to the reveal he's a Vinsmoke (chapter 812, January 2016). 744 chapters, 18 years.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

check it out. that snarfunkle chapter. oda set up that "oda does it again" tweet FIVE years ago. hat's off, to the master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

What's the longest Oda's gone before paying off an early hint in the manga? The biggest one I can think of is the gap between the first hint at Sanji's true origins (chapter 68, December 1998) to the reveal he's a Vinsmoke (chapter 812, January 2016). 744 chapters, 18 years.

What was the hint? I checked chapter 68 and didn't notice anything.

Speaking of Baratie, this isn't a big reveal or anything but I like how Zeff told Luffy that the Grand Line is also called "Paradise", and 500-odd chapters later we get the context for that name.