Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

It looks like it has pretty good movement? Compared to literally any other comparable game anyway.

Blackout has really solid movement.

DL'ing now. From what I've watched it looks pretty decent. I thought Respawn was going to really put their own spin on it but it just looks like every other BR game. For me it'll boil down to whether or not it's as fun as Blackout. Visually I don't like the new cartoony look, but the environments look much cooler than any their BR game at least so that's a plus. I'll reserve any judgment until I get a few hours with it.

Honestly the lack of everything that made titanfall good is just baffling though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

panda clue posted:

Can you explain why entirely cosmetic loot boxes being used to fund a free game is bad?

By all means, please do explain to us children why lootboxes are, in fact, cool and good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Psychepath posted:

I'm picturing instead of a generic circle closing in, there are natural points of interest around broken down Titans, parts and keys around the map, and the midgame isn't just running to a set point but instead multiple squads grouping to take down those big threats, having risk/reward skirmishes among each other. Might take some balancing, but they could have done a bit of that if they'd had a beta or something instead of a bunch of influencers testing their launch build for a few weeks.

I might be revealing a bit too much info but this is what Battlefield 5's Firestorm has. I mean no Titans, obviously, but there are objectives and points of interest that you should interact with, and you get rewarded.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Blind Duke posted:

Feels like the people in charge of their media team are ignorant of the things their community wants. And/Or us fans are really desperate to grasp at straws.

Probably both.

Now imagine if they didn't say clearly that they weren't working on TF3, they were working on this. Months and months of no info while Respawn is coy about whether or not there is a TF3. Eventually word gets out that there won't be a TF3/Apex Legends is what they were working on, not TF3.

Coming out and saying they weren't working on TF3 is the least bad move that they've done in all of this.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
Game is pretty fun. Slightly more deliberate than CoD and faster than PubG, nice middle ground. Revive mechanics are fun, scooping up your dead teammates and getting to a respawn beacon is cool imo. The streamers who have been playing for months behind the scene have some pretty slick movement, skill ceiling feels like it will be high, less random deaths than something like pubg.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh god another loving lootbox argument incoming. Great. Those are always so fun!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

panda clue posted:

Can you explain why entirely cosmetic loot boxes being used to fund a free game is bad?

I really don't know where this whole "cosmetics don't matter to the game at all and having them being incredibly expensive and locked behind real money is v. good" thing got started but I wish it would stop.

I hope they put higher resolutions and super-sampling and framerates beyond 60 behind a paywall someday so I can proudly yell "it's only cosmetic, it doesn't effect the game, why do you even care about that stuff?" Well because some people do and that's fine! It's not my prerogative to applaud a company soaking certain players based on their likes and dislikes!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why this thread is so negative on the game - watch some high level play on Twitch before you bitch about the movement. I just watched Shroud zipping and flying and sliding all over the drat map, once you get the hang of it you can pull off some insane poo poo.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Because lootboxes are predatory tactics to get people with gambling problems to spend shitloads. Just make cosmetics purchasable for a good price and you don't have an issue. Rewarding to fake currencies you can buy with real money to drop on RNG rewards that are filled with garbage you never want (poses and voice clips, what fun!) is straight up gambling.

Do we know if you can or cannot buy the cosmetics outright? A lot of games, like Path of Exile, has loot boxes with exclusive content that only remains exclusive for 3 months, then you can always buy it outright. Overwatch boxes give you currency that allow you to buy specific things you're interested in without having to spend money.

I really don't buy into the whole 'loot boxes are inherently bad' argument. It can be predatory (and often is, at least in the mobile market), but it has been done well in the past.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I really don't know where this whole "cosmetics don't matter to the game at all and having them being incredibly expensive and locked behind real money is v. good" thing got started but I wish it would stop.

If the game is Literally Free and aforementioned cosmetics are what allow people to play the game for free, then yes it is very good. Those systems existing in games that come with a box cost/subscription is another matter entirely.

Kai Tave posted:

By all means, please do explain to us children why lootboxes are, in fact, cool and good.

See above.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 5, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bardeh posted:

I'm not sure why this thread is so negative on the game - watch some high level play on Twitch before you bitch about the movement. I just watched Shroud zipping and flying and sliding all over the drat map, once you get the hang of it you can pull off some insane poo poo.

It's probably because TF2 looked like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBAUsojgy6k&t=46s

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Bardeh posted:

Zipping around every 12 seconds while you wait for your grappling hook to recharge and having to wait 5 seconds after sprinting to be able to slide 5 feet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

panda clue posted:

If the game is Literally Free and aforementioned cosmetics are what allow people to play the game for free, then yes it is very good. Those systems existing in games that come with a box cost/subscription is another matter entirely.

It will always be gambling and the game will always be designed around pummelling your psyche to get you to buy it.

Selling cosmetics in a free game isn't the worst thing, but loot boxes are a truly scummy way to do it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
It's pretty obvious that while it's still in the TF universe they're trying to make it a separate thing, what with there not being a big "TITANFALL" anywhere in the title. Whether that's because this is what they really wanted to make or because EA will break their legs unless they pumped this out, the effect is the same.

I loveTtitanfall 2 as much as anyone but complaining that this isn't that and you want more Titanfall 2 and the game is ded is some "gamers rise up" poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm imagining this with TF2 movement and now I'm sad. Without that it's literally just another bog standard BR game but with a couple of abilities.

This could be more fun to play.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

please stop posting about lootboxes

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Oh god another loving lootbox argument incoming. Great. Those are always so fun!

Lootbox arguments are like lootboxes. I try to get into as many as I can and see what fun stuff is inside :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Stan Taylor posted:

I loveTtitanfall 2 as much as anyone but complaining that this isn't that and you want more Titanfall 2 and the game is ded is some "gamers rise up" poo poo.

They literally said they made this instead of Titanfall 3, how is this "gamers rise up" poo poo? Nobody is saying we're boycotting or anything it's just a bummer.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They literally said they made this instead of Titanfall 3, how the gently caress is this "gamers rise up" poo poo? Nobody is saying we're boycotting or anything it's just a bummer.

Being frustrated and disappointed is severely illegal, these dead forums are no place for it

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Honestly, it was probably either this game (Apex) gets made, or nothing gets made. I seriously doubt that the passion people at Respawn were super enthusiastic to drop their dream franchise for the sake of pumping out a BR game as fast as possible. I could be wrong, but I would not at all be surprised to find out that they had to do this to keep their company afloat.

People ITT really should be rooting for this game, because if it does well it means Respawn might have the capital to actually make TF3. Given the sales of 1 and 2, I honestly never expected 3 would be a thing that would actually happen. This gives me a shred of hope.

Some of yall are trying to make it out like Respawn just wanted to give the middle finger to all of their fans for literally no reason, which honestly doesn't make much sense to me.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Just know that I've reported you to the authorities and I hope you enjoy you're ban.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

panda clue posted:

Do we know if you can or cannot buy the cosmetics outright?
Player Spending Guiding Principles for Apex Legends

quote:

Principle #5: Players have agency in choosing how to acquire cosmetics. Do you like knowing exactly what you’re going to get when you spend money? The Rotating Shop is for you. Do you prefer getting a ton of content at once, but don’t mind which character it’s for or what category type it is? Apex Packs are for you. Want to get exclusive seasonal content through gameplay? Battle Pass is for you (coming in Season 1). Want to earn cosmetics? Score rewards as you level up.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
i have never played a titanfall game before but apex legends is alright

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

panda clue posted:

Honestly, it was probably either this game (Apex) gets made, or nothing gets made. I seriously doubt that the passion people at Respawn were super enthusiastic to drop their dream franchise for the sake of pumping out a BR game as fast as possible. I could be wrong, but I would not at all be surprised to find out that they had to do this to keep their company afloat.

People ITT really should be rooting for this game, because if it does well it means Respawn might have the capital to actually make TF3. Given the sales of 1 and 2, I honestly never expected 3 would be a thing that would actually happen. This gives me a shred of hope.

Some of yall are trying to make it out like Respawn just wanted to give the middle finger to all of their fans for literally no reason, which honestly doesn't make much sense to me.

Apex being successful would in all likelihood just mean more Apex stuff. EA isn't exactly big on giving anything that wasn't initially wildly successful second chances. I think TF is done at this point regardless of how Apex pans out, unfortunately.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

panda clue posted:

I agree with this.

I can also understand the disappointment from TF fans though. Luckily I like BR anyways so I'm still looking forward to this.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Fortnite battlepass is honestly fantastic and if they copy that verbatim it would be great. You spend $15~ and you get a fuckload of awesome cosmetics just for playing the game. You also get enough 'real money' points from the pack to buy the next season pass for free as well, for forever, so you never have to shell out again after that if you don't want to.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I could understand all the bitching if this game was called Titanfall 3 but it's not. It's a different game. After TF2 bombed it's pretty understandable that Respawn followed the money, and they've come up with a very polished take on the BR genre that I think seems like it might be pretty fun. It'll probably make them a ton of money and maybe they'll use that for TF3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Titanfall 3 and Respawn are dead. Either Apex Legends crashes and burns and EA shoots the studio for failing them within the year (probable),or it anyone with an ounce of sense bails on the studio and it plods along in name only.

Either way, Respawn as you know it is done. Long-term service games and MMO's are the kiss of death to a small studio, nevermind EA-mandated ones.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Yes I'm sure if this Battle Royale game does well I'm sure EA will be reasonable enough to let Respawn spend the millions of dollars in resources to make a Titanfall 3 with a singleplayer campaign that on average 25% of it's playerbase will finish.

:shepicide:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

2019: We should trust EA to monetize lootboxes responsibly. Also, cosmetics aren't real microtransactions.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bardeh posted:

I could understand all the bitching if this game was called Titanfall 3 but it's not. It's a different game. After TF2 bombed it's pretty understandable that Respawn followed the money, and they've come up with a very polished take on the BR genre that I think seems like it might be pretty fun. It'll probably make them a ton of money and maybe they'll use that for TF3.

As someone who wanted more games with movement mechanics similar to Titanfall, I am disappointed that the developers of Titanfall took Titanfall, ripped out the fun movement mechanics, and made a new game out of it. If I were an EA shareholder or something then sure, from a business standpoint it makes sense (assuming it ends up being successful), but since I'm not I'm disappointed.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They should've bundled in TF2 with this so this isn't a pure BR lootbox experience.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
From watching people play it for a while - it looks really good.

It may not be titanfall 2, but the movement options you do have in it are good and pretty balanced so far. The character roles also seem very distinct and Overwatch-y without being terribly unbalanced. (No one's discovered broken strats as of yet, anyway.)

One of the better features in it is the really wide window of opportunity to revive dead teammates - if you grab their badge off their corpse within 90 seconds you can get them back at a respawn station where you have to wait out a tense full minute for them to drop back in. It's a great way to give 'broken squads' a better shot at the endgame, which is an issue in BR squad games.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 5, 2019

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Argas posted:

They should've bundled in TF2 with this so this isn't a pure BR lootbox experience.

They unironically might (and hopefully will) push people to play/buy TF2 with Apex. I can see the Battlepass giving you TF2 for free, for instance.

Just getting people to install Origin is half the battle, so this will undoubtedly lead to better playercounts on TF2 due to that if nothing else.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So having now played a few rounds, and got my first win, and I will say now that this does feel like a fairly well polished fun Battle Royale Game. I am still really sad that its not got proper Titanfall movement but I could definitely see myself playing this over PUBG or anything else. I will be watching eagerly to see if the big streamers can drum up enough hype to get my regular gaming group interested enough to actually play the thing. The gunplay is as good as you would expect, I just wish that the looting was a bit smoother.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
They will also probably add a character who's entire gimmick is they have the Titanfall movement just to gently caress with yall.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

panda clue posted:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the decision to make this game was made by EA and not Respawn.

Spacedad posted:

The character roles also seem very distinct and Overwatch-y without being terribly unbalanced. (No one's discovered broken strats as of yet, anyway.)

The game still smells of placenta, give it time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that the decision to make this game was made by EA and not Respawn.

Um yeah... EA hasn't been associated with a game the dev actually wanted to make since Unravelled.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well DICE supposedly wanted to make a WW2 Battlefield game where you could be a woman and also they focused on lesser-known battles and so far the response has largely been "where's Stalingrad/Wake Island/Normandy???? And this isn't like the WW2 I know!!!!" so let's not pin all the blame on EA (just around 90% as the game was/is basically an Early Access title under the guise of Live Services)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Game fun in a team.