Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I got some Steambux for my birthday so I was able to get AE, so it's all good now. I'm going to install mods myself with MO rather than use Wabbajack. What is everyone's "must have" mods these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ThaumPenguin posted:

Putting Pelinal's crusader gear on display in the museum foyer, knowing that the Thalmor embassy is directly outside of town and that they're certainly 100% aware of what I'm up to, is one of the conceptually funniest things my Dragonborn ever did.

so auryen is doing the equivalent of holocaust museum curator?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ysgramor's axe and armor is displayed on the near-opposite foyer wall, so yeah sure

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I've got the original version and expansions. Is it worth it to upgrade to SSE or w/e

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if you purchased it on steam then your game is updated to version 1.6

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
That’s only true if they had SE. If you’re on legendary edition, then yes, I’d say the upgrade to special edition is worth it. It’s more stable, and most mods are for it, some of them exclusively. “Anniversary edition”, for purchasing, is just creation club stuff in addition to special edition and may not be worth it. For modding, you will want the anniversary edition of mods even if you only buy special edition - there was a free update that hit when they released AE, and mods refer to that version as AE regardless of whether you bought the creation club stuff. The only way to get pre-AE versions of SE now is to do complicated things with steam and command lines, download a downgrader/best of both worlds thing, or maybe something with other platforms than steam, idk about them.

TL;DR: Yes, Special Edition is worth it. Anniversary Edition, maybe not.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

NiftyBottle posted:

That’s only true if they had SE. If you’re on legendary edition, then yes, I’d say the upgrade to special edition is worth it. It’s more stable, and most mods are for it, some of them exclusively. “Anniversary edition”, for purchasing, is just creation club stuff in addition to special edition and may not be worth it. For modding, you will want the anniversary edition of mods even if you only buy special edition - there was a free update that hit when they released AE, and mods refer to that version as AE regardless of whether you bought the creation club stuff. The only way to get pre-AE versions of SE now is to do complicated things with steam and command lines, download a downgrader/best of both worlds thing, or maybe something with other platforms than steam, idk about them.

TL;DR: Yes, Special Edition is worth it. Anniversary Edition, maybe not.

this is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/86492

wow, parallax working without enb.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Doodlum has been doing some motherfucking magic. They're also working on image based lighting and unlimited shadows.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I should probably switch from ENB to Community Shaders at some point, but it would mean going through my mod list and finding out what requires ENB and then what is dependent on that and it sounds like a lot of work.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Flowing Thot posted:

I should probably switch from ENB to Community Shaders at some point, but it would mean going through my mod list and finding out what requires ENB and then what is dependent on that and it sounds like a lot of work.

Skyrim Modding: it sounds like a lot of work.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Flowing Thot posted:

it took about 10 minutes for me to actually make the switch but I do have a large and well organized modlist. It mostly works with disabling mods like enb helpers and the like so you can just boot the game. If you manage to reach the main menu without crashing then you can start replacing enb stuff with Community Shaders.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I started modding this game after a two year break and after a week and change I'm still trying to get things juuuuuuust right before I kill my first dragon

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
oh brother is it worth it. My current modlist has 937 plugins and I finally got around to killing the Dovahkiin Nooo dragon.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Started Enderal for the first time in earnest and it's really good so far. Start is kind of slow but once you get to the first town it starts to pick up. Kind of don't like how the map is designed compared to Skyrim as it seems kind of claustrophobic compared to Skyrim's wide open spaces which I love. Using The Path modlist which is basically just graphics from what I can tell. Just did a quest last night where a dude got gibbed by a god? That was pretty neat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just spent a bit of time trying to get a game of Skyrim SE going. I don't have the AE and several mods I wanted to use say they aren't for AE anyway, so I tried to get a version of the Unofficial Patch that would specifically work for SE. However, now that I've gotten things going it seems that my version of the Unofficial Patch has translated half the text into Russian.

Arthmoor has a blog saying that it doesn't really matter if something is AE or SE just update everything for the latest version anyway but he's kind of a twat so I'm hesitant to just trust him blindly.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Has anyone been able to get this to work? I've installed it (and the two patches) and I don't notice a difference. Is there something else I need to do?

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
AE just means that you've got a big pile of creation club content, which means it's just a bunch of mods that that Bethesda repackaged and sold for $20. It's presence has no bearing on other mods unless those mods specifically depend on or change any AE content.

Skyrim SE is what matters most for mod compatibility. Beyond being a package deal of the Skyrim+DLC, the engine was tweaked and is overall more stable and has better performance than the original release.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

With the release of OAR I cannot think of any real reason to not be on the latest patch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well that's good to know.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Flowing Thot posted:

With the release of OAR I cannot think of any real reason to not be on the latest patch.

.net framework

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flowing Thot posted:

If I understand right, stuff like mods that change meshes to take advantage of ENB stuff should be fine to leave in. Some of that may even work with Community Shaders, at least once they get the features in.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

I just spent a bit of time trying to get a game of Skyrim SE going. I don't have the AE and several mods I wanted to use say they aren't for AE anyway, so I tried to get a version of the Unofficial Patch that would specifically work for SE. However, now that I've gotten things going it seems that my version of the Unofficial Patch has translated half the text into Russian.

Arthmoor has a blog saying that it doesn't really matter if something is AE or SE just update everything for the latest version anyway but he's kind of a twat so I'm hesitant to just trust him blindly.

He made the latest versions of the Unofficial Patch incompatible - or it was a year ago. There are links to the compatible versions in my post history of in this reddit post I made, since that's a lot easier to find: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/y1ac16/using_16_ae_and_cc_content_with_1597_common/

It's been a year+ since I touched Skyrim, though.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Flowing Thot posted:

What's OAR?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Open Animation Replacer. An open source replacement to Dynamic Animation Replacer.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

bro... are you rocking that OAR + AMR + EVG + HDT SMP? mad respect

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its a funny bit but this needs the COCKS and BOOBIES mods too.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
So the creator of Septimus rebooted it some time ago and now the new version 1 has had months of updates - has anyone tried it? Is it any good? I still have the old Septimus 3 installed and am hesitant to get the new one all set up without someone's take on it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
IIRC the major difference is they took out all the Legacy of the Dragonborn stuff, so if that's a deal breaker you're better off sticking with 3.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I've got Thunderchild downloaded and it seems like every single animal that Kyne wants me to kill is a rabbit or a deer or something totally innocuous and I'm like, "kyne I'm not killing a loving goat it's just chillin what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

The problem with the deer is we killed off all their natural predators (dragons) and now they are breeding out of control and destroying the forests. Kyne knows what's up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flowing Thot posted:

The problem with the deer is we killed off all their natural predators (dragons) and now they are breeding out of control and destroying the forests. Kyne knows what's up.

This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q
but dragons would be a cool concept for something (game, movie, book?), but since the main plot of the game is re-extinctioning dragons I don't think it fits Skyrim.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Rainbow Knight posted:

I've got Thunderchild downloaded and it seems like every single animal that Kyne wants me to kill is a rabbit or a deer or something totally innocuous and I'm like, "kyne I'm not killing a loving goat it's just chillin what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

My brother got AE and we share steam, so now I have a ton of DLC. One of them is Skyrim Pets, which has some animal follower dealios. I’ve also got Mannaz, and am playing a Wood Elf, so a bird marks animals/enemies to kill for extra loot. The pets … are not excluded. So my pet skeever is just constantly glowing green, and if I could kill it (it’s immortal) I guess it would drop extra loot. Thanks?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Mad Wack posted:

So the creator of Septimus rebooted it some time ago and now the new version 1 has had months of updates - has anyone tried it? Is it any good? I still have the old Septimus 3 installed and am hesitant to get the new one all set up without someone's take on it.

I played a version a couple months ago and just started again with the new update. I can't compare it to the pre-AE versions because I didn't play them, but it runs well and is only like 50gb.

It does a good job of enhancing the vanilla skyrim look and feel and doesn't have bandits that one shot you with power attacks. It has a decent amount of new quests, lucien and corgi followers, simonrim with daruni spells, and an okay variety of new armors. Haven't run into anything weird.

I was able to add in some extra mods (Dear Diary Dark Mode and QoL stuff) without too much trouble.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Decided to swap to Community Shaders because gently caress Boris and trying to load my save results in a CTD, but a new game works fine. I can't believe I'm starting again gently caress my life.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

enb only has parallax in SE because I did it first and forced boris's hand

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Community Shaders makes it so my FPS isn't total dogshit and I don't get stutters anymore completely worth starting a new game.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
https://imgur.com/a/doCyGnR

Looking at the comments on the community shaders page and hoo boy Boris (ENB creator) is having an absolutely normal one

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Let us talk as men do about the way you totally stole my idea for 'make old video game prettier'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
My copyright is being violated on grass moving