Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'll likely spend the Lobi mostly on the traits in the store to spread things like Boimler effect around my alts. This plus the 1500 from the event campaign would be a lot of copies of that. Might pick up one or two ships when they do a Lobi sale, but its always tough picking out what alt to put character unlock ships on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I have plans for the t6 coupons and the lockbox token from the meta this year (big thing is I'm picking up either the Seneca or Valdres to unlock valkyrie fighters, which are apparently very strong,
You'd be a lot better off grabbing the Ahwahnee if you don't have it. Its Type 7 shuttles have obsoleted pretty much every other fighter in the game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

g0del posted:

You'd be a lot better off grabbing the Ahwahnee if you don't have it. Its Type 7 shuttles have obsoleted pretty much every other fighter in the game.

Yeah if you don't have SAD pretty much nothing beats the multiplicative effect of the Type 7s, and even then, SAD only makes them stronger. Though you could probably get some fun out of combining the Type 7s and the Valks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Event complete. Full stats on the goodies for those who care.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Red alert next week for the usual rewards.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Huh, the event reward AP beam can be used on a ship with another Omni beam already. Did they remove that restriction on Omni beams or is it just bugged and I should not invest in upgrading it?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

OGS-Remix posted:

Huh, the event reward AP beam can be used on a ship with another Omni beam already. Did they remove that restriction on Omni beams or is it just bugged and I should not invest in upgrading it?

It’s not a set omni, it’s just a regular omni. Unless you mean you’re now capable of fitting 3 omnis?

Anyway, I’d upgrade it regardless; it’s a decent weapon with a reasonable proc and a very good base dps, and it looks cool.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Preechr posted:

It’s not a set omni, it’s just a regular omni. Unless you mean you’re now capable of fitting 3 omnis?

Anyway, I’d upgrade it regardless; it’s a decent weapon with a reasonable proc and a very good base dps, and it looks cool.

I thought you could only put 1 Omni beam on a ship as a hard rule. I didn't realize there was a difference between Set Omni's and normal ones.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

OGS-Remix posted:

I thought you could only put 1 Omni beam on a ship as a hard rule. I didn't realize there was a difference between Set Omni's and normal ones.

Yep! 1 set, 1 non-set.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

used to be you could do 3 by having a mk infinity set, an upgraded set, and a normal, but then the devs promised it was WAI and you'd still be able to do it, and patched it the next week so you couldn't

Preechr
May 19, 2009

I still have a ship in my dockyard that has every weapon slot set as an omni. I’m pretty sure the second I activate it all the weapons will dump into the overflow bag.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It's a shame they won't just let you use as many omnis as you want. It's not like FAW is that good.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It would be totally unbalanced, and as we all know Cryptic takes great pains to keep the game as tightly run and as well-tuned as it is, where every trait is valuable and all the trap options in a build have long since been smoothed out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Simply, cryptic wants positioning and steering and moving to be part of the game. (Yeah you can make an omnidirectional damage build with turrets but it won't be very good.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah and the answer I got once was "If we made omnis unrestricted, they'd be nerfed to do turret damage."

I suppose they could remove the equip limit but restrict them to aft slots only, that might help the fatter, slower cruisers a little.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Starting Thursday, free Resolute claimable for two weeks

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11569097

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah and the answer I got once was "If we made omnis unrestricted, they'd be nerfed to do turret damage."
To which of course the answer is, "yes, and?"

The only thing I can assume is that Cryptic just really hates the idea of people using dual beam banks or something.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

g0del posted:

Wow. Attack Pattern Beta on a pet? The last time that was about was the Tholian Lockbox ships. Now for everyone and another resist debuff on top. I'm old, and times change. For the better, I guess?

I wonder what's better-two Romulan Drones, or a Drone and these fighters?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

Wow. Attack Pattern Beta on a pet? The last time that was about was the Tholian Lockbox ships. Now for everyone and another resist debuff on top. I'm old, and times change. For the better, I guess?

I wonder what's better-two Romulan Drones, or a Drone and these fighters?
Depends on how you want to do DPS. The Type 7s do barely any DPS themselves, they just provide a ton of debuff (especially the elite version). If you specifically care about your pets doing the DPS, the drones will be better (or to'duj fighters with SAD, or any of the other standard pet picks). But if all you care about is the total DPS you're doing, it is always better to run Type 7s and then do the damage yourself while they debuff everything around them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Simply, cryptic wants positioning and steering and moving to be part of the game. (Yeah you can make an omnidirectional damage build with turrets but it won't be very good.)

Yes, Cryptic wants you to broadside in cruisers built for beam spam even though every cruiser in the history of Star Trek has been portrayed preferentially engaging from the forward quadrant with beams and torpedoes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

McSpanky posted:

Yes, Cryptic wants you to broadside in cruisers built for beam spam even though every cruiser in the history of Star Trek has been portrayed preferentially engaging from the forward quadrant with beams and torpedoes.

It makes sense from a game design standpoint, otherwise there is functionally no reason to choose a cruiser over a tac ship.

Now, could space combat in general have been done better? Sure, absolutely. But at that point we're really designing a new game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That came off a little more sarcastic than I intended, I long ago made peace with it and beam boats are plenty fun, it was just always a tad amusing to me. Besides, if you want maximum canon and drat the consequences there's always DBBs.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

According to this post, this event's Epic Phoenix token is for every character on your account, forever. It can't be downgraded for upgrades or anything, but that's effectively an account unlock Phoenix ship. Or just grabbing whatever you want to enable a build or for space barbie.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Unfortunately the inability to use the token for anything but a ship renders it worthless to losers like me who did the events for all of them

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Unfortunately the inability to use the token for anything but a ship renders it worthless to losers like me who did the events for all of them

Hopefully they'll realize that and let you turn it into something else like a T6-X, since you can do that with enough of the lower ones during phoenix events.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. I recall hearing that the Krenim Science Vessel's console was really good, and I'm leaning towards that for looks anyway as my go-to.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

Hopefully they'll realize that and let you turn it into something else like a T6-X, since you can do that with enough of the lower ones during phoenix events.

I think there's a chance they might add something unique to that tier, but I figure it would have to be something that has no value to character-farmers, like maybe a vanity shield

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Unrelated, folks may be coming up on finishing the meta event within the next month or two, so since there's been a fair number of new players chatting here and in the game, I thought I'd toss out some advice for what to consider spending your t6 coupons, freebie token, and epic phoenix prize on. My knowledge of the current meta isn't the most up to date, but I hope this is helpful.

Z-Store Coupons

Morrigu Heavy Warbird, Arbiter Battlecruiser, Kurak Battlecruiser - Unlocks the starship trait Emergency Weapon Cycle, probably the single most powerful starship trait in the game, or at least the one most readily available.

Cardassian Ghemor Flight Deck Cruiser - Unlocks the starship trait Calm Before the Storm, another powerful choice.

Narendra Support Cruiser, Vor'al Support Battlecruiser - Unlocks the starship trait History Will Remember, another powerful choice.

Ahwahnee Command Carrier - Unlocks a very powerful hangar pet for buffing your dps.

Gagarin Miracle Worker Battlecruiser, Qugh Miracle Worker Battlecruiser - If you're new, the trait on these ships won't concern you much (but it is very powerful for more advanced builds), but these are two very strong newbie-friendly ships to fly on rate.

Somerville Intel Science Vessel/Balth Intel Science Vessel - Unlocks the starship trait Spore-Infused Anomalies, which is important for scihole builds (which I don't recommend for new players).

Phoenix Token

Denorios Bajoran Interceptor - One of the easiest types of build to create relies on phasers for damage, and the Interceptor's console is one of the best in the game for phaser builds.

Krenim Science Vessel - If you have an interest in science builds, the console with this ship is (or at least used to be) meta for such builds.

Ship Token

Atlas Prototype Dreadnought Cruiser - Has a very powerful console for all builds.

Deimos Pilot Destroyer - If you want to run phasers, the console here is meta.

Gorn Hunter Pilot Raider - If you want to run plasma, the starship trait here is meta.

World Razer Temporal Ops Juggernaut - If you're a weirdo who thinks the Galaxy class looks good (and there are plenty of you), this is the one legitimately good Galaxy class in the game.

Terran Acheron Dreadnought Cruiser - Very powerful hangar pets and none too shabby in itself.

Xindi-Primate Ateleth Dreadnought Cruiser - If you're running beam overload, probably the simplest and easiest endgame build to develop, the mastery trait here is very powerful.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 26, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

- If you're a weirdo who thinks the Galaxy class looks good (and there are plenty of you),

:mods:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ssshhhh. Let the gentle truth that TNG mostly showed it from the one and only angle it looks good from wash over you. You'll be stronger for realizing it's an awkwardly proportioned, top-heavy boondoggle and is the worst-looking Enterprise in Star Trek history.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

World Razer Temporal Ops Juggernaut - If you're a weirdo who thinks the Galaxy class looks good (and there are plenty of you), this is the one legitimately good Galaxy class in the game.

It's true that the World Razor is very powerful, but if all you (that is, someone who really likes the Galaxy) want is looks, the Terran Cygnus is a solid choice, compared to any of the others.

Cythereal posted:

Xindi-Primate Ateleth Dreadnought Cruiser - If you're running beam overload, probably the simplest and easiest endgame build to develop, the mastery trait here is very powerful.

Actually a Lobi ship, not a lockbox/promo ship, so it's a lot easier to get (300-400 million EC), and we have a nice bundle of Lobi from the coming event too. But never spend Lobi if there's isn't a sale.

To state some of my own suggestions (Cyth made a lot of excellent ones for new players, I have a few for those who are a bit above that, plus my own preferences)-

T6 Ship Coupons
Terran Lexington Dreadnought- A very well-made all-around ship, the trait is only okay, but it's a very well balanced ship and the Phaser Lance is pretty satisfying to use.

Terran Hydra Intel Destroyer- A very powerful ship for using Surgical Strikes, and it comes with a train and console that are very good for pet builds, if you're into that.

Bozeman Intel Heavy Frigate- Frigates are very flexible, and this one comes with a very powerful console that can just delete shields for a group of enemies.

Atlantis Temporal Destroyer- A little bit fragile, but a very powerful platform with good seating, a good trait and a fun console.

Phoenix Tokens
Ferengi Nandi Warship- Maybe not the best looking, but it is in the unique position of being one of two ships in the game that can seat 6 bridge officers.

Lukari Ho'kuun Science Vessel- The Dorito of Death, a small science ship that comes with a powerful defensive console.

Promo Ship Token
Sh'vahl Temporal Science Spearhead- One of two Vulcan ships in the game, the Sh'vahl is a beautiful ship, and no slouch when it comes to space magic.

Excelsior II Intel Heavy Cruiser- For when you want to fire ALL THE BEAMS.

Crossfield Science Spearhead Refit- Yeah it's got the floating nacelles, it also has a very meta trait attached to it.

Lobi store-
It's not just for ships!

Son'a Intel Battlecruiser- An OK ship, but the trait is a must for high-end Torpedo use.

Maquis Raider- Cute little ship, and comes with the console that generates the huge plasma cyclones you see in the badlands.

Tholian Iktomi- A decent Science ship, but the real treat is the trait, Improved Photonic Officer.

The Boimler Effect- A Space Trait that gives a huge boost to Bridge Officer Cooldowns and doesn't take one of your starship trait slots.

Portable Phaser Cannon Special Issue- A fun and powerful ground weapon.

Phaser Full Auto Rifle (Dsc)- For some reason, the DSC tag makes this rifle stupidly powerful.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Ssshhhh. Let the gentle truth that TNG mostly showed it from the one and only angle it looks good from wash over you. You'll be stronger for realizing it's an awkwardly proportioned, top-heavy boondoggle and is the worst-looking Enterprise in Star Trek history.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

You're talking about a man who almost doomed the Federation because he never got his balls checked post-Borg for whether his sperm was assimilated.

Suit yourself, I suppose.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

You're talking about a man who almost doomed the Federation because he never got his balls checked post-Borg for whether his sperm was assimilated.

Suit yourself, I suppose.

I mean if we're going to talk about modern Trek writing I'll never not point out that the entire Federation collapses because an emo space cow got too sad.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean if we're going to talk about modern Trek writing I'll never not point out that the entire Federation collapses because an emo space cow got too sad.

And yet somehow the Romulans didn’t take over everything even though their method of space magic didn’t rely on space cow feelings…

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Preechr posted:

And yet somehow the Romulans didn’t take over everything even though their method of space magic didn’t rely on space cow feelings…

I'm pretty sure the Borg wouldn't have been impacted either.

Which, OK, we can kind of assume that maybe the borg are pretty hosed up post-Janeway and Picard. But christ, if every spacefaring empire that depended on dilithium is all of a sudden in the stone age relatively speaking? If nothing else I'd expect some random little offshoot of OG borg tucked off in a corner someplace to metastasize into a quadrant-spanning threat.

gently caress, now that I really think about it, why wouldn't the federation have simply adopted the romulan tech? you loving know that between TOS and VOY they've captured, stolen, or otherwise acquired at least a few Romulan ships, so the tech probably isn't totally impenetrable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Preechr posted:

The Romulans have been part of the Federation for centuries, they probably just ended up using mostly Fed-standard tech after a while.

(Why nobody adapted singularity cores post-burn we have no explanation)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Was the federation flavor of transwarp that debuted with the original Excelsior classes dependent on dilithium? I'm pretty sure they had a normal warp drive in there too (maybe?) but it also seems like an option that they could have dusted off.

gently caress, barring that you goddamn know someone in Section 31 at the very least would dust off some old files labeled "stupid magic mushroom enslaved space tardigrade warp tech do not open."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, quantum slipstream, which they outright mention in Discovery with a smuggler who then just goes "Oh but I don't have the exotic mineral it takes to run."

Like everything about Discovery's setting and world-building, it was stupid bullshit so they could kludge their Expanse wannabe show into the Trek brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Was the federation flavor of transwarp that debuted with the original Excelsior classes dependent on dilithium? I'm pretty sure they had a normal warp drive in there too (maybe?) but it also seems like an option that they could have dusted off.

gently caress, barring that you goddamn know someone in Section 31 at the very least would dust off some old files labeled "stupid magic mushroom enslaved space tardigrade warp tech do not open."

The stupid thing is that warp drive doesn't need dilithium at all! It's just used to regulate the Matter-Antimatter reaction. Find a different power source and you can warp just fine, but perhaps more slowly.