Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

in class the other day i was talking with a student about pet toys and discussing material selection. i said that a rubber toy could potentially be made of silicone. image searched "silicone dog toys" to look for examples.

don't do that.

funy tech poo poo: bad dragon really does have great SEO, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

in class the other day i was talking with a student about pet toys and discussing material selection. i said that a rubber toy could potentially be made of silicone. image searched "silicone dog toys" to look for examples.

don't do that.

i did an aliexpress search for "dog toys" because the last time i did (years ago) basically the same thing happened, but they seem to have actually improved their search engine instead of making it worse??? how bizarre

anyway that led to finding this

lmao

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Beeftweeter posted:

i did an aliexpress search for "dog toys" because the last time i did (years ago) basically the same thing happened, but they seem to have actually improved their search engine instead of making it worse??? how bizarre

anyway that led to finding this

lmao

perfect to take to your poker game evenings

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

at least they brought back the turtle.

hell yes

big fan of dancing blob too

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

hell yes

big fan of dancing blob too

absolutely my favorite. it has so much personality compared to the boring garbage that replaced it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Leck posted:

absolutely my favorite. it has so much personality compared to the boring garbage that replaced it.

There were accessibility concerns, AIUI, but goddamn were the flour sack emojis charming and expressive, compared to the soulless identical circles we have now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
surprised Google could come up with something like that in the first place tbh

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

those on demand greeting card printing appliances in department stores

i can't find any reference to them now, but i distinctly remember them being very plotter-like and fun to watch

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
poo poo, i remember those too now. drat

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

outhole surfer posted:

i can't find any reference to them now, but i distinctly remember them being very plotter-like and fun to watch
This reminds me of when I first saw recordable greeting cards show up in drugstores and the like, I wanna say in like the (very) late 90s? Is that right, or is my memory faulting hard and giving back garbled nonsense...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

outhole surfer posted:

Similar thing with custom dog tags, but luckily petco still has those.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The metaverse

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

other people posted:

The metaverse

not ringing any bells

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

outhole surfer posted:

american greetings create-a-card machines

they were neat to watch, but there seems to be almost no information, photos, or video of them on the modern internet.

e: the only existing picture seems to be of a forgotten one in an abandoned mall:

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 19, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

they were neat to watch, but there seems to be almost no information, photos, or video of them on the modern internet.

e: the only existing picture seems to be of a forgotten one in an abandoned mall:

tbh i don't remember these at all, and i spent a lot of time in the mid-late-90s to early aughts in malls, lol

maybe they just didn't have them around where i lived

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

iirc, they were around for roughly a year, then disappeared as quickly as they manifested

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The_Franz posted:

iirc, they were around for roughly a year, then disappeared as quickly as they manifested

there was a similar make your own business cards machine next to the one i remember in the corner of a food court. mid 90s.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
fairly recently (2018ish i guess, up until covid hit) there was a little stall in my apartment building's passthrough to fulton mall that let you make your own customized pop-out cards (think of a kid's pop-out book, just way more complex)

they were extremely intricate and really cool, but also like $40+ lol. still, they seemed to do pretty good business, the stall was always pretty busy. it wasn't mechanized though, someone at the stall would make them by hand

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

card machines were early 90s. maybe 93?

they were plotters with swappable colors iirc. i dont think they worked with bitmaps, but more likely gcode as the plotter 'drew' your card

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the game Myth that released with a directory path bug where it would delete your c drive when you uninstalled the game

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the game Myth that released with a directory path bug where it would delete your c drive when you uninstalled the game

iirc that was only if you installed it at the root level of your drive, and what kind of weirdo does that

(also myth was and still is one of my favorite games. i was a beta tester for 1 and 2, and admin on bungie.net for a bit. there are updates for it so you can run it on modern systems https://projectmagma.net/downloads/ )

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

steam used to delete your home directory on linux

https://github.com/valvesoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/3671

bug report by a banned yosposer

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

CASUALTY

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

iirc that was only if you installed it at the root level of your drive, and what kind of weirdo does that

(also myth was and still is one of my favorite games. i was a beta tester for 1 and 2, and admin on bungie.net for a bit. there are updates for it so you can run it on modern systems https://projectmagma.net/downloads/ )

:eyepop: can this run on steam deck?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Elder Postsman posted:

Myst would never do that. Stop saying this.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

also i thought it was myth 2 that did the bug and instead of just doing a fast patch bungie actually had the discs recalled and replaced entirely

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

yeah it was myth 2 iirc

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beve Stuscemi posted:

:eyepop: can this run on steam deck?

there is a linux version so probably. you'd need the myth 2 iso which is probably available from several sources

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

all sorts of old games used to dump themselves in C:\ or whatever

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

all sorts of old games used to dump themselves in C:\ or whatever

well i never did that, i had a macintosh and put everything in Macintosh HD:Games

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Elder Postsman posted:

there is a linux version so probably. you'd need the myth 2 iso which is probably available from several sources

its on archive.org iirc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

well i never did that, i had a macintosh and put everything in Macintosh HD:Games

ah, well, old dos games used to do it as a matter of course

e.g. wolf3d would install to C:\WOLF3D, rise of the triad to C:\ROTT etc.

probably because with dos you don't really know if something's going on a floppy or hdd, and around that time windows was just a fancy dos shell that not everyone used. it wasn't until win95 at the very least that they started not doing that

e: actually i'm pretty sure i even remember "doom for windows 95" installing to C:\DOOM95, although that might've been "final doom"? idr exactly, i think they even came out around the same time lol

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 19, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Carthag Tuek posted:

its on archive.org iirc

everything is on archive.org lol

here's a linux-specific iso even https://archive.org/details/myth2linux

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The_Franz posted:

I remember these!

Beeftweeter posted:

tbh i don't remember these at all, and i spent a lot of time in the mid-late-90s to early aughts in malls, lol

maybe they just didn't have them around where i lived

I feel like they lingered longer in the malls by me because american greetings is headquartered in cleveland, so maybe a test market with a long tail decom?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

:filez: :mods:

i should grab mechcommander 2 again sometime but god drat i'm sure it's a pain to get running on a modern system

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

:filez: :mods:

i should grab mechcommander 2 again sometime but god drat i'm sure it's a pain to get running on a modern system

someone has done the work to get a beloved game working on modern boxes, you can probably find instructions if not a prebaked installer.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

outhole surfer posted:

card machines were early 90s. maybe 93?

they were plotters with swappable colors iirc. i dont think they worked with bitmaps, but more likely gcode as the plotter 'drew' your card

i want to say 1994, because my mom's friend, who was born in 1944, had a 50th birthday, and my brother and i were playing with the machine in the store while she was picking out a real card for her

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

ah, well, old dos games used to do it as a matter of course

e.g. wolf3d would install to C:\WOLF3D, rise of the triad to C:\ROTT etc.

probably because with dos you don't really know if something's going on a floppy or hdd, and around that time windows was just a fancy dos shell that not everyone used. it wasn't until win95 at the very least that they started not doing that

e: actually i'm pretty sure i even remember "doom for windows 95" installing to C:\DOOM95, although that might've been "final doom"? idr exactly, i think they even came out around the same time lol

no, windoom and doom95 were their own things. i have a really old issue of game developer magazine somewhere where they talk about porting doom to windows with "wing", the very early predecessor of directx (i was kid and understood basically none of the technical details in it at the time, but it had "doom" in it, so…)

iirc, it also had a long article with pages of source code for initializing mode-13h in dos

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 20, 2024

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Here's something I just remembered: indiglo™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
timex still does indiglo.