Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is there a definitive and/or official biography of John Coltrane or one thats considered the best? Or just any good biography of John Coltrane really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

tuyop posted:

Looking for more horror like Nathan Ballingrud. Vaguely Lovecraftian takes on traditional horror tropes with flawed protagonists.

I致e read Wounds and North American Lake Monsters and thought they were both great.

North American Lake Monsters is so good I can't even

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Azran posted:

Hey everyone, I'm looking for something in the thriller/crime genre (a genre I've read basically nothing of), the only requirement is that it should have a strong female protagonist. Any recommendations?
I got Rosalie Knecht's Who Is Vera Kelly? in the last Secret Santa. I haven't read it yet, but it seems like exactly what you're looking for.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I知 looking for comedies about monks and/or nuns. I know the Decameron has several, but where else should I look? Also, I could use a good resource on medieval monastic life.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Alright, thanks for the suggestions, everyone. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I知 looking for comedies about monks and/or nuns. I know the Decameron has several, but where else should I look? Also, I could use a good resource on medieval monastic life.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco has some funny parts!

Or are you thinking like the 2017 film The Little Hours?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Droll Stories" by Balzac. Fans of the Little Hours may want to seek out an edition with the Ralph Barton illustrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I値l take a look, thanks!

tuyop posted:

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco has some funny parts!

Or are you thinking like the 2017 film The Little Hours?

Name of the Rose is great! Both sides are good, though, I知 looking both for more earnest depictions of the lifestyle and also comedic variations (e.g. Decameron).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is there anything out there that's sort of like Library at Mount Char?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Not sure if there's actually a better thread for this, but are there any recommendations for books/articles/lecture series/whatever else that can help me be able to spot literary elements in books more easily? I always feel so passive when reading a book, not that it's bad, but curious about working on skills to get more than just the surface reading provides.

Just a quick search I found Anatomy of Criticism which seems like it could help, and I was going to read the well known The Hero With a Thousand Faces to understand a bit how those story arcs tend to go in stories, but figured you guys might know some decent recommendations to help.

Thanks.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Forster is supposedly a good starting point. At the very least it's accessible.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Karl Sharks posted:

Not sure if there's actually a better thread for this, but are there any recommendations for books/articles/lecture series/whatever else that can help me be able to spot literary elements in books more easily? I always feel so passive when reading a book, not that it's bad, but curious about working on skills to get more than just the surface reading provides.

Just a quick search I found Anatomy of Criticism which seems like it could help, and I was going to read the well known The Hero With a Thousand Faces to understand a bit how those story arcs tend to go in stories, but figured you guys might know some decent recommendations to help.

Thanks.

Videos:
:coffee: I like this free online Yale course, The American Novel Since 1945 with Amy Hungerford. You can find more free Yale literature courses here
:coffee: CrashCourse now has a Literature series

Books:
:coffee: How To Read Literature Like a Professor by Forster is a good start, in that it's approachable and has a light-hearted conversational pace. Forster provides a nice foundation for noticing details, themes, motifs, and symbols, provides a nice introductory of what these things could mean, and the questions a reader should be asking themselves while they're reading. The recommended reading list at the end is pretty cool.

:coffee: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabakov. One of the greatest novelists discusses how important the details are to making a great story. Can be a little intimidating, but it's really just a Lit 101 class taught by a charming bookish curmudgeon.

:coffee: A better book than The Hero With A Thousand Faces is Roland Barthes's Mythologies

The Hero With a Thousand Faces is okay. Campbell's knowledge of myths and folk tales is interesting, and his Hero's Journey is a nice concept to know and understand, since so many writers have internalized it (for better and worse), but it's really just one specific reference point. There are plenty of people who (justifiably) hate Campbell, and his stuff gets very New-Age.

If you see or hear another book about literary theory, criticisms and analysis, pick it up! They're super cheap at used book stores, online book shops, etc.

Podcasts:
:coffee: Michael Silverblatt's radio show/podcast, KCRW's Bookworm, is an excellent show. 30 minute interviews with authors conversationally discussing their novel(s)/short stories/poetry. While the show isn't academic, Silverblatt's natural curiosity and infectious love for literature inspires a lot of great questions and answers, and, to me, seems to be the type of analysis you want to perform. The show's been around since the late 80's, so if a notable author has published a book since then, most likely they have an interview. But it's such a great show, any episode is insightful, whether or not you know the author or book.
:coffee: Overdue is another casual book podcast where they read a well-known book that 'everyone should read' and discuss the things they got out of it. Again, criticisms and analysis through funny conversations, discussions and questions they have.
:coffee: The Casual Academic is more academic than the other two podcasts, but it's still a nice listen. I have only listened to a few episodes, but I think it's a great listen.

Threads:
:coffee: OscarDiggs is in a similar pursuit and has a thread for becoming a better reader. Participate in that!
:coffee: Participate in any Book of the Months that interest you! Discussion and asking questions about what you're reading is how you become a better reader.
:coffee: We have a Lit Thread where you can be condescended and insulted regularly while also finding your new favorite book. There's almost 500 pages of poo poo-talking posts, and most of the posters read good and interesting books you'd otherwise never hear about. I guarantee you can find your next favorite book by reading through that thread. If you post, don't take being dunked on personally.

What you will gather from these resources, at least, is that becoming more critical and analytical of literature is not a singular pursuit. It is an ongoing curiosity. Read the classics. Read poetry. Read difficult, challenging books. Study up on philosophy, religion, history, etc. The more knowledge you have to draw from, the more insightful a reader you will become. Also, take the time to write about what you've read. Not a review. Talk about the ideas, the themes, any theories or thoughts you had. You'd be surprised how many ideas you'll discover in just trying to articulate what you've read. Also, The Book Barn discord is a place you can talk in real-time with other goons about what everyone's reading.

That said, don't forget the main reason for becoming a better reader is because reading is enjoyable and insightful and enriching.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 26, 2019

Tom Yum
May 6, 2013
Looking for a reasonably readable work on the history of the American labor movement. When I was a young idiot, I pretty much tuned out all of the stuff about the late 19th/early 20th century labor movements in history class, and now that organized labor is on the march again (and I'm not quite as stupid) I'm interested in learning more about it. I'd prefer something that covers more ground and broader themes rather than a history of one specific aspect.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

There is Power in a Union, Phillip Dray

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Forgot to say huge thank you for this incredible reply.

One small follow up, downloaded some of the Overdue episodes, is it something that's best to listen to before (doubt this one), after or while reading the book in focus?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Karl Sharks posted:

Forgot to say huge thank you for this incredible reply.

One small follow up, downloaded some of the Overdue episodes, is it something that's best to listen to before (doubt this one), after or while reading the book in focus?

You're welcome!

I feel like you can listen to Overdue episodes whenever. They're sure to spoil plot points--kinda hard not to--but they try to avoid ruining major twists. In my opinion, anything they talk about will just give you more context and awareness instead of outright ruining anything.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good horror books in the last 2-3 years?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ulio posted:

Thomas Olde Heuvelt's Hex was published in English in 2016.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

The author of North American Lake Monsters (and if you have not read that, you are seriously missing out) has a new collection out; haven't read it myself yet but the opinion in the horror thread seem mostly positive.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm looking for a fairly upbeat / mildly comical adventure book set before 1800. Not sure why. Swashbuckling or mystery or anything, really, as long as people go on an adventure and it isnt going to be grimdark violent

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I'm looking for a fairly upbeat / mildly comical adventure book set before 1800. Not sure why. Swashbuckling or mystery or anything, really, as long as people go on an adventure and it isnt going to be grimdark violent

Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon sounds perfect.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Three Musketeers would seem to fit the bill.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

don quixote

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oh dammit I meant to include Treasure Island in the botm poll this month

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Stringent posted:

Keep an eye out for a modern version if you go with this one (I have Eleanor Hochman's), as most editions unconscionably use a censored Victorian translation.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stringent posted:

ulvir posted:

don quixote

Dirty Frank posted:

Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Chabon sounds perfect.

Thanks! For some reason I hadn't considered 'books written before 1800'

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

This is a super specific book request: does anyone have any books on what makes something an art form? I'm talking about the reasons why we consider movies/painting/whatever to be a particular art form. It can be from a historical perspective (when did the concept of 'serious art come from'), a political perspective (when did a particular art form became recognized as art) or philosophical perspective (what even is art).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

stratofarius posted:

This is a super specific book request: does anyone have any books on what makes something an art form? I'm talking about the reasons why we consider movies/painting/whatever to be a particular art form. It can be from a historical perspective (when did the concept of 'serious art come from'), a political perspective (when did a particular art form became recognized as art) or philosophical perspective (what even is art).

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance touches on that philosophical perspective of what is art / what is good art. I was scared off for a long time by its hippy-dippy reputation but it's a really great book.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, that's a good non-obvious suggestion, it is an interesting read and does spend a lot of time dwelling on not quite art, but the human aspects of what is meant by quality. Which is arguably right next door.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

stratofarius posted:

Art & Artist by Otto Rank is directly what you want.

What Are You Looking At? by Will Gompertz approaches the question through a lens of Modern Art

The Story of Art by E.H. Gombrich approaches the question through the history of art throughout mankind's existence.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 13, 2019

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just watched the film Stan and Ollie (a brisk 90 minutes, though the facts can't support the drama the movie wants to create in that time). I'm trying to find a biography of the Laurel and Hardy comedy team (great) or of Stan Laurel in particular (better). Not much seems to be in print, and what is seems to be more in the "loving tribute" mode, or "survey of their films" mode, rather than a true biography.

Odd, specific request, but I figure there's enough overlap between biography fans and fans of classic comedy that I might get lucky.

EDIT: Alternatively, would anyone recommend the fictionalized biography of Laurel ("He," by John Connolly). It seems interesting if the real thing isn't available, but I've seen mixed reviews.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I've got a weird request. Are there any books (or even documentaries) about the day to day internal operations of the CIA? I don't mean the shady secret stuff, but the really mundane stuff like what happens when an expense report gets rejected, how much trouble you get into if you lose your gun, or how you get the IT guy to fix your laptop full of secret data that just crashed. I know they're typically really hush-hush about how they work, but it feels like there's more information on the actual secret stuff they do than there is on what it's like just working day-to-day at the agency which seems strange.

Thanks!

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Silvergun1000 posted:

I've got a weird request. Are there any books (or even documentaries) about the day to day internal operations of the CIA? I don't mean the shady secret stuff, but the really mundane stuff like what happens when an expense report gets rejected, how much trouble you get into if you lose your gun, or how you get the IT guy to fix your laptop full of secret data that just crashed. I know they're typically really hush-hush about how they work, but it feels like there's more information on the actual secret stuff they do than there is on what it's like just working day-to-day at the agency which seems strange.

Thanks!

This may not be precisely what you're looking for, but I've heard excellent things about a book called The National Security Enterprise: Navigating the Labyrinth. It's about organizational culture, interagency disputes, bureaucracy, and all that junk that goes into and gets in the way of national security policymaking. One of the chapters is specifically on the CIA, and if that's not enough, you can always look at the sources cited in that chapter.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Karenina posted:

This may not be precisely what you're looking for, but I've heard excellent things about a book called The National Security Enterprise: Navigating the Labyrinth. It's about organizational culture, interagency disputes, bureaucracy, and all that junk that goes into and gets in the way of national security policymaking. One of the chapters is specifically on the CIA, and if that's not enough, you can always look at the sources cited in that chapter.

That sounds perfect, thank you! I bought a copy and am really looking forward to reading it.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Silvergun1000 posted:

That sounds perfect, thank you! I bought a copy and am really looking forward to reading it.

Awesome! I should really read it at some point myself, but I've already got a heck of a backlog--which doesn't stop me from buying new books, but that's just the nature of the beast. The beast being a lack of self-control.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Any books you guys can recommend on suicidology? There are a lot I can find through Google but I'd prefer one recommended by y'all.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mira posted:

Any books you guys can recommend on suicidology? There are a lot I can find through Google but I'd prefer one recommended by y'all.

It's probably not what you're looking for really but Emile Durkheim's Suicide, published in 1897, certainly fits the bill. It's considered a foundational text of sociology, however considering its age you'd have to take any of its conclusions with a heaping helpful of salt. Really its more the kind of thing you read if you are interested in the development of Sociology as as field and its methods rather than to get a detailed and modern overview of the psychology and epidemiology of modern suicide.

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
I've read the Farseer trilogy and am at book 2 of the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb currently (didn't read the Liveship books - hope that wasn't a mistake), is the The Rain Wild Chronicles worth it or should I skip to The Fitz and the Fool trilogy if I prefer following Fitz' destiny? It would be great if they were just as good.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't like them as much. Liveships is worth reading though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to suggest my book club read a Toni Morrison novel in honour of her passing.

Is Beloved the best place to start? Or would you recommend something else?