Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Das Volk posted:

I have no idea what they think they're doing putting those on that car, that's what, an additional 15% on top of the base price?

I could absolutely see, if I were an absurdly rich F1 driver/oil sheik/whatever who wanted one to go with my million pound cars as a luxurious track hooner, getting that. If the price itself is nothing to the buyer, then the price +15% is not much more of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The best part about ceramic brake pricing - $10k is what they charge after deducting the cost of the steel brakes that you didn't get. The actual stand alone cost is significantly more.

On the other hand they do last a long time.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Das Volk posted:

I have no idea what they think they're doing putting those on that car, that's what, an additional 15% on top of the base price?

"Porsche offers them, so we must, too."
"OK. The margins on this option are fat and we'll sell at least a few. "

I really don't think the reasoning went any deeper than that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Aren't ceramic composite rotors supposed to be good for very nearly the life of the vehicle? (Provided they aren't abused that is)

E: In aviation we've been using them for a bit more than thirty years, and they've been found to last up to three times longer than steel rotors, with the added bonus of improved stopping power and lighter weight.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 27, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

Normal cast iron vented rotors and multi-pot callipers are standard and will be fully up to the task, even on track. There is really no reason to get the CCCBs given the absurd cost.

I have no idea what the BMWs cost but if I were buying a Porsche that I planned to keep I would absolutely buy the PCCBs.
They are light as hell, are supposed to last over 100k and will pretty much never ever fade no matter how hard you push it (plus you get the baller yellow calipers).
On a 9x1 car, doing the brakes front and rear twice (probably 30-40k miles depending on how hard you drive it) will put you right at the initial cost.
The composite brakes would only be worn half way by then. They do also help resale as well.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Bugdrvr posted:

I have no idea what the BMWs cost but if I were buying a Porsche that I planned to keep I would absolutely buy the PCCBs.
They are light as hell, are supposed to last over 100k and will pretty much never ever fade no matter how hard you push it (plus you get the baller yellow calipers).
On a 9x1 car, doing the brakes front and rear twice (probably 30-40k miles depending on how hard you drive it) will put you right at the initial cost.
The composite brakes would only be worn half way by then. They do also help resale as well.

Hey man it's your (hypothetical) 8+ grand, but even the PCCBs don't make sense from an operational cost perspective.

While the CC rotors can indeed last over 100K miles, that's only under ideal-to-moderate conditions. Heavy track use will shorten their lifespan considerably. They're also fragile as hell - minor chips, nicks, or cracks can render them unsafe to use and you can do this as easily as carelessly removing a wheel from the car. Also, the brake pads won't last as long as the rotors under even ideal conditions, so you still have to replace those a few times. And because the rotors are so fragile, lots of people replace pads with tons of life left because they don't want to risk any damage to the rotors.

I've never had brake job labor quoted from a porsche dealer, but there's almost no way it can be expensive enough to make up the cost difference given that a replacement set of CC Rotors is eighteen loving thousand dollars, and iron rotors are <$1k. This is even more true if you turn your own wrenches.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Das Volk posted:

I can see those selling like hotcakes in the Los Angeles market. The dealer will simply only show those on the floor, and someone with a mid-life crisis or the child of someone rich-enough will just buy it not knowing or caring. People who really insist they will drag the M3 down from storage.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Aren't CC brakes known for being a bit weird until they warm up as well? Seems they're great on a track where you can keep 'em heated up, but probably not so nice when it's 40 degrees and raining or worse if you live in a place that gets a real winter. Then again I guess if you can afford a $10k brake option you've probably got a winter car or three.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was a decade ago and there were several supercars that avoided CC brakes on that basis, but the warmup issue has largely been resolved now. I'm assuming they've done this through different pad compositions and/or variable brake boost systems that clamp down harder when the car is cold.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The composite brakes out today are excellent when cold. They come as options on Cayennes and Panameras, you couldn't really tell a soccer mom to do a warmup lap before taking the kids to school.

As far as longevity I'll admit that I haven't seen any at 100K yet but today I worked on a heavily tracked GT3 with 34K on it and the pads had a little higher than 50% of the material left. The rotors themselves were in excellent condition.
This guy would have gone through at least 3 sets of regular pads and rotors by now. At ~$1800 for parts alone each time, per axle, the PCCBs start to make sense.

Anyway, sorry for the derail.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate that mentality, like the instant something breaks in even the smallest possible way, it's completely worthless and needs to be replaced with a brand new item. I've seen people throw stuff in the trash that could have been fixed easily, sometimes the only thing wrong was a bit of cosmetic damage. They could at least have given it to a thrift store or something instead of trashing it!

Consumerism, man.

I love people that do that poo poo. loving right, throw away that lovely old car. Lemme buy it from you, cash right now. I'll give you $500 more than carmax. Then I super clean the fucker (loving clean cars sell!), fix whatever lame problem it has and resell for $2,500 more.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is how it starts. Four years later you're standing in your car's engine bay, wondering how it all went so wrong right.

This is a picture my wife took of me years back entitled "I've lost control of my life."

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

This is a picture my wife took of me years back entitled "I've lost control of my life."

How are those heaters? I'm thinking of grabbing one. My little old ceramic heater is struggling to keep up with the frozen wasteland that is my garage.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

How are those heaters? I'm thinking of grabbing one. My little old ceramic heater is struggling to keep up with the frozen wasteland that is my garage.

drat thing pisses me off. You can't adjust the angle of the head on the thing at all, completely fixed. So instead of throwing heat down the underside of whatever I'm working on, it just uselessly heats the grill of the truck. So you'd think "I'll outsmart the dumb little heater and shim the base on it", but it has a switch underneath to detect if it's fallen over or whatever and as soon as the switch releases, the thing emits a terrible buzzing sound and cuts power to the heater. Anyway, some sheet-metal screws jambed into the tip-over switch fixed that and made it terribly unsafe I'm sure, but it works for me now. It can throw heat pretty well, enough to keep me comfortable even at the far end of the truck, as long as it's pointed at me that is. It's like a spot-beam of warm, get outside the spot and it's cold again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My dad ran a kerosene forced air heater in the garage when we lived in Alaska and managed to move into a house without a heated garage.

Turned the place into a sauna, those things do not mess around when it comes to producing heat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

My dad ran a kerosene forced air heater in the garage when we lived in Alaska and managed to move into a house without a heated garage.

Turned the place into a sauna, those things do not mess around when it comes to producing heat.

You also get some pretty awesome spirit visions when the door is closed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

xzzy posted:

Yeah I've worked on many a piece of farm equipment and dressed out a few deer in an unheated workshop with one of those bad boys going. You went from seeing your breath to needing to strip down to t-shirts rather quickly.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Yeah, we used one of those for band practice in a Morton building years ago. Stayed nice and warm, but the guitars couldn't hold a tune for poo poo.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Probably more along the lines of lazy worker, but here is some plating failure:

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Speaking of PCCBs

When we tell you that you need tires because your cords are showing it doesn't mean forget all about it and drive around for a few weeks until the tire is so worn it splits in half (crappy photo but the inner bead is still happily seated).

Lucky guy. He managed this and didn't damage the wheel or the car.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

How the hell is it so drat shiny?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
It's wet, you can tell by the water droplets on the fender. I am also going to guess that a lot what is visible is probably the inside of the tire with less UV exposure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Friar Zucchini posted:

How the hell is it so drat shiny?

If I had to guess, the heat probably re-vulcanized the rubber while it was in motion.

e: I guess it could be wet too.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Crossposting from the terrible car stuff thread.

jaegerx posted:

The ghost is coming from inside the car

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f14_1393634596

How does that even happen.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

-Zydeco- posted:

:catstare:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

-Zydeco- posted:

Defective or misadjusted power steering pressure control valve.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

-Zydeco- posted:

I saw a similar video a while back, except it was a Lexus of some sort. It's been a while since I saw it, but if I remember right I think the explanation for that one was that interference from a poorly shielded aftermarket HID ballast was interfering with the electric power steering.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLHWgAmx3Iw
Don't see the explanation for it though, can't remember where I read that thing about the HID interference.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 2, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Black88GTA posted:

poorly shielded aftermarket HID ballast

interfering with the electric power steering.

This gives me hope. Hope that the cars will rise up and beat the poo poo out of their owners* for installing lovely HIDs.

* or at least their hands.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
While I can't speak for the new electric power-steering systems, an old school hydraulic one will straight up break your arms if it does that and you happen to have your arm through the wheel, loving with the gauge cluster or whatever. Always make sure you have the power-steering set up properly before trying to zero-out the trip odometer, kids. :stare:

Source: my awesome as gently caress high-school automotive teacher, who saw this happen to an old co-worker.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

This gives me hope. Hope that the cars will rise up and beat the poo poo out of their owners* for installing lovely HIDs.

* or at least their hands.

I've seen Chinese HID ballasts blacken their cases from overheating, it wouldn't surprise me if there's been a few car fires from it.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Edit: Wrong tread.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 3, 2014

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
On the 240sx reversed power steering lines (feed connected to supply, supply connected to feed) will cause the wheel to flail around like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQJt17uYls4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty much any car with hydraulic power steering (rack and pinion, not sure about recirculating ball) will do that if you reverse the lines to the rack. I've done it before by accident at work; it was an interesting test-drive.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I thought that the feed and return lines had different sized fittings on everything specifically to prevent that sort of thing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hahahahaha, oh you! Nah lots of cars have unbelievably lazy design and the only difference is one hex fitting will be 'taller' than the other so you can get a pipe spanner on it more effectively, but this doesn't help with the positioning if you're reassembling something taken apart by someone else two weeks ago.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Things like that are the reason I want to strangle so many people I've never met.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah reading the Chilton manual really gave me some perspective on how easy a lot of car maintenance is. It only took me two hours to install a custom radiator, and I was suddenly super pissed when I remembered the cost of getting my previous car's radiator FAN replaced through a shop; it was apparently held in with three clips and plugged in.

I did the same thing. Called a shop to ask how much the radiator and thermostat replacement was on my F150. They quoted me at like 1k parts and labor and I was like 'gently caress that' tore it apart in my back yard on a Saturday afternoon and when I got stuck had a coworker come by because I promised him a 12 pack. The feeling when done was glorious.

Next up is replacing my brake rotors because they are chewed to poo poo for some reason.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Plinkey posted:

I did the same thing. Called a shop to ask how much the radiator and thermostat replacement was on my F150. They quoted me at like 1k parts and labor and I was like 'gently caress that' tore it apart in my back yard on a Saturday afternoon and when I got stuck had a coworker come by because I promised him a 12 pack. The feeling when done was glorious.

Next up is replacing my brake rotors because they are chewed to poo poo for some reason.

This effect is magnified quite a bit when you own a BMW. Blower motor is somewhere around 1500 at the dealer, I replaced it for like a hundred bucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

revmoo posted:

This effect is magnified quite a bit when you own a BMW. Blower motor is somewhere around 1500 at the dealer, I replaced it for like a hundred bucks.

The BMW wanted over $800 for the mass airflow sensor for my 540. Napa wanted over $400. A lot of VWs use the exact same sensor, which napa had for $170.

The dealer would probably charge a grand to spend 5 minutes swapping it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
BMW dealers are hilarious. $500 for ONE front caliper on an e36. Not even an M3.