Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kazvall posted:

Reznor did all the sounds for quake, right? I can hear the sounds of picking ammo boxes up, in my dreams. Ching Ching!

Yeah, and the music.

Still right up there with Diablo for the best soundwork, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

catlord posted:

Well I'm excited. Even if it's only half as good as Wolf:TNO, it'll be lots of fun.

Wolf is a good game. I don't know why you'd figure it would be half as good, I'm expecting far worse :ohdear:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kazvall posted:

Reznor did all the sounds for quake, right? I can hear the sounds of picking ammo boxes up, in my dreams. Ching Ching!

Quake's sound effects are so goddamn good and it's probably the underrated star of the game. Two effects stick out for me: the armor pickup (ching ching!) or the nailgun firing. The sounds made the lovely little nailgun seem so badass and cool.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, and the music.

Still right up there with Diablo for the best soundwork, IMO.

Besides the theme song, the ziggurat vertigo track just matches the gameplay so well it gives me chills. We love you, Trent. Please start drinking again.

And yes I was confusing the armor pickup sound with the ammo, though they are very similar. Oh man the sound of quad damage wearing off is perfect. And the sound certain monsters make when they see you, "eoooooughh!".

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 10, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zaphod42 posted:

Wolf is a good game. I don't know why you'd figure it would be half as good, I'm expecting far worse :ohdear:

Wolf is a fantastic game. I'm hoping that at the very least it's half as good (please be more).

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If it does flop, I vote we rush in with a plan to save the franchise and try to get Zenimax funding. (The plan being, of course, to make Doom IV on a modified idtech1, retroactively declare Doom 64 Doom III, and say that non-roman-numeraled games other than the first don't count. It'd probably be profitable too, seeing how little money you'd have to put into it...)

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
By the way, did anyone else notice that the Cyber Demon's missile launcher has "UAC" printed on it?

I guess it means the demons became some sort of unholy fusion between hellish form and human technology, but I don't really know how to feel about that. One of the things I like about iD games is that Hell has the same type of technology as earth, only a hundred times more brutal. It really provided a weird and awesome flavour. See also: Quake's Ogre-with-a-chainsaw-and-grenade-launcher.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Or, you know, Hell is taking over Mars and Earth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The trailer strongly implies that people purposely grafted machine parts onto the demons, at least it does to me.

"We let them in...fused an unholy union of flesh and metal"

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Could be "Fused; an unholy blah blah blah" and the VA just read it quickly.

What I'm saying is that it's way way way too early to say the game sucks based on the first teaser.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Keiya posted:

If it does flop, I vote we rush in with a plan to save the franchise and try to get Zenimax funding. (The plan being, of course, to make Doom IV on a modified idtech1, retroactively declare Doom 64 Doom III, and say that non-roman-numeraled games other than the first don't count. It'd probably be profitable too, seeing how little money you'd have to put into it...)

no, you make cabinet machines that let people play Brutal Doom at bars and stuff (it has four sides so four people can play at once). You might have to vomit-proof the hardware for a bar, but you can also tweak the FOV to minimize drunk/hungover nausea.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

jerkstoresup posted:

Perkristian tracked down the source of almost every Doom sound effect and made a wad with improved sampling and quality for each sound, and recreated some the best he could.

I just tried it out and some things sound "clearer" for lack of a better term but it's all very flat and tinny. Not really an improvement in my opinion.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Quake's sound effects are so goddamn good and it's probably the underrated star of the game. Two effects stick out for me: the armor pickup (ching ching!) or the nailgun firing. The sounds made the lovely little nailgun seem so badass and cool.

I will always remember the "ping!" sound grenades make when they hit the ground. It's easily one of my favorite Q1 sound effects.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

closeted republican posted:

I will always remember the "ping!" sound grenades make when they hit the ground. It's easily one of my favorite Q1 sound effects.

Its always funny when reading stuff like this and hearing the sound effect clearly in your mind. :allears:

I remember the flying monsters strange wails and other sounds clearly.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

We've discussed this before in this thread but the Quake 64 soundtrack is interesting since it uses a lot of game sounds as instruments. Listen to Level Completed, you can hear health pickups, doors, and even the signature grenade bounce.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sobatchja Morda posted:

By the way, did anyone else notice that the Cyber Demon's missile launcher has "UAC" printed on it?

I guess it means the demons became some sort of unholy fusion between hellish form and human technology, but I don't really know how to feel about that. One of the things I like about iD games is that Hell has the same type of technology as earth, only a hundred times more brutal. It really provided a weird and awesome flavour. See also: Quake's Ogre-with-a-chainsaw-and-grenade-launcher.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The trailer strongly implies that people purposely grafted machine parts onto the demons, at least it does to me.

"We let them in...fused an unholy union of flesh and metal"
Yeah I dunno if it means that or if the demons are appropriating human technology for themselves.

Did the Cyberdemon in Doom 3 have any UAC logos on it?

I guess it could be the Cyberdemon rebuilding/repairing itself with human tech after Doom 3.

In the original Doom I always assumed the demons just had cyber stuff themselves, because why not.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Does anyone know how different the PlayStation version of quake2 is? I have fond memories of playing with a multitap and just owning my friends outright. As far as sounds in that game, you have to give it to the railgun and the wonderful jumping noises. Huuaahh huaaahh ooooohhhhhhhhh

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Pretty sure Quake is also the game where falling damage is represented by the sounds of your legs splintering. :stonk:

e: I should say that it started that tradition, since as Segmentation Fault said, Half-Life and TF2 also do this.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 11, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yep, it really does sound like they had people jump off buildings to record their legs breaking. If they combined it with the heretic falling scream it would be perfect.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Pretty sure Quake is also the game where falling damage is represented by the sounds of your legs splintering. :stonk:

Half-Life and Team Fortress 2 both do this as well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kazvall posted:

Does anyone know how different the PlayStation version of quake2 is? I have fond memories of playing with a multitap and just owning my friends outright. As far as sounds in that game, you have to give it to the railgun and the wonderful jumping noises. Huuaahh huaaahh ooooohhhhhhhhh

Quake 2 for the PS1 had almost completely different levels, in both single and multiplayer. It plays ok on emulators, since you can hack together a functional dual stick control scheme.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
My autismal self has started doing video commentary/LP-ish stuff for Marathon Phoenix, which is the mod that I made for Marathon. I use the videos to comment on level design choices and I try to tie the commentary into other early FPSes like Doom. The videos were more targeted at the Marathon forums than this thread, but you might find them interesting too.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Quake 2 for the PS1 had almost completely different levels, in both single and multiplayer. It plays ok on emulators, since you can hack together a functional dual stick control scheme.

I see. This was a time before dual sticks so luckily I didn't know what I was missing.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yeah I dunno if it means that or if the demons are appropriating human technology for themselves.

Did the Cyberdemon in Doom 3 have any UAC logos on it?

I guess it could be the Cyberdemon rebuilding/repairing itself with human tech after Doom 3.

In the original Doom I always assumed the demons just had cyber stuff themselves, because why not.

I always took it that the forces of hell found a bunch of human toys laying around, then decided to crudely reverse-engineer them. Cue mechanical horrors.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It wasn't so much a "ping" to me as a "conk conk conk"

But yeah that sound ruled :allears:

RyokoTK posted:

Those were good too.

Don't forget "QUAD DAMAGE WHUMMMMMMM"

Oh wait, I take it back. The most memorable Quake 1 sound effects were all Grunts breathing.

Keiya posted:

I kind of want this to seriously happen

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember going out of my way to make a new sound effect for The Original in TF2, so that instead of the normal crit noise, it explicitly made the Quad Damage sound. I almost wonder why it didn't to begin with!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Segmentation Fault posted:

Half-Life and Team Fortress 2 both do this as well.

I'm pretty sure the Half-Life sound is the exact same audio as Quake (it being the basis for the game engine) and TF2 probably uses it just to continue the tradition.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

haveblue posted:

I'm pretty sure the Half-Life sound is the exact same audio as Quake (it being the basis for the game engine) and TF2 probably uses it just to continue the tradition.

No, it's different. The Q1 crunch is a lot more loud and meaty-sounding than the one in HL1. The Q1 sound makes you think "holy gently caress, that had to hurt!", while the HL1 sound is "ohhh. ouch!".

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Unholy Realms is a really great wad for Doom. Thanks to whoever recommended it.

Also, I uploaded a pack of Doom add-ons that provide a sort of "Vanilla-Plus" experience. They should be compatible with all vanilla map-packs.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/je7pa8bc6q3ad31/Doom_Bouchacha_Pack.zip

This includes:
- PK's Smooth weapons: modified so that the pistol/shotgun/chaingun have vertical spread too (proportional to the SSG). This does reduce their effectiveness as sniping weapons, but also gets rid of the completely straight bullet-holes the normal weapons leave behind.
- PK's upgraded SFX
- Doom Expanded HUD: made to work with the modified weapons. Very clean HUD but worth it for the 'berserker' status icon alone.
- Pistol Start: made to work with the modified pistol
- Alternative Palette: De-saturates the greens and blues and makes it a bit 'warmer' and a lot less ugly IMO
- Bloodfix: Isn't it annoying how cacodemons bleed red? This is made to match the alternative palette.
- Smart Scavenger: Walk over a box of bullets when you have 399 and instead of swallowing the whole thing it cascades into clips.
- Sprite Fix (SPRFIX13.WAD Doom 2 only): Properly aligns sprites and makes other small modification in the vein of correcting errors. Ex. Punching revenants do not 'jump forward' when viewed from the side.

I already posted these in the OP but here there in one zip file. Unzip it and have fun.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 13, 2014

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Bouchacha posted:

Also, I uploaded a pack of Doom add-ons that provide a sort of "Vanilla-Plus" experience. They should be compatible with all vanilla map-packs.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/je7pa8bc6q3ad31/Doom_Bouchacha_Pack.zip

Awesome, I've been looking for more of these. Thanks for keeping the original wads intact too because I'm gay and have to organize everything.

This one depends on your vanilla tastes but SBrightmaps.pk3 makes monster eyes and some other things glow in the dark, but appear normal in full light.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 12, 2014

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Are there any other significant add-ons that replace the sound in Doom? The sound of weapons specifically.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Doom 4 looks fine so far, not really seeing any reason to be worried other than "NEW GAMES BAD :bahgawd:"

Brovstin posted:

Are there any other significant add-ons that replace the sound in Doom? The sound of weapons specifically.

Why would you want this :colbert:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Doom 4 doesnt really look like anything so far, just a nicely rendered video of a cyberdemon. I remember hearing something about the developers saying it would be closer to the old games than Doom 3 in terms of gameplay though which sounds promising.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Doom 4 looks fine so far, not really seeing any reason to be worried other than "NEW GAMES BAD :bahgawd:"

You haven't seen anything about Doom 4 except a CGI-rendered video, and it bears all the hallmarks of modern "AAA" bullshit checking-off-the-boxes. The nod to the retro with the door sound, the 'gritty dark reboot', the 'new game taking the name of the old one'. What part of that video 'looks fine'?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The stories told about the game's development so far give a lot of reasons to worry.

http://kotaku.com/five-years-and-nothing-to-show-how-doom-4-got-off-trac-468097062
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-id-Software-RVW4012058.htm

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

horse mans posted:

You haven't seen anything about Doom 4 except a CGI-rendered video, and it bears all the hallmarks of modern "AAA" bullshit checking-off-the-boxes. The nod to the retro with the door sound, the 'gritty dark reboot', the 'new game taking the name of the old one'. What part of that video 'looks fine'?

What part of the video looks like anything? Who gives a poo poo? Can we wait until there's some gameplay before we pass judgment?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

RyokoTK posted:

What part of the video looks like anything? Who gives a poo poo? Can we wait until there's some gameplay before we pass judgment?

The video looks like the intentions of the developers and the producers, and informs who we can guess their target audience to be. We can pass judgement on the video. We can't pass judgement on "Doom 4" because none of us have seen Doom 4.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We can pass judgment on the process that has led us to this point, and the incredibly high likelihood of Doom 4 being crap as a result of that process.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Why would you want this :colbert:

Game's been in development like 4 years, been re-designed like 3 times, and as of now all they have for us is a teaser.

There's more than a little reason to be concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

It will be done... When it's done. :smug:

That's always worked out in the past. Look at my clan tag for reference.