Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

super fart shooter posted:

What's changed that allows civilians to go on the offense like this?

This is my fight too. Begone fear!

if I remember right in that this started around version 0.42, it correlates with drunkenness and the resulting personality shifting getting implemented

scamtank fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm finally playing again for the first time in like 2 years. A werelizard showed up at my fort and killed some passing merchants. Then he transformed back into a human, and I got the notification that he had arrived, and he was listed as friendly in the unit screen. But when a bunch of my dwarves went out to pick up the slain merchants' stuff, they saw him, and immediately chased him down and beat him to death with their bare hands, like some kinda dwarven lynch mob. It's an appropriate response, but I was surprised, because the last time I played, civilians were almost perpetually terrified of anything vaguely threatening, and I think they would have either run away or just ignored him. What's changed that allows civilians to go on the offense like this?

Dutch courage

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kirs posted:

They are full now because of the this, and I have feeling that he turned off maximum allowed barrels on this stockpile as Tunicate mentioned. Will tell if it helped, I guess he need to make a new stockpile with allowed barrels to dense a bit current food stockpiles, and turn on barrels there too.

Update: He did turned off barrels on all of his food stockpiles. Everything is fine now. Thanks.

I'm working with Dwarf Therapist right now and looks like managing 50 dwarfs jobs takes a lot of a time. Would you recommend me to continue manual managing or start using autolabor plug-in?

Autolabor isn't really very good. It takes a few minutes to decide on a main job for each dwarf in a migrant wave, sort out the ones that you want to put in the military, etc. each time but after you have around 20 dwarves you probably will not need to fiddle with dwarf labors very much aside from that first time since you probably have somebody with each labor enabled in your fort.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Jazerus posted:

Autolabor isn't really very good. It takes a few minutes to decide on a main job for each dwarf in a migrant wave, sort out the ones that you want to put in the military, etc. each time but after you have around 20 dwarves you probably will not need to fiddle with dwarf labors very much aside from that first time since you probably have somebody with each labor enabled in your fort.

Looks like I was busy with something else and forgot about migrants, and now I have to make it all. Thanks for advise.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What's changed that allows civilians to go on the offense like this?

Booze. Alcohol now actually gets people drunk, including affecting their bravery and immoderation. Dwarves are pretty much perpetually sloshed if you're treating them right, so they're much more willing to fight. Including the occasional bar fight that leaves a corpse or two.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Booze. Alcohol now actually gets people drunk, including affecting their bravery and immoderation. Dwarves are pretty much perpetually sloshed if you're treating them right, so they're much more willing to fight. Including the occasional bar fight that leaves a corpse or two.

Also, elves and humans partying until they die of alcohol poisoning trying to keep up with the dwarves :cheers:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is there a DFhack script / mod that allows you to butcher pets? I know about exterminate but it's kind of a hassle and ironically it feels more like cheating.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You could make it fall down a pit and the butcher would get its corpse.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a DFhack script / mod that allows you to butcher pets? I know about exterminate but it's kind of a hassle and ironically it feels more like cheating.

Magma.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's also probably something you can set in the ethics by allowing the butchering of sentients and citizens, but that will also turn your dwarfs cannibalistic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Buschmaki posted:

You could make it fall down a pit and the butcher would get its corpse.

That's even more of a hassle. I want something I can do through the in-game interface, quickly and simply. I swear this used to exist and I used it, I just can't remember where I found it or how to activate it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I want something I can do through the in-game interface, quickly and simply.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kirs posted:

Looks like I was busy with something else and forgot about migrants, and now I have to make it all. Thanks for advise.

I set 3 custom professions that 90% of immigrants get. If they come in with a useful skill I give them woodcutting (so they will pick up an axe) and let them get on with things.

Useless women get the "Miner" profession. This includes mining, all the indoor food prep jobs except cooking and farming, plus butchery, tanning, wood burning and smelting. Safe(ish) jobs to keep babies and their mothers alive. (I used to use a "Maternity" job to rotate out women who had just given birth, but I never remembered to put them back to their old careers once the baby became a child, so now I just keep most women out of the line of fire entirely). Dwarf fortress made me sexist. :(

Useless men get assigned the 'Military' profession. Having the Military job title makes it easy to find them in the list when I'm looking to assign people to squads, so I don't accidentally send my master weaponsmith into battle. The military profession gives them the basic scutwork plus somewhat dangerous jobs like mechanics, plant gathering, and weaving. If I'm planning a lot of construction I'll add in masonry and/or carpentry, just remember to set the workshops to not allow low-skill workers. If they come in with fishing skill I'll let a few of them keep it active. Oh, and animal training, because war dogs will follow the guy who trained them without being assigned, and if they aren't assigned nobody gets a bad thought about them dying.

Women with martial skill get assigned "Huntress". I like to keep them separated because in a dire emergency women may need to be drafted, and the Huntress job makes it easy to find the women who will be most useful in the military. Assuming a relatively safe wildlife selection, having hunters running around is good for spotting ambushes and thieves, and the hunting helps keep their martial skills from rusting away entirely. They also get the kinda dangerous jobs of weaving, plant gathering, and mechanics. If I'm low on a certain kind of crafter, leather worker or glassmaker or whatever, I'll assign a craft skill to one of the huntresses who has no moodable skill to the job.

Custom labors are a real timesaver. However you devise them, they make it easy assign the latest wave of useless migrants. If you set dwarf therapist to sort by wave then it is easy to figure out who has been assigned already.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Dwarf fortress made me sexist. :(

Looks like I'm also not really familiar with therapist options just yet. You can make a custom profession with particular set of jobs allowed to this dwarf and then just switch it if you want?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Has anyone had issues with not getting any migrants with more than 2 skill points per skill in v43.03?

In other news. I found out that my mayor was a vampire and locked him in a shack outside. I hoped he would take out a couple goblins before he died or something.

Turns out my mayor is/was kind of a badass. That, and the titan didn't realize vampires don't need to breathe.

It went on like this for well over 30 pages before I sent the militia out.

An irl half hour into the fight (half of which was paused, whatever)

Then, after about a season or so had passed and I had replaced my militia's equipment with something slightly better than the NQ/Fine Bronze axes that they had, I decided to bail my vampire out. At the end of it all, he took no damage and became a Legendary+5 Striker, Wrestler, and Fighter.

If I can figure out how to arm him without getting anyone eaten I'm going to put him in plate and send him off.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 19, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Autolabor works fine IMO. Enable it, everything gets done, and I haven't noticed any problems like total scrubs turning my steel bars into garbage at the forge or anything. Maybe I got lucky but it honestly seems fine.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Today I established my first Axedwarf's squad, uniformed in nothing more than a socks, helmets, shields and axes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kirs posted:

Today I established my first Axedwarf's squad, uniformed in nothing more than a socks, helmets, shields and axes.

This is like a rite of passage. You've made it. You're ready.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The game just generated a temple called "The Sanctuary of Authority" dedicated to "Tura Ultramaster the Prime Throne". That is pretty fuckin metal.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

aphid_licker posted:

Autolabor works fine IMO. Enable it, everything gets done, and I haven't noticed any problems like total scrubs turning my steel bars into garbage at the forge or anything. Maybe I got lucky but it honestly seems fine.

It works fine for most people I think. For me it has issues where inexplicably it'll just turn off all the mining labors and I'll be sitting there for 10 minutes going "Why is no one coming to mine this room out? :downs:" It's just easier to turn on labors as I need them or just get the first 30-40 immigrants situated then let the rest of the chips fall as they may.

Then again a third to a half of my population is just drafted usually anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's autobutcher, might be what you're looking for.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 19, 2016

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

can I assign the human mercenaries that petition my fort into the fort's militia?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kirs posted:

Looks like I'm also not really familiar with therapist options just yet. You can make a custom profession with particular set of jobs allowed to this dwarf and then just switch it if you want?

Yeah, there are a couple ways to set up custom professions. The way I find easiest is to manually set a dwarf with all the skills you want for that profession. Then right click that dwarf's name -> Customization -> New Custom Profession from this unit. The new profession box will pop up where you can set the profession name, a special icon if you want, and stuff.

That will add your custom profession to the list in the customization menu, so from then on you can add it to any other dwarf in just a few clicks. Right click on any other dwarf name -> customization -> [profession name here].

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
What's the latest Starter Pack with functioning Therapist?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Solid Poopsnake posted:

What's the latest Starter Pack with functioning Therapist?

The latest one to hit the table is 43.03-r3 from just over a week ago.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Thank you!

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Did dragonflame always melt metal items? Had hundreds of masterwork weapons and armor pieces turn into boiling steel, never to be recovered. I also recall shields being more effective, but I guess not.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Maarak posted:

Did dragonflame always melt metal items? Had hundreds of masterwork weapons and armor pieces turn into boiling steel, never to be recovered. I also recall shields being more effective, but I guess not.

It was bugged so was not melting things. It should melt everything except dragons and cave dragons now. Metal isn't safe.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Shields don't melt when blocking dragonfire though.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Excelzior posted:

can I assign the human mercenaries that petition my fort into the fort's militia?

Yes, they'll never petition for citizenship so all they will do is train and fight. Also the humans will require making larger size clothes/armor or buying it from the human traders, while the elves and goblins in your squads can use the regular size. If you get any animal races some of them will need other custom sizes (for instance, the slug mace man who keeps visiting my fort wears small armor)

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Met posted:

Shields don't melt when blocking dragonfire though.

Dragonfire can't melt steel shields.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

Dragonfire can't melt steel Wooden shields.

Fixed that for you.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is there a whoosh emoticon?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this is a +dadaist deconstruction+. it menaces with spikes of acausality

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Why does my second squad of marksdwarfs do nothing except their captain, they have crossbows, bolts, targets with appropriate direction of shooting, and settings (alert level and schedule) seems right, but they have Soldier (no activity) status.
Looks like I did something wrong again because newcomers in axedwarf's squad do nothing too.

I'll remake military from the scratch, there are too many options I could possibly gently caress up.

Kirs fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 22, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The interface for the game is bad. It needs to be redone.

To train your military is really stupid.
The squad needs to be set to Active in order for them to train in the alerts panel. When you query a place for a barracks, you need to choose the squad and use the 't' key to set that drat squad to train. You'd think that just setting a barracks to a squad will make them train, but that would be to easy. You can't use the squad orders to get them to train. Inactive soldiers sometimes might go and train on their own.

Also make sure to properly designate arrow targets. Make sure they're shooting at them from the right direction. Each archery target counts as their own "room" but it's okay for the floorplan for them to overlap. I just don't recommend your soldiers shoot across the hall to each other. Unless you really want them to.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 22, 2016

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

I guess I don't have quivers for my crossbowmen or I can't order them to equip it, how do I do it?

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
They should auto pickup a quiver if they have bolts assigned in the ammo screen. Then they should pick up the bolts. Easiest way to for me to make quivers was at the leatherworkers.

I had trouble getting them to train their shooting instead of sparring. What I had to do was deactivate their labors, deactivate their training from the armor and weapon racks. This meant they wouldn't train their hammering with their crossbows, unless you want that.

With all that set up, everyone has all the equipment, set the schedule for training in the order menu, then set up the archery targets correctly, and they should go and shoot all your bolts.

I also didn't bother with different bolts for training or combat, but I had iron ore all over the place in my last fort.

Not complicated at all.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Yeah I made quivers just now (had to kill some of the tamed animals) ammo and shooting directions are set up correctly, they all equipped with crossbows, schedule, alert level (everything is done as you tell me and as wiki article says), but thing doesn't work :eng99:, I guises I'll get it later, when I have a free time to actually get into it. I'm not very smart.

Or I chose the laziest sloth-dwarfs for that squad.

Kirs fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 22, 2016

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Like, I just tried to seal the shaft with a troll with a retracting bridge. :downs:

Horizontal one.

Kirs fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It looks like with the new locations nobody gives a drat about zoos, statue gardens or memorial gardens anymore? :( Even the children aren't bothering to visit. Come on, look at all my cool statues, they are tastefully arranged and everything.

In other news, dorf engineers may have invaded earth.

f#a# posted:

Anti-OSHA.jpg: